Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Val - your new avatar made me smile! :) love it!

Edited to add: Happy Birthday! Pamper away! :) xo

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Does anyone know: will Nordie's alter a bra even if you didn't buy it there?

I just got my Lembrassa order (two new lovelies -- picture posts on the forum to come) and the Fantasie is big in the cups.  They clearly are more generous with Fantasie designs than with Freya.  With that said, both bras are almost too big in the band.  I went and measured... I've lost 2 inches around my rib cage!  I used to measure 37 and now at 35.  So I am going to start buying 36 band bras.  If any of you are looking at Fantasie bras -- cups run big.  I do sometimes wear 38D and sometimes 38DD... I am thinking I will try 36D and 36DD in future... maybe another trip to Nordies for a refitting is in order (hmm.... maybe while in Vegas for the reunion :)

With that said, though the Fantasie cups are little big big and the brand new 38 fits comfortably on middle hook (and could probably fit on tightest hooks already)... it does feel and look wonderful! 

• Estel

Lilah - yay for recent purchases & double yay for losing two inches in your band size! : D That's so awesome! Sorry they're a bit big, though. Nordies WILL alter bras you haven't purchased from there...although it may be a little more expensive, worth it IMO.

• Lilah

Chill!  I didn't realize that.  Already checked.  You look so good!

Dawn -- that is great to know!  I will definitely see what they want to alter the cups on this Fantasie.  EDITED TO ADD: Actually I might just try throwing it in the dryer and see if that helps LOL.

I just ordered a 36D bra (pretty, don't know the brand though) on Ebay that was inexpensive.  Going to see how that fits.  :::Someone. Stop.  Me. :::

• Lilah

LOL Cindy -- I know, I know.  Thank god I'm going to busy now that summer is over.  And yet... there is so much damage a gal can do in 10 minutes on the internet, isn't there?

• Lilah

For any ladies looking for wirefree bras... I just noticed this totally sexy one on the Soma site:

http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=10&pageId=1&productId=570002184&viewAll=&prd=Siena+Wirefree+Bra&subCatId=cat6849280&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=4&catId=cat40089&cat=Bras+BOGO+50+off+Select+Bras&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

Hope the link works.  I wish I'd known this existed when I was wearing wirefree!  Model name is Siena if you just want to go to the Soma site and search for it.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

We just got a new wirefree vanishing back bra in today at SOMA. Has a bit more padding at bottom of cup so looks supportive. Also got unlined, non-contoured vanishing back front closure bra in. Haven't tried either on as that style doesn't fit me well in the band, but probably will.

I like the Holly that Suebee was talking about. Even with the padding in the bottom, it felt comfortable when I tried it on, but haven't purchased one....yet!

There is one cami, Brianna, that is not lined. The wires just fit my implants wierdly. Heading over to the pic forum to check out the bras.

Maybe this weekend I will have DH take some pictures.

• Lilah

Yes Delilah please do!

• Estel

Oh, Lilah, I know. We know!  

The only cure I've found:  The death of my computer and it's stay with the geek squad for over a week.  But now it's back.  And I'm afraid.  Very afraid.  Tongue outWinkLaughing 

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166

Hillck, if you are looking for panties that don't show through clothing (especially satin evening dresses), there is a brand called Commando.  You can buy boyshorts, thong and g-string.  They are a bit pricey, but you would only need one for those special occasion dresses.  I tried the thong on with my satin clingy dresses and there were no panties lines at all.  So worth the price to have just one in my lingere drawer.

• Lilah

Dawn -- LOL -- be strong, resist as much as you can!  (That's what I'm trying to do).  Keeping busy helps :)

And wahoo on having the computer back.

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

Thanks Dawne and Val,

I think I will try the Lulumon Ta Ta Tamer II. We have a Lulumon here so I may just pop in and give it a try!

• Delilahbear

Hillck - The vanishing edge undies are really quite nice. They lay flat to your skin and don't move and do not show a line under tight pants. they don't have an edge that is sewn or serged and have some thin lines of silicone to keep them in place. I have tried the high leg, cotton moderate brief and boy shorts in them. The high leg are probably the best, but roll down on my tummy to under the bulge (need the silicone at the waist - LOL) anyhow, they do stay in place and for someone who is always pulling at the edge to keep them where they belong, the vanishing edge is great. Jury is out on the boy shorts as my legs are a bit heavy as I am not petite, but I will have to wear them some more. I wish they made them in XXL instead of XL, but the XL aren't too bad. Usually are buy 3 and get 2 free so are good buy, but don't put in dryer.

• Estel

redsky - Just my opinion ... but I have a tata tamer I that I bought when I wasn't sure what my true size was and it is a cup size too big.  I recently bought a tata tamer II and I don't like it as well.  If you can find a tata tamer I I'd go for that one.  The tamer II, I thought was a little bigger in the band, and just didn't feel as well made as the first one.  

• Delilahbear

hillck - The "Panty Raid" does not include the vanishing edge. I have the high leg that matches the Emma minimizer in Heron Blue Color. It is not bad. I also have the soft with lace on top highleg model. My problem with all of them is my tummy is a bit rounder and they all seem to roll down on me. If you are not long in the rise or have a big butt like me then most of the other styles are fine. Thongs are also inluded the "Panty Raid".

• Estel

I've seen some pretty long line bras ...have any of you worn one post reconstruction?

What is the purpose of a long line bra ...keep everything tight?

Just curious...seen some & been tempted...

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

I just came back from my first bra shopping experience and I came back empty handed.  The only stores I could shop at here was a Macy's and a V.S.  NOTHING FITS .. I am a 36 B but my foobs are flat so there is extra fabric in the cup.  I was dismayed as I am sick of sports bras.  I do wear the lululemon's tata tamer and I am happy with that but really want a true bra!  If I can stop wearing the sports bras will my shape get better?  In other-words .. are they what is making my foobs rather flat?  I have 650 cc mentor high profile .. are they flat?  It doesn't sound like they should be but maybe they are.  I had my exchange 7/20 and will not see the PS again until 10/3.  What is your experience, am I going to have flat foobs for the rest of my life? 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846

brca1953, sorry to hear you are "flat", not sure the answer, I am sure someone will be along with some ideas.  I had my exchange 7/14, high profile 600cc Allergans, I am filling out most 36Cs that I try on, but I did try on a few  with alittle extra fabric at the tip.  Keep trying, don't be discouraged, maybe you can have some fat grafting??   

Hey girls that have had nips and fat grafting, do you need any special garment for your tummy post grafting?  How about bras immediately post op and while graft is taking?

• slinky

Christine, I just had a revision of my exchanged implants and fat grafting.  No nips this time around - a binder is given post grafting.  Still in a surgical bra five days post surgery and still have drains.  fat grafted areas are really painful - was not expecting that much pain from the grafted sites.  Also very deep bruising (which is expected from such an invasion).

• christine47

slinky, I assume they will give me the binder.  I am having nips and he will sew a plastic cap on them for one week, yuk.  Are the drains from the lipo donor sites?  I am hoping PS will be generous on the amount of lipo he does, was yours??

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Red sky and others looking for sports bra. I have the bend on and the TA TA tamer. Another one I love is made by Athleta - check on their site it is underwire and comfortable!

• Estel

brca1953 - have you been fitted at Nordstroms or a specialty mx shop by a surgical fitter?

What are your stats: height, weight, ribcage measurement...we might be able to help...most of us with implants need a "c"or "d" cup because of the width. And most of us are wearing a bra too big in the band.

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

Dawne-Hope    I wish there was a Nordstroms in Boise but there is not.  Salt Lake City or Portland would be the closest.  At Macy's and VS they both did fittings.  Ribcage is 32, bust 38 and I'm 5'4" @ 140 lbs.  I wanted to be a C but think I look plenty big enough a B.  With some styles a 38 B fit better.  There was 1 VS bra I liked but it was so low in the front that my lovely scars showed.   Still curious to know if the sports bras flatten you and if I wore a regular bra would that reverse a bit. 

• slinky

Christine, PS said this is not "lipo" per se, but a small amount of fat is taken to cover certain areas.  He said most people will not see a difference from such a small amount taken.  Because I am thin to begin with, he had to take the small amount from four sites, so I do see contouring in the areas that he took the fat from.  It was approximately two tablespoons that were used.  Of course, I wanted contouring in other areas, but that will be my fat reserve if this first fat grafting gets re-absorbed.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Brca1953:  I would try both a 34 and a 36 band width.  38 is much to big for you.  I didn't have a great fitting at Nordstroms so I went to a Kohl's and went in with 20 or so bras in different sizes--be sure to bring in sizes you wouldn't normally wear--because implants are wide you may be a cup size larger then you think.  Bra bands also vary alot so you have to find which bras fit you--it should fit tight or snug on the first notch and it will stretch out fairly rapidly.  I would also try  bras that have some padding or foam lining to make up for the front that can wrinkle on many unlined bras.  I hope this helps.  Also, I bought 2  bras at 4 weeks that are a bit too big now or just plain uncomfortable because I still had swelling going on in the band area and in the breast area.

• Lilah

Jo (BRCA) I agree with MBJ -- if your rib cage is 32 a 38 is WAY too big.  Try a 34 or a 36 and try both B and C cups.  Options for you to try re: the gap included molded bras (which hold their shape) and bras made of mesh or made of a slightly stretchy material.  I know that Wacoal makes a bra called the Halo bra, for example, that is lacy but also has some give to it (both wired and unwired) so it will retract around your breast (but not pull at it the way a sports bra does).

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

Thanks Vmudrow, I'll check out the Athleta sports bras. I like their workout gear. So far I am happy with my Wacoal molded sports bra for lower-impact activities. It does not have wires, but is supportive. The Nordstrom fitter put me in it post exchange as I am not quite ready for underwires, and it is very comfortable with good side support.

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158

Christine and Slinky,

I had fat grafting at exchange on 8/22.  They didn't take out that much, geez, I'd hoped to go down a size in pants.  Maybe it will work out after the swelling is gone, I don't know.  I did have deep bruising also.  He took from my tummy, inner and outer thighs, and above the knees. My PS suggested I wear bike shorts as a compression garment, I also wore my Spanx.  I'm now at two weeks out and he said if I want to keep wearing them it will help keep the swelling down.  I have worn my surgical bra for the past two weeks, but can now wear a wire free bra per PS.  So, must go to Nordies I guess for a fitting at the appropriate time.

Val - btw, when is the appropriate time?  Being in N TX, which Nordies do you go to?  Do you have a fave fitter?  I'm so excited to wear *more* normal bras!  I have worn Coobies all summer with the TE's and I'm tired of worming into them over my head.  Guesses on size?  I'm 5'6", 135 lbs, rib cage 30 inches.  My implants are Mentor 450 cc's. 

Thanks for any advice!

• christine47

supersally,

How does the area you had the fat grafted area look??  My PS said he would be using fat from flank area, but I would rather he go for the butt and thighs!  I may go ahead and buy the spanx pants, as I don't have bike shorts.  This is not something I could send my DH out to look for.

No guesses on size, I have tried on alot of bras post exchange, biggest mistake, to large a band size and stretching post wash and wear.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

HEY, LADIES! Smile

My apologies for being gone so long, but I must say I had an absolutely amazing 50th birthday celebration!  It all started Friday morning when my doorbell rang, and I open the door to see my oldest son who I haven't seen since Feb when he moved to AL!  The entire weekend was full of fun and friendship - which I know you all would approve of :) - and there's more to come.....I'm off to visit my little sis in SC on Thurs, so will be out of pocket yet again.......I know y'all will take good care of each other, though!