Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

Lady_Madonna - very funny saying!  Almost anything is better than doing chemo!!! 

Still Verticle - I'm glad to see you verticle and not horizontal in that pic! 

YKYACP when you find a mystery load in the wash machine and you swear you didn't put it in there cuz you haven't washed anything for a few days.  Then your DH says "chemo brain" and you realize HE PUT THE CLOTHES IN THE WASH AND TRIED TO BLAME YOUR CHEMO BRAIN!!!!!  How dare he!  LOL!!!  (and it was there for a few days - yuck - had to rewash it)! 

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW you're approached by a group asking if you want to buy a plastic bracelet to support a "cancer project" and your response is "I am a cancer project."  Wasn't the barely there hair a tip off?

LOL!!!  

• kittycat
    edited October 2010

Cancer project!  LOL!!!  That is hilarious! 

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited August 2013

..when

you finish your chemotherapy and then you get 'deported'

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited October 2010

WTH is a cancer project???  LMBO

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010

I know... "cancer project?"  This whole October is going to be interesting!!!  

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2010

I had to go the cancer clinic yesterday for an appointment, and I purchased a parking pass, which are a different colour every month.  Guess what colour it was for October........you got it, pink!  Then, I went to Safeway, and I guess that they are huge supporters of Pinktober, the manager was walking around in a pink t-shirt and a pink, curly clown wig! WTF!!!  I wanted to say something, but I didn't think that I could hold it together.  I think that I will write a letter.  I mean really, is it just me, or was that a little bit offensive?  I felt that it trivialized and demeaned those of us who are dealing with this disease.

ok, so YKYACP when you are sick and tired of all the pink, and it is only the first week of the month.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

Our Safeway is also over the top this year. I'm just going to stay away. Don't need any more awareness and I know where to donate. I can't remember how I felt about Pinktober at Safeway before I had bc but I don't remember it being such a party. YKYACP when you realize it's not a party.

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

YKYACPW

you see a teacher wearing a pink bracelet at conferences ask & through that (pink) bracelet find a new bc sister, I invited her to join bc.org

Pink might stink but sometimes it might help too.Wink

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

Oh Lordy, I am so over PINK! I feel pinked to death this month. And okay, okay all of the frap about my fish-teehee-that was the worst day ever and the only size we caught yesterday. if you all really want to see how a 'cancer project' (me) fishes....go to Discovery Channel-Animal Planet-Blogs-Biggest Catch. I me, the cancer person, is featured on their website for my avarice (yeah look it up) at catching big fish. The pix was taken like four years ago when I had hair and I sent the photos in and stunned that Discovery channel contacted me to feature me with a huge sailfish that I caught and released!

.....when your sisters frap you about the fish you caught and you want to lie about it and say that it is the bait but it takes too much energy to lie about anything anymore! tee-hee

.......when you sleep all day (today) from spending an entire day yestereday using a nine foot surf rod, just to throw a cr#pload of bait into the surf!

.....when reeling in a three ounce weight about a 1,000 times a day is considered 'physical therapy' for your battered breast and arm!!

.....when your sisters give you good warning about what grocery stores to avoid during October.

.......when you get in a fight with your vacuum cleaner because the parts are falling off and you cannot get the new filter in without needing a mechanic!

xxoooo, SV

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when the pink shit going on makes everyone look like clowns, not supporters! I mean COME-ON!!!!! Pep rallies and parties are great for fraternities and proms and stuff, not for a serious disease. I don't see us all dancing around in teal blue or whatever it is for prostate cancer!!!

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2010

pinktober?

heh

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

StillVertical-  What a beautiful place you live in!  One thing I can assure you of is that your fish is bigger than the one I caught (non existent)!

YKYACPW-  You have to spellcheck everything.  I used to be a great speller, now everything looks wrong.  How DO you spell caught?  Or is spellcheck just messing with my chemo brain!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

StillVertical-  What a beautiful place you live in!  One thing I can assure you of is that your fish is bigger than the one I caught (non existent)!

YKYACPW-  You have to spellcheck everything.  I used to be a great speller, now everything looks wrong.  How DO you spell caught?  Or is spellcheck just messing with my chemo brain!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010

SV, Awesome!!!  Sorry about the ribbing... My story will make you feel better. 

As I mentioned I love to fish, and so do my hubby and boys.  We had a vacation in Colorado and my hubby told us it was his life-long dream to catch a northern pike.  So we got a guide and went out there and spent hours and hours trying to get those darn northern pike. 

Finally he got a bite on and came up with the teeny, tiniest little fish we'd ever seen- all of about four inches!  But it was a northern pike!!  We told him he'd fulfilled his life-long dream and we were all getting the heck outta there!! 

We all laughed so hard we just about peed ourselves.  He went back by himself the next couple mornings and caught some decent fish, but we STILL tease him about fulfilling his "pike" dream when he caught his itty-bitty wittle fish!!!  :) 

• mnmom
    edited November 2010

SV you are quite the fisherwoman!!!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

I really don't have much to add, but thought I'd pop in an get a few laughs.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2010

I thought the official color for proctology awareness month was brown....

...when you do a load of laundry in the dryer, but forgot to put the cloths in...at least my bounce sheet was dry.

one of these days I am going to post everything I type and not spell check....you won't be able to read it.

• Ca1Ripken
    edited October 2010

A BC Bozo clown.... nice!!  That's sure to raise awareness.... not.  I would send a letter... it's not a joke, and it's not Halloween. 

Lady - Your pike story is hilarious!  Reminds me of the first time I caught a flounder... I wasn't expecting a flounder and could only see the white side... scared the crap out of me and I dropped my rod and ran (I'm not a very good fisher!!).   SV - really cool about Discovery! 

• kittycat
    edited October 2010

SV - are you the first pic with the sailfish???  Very cool that they posted your pic!  Now you're a celebrity!  :)

Yeah, the pink wig is over the top.  Do they have any posters in their store about getting mammos, ultrasounds and doing breast self checks?  Maybe one of us should go in their bald and say  "HEY!  THIS IS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS!!!!!"  Dummies!

YNYABCP...when realize that you can no longer make "mental notes" of anything.....Today I was shopping at Trader Joe's (small grocery store) and when I thought of something I needed, I walked to the other side of the store, talking very quietly to myself, saying "olive oil, olive oil..." until I get to the olive oil (and other items I needed)!  A couple people smiled at me, probably thinking "poor crazy lady!"  LOL!!!

• kittycat
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when you it wouldn't be another night on chemo unless both sides of your nose were bleeding! Gross - Damn Taxol!!!

When you rub your eyes in the shower and find another lash on your hand!  I only have 3-5 left on each eye!  Damn Taxol!!! 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited October 2010

When you write more stuff on your shopping list while you're in the supermarket because, like Kittycat, mental notes seem to be written in invisible ink.

Leah

P.S. Kittycat - I have a friend who keeps saying "taxol taxes all". Yup.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited October 2010

Wait a minute, I thought Taxol was supposed to be less difficult than AC x 4 ?  Bloody nose, eyelashes falling out. I was delayed a week due to this cough & cold that still has me hacking but thought t isn't supposed to be so rough.

So YKYABCPW you keep being surprised that the treatment is a big pain and that the preventative meds are also a big pain. 

Is Taxol really rough too? I need some gentle. 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2013

Gingerbrew, something I heard many times from the chemo nurses - se's are very individual. Some people breeze through chemo feeling fine, working, etc, while others are flat on their backs. You could be anywhere on the spectrum.

YKYACPW your dh tells you he just llistened to a talk radio show about snake bites which listed the symptoms of poisoning and he says "Some of them sound like your symptoms. They also said that with snakebite your feel 'X' " and your say, "Yup, I got that" and he says "And they also said with snakebite you feel 'Y' " and you say, "Yup, feel 'Y' "  all through the whole dang alphabet until you start to wonder if you had chemo or were bitten by a snake.

Leah

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2013

...when you finally figure out that you better use the 'preview' button every time before you 'submit' a post as almost without fail, if you select submit first, you will have to go back and edit the darn thing. 

Edited to add - and even that doesn't work and you still have to edit and fix something!

• mnmom
    edited November 2010
    Ykyacpw it talks you 3 times to remember to save a phone # on your phone after you have gone through & entered the name & #, & entered it, & entered it DANG IT!!Laughing
  • leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited October 2010

When you're having a going away dinner at work, and your co-workers know how your chemo brain doesn't work these days. They call you before work to remind you what you are suppose to bring, because they know you will forget. Thank God for good friends.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2013

I spell check, preview and still have to go back and edit all the time.Dang it did it again.

• Ca1Ripken
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when you can't even have any privacy as you are standing in the aisle near the pharmacy trying to pick out a stool softener and all the people in line picking up their heart meds are enamoured by the bald lady... come on people, leave me alone... I just want to pick out poop meds in peace!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

Lady Madona-love the pike story and

KittyK-Yup that IS me, in the first pic on the Discovery page. It was my first sailfish catch-how cool is that?

And Lea....OMGLOL.....I needed a head sticker that said "leave the bald headed lady alone!"

.......when you turn your message machine off bec you cannot stand to hear one more message and now people really need to get ahold of you and you can't turn the damned thing back on.

XXOO, SV