Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited July 2012

YKYACPW.....you work in a health care place & have taken care of cancer patients. Now that I have cancer & these patients know it. We have this silent code that only our eyes convey! My co-workers don't know it! Although we are nurses aides, nurses & have seen much cancer. They still don't REALLY know! Only I do now!

• julz4
    edited July 2012

YKYACPW.....you work in a health care place & have taken care of cancer patients. Now that I have cancer & these patients know it. We have this silent code that only our eyes convey! My co-workers don't know it! Although we are nurses aides, nurses & have seen much cancer. They still don't REALLY know! Only I do now!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2012

Chabba - that could very well be the case.  I didn't actually know anything about it, just heard a smattering from my oncologist. 

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2012

YKYACPW the internet satellite tech comes to work on connection and every book on the table and every single page open on your screen is breast cancer related. no more secrets.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited July 2012

Diane, Now that is funny!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2012

YKYACP when you'd rather write out the word California than use the abbreviation CA.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited July 2012

badger - so true! Also don't like to give the word cancer a capital c - no respect from me!

YKYACP when the clothes in your closet have a range of 4 sizes and you don't want to throw any out because you may need any one of the sizes next week or next month.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited July 2012

Funny badger, I'm from British Columbia and the abbreviation makes me cringe!!! Same idea....

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited July 2012

YKYACPW you sit and look at the question on the job application that asks if you have a disability as defined by the ADA. I don't feel disabled, but under the ADA definition I am considered disabled.  Do I play the cancer card or not?  In the end I did play the card, but I still wonder if employers look at applicants differently if they say "yes" to that question. 

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited July 2012

I live in Canada and they cannot ask a question like that here -- so if you answer yes, what does that mean?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited July 2012

Joan and Barbie----yes what does it mean?

• barbe1958
    edited July 2012

That's like a credit card application that asks if you've EVER been bankrupt!!! It's only kept 7 years on the Credit Bureau, but they are asking if EVER. Do you really think you'll get the credit card????

Native, it may work in your favour if they don't consider that a physical disability like a wheelchair would be. You may even be their "token" disabled person. Do companies have to hire a certain number?

sas, doesn't mean anything to Joan and I as it can't be asked here. Of course, in a face-to-face interview, they'd see a wheelchair, or only one arm. I made a BIG mistake earlier this Spring when I got an interview with a company I really wanted to work for..finally!!! Did GREAT in the interview but they only offered me part-time (35-38 hours/wk) at $30 an hour. That means I wouldn't get benefits like prescriptions paid for. I was SO stupid and said I really NEEDED the benefits. What an idiot I was!! Who would hire me after that????? 

• gardengumby
    edited July 2012

Native - I'm confused.  Is cancer considered by the ADA to be a disability or is it something else that's related to cancer?  (Obviously, I'm not exactly familiar with ADA stuff - does that mean I now get to use the doors in my building that are marked "for ADA use only"??? Laughing)

Barbe - where I work, if you work over 20 hrs per week you get full benies.

• barbe1958
    edited July 2012

OOh, 20 hours gets full benefits!!! Awesome. Not. Here....sigh.

I've been using the handicapped washrooms for years and just DARE someone to question me on it. If I come out and someone in a wheelchair is waiting, tough! We have to wait for 'normal' booths too. 

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2012

Love it Barbe... me too... whilst we are all standing there (especially at a concert or sports arena) crossing our legs... the disabled loo just stands empty - well not whilst I'm about either.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2012

The ADA defines   disbility as

"Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.

(1) The phrase physical or mental impairment means -
    (i) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genitourinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine;"

Lumpectomy is considered a partial amputation of the breast, Lymphedema is a disorder of the lymphatic system.  Thus the rat ba$#ard is a condition creating disability.  

Any cancer diagnosis or history of a cancer diagnosis is considered a disability for ADA purposes.  

The ADA requires employers to make "reasonable" adaptations to allow a disabled worker to perform the job.  Reasonable adapatation include allowing time off for medical appointments/treatment appointments.  

While there aren't "quotas" businesses are required to show compliance with the ADA (non-discrimination in hiring, making reasonable adaptations) and the only way they can really do this is to show that some employees are disabled as defined by the ADA.  I guess I'm hoping for getting a leg up by identifiying myself as a disabled worker.  It may bite me in the a$$, but then again, if it helps at all it's about time I got something useful out of this whole thing. 

• gardengumby
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the explanation, Native.  Now if only work would let me have the "reasonable" adaptation of telecommuting once a week.....

• nativemainer
    edited July 2012

gardegumby--if you are having any treatment side effects or after effects, like fatigue, allowing for telecommuting once or twice a week would be a reasonable adaptation, if the work you do can be done that way.  Can't hurt to ask!

• gardengumby
    edited July 2012
    I did ask.... Frown  I'm sure if I requested a doctor's note I'd get one, and then they'd let me telecommute a day or two a week, but I just don't want to deal with their attitudes.  There's another woman here who telecommute a couple days a week because of health issues, and they don't treat her well, IMO.  So, when I just can't take it anymore, I guess I'll retire Wink.
  • nativemainer
    edited July 2012

Yeah, the benefits of telecommuting will be completely offset by the attitude and poor treatment.  Hang in there!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2012
    YKYACPW.. You sit at a red light and wonder why the guy stopped next to you is staring.. then realize you are massaging your new implant while waiting for the light to changeEmbarassed
  • denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2012

Ossa - hahahahahahaha

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2012
    Hilarious Ossa Laughing
  • barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited July 2012

Too funny Ossa! Did ya give him a wink? lol

• gardengumby
    edited July 2012
    Ossa - that is so funny - and familiar Embarassed
  • julz4
    edited July 2012
    Oh my Ossa....I don't have the implants but I find myself massaging, adjusting..... my lefty all the time at work no less!  Sheesh!  Embarassed  for sure!   Too funny! 
  • barbe1958
    edited July 2012

You should have pulled out a cigarette and lit it....eheheeehhehehe

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2012

if I only smoked...hahahaha

Have caught myself do this a few times..

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288
    edited July 2012

When your new obsession is finding the wig of your dreams, and you keep donating the rejects you've ordered to the cancer center (OK only three bit I STILL haven't found the right one yet)

• julz4
    edited July 2012

YKYABreastCPW..... more Men & Women have seen, touched, & talked about your breast/s in 5 months than my ENTIRE 45 years of life! And no Blushing about it either!