Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Comments

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Wherria, Wherria!!!!!!! HELLO!!!!!

I post irregularly myself. I am happy you had the surgery and can now be settled about that. I too still feel knocked out by all of this. My Onc took me off of Tamoxifen for good recently after I got visual symptoms and she ordered a MRI. Visual symptoms reversed after Tamox was out of my system. It was weirdly hard to go off of any anti hormonal, scary it felt like a security blanket even though everyone of them made me sick.

I do feel more like myself now without the anti-hormonals.

I will look for you to be around a bit more now. Welcome back old friend. I am out in Kirkland WA now having left Glen Ellyn behind after so many years.

Hugs Ginger.

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194

Ginger, were you in Glen Ellyn, IL??!! How did I forget that?!

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796

HELLOOOOOO WARRIORS!!!!!!

Instead of a tremendous echo, I
    actually have a few of you jokers back to chat with!!!

Ginger: That is so cool that you
    are no longer having to see the onc, and you can see the APRN now! That is good as far as I am concerned! Are you amazed that you are still alive? I am almost daily...!

Sorry about your friends aunt, so
    sad :( Worse that it was so sudden.

That is nice that you had your
    friend visit! So much fun to see old
    friends, and good ones at that! I think
    it is great that she sensed you needed a little help. All of our families are
    busy, and it is understandable that your DD, with a toddler and all, can do so
    much, so it is wonderful your friend was able to pitch in. What a good friend that is :)

18" dolls? WOW!
    Did you use the scientific method?!
    Better start saving now, b/c by the time she gets accepted to Harvard or
    Yale, they are likely going to be $150K a year!

I am so glad to hear you went to
    the museum with your DH! That is
    wonderful! I am also you got a
    wheelchair! Get out, get about, and enjoy
    your life, because as we all know, life is very short, so live it up! Keep going out, and I fully expect a report
    that you were apprehended by authorities for wheelchair racing in the
    mall! Dale Carnegie---giving you a
    reputation to live up to!

Nice that the dogs can run
    wild! They must love it! As always, it is wonderful to hear from you-

Wherria: I am so glad to finally
    hear from you, this cannot be overstated! It is okay you left us hanging, but I do so
    enjoy hearing from you, and now knowing you are doing well! What a relief.

My anniversary date: I use the
    first day I saw my onc at Yale, b/c I was going to a hospital nearby my home,
    and if you are commutable to Yale, which I am, I decided to switch. My onc at the old hospital delivered the
    news, gave me a binder and a travel bag and tried to encourage me. In long, mine is 4/13, and I actually saw him
    this year on that date, and he reminded me that was the exact day I saw him all
    those years ago!

Architectural abnormalities are
    quite a scare. Not checking them is
    entirely antithetical, good that you pressed on. It is good that he is open to your suggestions. Very scary that the inconclusive results were
    leading them to "no biopsy."
    Glad you moved beyond your own doubt.
    I am sorry to say, but if we are not feeding kids with these things, and
    they are threatening to kill us, mastectomy is the way to go. Don't forget, with me it was 6 centimeters,
    2.5 cancer, 3.5 cancer and it was in my lymph nodes already. If I went lump, they thought it was 1 cm based
    on the biopsy. I would have been
    dead. Glad you finally elected to go the
    full route.

I don't know how they arrived at
    the idea that it did not look serious based on the MRI? I am so glad you just went beyond all of
    that, and scheduled the surgery. Your
    body was telling you something. I am
    also glad that you shared your story, because don't forget how many people read
    this thread, and how many of them are where we were 5 years ago, and where you
    found yourself just recently. I thank
    you for feeling comfortable enough to share your story with us. It is important that we all continue to
    record here, as this will outlive all of us, and will help millions in the
    fullness of time.

I am not over it either,
    Whitney. I don't think I ever will be. I mean it has given me the chance to transition
    and do other things that I would not have had a chance to do it if weren't for
    cancer, but "over it," no, I agree I will never be able to say that.

Please do make future posts. I try to encourage everyone to talk about
    their lives here, because we have a chronological recording showing a bunch of
    women that started chemo together, and are still here, so even if it is a
    child's birthday party, or more tests b/c of suspicious lumps, I would prefer
    it all be recorded here. We are helping
    so many by doing this, the altruism will long outlive our individual sagas with
    this disease.

This group has helped us all, you
    are correct. I will continue to make
    efforts to keep us going here, largely b/c we are helping others; we are giving
    them hope and helping them look forward.
    The importance of this cannot be overstated.

Thank you for your kind words,
    and thank you so, so, so very much for posting!
    I was so worried, but alas I have no recourse but to wait!!!

I am just so glad you are doing
    well. If ever you want to recon, I have
    an excellent guy in Philly. Based on
    your recovery this time, I doubt you will, but should you change your mind, it
    is Dr. Au at Penn Med. Also Dr.
    Sirletti, also at Penn, is very good.

Sptmm: Are you training for the NY Marathon? I forget if you are going to run it this year. I am likely going to start training in August for 2017. Hope to see you there!

So ladies, we are in the throes
    of Spring, we are all still here, and we are all LUCKY!!!!!!!
    Enjoy the Spring, and remember to post once
    in a while, and it does not have to be about cancer. Let's make it not about cancer, how's
    that?! Seriously, tell us about your
    vacations, promotions, new haircuts, fab dress you got at Nordstrom on
    clearance! Just say something, say
    anything, but most importantly keep in touch, if not for anything else then to
    fortify this record for those yet to join us :)

Happy trails and much love, ladies!

Signed always and forever-

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER!!!!!

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

As I was searching through my saved "favourites" today, I checked in to the group and read Wherria's update. So glad that you advocated for yourself in your health. I think that cancer still stays in everyone's mind to some degree. When it comes to "anniversaries", I'm never sure to celebrate the beginning or end of cancer 1 or cancer 2. Regardless, I am happy to pass the five year mark. Now that Facebook shows those "memory" pages--it shoots up a memory from 2010 and 2011 when I was in the midst of all that treatment. Craziness. All is good on my side--working have two teenage boys--one who is driving (eeeeek) and living life. This year I said to myself that this is the year to do things that I have never done--so far gone to ballet, opera, painting..and we are heading out later this year to Iceland to see the Northern lights--always wanted to do that--no time like the present. Enjoy spring. The weather here in Canada has been wonderful. Lots of love XO

• wherria

Rachel,

What a wonderful adventure - Iceland! Have a splendid time!

• Gingerbrew

Yes Glen Ellyn IL we moved to Seattle a few weeks after my lumpectomy in July of 2010. I haven't been back since but relatives have visited out here.

You were in Winfield right? I hope you are feeling well and getting some decent weather.

I am off of Tamox now and a little nervous about it. I am feeling more like myself though.

good to hear from you, hugs Ginger

• wherria

Ginerbrew,

I remember that now, that you moved right at the beginning. I'm glad to hear you're feeling more like yourself. I stopped all the hormonals after three and a half years. I tried and tried, but I just couldn't handle them. Good for you for hanging in there!

I am having an MRI on Monday for possible bone mets. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Happy May Day everyone!

• Gingerbrew

Wherria how are you doing. I am in your pocket there today, It is always good to have a little company.

I was going to continue on with the Tamox but I began having some serious vision problems which is a side effect. The anti hormonals really did me in over time. Tamox was the only one I tolerated for any length of time. All of it just really does you in. I sure hope your scans are clean. I sort of go into automatic/ frozen in time, when I have been sent for tests.

I will say prayers for you.

Hugs Ginger.

• wherria

Ginger,

I'm sorry the hormonals were so hard for you too. I hated them more than I hated chemo. Also, they made me gain a bunch of weight, which sucks. My MO kept telling me that weight gain was not a side effect of the hormonals, but I know he was wrong. He also told me that fatigue wasn't a side effect. He basically said they didn't have side effects, or at least none that had been shown in any studies. Yeah, right!

My MRI this week was negative for bone mets, but I think I'm going to ask for a bone scan. The reason for that is kind of a long story. But for now, yay! No mets!

Hello to everyone else! It's funny how we (or I, at least) go through stages of dealing with this disease. I'm six years out, and there are times when I hardly think about it, but there are other times, when I feel every bit the cancer patient that I did in the beginning. It is so good to have you all here, ALL the time!

Love and hugs

Whitney

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993

Hi ladies! I came on here to check to see if there were any posts about a question I have, and I want to say hello. I don't check in on you breast cancer sisters as often as I should. I'm doing well, and it's good to hear from the others who've posted. Lizzy, Ginger, Wherria, Rachel, glad all of you are well. I passed 6 years in April, and I passed 5 years in February on my ovarian cancer diagnosis. That one is a special miracle since when I was diagnosed in Feb. 2011, the stats were that I had an 85% chance of not being here today!

Off to post my question and do some research. I have a checkup with my oncologist in August, which will mark my 5 years on AI.I want to come off of it, and I'm sure he'll recommend staying on it an additional five years, especially with the new study that was just released at ASCO. What I'm curious about is, how much do s/e symptoms improve, if at all, when you come off the AI? I've had major QOL issues with it: hot flashes from hell, joint pain, weight gain, fatigue, thinning hair (like someone mentioned), every side effect you can have, plus just generally still don't feel 100%. But that could be because I'm menopausal now, plus 6 years older, and I wouldn't really feel better if I quit the drug? It's hard to decide what to do. If anybody has any experience or advice, I'd appreciate your input. Love to all!

Regina

• 1WonderWoman

HELLO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!

Is it nothing short of insane that a whole bunch of us, many of whom were in their late 30s and early 40s, are here to celebrate our SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY since chemo?!?!?! This is soooo very exciting! My new avatar celebrates the very nice job they did on me! Drs, Au and Kwei were amazing! For any newcomers, Dr. Au has left Smilow and gone back to Penn Med. He is super talented, so don't hesitate to get a consult with him. Unbelievable work. Dr, Kwei, unfortunately, is now in research, so she is not currently a practicing surgeon, but she did very good work as well, and if one is in need of reconstruction, consulting with her is a very good move, should she return to working as a surgeon.

So, my question to the few of you who still frequent this thread, what have you learned about your own resilience and ability to overcome in these past 6 years? I am perfectly stunned that I am still here. I was positive I was dead, like very dead! Every day is a gift. I still feel as if I am only 1 lump from trouble, and these next 4 years are pivotal, as you all know. I hope we are all here to celebrate the 10-year mark, and in the event I am not, I want you all to go and party without me! I think the 10-year deserves a trip to Vegas! I am no gambler, but there is something to do or see in Sin City! I think we should organize a 10-year anniversary party.

LadyinBama: so good to hear from you! You look absolutely fabulous! Your point about an 85% chance of not being here today is exactly what I am talking about. We are all so lucky to have dug deep and found the fortitude to push-on through an arduous battle with that disease. Poor you and Rachel had double doses. I am so happy we are all still here!

This is the article Lady is referring to, btw: https://www.asco.org/about-asco/press-center/news-...

I know it sucks, and b/c of my age, my onc is considering taking me off Tamox and putting me on an A.I.. I don't want to take it, and he said it increases my chances of survival just a bit, but I don't want all of what you are talking about, and that seems to be what a lot of women say about it. That said, were you ever on Tamox? I would not go off of everything entirely, but if it makes sense for you to be on Tamox, why not go back on that if it is an option? If, however, it is not an option, I would stay on. I am actually a bit scared to get off Tamox, truth be known. If it is the A.I. or nothing, I would stay on it. I know, it is awful to put up with all those SEs, but the alternative... I am sorry, Lady, such an awful situation you are confronted with. I still have wicked hot flashes with Tamox, and I am up most of the night. I have all but eliminated carbs from my diet, hoping that would help reduce the flashes, but it really has not had the desired result. All my best to you when making this difficult decision.

Ginger: did you go on an AI? Just wondering. How are you doing these days? Are you settled into your new home yet? I sure hope you have set up a sewing room! I do sew on occasion, and I think of you when I do :) Hope all your pets are well.

Wherria: congrats on no bone mets, but I agree with you entirely about asking for a scan. They do NO scans on me whatsoever. It is downright scary, actually. All they do is feel me for lumps, and they do some bloodwork. The only scan I had since dx was at Dana Farber and it was a head scan, which uncovered I had a broken shoulder! I was so scared when my onc called me and left a msg it was necessary to discuss the results of my scan immediately!

Best of luck with the bone scan, and even more luck to you in trying to get them to do it!

Well, ladies, that is all for now!!!!! I hope you all are enjoying the warm weather!! I enjoy walking in my neighborhood, mainly b/c there are a lot of hills, but I actually like walking the back roads now because the landscaping is beautiful, and the smell of flowers just seems to drift along the breeze. It is gorgeous these days :)

Happy trails to you all!!

• mommichelle
    mommichelle Member Posts: 92

Hey sisters! Long time since checking in. I think of you often and thank God you were all there for me when we were going through everything. Glad to hear that everyone is getting out there and living! My two kids keep me busy and I am enjoying each day. Been a long year (coming up on the anniversary of my father's passing from ALS - such a tough disease), but trying to focus on the beautiful things in life and having fun making memories. <3

• 1WonderWoman

HELLO WARRIORS!!!!!

You all must be LIVING IT UP!

In any case, here we are, at the start of yet another "pink" month!

Mommichelle: good to hear from you! Glad you are doing well, and thanks for stopping by!

Anyone have anything to say? Any updates? Good, bad, indifferent?!

Happy trails, ladies---these are indeed good times that we are all still here :)

Always and forever,

Your Fearless Leader

• 1WonderWoman

Helloooo Warriors!

I felt compelled to share some information with you all, as this nursing education is giving me so much good info, I just could not help but pass it on:

Angiogenesis means food that promote blood vessel growth. Anything that we eat that promotes the development of new blood vessels is cancer's BFF. Cancer loves to grow, we all know this.

That said, foods and herbs that are antiangiogenetic are what every person with cancer should be consuming copious amounts of.

All kinds of berries---strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries---all anti-angiogenetic. Cherries are as well, and in our part of the country, now that the fresh ones are out of their very short season, the dried ones will do.

Kale chips are a great way to get kale in us, in an somewhat tasty way (I cannot lie!), but this, too, is anti-angiogenetic.

Freezing red grapes make for a great treat, and having green tea with nutmeg is, again, a very easy way to get anti-angiogenetic food.

Eat as much garlic, artichokes, tomatoes, ideally in a salad form, sprinkled with as much turmeric and parsley you can tolerate, and this is the backbone of one of the best anti-angiogenetic salads a person can ever consume. There is also the luscious roasted garlic---eat as much as you can!

All of these foods starve out cancer, and will stop its very deleterious proliferation.

Research anti-angiogenetic food, as labs all over the world are preparing to put it in a pill form, but until that happens, help your loved ones EAT TO LIVE!

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering about antiangiogenesis, there is something called chondroitin sulfate, that is naturally occurring in cartilage. Chondroitin sulfate negates the development of blood vessels in cartilage, which is also why we can enjoy so many sports and activities that we do.

Basically our cartilage has no nerves either, so it does not feel anything. It is in the study of chondroitin sulfate that the great medical minds found hope in something that is naturally occurring in our cartilage, but that which also can potentially stop cancer in its wicked tracks.

I have never learned so much about the human body, and I remain in awe of what I am learning every day. It is an amazing machine, and if you ever thought our body makes everything we need to survive, you could not be more right.

Happy trails, ladies :)

• LadyinBama

Hi all, happy pink month. I hate to call it breast cancer awareness month since it has turned into little more than a giant pink marketing machine. Thanks for the words of wisdom on food Lizzie. I'm not fanatical about anything, but I try to eat healthily and do some sort of exercise every day. I've figured out ways to work in foods like broccoli and kale, which I hate, into my cooking where I can. It's funny that Dr. David Shriver-Shreiber wrote a book 20+ years ago telling us to eat broccoli, onions and garlic, and the medical establishment is finally catching up!

I wanted to update you on the aromatase inhibitor 'take for 5 more years or not' saga. I was surprised that when my oncologist and I discussed it, he said "I'm fine with you not taking it 5 more years. It confers only about a 2% benefit." He got a big hug! I was just sure he was going to recommend 5 more years of the hell that is aromasin, lol. So I've been off of it about a month now, and I already feel better - fewer hot flashes and joint pains, more energy. I can't wait to see how I'll feel in another 6 months, which is how long they say it takes for it to get out of your system. I read a lot of studies on this and it seems that the biggest benefit is to be had in prevention of contralateral breast cancer. Since I had a BMX, I really don't think I would have gotten any benefit, just more side effects, including perhaps permanent damage to my bones from being on it for so long. I was so relieved that he agreed with my assessment of the situation.

Can you believe we are all still here and healthy 6 years later? Hope everybody is having a great fall. Best to all!

• 1WonderWoman

HELLOOOOO WARRIORS!

Unfortunately, today we lost a great woman to breast cancer: Gwen Ifill, venerated anchor of the PBS Newshour, has succumbed in her battle with this disease.

http://fox6now.com/2016/11/14/pbs-journalist-gwen-...

I watch the Newshour nearly every night. I will forever miss her, and I was actually wondering where she was on this past, wildly antithetical, election evening.

Every woman lost to this disease is one too many, but this was a tremendous loss on all counts.

Signed,

Your Once-Fearless Leader (recent developments have unequivocally moved me closer to the "fear" category)

• 1WonderWoman

Lady- sorry, I did not see your post initially! Good to hear from you, great news on the AI and glad to hear the benefit is negligible! My onc was wanting me to do it, but seriously, I don't want to, and I have to talk to him about it soon.

All my best to you, and I sure am glad you are doing well and that we are all still here!

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422

Hi, how is everyone? I have been wondering about Timothea has anyone heard how she is doing? Thanks,Sue

• 1WonderWoman

HELLOOOOOO WARRIORS!!! :D

I hope everyone is doing well!

Happy Holidays to all, and I hope this season finds you healthy and happy, but even if you are not exactly happy, healthy---I definitely wish for healthy!

Sue: Timothea said she will post soon.

Sorry it has been so long since I posted, but this was a particularly tough semester. My GPA is still 3.9, but unbelievable how much work I had to do to keep it there!

Ginger, Wherria, Rachel, LadyInBama et al----always thinking of you. Hope all is well with everyone.

Merry Christmas, Happy Channukah and Happy New Year to all----sorry if I missed any holidays!

All my best,

Your Fearless Leader (although cancer scares the ____ out of me!)

• 1WonderWoman

HELLOOOO Warriors!

Time to turn up the heat.....http://www.livestrong.com/article/447875-which-pep...

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/56820/201...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chillies-coul...

Recent studies have shown that capsaicin, found in chili peppers, can kill "active" breast cancer cells!

ENJOY!

Happy New Year :)

• LadyinBama

Happy New Years warrior sisters! Glad to see that everyone appears to be doing well. Just wanted to say hello.

Lizzy, I saw the article about capsacian. I love spicy foods, so good news for me. I've made a gradual - and unintentional - switch to almost being a vegetarian. I gave up red meat years ago when I had some heart issues. Then after cancer, I gave up ham, bacon, all the meats that used nitrates. So that left me eating just chicken. Then I read not long ago that the hormones and antibiotics used to grow chickens are bad for women with estrogen sensitive cancers, so I cut it out too. And I actually haven't missed it. I'm not strictly vegetarian - I still eat meat if I go out to eat, I eat eggs occasionally, and I eat cheese. I had already cut out milk (switched to almond milk). Like I said, it wasn't really a conscious decision, I've just sort of drifted that way. The good news is, at my last physical, my cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose levels had all dropped and were all well within normal ranges. I was so excited to see that. I had read that meat raises blood glucose, which I didn't know. It was nice to see my efforts pay off in my blood work. Unfortunately the new way of eating hasn't helped me lose any weight, but at least now I'm a healthy fat, lol.

Best wishes to all for a healthy, happy new year!

• Gingerbrew

Here I am! I went off of tamoxiphen somewhere around two years ago be cause my vision dimmed. Onc sent for an mri because she thought it might be a stroke. The AI's were so miserable and painful for me. I like the Tamoxiohen, I had little to no side effect from it.

We are coming up on seven years here! I am amazed at how fast time has flown. Flown?

It was nice to come back here and see some posts. Wonder Woman you did it, YOU ARE IN NURSING SCHOOL!!!!! WA HOO!!!

Me, I play dolls with my dear granddaighter who lives only two blocks away since we moved last year. She is six and tells me I need to learn to speak "doll" better. I think I break character. I do have a sewing room here, it is super. The house we bought was a flip, a raised ranch and what is the rec room which runs front to back in the house is MINE! It has may sewing tools, my hugs cutting table, my fabrics in bins under the cutting table. The table top in 40" high and the surface is 48" x 78" I just got a new drafting chair for it. The other half of the room has art supplies, craft supplies including a coping saw. Plus all the Muffie dolls, furniture, clothing, props etc. My previous kitchen table and chairs are there along with tall cabinets for the Muffies and open shelving for the other supplies. On the walls I have photos, art pieces that mean something to me. It is a Grandmas play room for sure. IU got it this way by doing something I should have done years ago. I hired an organizer. A miracle has occurred in my entire house. My play room has benefited the most, items are categorized and labeled. My fabrics are in labeled bins ALPHABeTICALLY! That makes me laugh, but it works. My husband was in India for three weeks and brought me back 5 pieces of beautiful silk. I dont know what I am going to do with it yet, but I can find it!

My cousin who has had BC over thrty years from In SItu then twenty years later, IDC estrogen dependant like mine has now has it spread to her hip bones and her brain. She just finished Rads and is into chemo, they give her (then) 2 months to a year. Damn this disease, she was always the bold leader of the cousins.

There is so much cancer in my family on my fathers side.

Me, I have an appointment with the wellness clinic at SCCA and a mammo for the fifteenth. I have an area under the nipple where when I do a breast exam it sort of raises/puffs up and is bumpy so I am getting it checked. It had better not be inflammatory BC or I will be so pissed off. I'll be in touch s I know anything.

I look forward to hearing from Timothea, Lady in B, WonderWoman, Wherria, everyone.

• 1WonderWoman

HELLO MY LOVELY WARRIORS!!!!!

Gadzooks! As Ginger pointed out, nearly 7 years! Amazing! I hope everyone is well and you are happy with your lives.

Ginger is absolutely correct---after repeating my sciences in sequential order, I got into the nursing program! So excited, but I wonder how Ginger knew?!

Tex: how are you? It has been tooo long since I have heard from you.

Wherria: how have things been going? I hope you, too, are well.

Ladyin Bama: how are things going with you? I hope you are having a nice early summer ---and go Auburn (right?!)

Rachel: how are you? Have not heard in a while, but I hope you are doing well, the boys are well and you are having a nice Spring in the country with the best looking Prime Minister!

Ginger: you absolutely need to take a course on how to speak "doll" better!!! I so hope that your appointment at SCCA went well. Please let me know how it went. Sorry to hear about your cousin---this disease is absolutely insidious.

Speaking of the insidiousness of this disease, Olive Newton John---some 25 years later and here it comes again. I think it is perfectly ridiculousness when people ask if you are "cured." Cancer is a lifelong disease, and we will never "unhave" cancer, so therefore we will always have it. The good news is it seems strides are being made, but never quite enough, or quite quickly enough I should say.

Well, so we carry on and hope for the best---this is all we can do. Remember---cancer loves sugar and cancer loves it when you don't exercise!!!! Proceed carefully, ladies, because although 7 years is auspicious, we know not to rest on that success.

Don't forget to rebound!

All my best to all of you-

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER!

• Gingerbrew

Hey Wonder Woman and all, I had to cancel my SCCA appointment, I had a bad cough and felt crappy but still was going along, then I slid off the edge of my bed, it is rather high off the floor. To my surprise I could not stop myself from sliding, nor could I pick myself up. My phone was in the middle of the bed, which I could not reach. My husband was at his office. Two hours later my DH arrived home and after he determined he could not pick my dead weight up gave in and let me dial 911. The EMT's were super and seemed to know right away what was wrong. My oxygen % was low and I was so weak, it had crept up on me I think.

Off to the ER we went and after a bunch of pokes I was admitted with pneumonia on the cardiac floor? I don't know why. I had many more pokes, they were determined to grow some plants in petri dishes. After two days of virtually no sleep I told them that 2 mg of Lorazepam worked for me during chemo. Soooo I was awakened in the night and the nurse was speaking to me and I was answering but I could see her alarmed look. My speech was incoherent and bam I was in the MRI machine and Cat Scan at 3 AM. Nope no stroke, just a reaction to being awakened while on Lorazapam. Back to a floor, a new one, Neurology, I was using the oxygen which I think was restorative but my cough was just as bad and so annoying. The best thing in the hospital was they made Robitussin available and it would hold off my cough. After a few days I was moved to the medical floor in preparation to a move to a physical rehab facility. I am 71 but felt like a youth at this place. I was at the hospital for 11 days and then 6 I think at the rehab. I did not belong at the rehab, I do not need or use a walker. The staff is so used to bed bound people that they treated me as one, it was also a holiday weekend. One staff member actually asked me if I could walk? It was just the wrong place, I do need PT work for my back but not in such a facility. Now I have Home Health Care and I don't need the nursing part or the practical therapy but I will be happy to get the physical therapy going! I think some intake was neglected there and contributed to the bad fit.

My cough lingers and I see my DR tomorrow to do some test that will determine if I need to keep using oxygen because of the years I smoked and do I have emphesema. I hope I don,' since I quit over 30 years ago.

I still need to goto SCCA and I will chewck back after I get the done.

Wonder woman, I think I read something about you wanting to go back to school long ago. Good luck and more power to you!

Anyone else hanging around? Check in, I think of you all and wish you only the best in your lives.

Hugs Ginger

• LadyinBama

Hello ladies! I was in here answering another post and thought I'd check in. It amazes me that after 7+ years, there is still so much crap connected to cancer that is in our lives, but I guess that's just something to accept. It will always be with us. I'm still doing well, no problems on the health front with the breast or the ovarian. Still working with the Lilies, the ovarian cancer support group here. I took some "fun" classes at a local college this fall, that was kind of cool to be a student again. I took a writing class and Italian for Travelers in anticipation of getting around to my goal of going to Italy one day. I'm enjoying football season (yes, Lizzy, it's Auburn and they are doing well, but have the 2 toughest games of the year coming up). I wish it would get cold! It's still above normal for a fall in the south here (highs in upper 60s/low 70s). Let's see what else ... I turned the big 60 in August. I was not happy about that, then I remembered that I'm just lucky to be here so quit bitching and enjoy the birthdays! I cut my hair off short and quit coloring it. I'll change my avatar so you can see it. I got so tired of trying to do something with the thin, baby fine hair I had after chemo, and it wasn't getting any thicker, so I just said to hell with it, let it go natural and see what you've got. And I love it. I can get out of the shower and have it done in 5-10 minutes. I wish I'd done it years ago, but you know how we hang on to our hair, lol. Love you all and hope everyone is well. Ginger, you made me laugh when you said your granddaughter chastised you for not playing dolls correctly.

• 1WonderWoman

Hello My Lovely, Awesome Warriors!!!

How is everyone? I am so sorry---it has been so long---I am just very busy, and I hope it is the same for all of you.

School is keeping me very busy, and aside from that, I am doing well.

I would love to hear from all of you!!! It would be so nice to know how everyone is doing.

In another few years, we will be celebrating a decade on this thread----amazing!

All my best,

Your Fearless Leader :)

• 1WonderWoman

Hello, all ---or none---not sure if anyone looks at this anymore!

In any case, you all have probably heard about this already, but that said, I had to share! This is amazing news:

https://www.sciencealert.com/we-re-getting-closer-...

Now a simple blood test can detect the DNA a cancer sheds long, long before it ever becomes a tumor. Ah-mazing!

Hope everyone is well-

Liz

• wherria

Hello ladies! I've been thinking about you all a lot lately and wondering how everyone is doing. Lizzy, thank you for keeping up with this. It is great to be able to come back here, even though not everyone is checking in much. I miss the connections we all shared here.

I am doing ok. Still having health issues, but not directly related to BC. I do think my body has just never returned to its pre-cancer, pre-chemo health. Maybe chemo really does age you ten years! I have never been able to lose the weight I put on during the aromatase inhibitors years. Blah!! But I am not giving up !!

Lizzy, congratulations on being in school!! What kind of nursing are you thinking of?

Ladyinbama and Gingerbrew, great to hear you are doing well!

Would love to hear from others! Does anybody know how Timothea is??

Love you all!

• LadyinBama

Hi all, I got news that a good friend of mine's mother has just been diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer with mets to the spine. So sad. I came into this site to send her some information, and just wanted to stop by and say hello. Glad to hear that everyone seems to be doing well. It's amazing that we were all hear just a few years ago so scared at starting our journeys, and here we all still are, busy and moving on with life. Merry Christmas and a blessed, healthy, happy new years to all my August Chemo sisters <3