Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

I don't have anything to add........but am really enjoying reading this!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW--cordless phones, television remotes, AC remotes, DVD remotes, Cable Box remotes and PDAs are all interchangable. . .

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

ditto AGirl.........when you answer the phone for the 100th time today and you are yelling "hello' in the phone really annoyed and you realize you have the TV remote to you ear not the phone!

......when you try to pamper yourself by lathering your neeked body in creams from the best boutique...and after five minutes you have to take a shower to wash the smell off because you cannot stand your once fav smells from Crabtree and Evelyn!!!  

......when you put your custom knee brace on and have to rip it off bec your entire body has gone into a hot flash cause your leg is encased in rubber and velcro!

.......when you have been dissing the pink stuff all month and someone gives you a pink gift certificate for a free visit to a really expensive local spa for cancer awareness month!

XXOO, SV

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

Hey are we at page 50? SV

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

Hey are we at page 50? SV

• mary840
    mary840 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

...When you finally have enough hair to see the gray coming in.  You tell a co-worker there are many things beyond your control, but you can control your hair color.  Then  when you color your hair it turns a totally different color than you expected Surprised 

It makes me laugh every time I look in the mirror!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2013

ykyacpw......you go clean out the garden...pick all the peppers(banana,jalapenos & chili)...do them up...wash your hands.....and then your eyelashes start to fall out and you wipe your eyesYell....and OMGSurprised....your eyes start burning from the pepper juice still on them Cry....I could of sworn I washed them like 2-3 times before that. Must have just been deep in the skin. That hurt like crazy. Next time I'm wearing gloves.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited October 2010

That's if I remember.

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited August 2013

ouch!!!! leisaparis milk is supposed to remove that heat/oils try rinsing your hands in a milk bath & can even flush your eyes w/it. IF YOU REMEMBER...LOL

Thanks for all the great posts all I can say today to most of them is Ditto!Laughing

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited October 2010

Badger - I eventually got it. My husband is a boilermaker.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2010

Gill - I'm an old bartender and know a boilermaker as a shot & a draft beer LOL!  (just kidding)  So he's from Utica?  (NY - kidding again - they have a Boilermakers team)

OK I admit ignorance, is a boilermaker someone from Indiana?

(I have heard of the Purdue Boilermakers.) 

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2013

When you re-read an old post of yours and realize it doesn't make sense.  I wonder how many emails of mine look like this??  I need to preview everything!!!

When you go camping and wear your new "camping wig" that you got at the outlet.  And you're so excited it didn't fall off when you went riding in your DH's ATV.  Then, you get tired of the camping wig, so you go back to your regular one (and probably freak out the campers that don't know you because one wig is blonde and the other is brunette)!  LOL!!!

When you get excited to show your friends your new "sideburns" that are a half inch long!  And your DH inspects your head every night and also gets excited for your new hair growth (and offers to help color it, when it gets some length). 

When you have a dream about your hair being long enough to style.  And another part of your dream is that you're going through menopause with Demi Moore..???   And I swear I didn't take any meds before I went to bed last night!  LOL!!! 

• kittycat
    edited October 2010

When they show bald people on TV (for various cancer tributes this past month) and it doesn't even shock you! 

• kittycat
    edited October 2010

Ok... one more post and I'm going to bed!

YKYACP when you tell your DH that you resemble the Gerber Baby and he laughs because it's true!!! 

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

Oh Leisa, my best friend in new Mexico grows the hottest peppers and every season she forgets about the oils from the things until it is too late. She makes the best hommade salsa but i have seen her hands and arms turn bright red from the burns.....she never gaveme a remedy to share thought....I am so sorry.

And KittyC-can you make money off of your new Gerber look?

......when you are up postig at 'what time is it' because ya cannot get to sleep....again!

xxoo, SV

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited October 2010

yup badger - he's a Pudue alum and I have watched many big ten games.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

... when you notice every bald patient you see in public and wonder if this disease will be so common that people will no longer stare. So much for awareness.

... when you have lunch with your bc friend and another friend with a serious back injury and they don't even flinch when you mention that you have a new lump after a bmx and a year of reconstruction surgery.

... when you know how to explain to the diagnostic imaging person that you do not need a mammogram: "I need to schedule a breast ultrasound" "Ma'am, you need to schedule a mammogram so let's see if I can get you into both... It's been over a year and you are high risk." "No, I'm no longer high "risk". I actually have breast cancer. I had bilateral mastectomies and I don't have mammograms anymore. But there's a lump and I want an ultrasound instead of a biopsy because I just got perfect implants and don't want to lose them." "You still need mammograms with implants." "No, I don't because I don't have real breasts... no breast tissue!" "Then why are we scheduling a breast ultrasound?" "WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION! My doctor ordered an ultrasound!" and you don't say, "doesn't anyone train you people?" even though it is on the tip of your tongue.

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010

Gail, how frustrating!  And if this is a current conversation I hope the lump is a b9 little nothing... hugs and prayers for you!  

• AStorm
    edited October 2010

Thanks, LadyM. I have a history of developing cysts so I'm not too worried. Just thought those days were finally over!

• AStorm
    edited October 2010

... when your favorite number is "B9"

... when you insist that ORANGE is the proper color of the month for October

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

AStorm"-You are much more patient than I am!  After the first display of stupidity I usually switch into my sweetest pseudo Southern personna and say "I need to speak to your supervisor please".  At which point they usually say "They will tell you the same thing".  And I say "Then I will hear it from their lips".  I just don't have the energy to educate and train THEIR employees!  I was a nurse LONG ago (graduated in 78).  Please God, bring back the battle ax nursing instructors who actually create professional, smart medical employees!  And perhaps we can think about a dress code again?  How about no midriff tops showing back tattoos (tramp stamps they call them)?  No red nail polish concealing dirty fingernails (not allowed in my day).  Oh lordy, here I go again on a rant!!!  Praying the lump is B9!!  And by the way, my yearly mammograms did NOT pick up my lump!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited October 2010

DesignerMom-I am one of those battle-ax Nursing Instructors that does not allow any midriff to show,  procedures are done correctly, everybody is treated with dignity and respect, procedures are done on time and paperwork/documentation done correctly or YOU DON"T PASS.  End of story.  No putting up with chronically being late, not being prepared, or any other nonsense.  I'm not very popular, but my students are all doing very well so far. . .

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited August 2013

Native Mainer, nurses, what would you do.

I don't want to be looked at as a complaining patient, however: 

A month ago when I went in for my port hookup and blood draw before chemo I had a strange experience with a nurse. She was brisk and quick as we went to the bay to do the draw. She moved very quickly to the point that I felt concern. Then when she had to go out of the bay to get something she used the wall mounted hand sanitizer so quickly that as she turned around she flung some of it off of her hand and it flew onto my eyebrow. I wiped it off and she never even noticed. 

I said, "Are you in a hurry?" 

She said, "Why, do I seem like I am in a hurry?" 

I said, "Yes, you do."

She said, "I always work quickly."

I said, "Wow, your house must be amazing."

She said, "It is!" in an unpleasant voice.

Here is the thing, she was moving like the polace was on fire and she needed to evacbuate. I have never had any sort of medicla treatment given at that speed. I never ewver want any treatment from her again. I think she would kill someone if she was up in infusions.   She was frightening and I even wondered if she was either off her meds, manic, or using. 

How can one complain without being seen as a problem. I guess I am trying to save my complaints for a rainy day or something. 

I have been sitting on this for 4 weeks now. 

Thanks

GInger

• AStorm
    edited August 2013

Designermom -- I hear you! My daughter is trying to get into nursing school and they all have long waiting lists because they don't have enough teachers so it's bound to get worse. Even business professionals aren't what they used to be. I remember a professor in college commenting that she dresses for class because being clean and well groomed and looking professional makes an impression -- I care about what I do. Hope my DD gets someone like NM for a teacher! And you are right about the mammos -- they aren't all that! I had mammos every year for close to 20 years and even the last one (when I did have a tumor) showed nothing. I had an immediate ultrasound (usually I had these 6 months after the mammo) and they found the tumor which was small but would have been larger if I'd waited 6 months for the ultrasound.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2010

...when you get finished decorating your house for Halloween on Saturday, complete with dummies, lights, caldrons etc and get up Sunday morning and go to let the dog out and scare the crap out of yourself when you open the door to find 'someone' standing right outside your door - only to realize its the 'dummy' you hung up the day before.  Truly, I jumped back about 2 feet and let out quite a gasp.  It didn't help that the 'fake' hand was waving in the breeze either.  Fur-child didn't react at all.  Duh!

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited October 2010

....when you go to have your blood drawn this afternoon and are elated because the tech got it the first time and didn't leave a hematoma, that is a rare occurance. 

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

NativeMainer-  I am here to testify that we all were terrified of our nursing instructor. AND I thank God she was as hard on us.  She made us all very good nurses.  You just keep on being a bit of a battle ax!   We called her skunk woman as she dyed her hair black and when the gray roots grew in....well, she looked like a skunk!  In those days we had to wear those old fashioned student uniforms to class, white stockings and polished white shoes.  One day she looked at my shoes and said "you didn't polish your shoes".  I truthfully replied "they got scuffed coming in from the parking lot".  She scowled at me and said "I know old dirt from new dirt". 

Ginger- Please don't hesitate to speak up if you feel something is wrong.  Your instinct is there to protect you.  It is YOUR health and well-being that is at stake.  I'm not saying you should be rude, but certainly advocate for yourself.  If you are not comfortable with this woman, just say you would rather have someone else.  Early in my chemo treatment I was in the room waiting for a blood draw.  The tech went from patient to patient drawing blood.  Then she aproached me in the same gloves and started.  I politely said "would you wash your hands please?"  She very rudely said "I DID wash them!"  I almost said "I didn't mean this morning!"  Having studied way too much microbiology, I know how infection travels including MRSA.  SHE was protected with those gloves.  I was NOT!  She did wash her hands and put new gloves on.  By the way, for the rest of my chemo treatments she was VERY polite with me.  I am just too darn tired to deal with nonsense anymore.  Treat me right and I will do the same.

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

Holy Moose Feet, we made it to over 50 pages!!

......When a strange guy asks about your Springer Spaniels in the back of your car and he keeps calling you 'sir' bec you have short to no hair and keeps apologizing as we stand in front fo FOOD Lion, that is wrapped in pink for Octocancer month.

.......the cashier ask if you want to donate to BC fund and you point to your boob and say, "I already did."

.......when you feel something in your eye and dump a bottle of visine in it only to realize it is a stray hair that is actually from your head!!!!! Wooo Wooo!

Sweet dreams all and I think we have a book don't we? SV

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2010

When you go to bed early because you are tired, but then can't sleep so you get up and check out this thread...

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited October 2010

lol because that is exactly what I am doing at 1:45am.  I think I am a starting to stress about my upcoming surgery.