Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• JMW
    JMW Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2012

Oh yeah.....I remember now. I was looking in the fridge for cream to put in my coffee the other morning and couldn't find it. Very suspicious as I was sure I had just bought a pint of cream a couple of days before. I found it that evening while cooking dinner.....in my microwave oven?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2012

Fridge, microwave, close--the both have doors and lights that come on when you open them! 

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2012

LOL LOVE IT - the sanitary napkin to fill the hole, that's the female redneck way.  A man would use duct tape, grey.

Oh the days when I could find NOTHING!  Before found the cancer, spend two years hunting for everything, back and forth, should have lost 40 pounds for my diligence..... never give up.  Hubby would say, here, let me, when I was not strong enough, and I would say nooooooo, I will not give up, I will do this, and then I would open the jar, hahaha even if I had to throw it through the wall.  Kidding, didn't ever throw a jar, yet, just a candle and my cell.... 

You know you're a cancer patient when you can't figure out how to get on your ramp for the highway and have to go back three times.

You know you're a cancer patient when every call you received in one day was from a doctor, breast care center, the attorney for your foreclosure/bankruptcy so you can buy supplements and move to a place where you will survive, the insurance co, an oncology nurse consultant and the receptionist for an integrative medical clinic.  So popular, i am i am.

Essa

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

YKYACP when you come here to post something then can't remember what is was...

*^&%#!  Sealed

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW...

So today I grabbed my black bra with the prosthesis in the left pocket, but didn't notice it was inside-out. I started to put it on, but something didn't feel right. Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror with this mondo-huge right boob where the prosthesis was jammed on top of my intact breast. I looked like Pamela Anderson on steroids on one side and an adolescent boy on the other. (I suppose they would have gotten along great!)  I laughed and laughed. :)

• badger
    edited February 2012

I remembered what it was!  YKYACP when you go to exercise at an indoor track that hosts the Relay for Life every year, and do the first lap in memory of fallen sisters (and d*mn near cry every time), the last lap in honor of surviving sisters, and all the laps in between for yourself.

• nativemainer
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW:   you have flashbacks to 2 biopsies, 1 lumpectomy, 1 mastectomy, and reconstruction while sitting in the waiting room while your mother is having a shoulder replacment. 

YKYACPW you are having flashbacks, want to cry and know you can't because no one in the waiting room would understand and probably not even care. 

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2012

I would have cared.

Denise

• nativemainer
    edited February 2012

Thanks, Denise.  that means a lot to me. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2012

I would have too, I think anyone who has "been there" can recognize true emotional pain and not just "look at me, I'm suffering" pain.

Badger, that was worth waiting for. I only do the Survivors Lap and the first year I cried. The second time was easier and by the third year I felt like a pro. I do it by myself, not in a group because I want to feel every step I take. The second time I had to use a cane and felt like I was near the end...that one was tough.

My DH has to have a cyst removed from the outside of his kidney and I do not look forward to the waiting room! I just had 3 tumours removed from my thyroid so I just had the in-patient experience. I'm so over it!!

YKYACPW you do not feel compelled to sit with your DH for his pre-op appointment of 3 hours. Keeping myself out of the hospital so I don't pick up any new bugs. Just had my own surgery (thyroid and tumour removal) and want to stay out of THAT loop!!

(Besides, he's never waited with me for my pre-ops! 3 hours of total boredom broken up by minutes of bloodwork, xrays, nurses, etc. No thanks!)

• badger
    edited February 2012

NM I care too.  ((hugs))

Barbe thanks, glad you came through surgery and hope everything goes well for your DH. 

YKYACP when you meet a new co-worker and realize s/he knows nothing about all the crap you went through the past two years and that's a really good feeling because it means there's nothing 'special' about you anymore. 

• barbe1958
    edited February 2012

YKYAPCW you have a job interview in person next week (passed the phone interview) and are already planning how to cover up your recent surgical scar (thyroid on neck) so they don't know you have been off work for medical reasons!!

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2012

Good luck, Barbe! 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2012

Turtleneck! Scarf! You'll look gorgeous and be covered.

No one would blink an eye - winter in Canada.

Leah

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2012

Scarves are in, best of luck to you!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited February 2012

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/781867?page=4#idx_116

started a thread on constipation.  Any and all suggestions appreciated and if you have a MOVING pun that will  LOOSEN up things they are appreciated also.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW you send your winter dog walking coat in to be dry cleaned and then it turns chillier.  AND it's the only warm coat you have that you can wear with a wrapped arm. BLECH!!!

Regardless, I still think spring is here!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2012

You know you're a cancer patient when:

Your automatic reaction to going to the doctor is that you don't want to get poked, even when you know very well that this visit you won't be.

You're actually sick and tired of well meaning friends telling you how good you look and asking you how you feel

You have zero patience for young, strong, healthy people who want everyone to view themselves as a victim (of something or other - who knows what!)

You take so many supplements that you're not really hungry for food.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW you thought Sharon50 was talking about a DOG coat!! Made perfect sense until the part about arm wrapping....doi on me!!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2012

Me too barbe!

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2012

You know you are a cancer patient when you get home from a treatment and go for a nap and leave the car running in the garage for 4 hours.   And it didnt seem to important when dh tells you.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2012

Oh, Jennifer, that is scary!  Just a week ago, there was a man who died at a local hotel from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Apparently there was a problem with the way the pool heater was vented and it allowed carbon monoxide to build up while people were sleeping one night.  Lots of people sick and one man died.  Apparently there are no laws that require carbon monoxide detectors in hotels.  I am actually at a hotel this weekend and packed detector in my suitcase and think I will always do so from now on when traveling!

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2012

Yes it was dangerous but at the time, red devil chemo, I couldn't seem to get interested.  Now I am very careful.  I took my dx very badly so if something had happened everyone would have throught I did it on purpose.  Was depressed for months. 

• anafoefana
    anafoefana Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2012

Love this thread!  I read through most of the 108 pages!

I have one, my hair is growing out and I am finally topless.  Everyone makes comments about how "great I look, but this one is the topper. "Wow, you look great.  No one would do that on purpose, but you really look great.  Who knew?" Hmm, was that really a compliment?

Thanks for all the laughs, although I admit some of them made me cry too.  It is funny, but sad at the same time!

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2012

How about, underneath all that hair, you have a really nice head!

Huh?!

• anafoefana
    anafoefana Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2012
    LOL,  I guess it is good to know we don't have lopsided heads!  Laughing
  • dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

The wig lady, who shaved my head, told me that I had a beautifully shaped head.  It was a wonderful thing to hear at a time when I was feeling down.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2012

I didn't have a beautifully shaped shaped.  Mine was kinda lumpy-looking!  I was so glad when my hair grew back in!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2012

You know you're a cancer patient when your patiance simply runs out.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2012

Yep, you're busy being patient as a patient. That makes it run out in double time!!