Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2012

You know you are a cancer patient when you come out of walmart, late nite, cant do crowds and a police officer is behind your car waiting for you.  After struggling with you chemo feet to the car, she informs you that your handicap tag is not displayed.  She then looks at your arm with the sleeve and you tell her you are sorry and she rips up the ticket.  I think she wanted to hug me, omg, do I inspire such pity. 

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

You know your a cancer patient when after losing all body hair , it comes back everywhere and you think you could star in the remake of Planet of the Apes.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited February 2012

Jennifer, what a kind police officer.  It wasn't pity.  Just a random act of kindness.

Lol @ your last post. 

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

It was a nice act, those tickets are expensive.  About 2 months ago I got stopped for speeding and didnt have my up to date insurance card on me because I had been in the hospital for cellutitus and hadnt put the new one in.  The officer do not ticket me for that either.  Bless the Leavenworth Police Dept, they have a heart.  Oh I did get for speeding. 

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2012

GardenGumby - been there, patience gone a few times already.

Anafoefana - you do look quite attractive, and I mean it.  

Jennifer1 - I was a nice act of kindness and may someone pass it forward to her.  

The other day someone gave me slack, more than one person but I cannot remember any of it at the moment.... let me try it anyway....

YKYACPW ???? nope, can't bring the thought back, later then.

• Marple
    edited February 2012

Essa, you gave a perfect example.  YKYACPW you can't remember why YKYACP.

• Laural
    Laural Member Posts: 212
    edited February 2012

You know you are a cancer patient when...

...you have a freezer full of meals but have absolutely no idea what is in any of them (so few people understand the need to label their meals). My kids call it Casserole Roulette. 

...you ask people to stop bringing meals for the moment as you have no more freezer space, so they come bearing an upright freezer (that one made me cry).

...you accept the offer of help to buy the small stocking stuffers for your kids' stockings during a particularly rough round of chemo, and the stockings end up stuffed and overflowing with every single item that the kids put on their "wish List".

...your children re-enact the story Caps For Sale, piling all of your hats on their heads as they shout out "Caps for sale, caps for sale."

...you become a "poster child" for your local Leukemia & Lymphoma Society because of your leukemia battle, then get breast cancer and wonder how to balance the two.

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW the local high school has a pink out basketball night and the first thing you ask is, what organization is it going to?

Personally I'd like to see some of these events actually benefit a real cancer patient/family/needs.

• Marple
    edited February 2012

Laural........the freezer to accommodate the food........WOW.  Those people really and truly love you.

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2012

What a list !  So many ways to hug.

I think I remembered, 

YKYACPW you spend all day and evening on BC.org annd really do not accomplish anything except BC research but know you had a great day.

YKYACPW you tell everyone you meet you are dealing with cancer so when they see you in one yr, five yrs, ten yrs, they will know you are a survivor and perhaps you can offer some info that will help them or their family..

• anafoefana
    anafoefana Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2012

Thank you Essa, I have gotten used to the look.  I have some hair now too!

That was a nice police officer Jennifer.  Your hair comment is so funny.  I have hair on my ears, but no eyelashes! :(  

• november
    november Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW you can't wait to go on breast cancer.org discussion board and see how " your sisters and friends " are doing

" sisters and friends " that you have never met but somehow you care about them and want the best for them 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Well said November, Part of my routine now is to to check e-mail,BC.org and sometimes FB before I do much of anything else.

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited February 2012

Windlass -- thank you so much for this visual ..... I cried laughing.  Not often we get a chance to laugh that hard.

Joanne

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

You know you are a cancer patient when you are pretty sure you have polled woman in your city to see how many have had bc.  (and their out of town relatives)

when your neighbor looks at you so sad and you tell him you are ok, well it seems he lost his 1st wife to bc.  thank you for that information.  I only like stories with good endings.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW.. you go shoe shopping with your DH and the clerk in the store walks up behind you and says " can I help you gentlemen".. what the what?? Big hooop earrings and a purple ball cap, and a purple blouse>>   grrrrr

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2012

you know you're a cancer patient when you see someone on the train wearing a hat who never used to do so and you walk up, hug her unexpectedly and say are you OK? Even though you don't even know her name.  Yup, another cancer patient.

• BouncingBetties
    BouncingBetties Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2012

when you discuss constipation with an absolute stranger....

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2012

You know you're a bc patient when you no longer care about putting on the little gown they give you..save it for the next person!  I'll strip right in front of everyone now and have no modesty whatsoever!

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited February 2012

Gardengumby - wow just imagine how wonderful you made this woman feel -- what an amazing thing to have done !     ♥

• gardengumby
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW - you are taking handfulls of supplements and stand there wondering what other supplement you should add to the list.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2012

This could truly be a book! 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2012

This could truly be a book! 

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited February 2012
    YKYACPW...you get a call at 10pm.  A friend has been diagnosed and is a mess.  Can you come now?

Absolutely.  I'll be there in a few minutes.
  • gardengumby
    edited February 2012

Thanks, Joanna.  We talked the rest of the commute - haven't seen her since, but hope she's OK.

YKYACPW you know exactly what you are going to say/write, but as soon as you open your mouth/find your pen/touched the keyboard you found you've forgotten it. 

I used to have a memory I could rely upon.  Now all I remember is that I used to have a memory. Cool

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

gardengumby, ain't that the truth. My DH and I keep saying remind me I have to... and then a few minutes later its what was I suppose to remind you...LOL

• gardengumby
    edited February 2012
    notepads have become my friends - of course I lose 'em everytime I turn around, so I'm not truly sure how much good they're doing.  Tongue out
  • chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2012

At last a name for it!

another "Nile" virus is coming

I thought you would want to know about this e-mail virus.  Even the most advanced programs from
    Norton or McAfee cannot take care of this one.  It appears to affect  those who were born prior to 1965 .....  

Symptoms:

1.. Causes you to send the same e-mail twice.  ( Done that!)

2. Causes you to send a blank e-mail !  ( That too!)

3. Causes you to send an e-mail to the wrong person.  ( yep!)  

4. Causes you to send it back to the person who sent it to you.  (Ah-ha!)  

5. Causes you to forget to attach the attachment.  (Done that !)

6. Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished.  ( Oh   , no not again!)

7. Causes you to hit "DELETE" instead of "SEND".  (Hate that!)  

8. Causes you to hit "SEND" when you should "DELETE."  ( Oh No!)

IT IS CALLED THE "C-NILE VIRUS."

Hmmm......have I sent this to you already, or did you just send it to me?  

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2012

Cute!!

• Iz_and_Lys_Mum
    Iz_and_Lys_Mum Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW...you are sat on your hospital bed naked to the waist in front of yet another strange man - then realise he's actually the anaethetist (looking a littttlllee uncomfortable). Whoops!