Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• MuddyGlasses
    MuddyGlasses Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2012

When you are bald and you see another person in the street with a bald head and a cap and you both laugh and point at each other saying... "I know you girl, you from the cancer club!"

• Laural
    Laural Member Posts: 212
    edited February 2012

I found this video humorous...S#1% Cancer Patients Say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUP3XqjN69M&feature=youtu.be

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2012

Laural:

That was pretty funny....cancer humor. 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited February 2012

Gardeb and pt-----my Dh and I had Ca at the same time --mine BC his Lymphoma----I made up a word for conversing "splat" for the times your talking and loose what you were going to say. Instead of saying "I forget" which is so demoralizing we would say "splat". It would make us laugh. I can also tell you some of our conversations were pretty strange. "splatting " one after the other LOL.

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW----------you take your high school daughter to the salon to get her hair fixed for Prom and you look at all the hair fixing going on---updos, upsweeps,buns, curls, shiny, silky, hair, hair, hair----and you just want to walk around and touch it all, but you don't-----because that would be frowned upon---so you just sit there and dream about the day you will have hair again.

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW, the term "nip slip" takes on a whole new meaning.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW you pat yourself on the chest in the morning after you get dressed to make sure you put your 'boob' on!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2012

YKYACPW - you plan things for after you are "finished"... (with something...)

• anafoefana
    anafoefana Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2012
    YKYACPW a complete stranger comes up to you and tells you they like your haircut and you say, thanks, but it is not a haircut it is hairgrow! Surprised
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

YKYACP when your old college t-shirt, that used to be too small in the chest, fits now.

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited March 2012

YKYABCP when you take off your bra and out fall a dozen huge fluffy soft cotton balls that were keeping your nipples from paining you and old surgery sites from pressure.

when you can't remember or even tell which boob used to be the bigger one. really, !!!! after four decadess of breasts on me (I am 54 now) I can't remember or tell now that the right is decreased by 3" x 3" x 1", never was that endowed to begin with but now the right is smaller, noticeably, so am guessing it was the right that was larger before.  Would ask hubby but he can't remember crap anymore.

when  you had surgery end of November, got the decor for Holiday up a week before Christmas and at beginning of March there are still Christmas garlands and such hangingg around but you're not going to reach up there after them, soon though you tell yourself, I will get them before Spring.

• Bluebird-DE
    edited March 2012

Moderators, you are right, this could be a fabulous book, sell it on ebook even and use proceeds for bc.org, if others were willing to contribute what they are writing, anonymous of course.

• gardengumby
    edited March 2012

YKYACPW - you tell your oncologist about something you just know is a side-effect of the latest medicine you are getting, and without hesitation the oncologist says "that's not a side-effect of xxxx".  Then you look it up on-line and it's the first side-effect listed.

• inmate4232010
    inmate4232010 Member Posts: 288
    edited March 2012

When you are happy at the new choice of playing on the shirts or skins team.  

Modesty is highly overrated!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited March 2012

Inmate 42------------your pic says it all------------you can post many outrageous comments on many threads. We get it. . I also get that you can post the most outrageous obscene anger comments -----------get them out of your system by writing ----------then have the ability of deleting them. If that trips your trigger--------old 60-70's statement-----do it. When you want to leave a statement, we all  get it. L&H&P's Namaste sheila

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited March 2012

YKYACPW you pull out your iPod and pull up medication information as your doctor is talking about them, and then ask about side effects and interactions that she didn't mention, and the doc uses the same program to look up the answers to your questions. . . . 

• gardengumby
    edited March 2012
    YKYACPW - you spend your free time on breastcancer.org instead of doing all the things you "should" be doing...  Smile
  • ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited March 2012

gardengumby I ditto that. Too much time on this site.

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2012

Double Ditto.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

I wish we had a like button.  "Like" gardengumby.

Now I guess I "should" go and start dinner. Wink

• badger
    edited March 2012

YKYACP when you have a dozen (or more) topics saved as favorites on BCO.  Innocent

• Bluebird-DE
    edited March 2012

YKYACPW you still do not have your income taxes done - which you always have done by mid-February - but THIS YEAR you have been on bc.org and researching bc on the net and reading upteen books on the subject instead. 

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2012

YKYACPW you're on the exercise bike at the gym and it's giving your workout stats after you finish. There flashing in red letters across the LED screen it reads: "Duration" "Calories burned" "Miles ridden" "Average Heart Rate."

And then the weird one pops up... "Mets."

Huh? Every time I see that red flashing word "mets" I freak out and wonder what it could possibly stand for. Does this bike know something I don't?

Does anybody have a clue what "mets" means on an exercise bike?

• badger
    edited March 2012

windlass, MET (metabolic equivalent) is a term used to represent the intensity of exercise.

In general:
    1 MET stands for the amount of oxygen you consume and the number of calories you burn at rest.

Therefore:
    If you see 4 METs displayed on the treadmill, this means:

• You're working 4 times as hard as you would be at rest.
    • You're consuming 4 times as much oxygen and burning 4 times as many calories as you would be at rest.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/what-does-mets-stand-for-on-an-exercise-machine/

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2012

OMG that is TOO freaky about the "mets"!!!! Great info badger!

YKYACPW your heart starts to race when you see someone with the word "mets" in their post!!

• Bluebird-DE
    edited March 2012
    YKYACPW all your wait persons in your fav places know you are not on the challenging food plan bcz you are difficult (like Sally in When Harry Met Sally) or diabetic, they know it is a cancer food plan.
  • windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2012

Thanks, Badger.

You'd think that with 1 in 3 Americans getting cancer these days, they'd think twice before choosing that abbreviation to put on health equipment.

Sorry to put a scare into you, Barbe. I'm actually doing great and coming to the end of treatment.

• badger
    edited March 2012

windlass, that would've taken me aback, too.  Glad to hear you're doing well.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2012

...and when Mets is no longer a baseball team.

Take my word for it, I no longer yell, "Let's go, Mets!"

Leah

• jankc
    jankc Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2012

You know you are a cancer patient when...you're pushing 60 yet running to the store for a box of nursing pads. (I use two at a time for "filling" in my bra on the lumpectom-ied side.)