Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2011

Oh Reesie!! Did he even realize you were on the pot??? Perhaps he thought you were just sitting there? I have dreams where I have to talk to people while I ...uh....empty my bowels and I'm trying to distract them from the fact that that is what I'm doing!!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited August 2011

I once asked the doc to leave the room, while mom was on the commode-----his attitude----he was affronted, and left the room in a huff. Screw himm

• spanien
    spanien Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I know what you mean, and sometimes if the postman rings early in the morning by the time I'm finish looking for my bra he's gone, wich is not a big deal because I'm not in the mood to see anybody after being most of the night covering and uncovering myself due to my hotflashes(thanks to ARIMIDEX)Embarassed
  • DeeLJ
    DeeLJ Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    PLEASE add me to the sloth and hermit foundation Laughing I am spending a lot of time FORCING myself to rest and recover from my BMX and this thread is sure helping! I am attempting to embrace my inner S&H.... lol...
  • reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2011

I'm pretty sure he knew Barbe. Luckily I was just "finished". I should have known he was a dud dr right then. He's the reason I was bedridden for 5 months. He said that my tibia and humerous were fine for rads - so we started them and then my orth said no way they should have been pinned first..since the lesions spanned more than 75% of the bone. When the lesions were zapped there would be holes ripe for collapse.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2011

Come on!! I mean, even as laymen (women)?? we can see that was a recipe for disaster Marie!!! Duh on doctors everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 185
    edited August 2011

YKYACPW - After watching a lot of crime shows, you realize that the street value of your pain meds could buy you a new car, but you'd rather have the meds.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2011

My doctor warned me about that! I told him I'd NEVER selll a single one as I needed them all. I could get $40-$60 a pill here and my prescription for just ONE of my pain meds is 120 pills a month!

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011

As a nurse for close to 40 years, I never sat on the BSC to talk. The implication to the discussion was just to much--------Do you get the connection LOL.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2011

LOL amontro, that's a good one! I also would rather have my pain meds when I need them than a new car.

YKYACPW you get to meet a BCO friend in person, with whom you have many OTHER things in common, and both of you end up spending the whole time talking about your treatments!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited August 2011

In 1990,my daughter was prescribed 'Growth Hormone' when she was 12, as she had stopped growing due to WBR.  Each time I went to the hospital to pick up a new batch, I found myself acting more like a drug addict/pusher than the real ones do.  One months' script cost our Gov't $A15,000, so my paranoia was rampant after finding out that body builders and athletes had a black market in the stuff.

It took six months to find out that it didn't work for her and I was quite relieved at that news.

Sheila.

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011

Sheila apparently there is a black market for AI's. Came across it looking for somthing else. My only thought was how could someone intentional hurt themselves with this stuf. Dumb DUMB sas

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2011

SAS I thought the same of steroids - why in the world would someone take this stuff if they didn't have to (chemo pre-med).

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2011

Along the same line - YKYACPW you text your DH, DS, DD from the other end of the house to bring you stuff (I really did this during chemo). I didn't feel up to yelling...

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited August 2011

Black market for AIs? What are those? Anti-inflammatory meds? Do they give us those with chemo?

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2011

Windlass, AIs are aromatase inhibitors. They prevent the formation of estrogen in post-menopausal women and are prescribed after surgery/chemo/rads for early-stage ER+ women and as first-line treatment for Stage IV ER+ women.

Since you're ER+, if you're post-meno your onc will probably talk to you about them at some point.

Leah

• Lena
    edited August 2011

I used to just be a hermit, but the rads I'm doing (24/33 today) have made me slothful too. I haven't cleaned my house in over a month and don't cook food anymore either -- I eat "easy stuff" which mostly is fine on paper plates, so very few dishes to wash, and no pots or pans. I get home from rads, (and, when applicable, whatever errands I run on the way home like getting gas, buying milk, picking up meds from the drugstore), then I collapse on the couch -- with or without eating first, for HOURS. Uggh, I'm such a slug.....

YKYACPW the sight of hairs in your tub/shower improves your mood. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2011

YKYASHW you are rooting for this thread to hit 100 pages.

YKYACPW your morning routine includes checking your neck just in case one of those dark and mysterious inch-long hairs has sprouted overnight.

• windlass
    edited August 2011

Leah: Thanks for explaining. That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard of. Who in their right mind would want to take an aromatase inhibitor (even WITH cancer) unless they absolutely had to??

That's like tamoxifen, right? Which I hear a lot of women get major SEs from. So why take it "off label" or recreationally, or for whatever reason people do it?

Man, next you'll be telling me there's a recreational black market for Adriamycin and Taxol. ROTFL.

• jackifp
    jackifp Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2011

...and black market, dark alley (outpatient, of course) surgery for port installation, in order to get the full benefit of the drugs...

• jackifp
    jackifp Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2011

...and black market, dark alley (outpatient, of course) surgery for port installation, in order to get the full benefit of the drugs...

• windlass
    edited August 2011

Radiation, too? Okay, this is getting ridiculous ;)

• elinruby
    elinruby Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011

Jteach, that's funny 

• elinruby
    elinruby Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011

People have long conversations with you based on the assumption that you are some other bald lady they met on the bus. Or saw on TV. 

• windlass
    edited August 2011

YKYACP in chemo when you need ativan to get a decent night's sleep.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited August 2011

Elinruby, you just tickled my funny bone something awful................once you take the hair of us all................we all look the same...............gufffaaawwwwwwwwwwwww! I never saw it quite like that before.

Sheila.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2011
    YKYACPW you actually thank God as you flush a bowel movement down the toilet! Embarassed
  • mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2011

YKYACPW one day you go from taking two daily meds to two plus something for...

Constipation, diarrhea, insomnia, nerves, depression, mild pain, moderate pain, excruciating pain, supplements for bone health, anemia...

"If needed..."

YKYACPW you no longer worry if your hair is windblown, but blown off by the wind ;) and you're suddenly topless on the noggin!

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited August 2011

Barb- you cracked me up! I love the way you expess yourself.

• Lena
    edited August 2011

OK I think I'm missing something here.  Badger's abbreviation YKYASHW (as compared to "YKYACPW") -- what does that mean? 

Um hmmmmmm, how about this lovely experience of just half an hour ago:

YKYACPW for the first time in days you go out on your deck and REALLY look at the container gardens you lovingly planted in the spring and daily nurtured and admired until the rads fatigue hit, at which point you not only realize you've only remembered (since kidney failure and rads fatigue slammed you a month and a half ago) to even look in on and water them just barely enough to keep them alive... so now you see these little grape tomatoes and baby cantelopes growing in spite of your later neglect, and as you water them, feel sad that you even planted them because you didn't have the energy to really enjoy them all summer like you'd hoped to (and that had been the only "hope" you'd had for the summer)....all the while you know you should go to the gardening supply shop and get stakes and twine for the tomatoes/start staking them (like you know you should have done last weekend) but still can't because now in addition to the fatigue, the radiation burns and blisters both itch and hurt even as you're all greasy and gross from all the frickin creams you put on and are STILL putting on and you just have nothing left in you to do it -- and THIS -- the business with the plants and having hoped to enjoy -- is what finally makes you cry for the first time since the rads started.