Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited June 2012

Now that's funny!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited June 2012

YKYACP when a young woman with shaved head comes to the cat adoption event and you immediately assume she's on chemo rather than a punk rocker. When she bends over to pet your cat, you glance to see if she has cleavage on both sides.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2012

Badger and Wren, you are both funny. I know what you mean about trying to spy out the cleavage, lol. I sometimes catch myself lest I be taken for a perv.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2012

You have more scars than a gang member after a knife fight!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited June 2012

YKYACP when you attend a survivor luncheon hosted by your treatment center and you count the number of people in the room who have seen you without your clothes on.

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012

I love coming to this thread for a pick-me-up!  You are all so funny...

YKYACP when you open your sock drawer and realize you have more of those hospital 'no-slip' socks than regular socks...

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited June 2012

My first 3 dx's I didn't feel like a cancer patient. I do now. I felt like a cancer patient when I was asked to find a chair in the chemo lounge. I felt like a cancer patient when I was assigned an oncologist, and even more when I walked into the cancer center. And...when ... I've had every type of scan within a few months, PET, CT, X-Rays, Bone Density, and of course mri's (also mammo's and ultra sound)....also lots of echo's. And...I am reminded I am a cancer person when everyone who sees me ask how's my health. I look fine, but now I have an invisable sign on me that says "Cancer". I said to someone today, who asked, we all will die sometime...we just don't know how or from what. Right now, I'm focused on living. She smiled and agreed.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2012

MOM2-so true about the hospital socks, Particularly when they are different colors b/c the colors signify different things to staff. Standard brown means your just a regular patient>>>>red means your a "falls risk". So, that means a status change, Bummer the first time I went to red

• Momine
    edited June 2012

Now I am all bummed out ;) They don't give you color-coded socks in Greek hospitals. :(

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2012

YKYACP when you go into a restaurant that you haven't gone to for at least 6 months and realize that one of the waitresses has chemo curls now instead of her usual long hair but you don't want to intrude on her personal space and ask where the cancer was at.

Sheila 

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2012

sas - the hospitals I've been in don't color code socks - they put a bracelet on that indicates falls risk.  Unfortunately, the DO NOT DO BP ON THIS ARM was the same color as the falls risk in one hospital.  I wasn't at risk of falling, but I was at risk of ripping the face off the medical attendant who continued to turn on the bed alarm.  (For those who haven't had the pleasure of having a bed alarm - if you get out of bed when it's turned on it makes the most disgusting noises - and you again feel like some kind of a freak.)

I hate hospitals.

YKYACP when you look at women and the street and say to yourself - one in seven - I wonder how many women I pass each day have had cancer.  Are you one???

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited June 2012

Garden...I'm sorry you had to go through that.  The government/employers have a hold on nurses & their licence if a patient falls.  Or just being employed!  The more incidence a facility has the less safe (if you will) they are deemed!  Each incidence adds up!  With so much info of new patients day in & out.  They were looking for easier ways for immediate ID of potential problems by doing the color coding.  I would contact the Hospital & let them know that this was NOT working & why.  That had you been asleep or under the effects of medicine & they took a BP in that arm thinking you were a Fall Risk instead of a NO BP or BLOOD DRAW in that arm which could of resulted in severe consequences to YOU!  They need a better system for YOU or any other person in that same situation.  

YKYACP when your talking to people who know you have BC or are just finding out for the first time, there eyes constantly drift to your breasts! 

I mean come on it's not gonna jump out of my body & bite you....or worse.  I never had the chest to get mens attention but now they seem to have everyones attentention.  It's just really kind of strange one minute they are talking to your face & the next....

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2012

Julz so right on the wandering eyes. ------Between Dh and I , a whole drawer could be filled with hospital socks

Gardengrumby my main hospital has the red bracelet for Falls alert too, pink for latex, yellow for allergy,I think blue for limb alert white for Name /numbers i.d., They are pretty standardized now for color coding, started b/c staff working at multiple centers it reduced errors. Bottomline, you can have allot of bracelets on  ---ditto to Julz about bed alarm. Someone falls and they were on falls percautions, that weren't followed---may mean unemployment and it's open to lawsuit.

• mom2twins34
    edited June 2012

"22 hours ago sas-schatzi wrote:

MOM2-so true about the hospital socks, Particularly when they are different colors b/c the colors signify different things to staff. Standard brown means your just a regular patient>>>>red means your a "falls risk". So, that means a status change, Bummer the first time I went to red"

SAS, sorry to hear about you going to red!  They don't color code at mine--just a blue-grey color.  My sock drawer looks pretty boring--though it sounds like it's not worth the extra color choices if they brand you while you're inpatient!  Surprised

• Sonata
    Sonata Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2012

....when at 35, you understand what it feels like to be 75, thanks to being shoved into menopause permanently.

~Cate

• Sonata
    edited June 2012

...when before leaving the house, you aren't looking for keys/wallet/sunglasses, instead you look for hair, boobs and whether they're all in the right place!

• Dutchie
    Dutchie Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2012

Just wanted to say how much I totally relate to those last two posts Sonata! Very true!

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2012

YKYACP when your new (post-BC) husband thinks all BC patients have a great sense of humor because you quote items from this site.

• Sonata
    edited June 2012

YKYACPW you have a scarf or bandanna in every color to match any outfit you could possibly come up with. Also for any situation---church ones, other dressy ones, bandannas to wear while hanging out at home, others that do in a pinch if going out to dinner. You get my drift.

• MichelleMassey
    MichelleMassey Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012

Hi all! New to this thread. Just want you to know your posts kept me very entertained through chemo today. Badger your odd numbered breasts almost made me choke I was laughing so hard! I have one...

When you get pulled over for speeding and you take your hat off to show bald head and tell him you're running late for chemo appointment. (I was actually headed to Walmart).

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited June 2012

YKYACPW you are at your first radiation treatment appointment and the GOOD LOOKING MALE TECH named Brad comes in to introduce himself.  First thing he says is, "Oops you dropped something!"  You look down and there is your foob lying on the radiation room floor!

• Infobabe
    Infobabe Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2012

Someone should publish a book of these.  Make a million.

• jantoo1
    jantoo1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    When you suddenly find out you have no idea where scarfs are at Walmart or Target. Undecided
  • barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited June 2012

Denise-G - oh my - too funny and a little embarassing no doubt?

• Iz_and_Lys_Mum
    Iz_and_Lys_Mum Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2012

You have to explain to the very nice but very young nurse showing you round what the Nuclear Medicine ward actually does. Huh? I thought YOU worked here, not me! I think she thought it was some kind of secret bomb making facility hidden in hospital... :-)

• Momine
    edited June 2012

Triple, you are a BAD girl, ROFL

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited June 2012

YKYACPW you know the ssecret breast cancer language, and every nurse and tech you encounter who has not had bc doesn't so needs it explained.

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited June 2012

So True DianeEssa! They look at you with a duh, huh, wha! I was talking with a couple from church, he's a Dr. & his wife a CPA. They knew about my DX & asked how I was so I started the medical talk & the wife is looking at Dr hubby in askance & Dr. admitts he is not up on the BC stuff! He is just a GP!

But then I met my MO yesterday & when he walked in the first words out of his mouth were "my nurse told me to hire you". She was so impressed with my knowledge & how thourough my Medical History & Paper work were!

• mom2twins34
    edited June 2012

Some good ones since I last checked in!

YKYACP when they are walking you back to a room in the ER (again) and you feel like a celebrity--or like Norm walking into Cheers!   (I wish I was kidding! Smile

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited June 2012

I was told about this thread yesterday.   I am trying to read through the posts (on page 19 so far).   Just wanted to say it is priceless.   I am laughing so hard - am sure there are people out there who wouldn't get our humour.... do we care?

I did have something to add..but forgot Tongue out

Thank you for this.  I will be chuckling in regularly.