Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2011

YKYACP when you let your BCO buddies know you're going on vacation so they don't worry about not hearing from you for a week.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited December 2011

Elizabeth: Yep - not sure whether it was the AC or the Taxotere, but yikes!

YKYACP when you realize you haven't worn mascara in months, either because you had no eyelashes to put it on, or because you were afraid you'd burst into tears and smudge it all over your face.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2011

YKYACPW the water main in front of your house breaks and you just KNOW that it's because of the 'cement' movents you've been passing. Expected a knock at the door any second!!!

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2011

Hi  SharonH here.    YKYACPW  I check every day to see how you are all doing, I think of all of you when things get you down and also when you have happy news, SharonH

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2011

YKYACPW --- every chain email that has the word breast cancer in it is sent to your inbox.  Just a few days ago, a lady I used to work with sent me a chain email with the following in it -------

Cancer is a strange cell.
    You can go along for years in remission
    and then one day it pops its head up again.
    If you ever have it you will never be free of it.
    Pray for the day there will be a permanent cure.

HELLOOOOO!!  Does this sound like encouragement to you gals???  I know she means well, but is it really necessary to send me these emails to remind me that I will never be free of the fear of cancer returning!

I really hate that to many of my 'friends' my name is now synonomous with 'cancer.'  I'd like to think that there is more to me than that! But for some people, when they hear my name, breast cancer is the first thing that pops into their head.  I hate that!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited December 2011

FAith--I'm with you!  I am NOT breast cancer.  I am ME.  And I'll be happy to set anyone straight who gets that one wrong. 

• quiche
    quiche Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2011

YKYACPW - You're excited to see hair stuck on your soap again :-)

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2011

YKYACPW you get yourself a new foob for Christmas!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW you hope that a breast friend's back pain is caused by herniated discs or something like that rather than bone mets. 

YKYACPW the having a herniated disc is good news.  

Have I said recently that bc $UCK$?  

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited January 2012

This thread really needs "like" buttons like facebook for some of the posts!!  :) 

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW... you look at your shelf filled with tampons, maxi-pads and panty liners and wonder how you could use any of these for anything other then the period you'll never have again.

• jankc
    jankc Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2012

Faith, I got that same "upbeat" chain email from a good friend (??) about a week after I was diagnosed!  I think I cried for the next hour...geeeeeeez.....

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW ... it's been almost 3 years since you finished tx, and you're flying from CA to NY ... and the pilot comes on to give the connecting gates in Dallas... and when he loudly announces one of the connections is gate "B9," your mind instinctively hears "benign," and you feel like crying because you realize how deeply bc lingo is ingrained in your brain...    Deanna

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW your onc tells you at your last visit that he wants to check your breasts after he has looked at your tumor markers and you tell him he will have to run over to the lab and get them out of a jar if he wants to check them out.  Neither one of us could quit laughing.  Darla

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2012

LOL Darla, I saw my family doc for annual exam this past summer and he was going to order a mammo and I asked what would they put between the plates.  I've been going to this doc for 20+ years and he visited me in the hospital when I had the BMX.  Yikes.

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2012

deanna - I love it.  so true. 

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2012

deanna - that would happen at bingo too.

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507
    edited January 2012

So true.....my guest bathroom is fully-stocked with them.

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507
    edited January 2012

Rocky,

So true.....I just moved them to the guest bathroom where they've been gratefully appreciated on a few occasions! Smile

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2012

I only got up to page 102 and had to mention about soy. I started losing my hair in my 30's and I had a lot of other physical problems as well. It wasn't until I was in my 60's in 2001 that I discovered that I was allergic to soy.  My hair used to fall outby the handfuls, I had sinus trouble and my face always looked swollen. There were more symptoms than I care to remember. 

One day I decided to try soy milk and started symptoms for anaphylactic shock. Took some Benadryl and put a halt to it.  After my discovery, I did a lot of label reading - boy, there's a lot of soy in everything including Italian ice (why?), and fillers for hamburgers, etc. As a matter of fact, I contacted Hebrew National who advertise that they do not use fillers in their hot dogs (soy is one of their ingredients), and they did not address it.  At this time, I found out that I can eat processed soy, such as soy sauce and soy oil.  It's the soy protein, soy milk, tofu, and unprocessed soy that are the offenders.

Before surgeries, when the anesthesiologists find out that I'm allergic to soy they change the anesthesia from what they normally use.

One more thing, I  brought a hot dog backto work to have for lunch at about 3 pm one day, At about 6 pm at home I started having palpitations, shortness of breath, panic, sweats, etc. (anaphylactic shock). A few Benadryl took care of it.

Most people are unaware that they are allergic to soy and more people are unaware how much soy is in food products - even the most innocent foods.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited January 2012

You have spent the past week reading this thread while waiting for your post surgical path report. Did they lose the evidence? And at about page 39, you accidentally clicked last instead of next and from that point on it would only start at 1 or 107. It has kept my spirits up! Thanks. (I'll post stats if I ever get them.)

• quiche
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW: You finally realize what a great deal the buy one get one free stool softener was. (ha! When I first saw that I thought "who in the world could possibly go through that much stool softener", then halfway through chemo I found myself opening the second bottle!)

• ILBoysMom
    ILBoysMom Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2012

YKYACPW the entire top row of your bathroom cabinet is full of bottles of stuff that either makes you poop, stop pooping, modify your poop, or clean yourself after pooping.

I finally took the emergency plastic bags out of my center console of my car this week, 14 weeks PFC. 

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2012

funny quiche and ilboysmom!

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2012

YKYABreastCPW when----

• you tell the doctor, now I'm having the same pain on the other one and you stand up and pop it out too.
    • you throw a weighty candle through your bedroom drywall and don't really care.
    • you are wearing incontinence pads over your drainage site and tell all your new friends on BCO what a great idea... yes, Rocky, that is what you can do w all those pads, except incontinence pads are best.
    • you run around telling people who need to know or who know people who need to know that a box of fluffy cotton is good to purchase, use a wad for a nipple cover under the bra, stops pain.
    • you're losing weight, looking great and no one who knows you were dx'd w bc will tell you because they think you are dying, not realizing it is the new macrobiotic food plan. 

LOVE THIS THREAD, btw

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited January 2012
    Essa, I soooo get the candle though the wall :-).  I'm off to get the spackle and touch up paint.  Home Depot sells metal grids for bigger holes.  Oh wait... how about filling the hole with the sanitary napkin we'll never need again for it's proper use and then spackle.  That way you can have a great smile every time you walk by that spot :-).
  • sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited January 2012

Rocky----you are so funny.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2012

Yes, Rock, then every time you get angry just bang you head against the wall in that spot.  It won't hurt so bad and it will make you laugh.

• quiche
    edited January 2012

ha! Essa, I never thought about the candle trick . . . good one. I'm going to put that in my back pocket :-)

• JMW
    JMW Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2012

You know you're a cancer patient when.....you reach the last post and start to write your comment but  you forget what you were going to say! :-(  

But.....I laughed till I cried reading these. I love you people!!