Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2010

i hate when they mention my hair after looking at my ID lol

i always say - it wasn't by choice

then they say - well i like this btter - did i go through life with an awful haircut?

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited October 2010

marilegal - love the Wedding story - very sweet!

Lady M and Kitty - you guys I'm sure are taking Las Vega by storm and by surprise! That poor woman is still probably trying to figure it out!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2010
    YKYACPW you're flying on business tomorrow and wonder what the TSA will say about your passport photo (long straight hair) versus you in-person (ultra-short post-chemo wavy white hair). Drivers license and work ID photos won't match reality either... Undecided
  • KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited October 2010

I have gotten quite a few looks but no comments on the ID thing.  I use to have light brown hair. What I have now is black and  about two inches long now.  All I want for Christmas is long enough hair to cut. 

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

I bet bald chemo patients wouldn't have trouble getting away with a fake passport/ driver's license -- sheer shock and embarrassment would probably discourage the official from messing with you. My dl photo which is about 20 years old looks more like my 15 YO daughter than me but no one flinches. I suspect no one expects a middle-aged woman to use a fake ID. At the gym that my daughter and I go to you have to scan your card and your photo pops up on the screen. Several times I accidentally scanned my daughter's card and the receptionist just smiled and welcomed me with my daughter's name. I was 47 with dark hair, she was 16 with very blonde hair and blue eyes.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

LOL, Ginger, I truly thought I was the only one dysfunctional enough to trap wet TP in my PJ's!!

.......last night using my new 'handicap' bullet proof shower, I trip on the lip going out, grab the shower curtain only to have the curtain rip off, rod hit me in the head as I am are headed for a faceplant and end up in a ball on the floor, trapped under mounds of rubber. And my puppies think this is a new game "mommy" has come up with.So the pile up on the bathroom floor becomes a real disaster because with 85 pound dogs on the shower curtain, mommy is naked and cannot get out!! My balance still really s#cks the big one. SV

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when you can make your BMX implants "jump" up and down on your chest by flexing your pectoral muscles and you show your sister and 86 year old parents your new trick! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited October 2010

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAAHHA

Still Verticle isn't back to vertical yet! OMG I'm SO sorry but that is too funny! As I was reading, I'm thinking "Don't grab the shower curtain! Whatever you do, don't grab the shower curtain!!" ehheheheheheheheheheheh

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2010

Yep, I've grabbed the shower curtain a few times. Always a mistake!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2013

when you're cleaning out your 5th wheel camper and getting it ready for company to stay in, you take the garbage to the trash can and on the way you catch your pants on a trailer corner and almost rip them right off your butt, right out in public. guess now they will be shorts, don't think they are fixable.

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

Oh JFV, OMG too funny-shame on you!! Lordy trick foobs! kind of like Mexican jumping beans...hey maybe those can be put in a foob. And the ripping of clothes on wierd things that you never thought could be there in the first place! And yes, the embarassment of lying on the floor trapped under rubber-felt like i was in stuck in a giant freaking condom!! TEEHEE-SV

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

SV - like Barb, as I was reading I was thinking.......not the shower curtain.  LMAO - thank you for sharing.

OMG - I never know what to say when they look at my ID, then at me and say "new hair?".  I want so bad to scream - CANCER, but I don't.  It happened yesterday at Walmart -  the lady was really nice, actually the nicest I've had in a while so I didn't say anything.  Hmmm should we say "busted" it's a fake ID and see what the cashiers do then?

• chrishat
    chrishat Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW you are standing at the gas station, busy street, pumping gas, and wearing a cute strapless dress. with no bra. you glance down at the gas pump thing and realize the cute dress has slid down to your navel. foobs= no feeling=not a good idea to wear strapless dresses anymore!

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2010

YKYACP... when the Safeway cashiers are on the PA system asking people to donate because it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month and you feel like pulling out your prosthesis, waving it around and saying  "I don't need an awareness month -- I have my reminder with me all the time!!"

(No, I didn't do it ... but October is far from over !)

• AStorm
    edited October 2010

Laurie - I hope Safeway is at least matching those donations! Similar thoughts went through my mind but instead I just said "yes".

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2010

I was at the grocery store and needed to buy TP, when I noticed a small pink ribbon on the brand that I usually buy.  I bought a different brand, as a form of protest.

YKYACPW you realize that the shower drain hasn't been clogged since you started chemo in April.

• toughmom38
    toughmom38 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW your husband's cousin and his girlfriend come in town and stay at your house and she asks to borrow your hairdryer and you have no idea where you've put it because you haven't used it in 6 months.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW...You give all your bras to your daughter, last new ones, didn't even wear, cuz you will no longer need them. Threw out all the old ones. Will have to buy new when they get me all fixed up next month. Going from a 42DD to maybe a large A. This way I don't have to wear a bra at all unless I just want to. Which won't be very often. It's been nice not to have to wear one. If the surgeon had done what I asked I wouldn't even be having anything done now. So I told the ps as long as he's making me even he might as well make them look somewhat like boobs again. No nipple or anything like that just shape them a little. We will see how it goes.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2010

...when despite your best efforts, the day or two or three after treatment stills leaves you in 'brain fade' mode.  This month, with the new double dosage, 'brain fade' has become 'backward speech' - all weekend and even today at work, I have taken two words and mixed up the first letter - the harder I tried to say it right, the worse it got.  I was having lunch with co-workers and said 'drud braw' so many times when we were discussing how you can't have a 'blood draw' from the arm where the lymp nodes have been removed.  It started with the new criteria for the flu shot offered at work - the questionaire now specifically asks about lymp node removal.  I got reported last year for 'lying' on my form.  This year, I have a note from the onc stating I am of the group that NEEDS to get the flu shot. 

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

StillVertical-  OMG!  I'm telling you we need to write that sitcom.  Too many hilarious scenes!

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

First I am the only 'gal' at my job, they do not know me at all. It is kind of nice...

Ykyacpw your coworker is sprouting a shaved head & everyone gives him greif & laughs about how you(me) are the only one keeping the non bald head side even numbered. All I could think was If you only knew...they would not have even thought to say that a few short months ago....I snickered inside & even told one.. "been there" I do not think he got it!!!

toughmom38, I only know where mine is cause I use it to defrost the freezer.

leisaparis, I donated all my good bras as I have no girls

jenn3 You got it 3 times at wally world 3 different cashiers & the last time was with my kids around they were so upset... I had to say something.Wink

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited October 2010

chrishat,  That is hysterical.   Darla

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

........when you go to the YMCA to get a "subsidy membership" and the hair that you do have is growing back a shocking grey and the woman at the desk says "your over 65 aren't you?" No you freaking idiot, I am 55!! I am usually pegged at 45 or ten years younger than my real age. CRAP! xxoo, SV

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2013

Lady_Madonna - thanks for the birthday wishes!!!  Friday night was fun!  Thank goodness that lady didn't see us crack up at the hair comment!  It wouldn't be a night out unless we got lost in the car!!!

when you and LadyM are meeting up with the BCO girls for the Ta Ta Sisterhood and walk right past the meeting area and clear across the other side of the mall (and then see the meeting place and still can't find the BCO girls).  LOL! 

when you're having one hot flash after another during your 41st birthday party!  And you thought you'd experience menopause symptoms when you were closer to 50!

when your DH cleans the house for your party because you don't have the energy to clean.  Plus your legs hurt - Darn Taxol!!!!! 

when you keep wiggling your toes in hope that you can feel them, but NO they're still numb.  Darn Taxol!!!!!

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited October 2010

Oh my goodness, that had to be quite the experience!   Double sided tape? Spray glue. I have used both in costuming. Maybe add a little spaghetti strap?

Do tell did you get any whistles? 

• AStorm
    edited October 2010
    SV -awww! I have to say, I'm looking my age now, at least. Everytime I catch a glipse of myself I do a double-take cuz my mother has been gone for several years now. One time, I think I was in my 30's, a grocery clerk asked me to remove my sunglasses. I did and then asked her why. She said she was trying to decide whether or not to ask for my ID for the wine... while I'm standing there holding my shades... waiting.  Finally told her that at this point it would be very rude not to ask. Don't think she got it.
  • littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW -You go into Victoria's Secret...not to look for a bra, but to look for panties that will give you the ass you lost during chemo. Just in case you're wondering, they don't carry them. Walked in without an ass, walked out without an ass:)

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

OMG Chris and KittyC-I am ROLOTFLMAO-Thank you so much for the giggles. Chris, I really hope there was not a security camera getting your 'show.' We just have to write a book-for real!! no new hoots from me right now. I fished all day and am absolutely exhausted!! Well, maybe one

.....when you spend $45 dollars on bait to catch the smallest fish in the Atlantic!! Gees, ya can't even see it but i am posting it anyway-teehee. Sweet Dreams all, SV

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited October 2010

SV - that's still better than catching your a$$!!!   LOL~~  You look great - hope you get something bigger next time!!  ((HUGS))

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010

Is this a picture of the fish or the bait?  Tee hee, just kidding!  You know what they say- the worst day fishing is better than the best day doing chemo!!!  (Or at least that's what you say when YKYACP!!!)