Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited July 2011

I bought one of those 'grabbers' at Walgreens and love it!  I pull weeds with it among many other things.  $10.  Priceless, but I do hide it when friends come over...makes me feel old(er).  But it does save your back, and that's a good thing (especially for me) !

• jackifp
    jackifp Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2011

Re- figuring the tip - if you're in a 8% or so tax area, just double the tax to get your tip amount. My poor brain might still need that calculator, but it's fewer buttons to push :)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011

jackifp, thanks that's a great tip!

YKYACP when you are no longer self-conscious about going flat, sometimes you forget about it altogether, and you feel bad for people who feel bad for you when they first figure it out.  (most people don't even notice)

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited July 2011

YKYACPW you feel like an alien from another planet every time you're around "normal" people.

YKYACPW you feel like physical and emotional crap from treatment and it occurs to you that these might be the only "good" days you have left. 

• tnbcRuth
    edited July 2011

Lena- yikes!  That's a scary thought!  Are pain killers and tranquilizers an option???  If you ever drank too much, do you remember the very free feeling you had the next day because all your worries were forgotten (while you were drunk, urp)?  I think that is actually good for us...we have to step away from the crap once in awhile and 'forget' we're a CaPt.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2011

When you realize how slow you are walking, when you go out in public. 

When sleeping becomes a new favorite past time! :)

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2011

Kittycat -Is it almost a year already - wow did that time ever pass by quickly?  You look truly fabulous.  I know what you mean about neuropathy, even 2 1/2 years later I still have problems with that.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2011

Gaynorl, I know, it's hard to imagine that it's been a year.  this time last year my counts dropped dangerously low.  I was so glad to be off the AC!!!  That was a tough chemo for sure!

I have one more surgery left at the end of this month.  Hopefully, that's the last of all this crap!!!   I have to see an endocrinologist because my PCP thinks I have hypoglcemia (from a glucose tolerance test).

YKYACP when you've lost count of how many doctors you have!!!

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2011

YMYACP when every time you go for annual check up they find something else is failing, probably due to effects of treatment.  Last year strangulated bowel emergency surgery due to scar tissue  after oopherectomy so I could take AIs, this year possible hyperthyroidism probably as a result of chemo, rads, AIs who knows!?  I wil find out when they re run the tests again this month.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2011

I can relate to that!!!

YKYACPW your phone book names all end in "ologist".

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2011

OMG Barbe ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

YKYACPW you're taking medications and having treatments to ameliorate SIDE EFFECTS. 

• badger
    edited August 2011

YKYACPW your bangs are finally long enough to reach your eyebrows, it's only taken a year!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2011

YKYACPW you agree to be the polevaulter in the waterbed olympics but forget that you have already taken two Ambien....oops. How long does chemo brain last?

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2011

Too funny I love this thead.

• jen_b
    jen_b Member Posts: 197
    edited August 2011

YKYACPW you are excited about your dr saying that you are unremarkable.

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 185
    edited August 2011

It's taken me several weeks to get through this thread and it was all worth it. My contributions:

YKYACPW - Before recon: one night I changed in the bathroom and, in order not to wake up my sleeping partner in the bedroom, I threw my bra, with foob, across the room.  It missed the bureau, landed on the floor with a loud thump. He woke up startled and asked why I was mad at him - what did he do - what did I throw at him?

YKYACPW - As someone else mentioned, I, too, know the locations of the bathrooms of every facility that I visit, and I often use them.

YKYACPW - Before my recon, I used to pin my shirt to my bra strap so that my chest wasn't showing when I  moved or bent over. My recon isn't that great, but no more pins!

• bedo
    bedo Member Posts: 1,429
    edited August 2011

You get to let your real personality shine through and can get away with it.  Sloth and hermit.

• tnbcRuth
    edited August 2011

Oh bedo, I choked on my coffee reading that...sooo funny!!!  I can totally relate!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2011

Me, relating here, too.

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited August 2011

LOL!  Relating here too!

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2011
    Sloth and hermit.....thanks for the validation!
  • chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited August 2011
    many thanks Wink
  • sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited August 2011

Okay ditto here

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2011

Maybe we need a new thread "For sloths and hermits" ???

• badger
    edited August 2011

YKYASHW?  Wink

(you know you're a sloth(ful) hermit when ... )

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited August 2011

YKYASHW you yell for your kids to come in the living room because you are on the couch and the remote is halfway across the room...

• badger
    edited August 2011

LOL!

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2011

.....when you have chin hair growing faster than hair on your head

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited August 2011

RangerMom I can so relate-----I have this one spot on my chin and one wild piercing hair on moustache that each site grows like no others. Does remind me of my mom. I always found this bic type razor in her purse when we got to a phase where she would need periodic , urgent, but not hospital admission visits with her doc, and I had to get out her Cards. Not once did I ever see her use it, or talk of it. Until she went through a critical illness in 1995. She was 81. Then I found out she regularly got rid of unwanted hair. Of course while I was doing it for her, about 3 docs walked in---------a privacy of so many years. She also came up with a phrase at the time."You want a doc to show up, just get on the commode". She had not been in the hospital overnight since 1950, since I was born.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2011

Omg sas that reminds me of when I was in the hospital in Nov. I actually had a doc sit on the bed and give me his consult while I was on the bedside commode. I was too embarrassed to say anything. Glad he was never my doc (he was the orth assigned while I was there - mine didn't have priveledges).