Hope you are felling better.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    Options

welcome april :)

• Emme
    Emme Member Posts: 85
    Options

Yipppeee I am sprung from the hospital..expanders intact...so far so good...now we try the oral antibiotics and pray i continue to improve....Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your prayers and kindness.....I means everything to me.

Em

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Emme-yay! So glad your doing better! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

• heebie_jeebie
    heebie_jeebie Member Posts: 92
    Options

Emme - great to hear the good news

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    Options

good news emme

• Carole66
    Carole66 Member Posts: 26
    Options

Glad to hear the good new Emme. Hope you have great weekend. Well i got brave Friday night. A friend wanted to see how my hair was growing while I was out at a bar  and I took the wig off and haven't put it back on since. My hair is barely 1/2 inch long and black and grey and kinky but if I gel it down, it's not too bad. I am getting stares of course. But hey, it's the real me.

• Claire82
    Options

aww

i bet you are beautiful!

• kjbrown92
    kjbrown92 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Imagine my surprise when I found this thread and it said the meeting was in Haddam... I live in Haddam!! Can I join this thread even if I don't have cancer?

I just was diagnosed with ADH and am trying to decide between Tamoxifen and increased surveillance or PBM (my mother had premenopausal BC and my father's mother had breast cancer in her 80s). According to the Gail Model, my risk is 41%. Some days that sounds horrible, and some days not so bad. My breast surgeon and oncologist are at St. Francis. And the plastic surgeon I've talked to is also there. Someone recommended that I get a second opinion. Anyone have someone they love?

• sweetie2040
    Options

Kjbrown92-glad you joined us! I had IDC in one breast and ALH in the other. I had to do something on the cancer side but did not have to do anything on the ALH side. They told me that I could be monitored. However after much soul searching and researching I decided on a BMX. When the final pathology came though I had LCIS and DCIS on the breast that was supposed to just have ALH.  In my case I feel I made the best choice to get rid of the risk of cancer on that side. However, it's a very personal choice. In my case I had cancer on one side already so that put me at a higher risk of getting cancer on the other side. I was also BRCA negative and had no family history and am in excellent health otherwise. You really have to think about how you feel and what you can live with as far as your own peace of mind. Some women are fine just knowing they can be monitored and if anything turns up it should be caught early. Others can not even stand the thought of the increased risk. Again it's a very personal decision. I had a NSM and I know a lot of women who had them  who had DCIS or LCIS and not IDC.  You have time to think about your options. You don't have to rush into anything. Getting a second opinion is a good idea. Wish you the best, we're here for you.

If you PM I'll give you the names of some other Dr's in the area who are highly recommended.

• Claire82
    Options

Dr. Nerenstone at Hartford Hospital is great. She is my oncologist.

I'm from Haddam also. Of course you can join this thread :)

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Speaking of Dr. Nerenstone - I have seen 2 oncologists, Rabinowe as St. Francis and Nerenstone.  Nerenstone was for my second opinion.  Now I need to pick one.  I liked how caring and interested Rabinow was, but she is also I feel "overcautious".  Nerenstone seems fine and maybe less likely to "overtreat", but when I went to see here she didn't seem to know a thing about me until she looked at my paperwork during our visit. 

Any thoughts on this?

• Claire82
    Options

She is one of the most requested doctors at Hartford Hospital. She does a ton of research. She does come off very serious, but her job is a very serious nature. I grew to love her. She does treat cancer aggressively which I wanted. One of her best perks is her nurse Helen. Helen has the motherly personality that I needed when I went in for my treatments. She can find a vein in a rock. Because of her, I didn't need a port as I have very small veins. I wouldn't trade the two of them for anyone. She also works hand in hand with the surgeons at the Center for Breast Care.

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

I am so conflicted about who to go with. One time I called Nerenstones number to ask a question and the answering desk people told me that either she or another dr would call me back (she may have been on vacation then) and no one ever called back.  At the same time at St. Francis, my surgeon was away and they had another surgeon called me right back.  That really turned me off to her (nerenstones) office even thou it did not really reflect on her.

On the other hand, she (Nerenstone) practices in Avon so I would not have to go into Hartford. 

I need to see one of them shortly after my surgery - right now I have appt.s with both. 

Ack!! - How do I decide??  I'm going to see this Dr. for a long time.

• Claire82
    Options

I don't know hunni

Go with your gut!

Next time ask for Helen lol

There is also another onc - Dr Defusco

I have heard wonderful things about her through my PT. She is a mothering type. She actually went to one of her patients homes to check on her. She is out of Hartford Hospital also and has an office in Wethersfield, I believe. She is always on Connecticuts Magazines top docs.

Have you seen that list?

• Emme
    Emme Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in...so good so far...no flare ups..two more days of oral antibiotics...I have my  fingers crossed.  I hope everyone is doing well..

Emme

• Claire82
    Options

Sounds good Emme!

• Carole66
    Options

Glad to hear you are still doing well Emme. I colored my hair 2 days ago. I was scared it was going to turn out bad but i did it dark brown, it covered all of the gray. So I am happy about that. I am seeing my PS today for what is supposed to be my first fill. My left breast is much bigger than the right right now so I am hoping he only does the right one. I am going away on a little vacation and hoping to hit the beach maybe so I need even boobs. lol

• monee
    monee Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi Girls,

I'm a CT girl too! Not sure if I can make a get together, but I would like to join the conversation.  I am from the Southbury area.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Emme-glad to hear your doing well!

Carole66-you go girl! Rock that short hair and keep smiling because you have a beautiful smile!!

Monee-Welcome and nice to meet you.

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    Options

Good wishes to everybody in CT!

I am in SW CT, near Danbury, I will happily drive to anywhere to meet my ladies from CT!

Emme, so glad you are doing well, and Carole, you are gorgeous without hair...you must be stunning now!

be well all

annie

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    Options

...only time I can't are weekends, off and on, as I drive to see my kid in college in PA.

I'll make it work.  25th wedding anniversary is 10/4 weekend, so that's out for me.

Soooo happy to meet others in CT!

• kjbrown92
    Options

So I'm waffling between Dr. Horowitz at Yale, and Dr. Brady at Hartford. Dr. Horowitz was my mother's doctor, apparently, and she said that she was a little too brisk for her (and my mother isn't a touchy feely person anyway). The only thing is she might have my mother's records because my mother has no clue what kind she had (it was "sparkly" on the mammogram, that's all she can remember). Is one hospital better than another for care? I want nipple sparing. That's about all I know. I can't even make up my mind whether 42% risk is bad or really not that bad. I have the tamoxifen. I'm waiting until tonight to take it (because I'm procrastinating). My husband and I grew up in Newtown, between Southbury and Danbury, and I commuted to Newtown for a long time after moving to Haddam, so I don't mind driving.

• kjbrown92
    Options

So I'm waffling between Dr. Horowitz at Yale, and Dr. Brady at Hartford. Dr. Horowitz was my mother's doctor, apparently, and she said that she was a little too brisk for her (and my mother isn't a touchy feely person anyway). The only thing is she might have my mother's records because my mother has no clue what kind she had (it was "sparkly" on the mammogram, that's all she can remember). Is one hospital better than another for care? I want nipple sparing. That's about all I know. I can't even make up my mind whether 42% risk is bad or really not that bad. I have the tamoxifen. I'm waiting until tonight to take it (because I'm procrastinating).

• kjbrown92
    Options

So I'm waffling between Dr. Horowitz at Yale, and Dr. Brady at Hartford. Dr. Horowitz was my mother's doctor, apparently, and she said that she was a little too brisk for her (and my mother isn't a touchy feely person anyway). The only thing is she might have my mother's records because my mother has no clue what kind she had (it was "sparkly" on the mammogram, that's all she can remember). Is one hospital better than another for care? I want nipple sparing. That's about all I know. I can't even make up my mind whether 42% risk is bad or really not that bad. I have the tamoxifen. I'm waiting until tonight to take it (because I'm procrastinating). I

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Claire - do you think it would be awkward for me to see Defusco if I already saw Nerenstone since they are in the same general group?  I'll check out that list you mentioned

Emme - glad to hear all is doing well.

kjbrown - I'm sure  your mom can get her records if you want to know what here dx and treatment were.

• Claire82
    Options

Dr. Defusco and Dr. Nerenstone aren't in the same group. So I think it would be fine. One is CT surgical group and the other is CT multi something or other - I can't remember. I do know my PT said Dr. Defusco would be her first choice. I don"t know her. Does anyone else use her?

I've heard really good things about Dr. Horowitz from Yale. She just moved to the cancer center.

My BS moved and my new one will be Dr. Brady. I haven't met her yet but have heard great things about her.

It's pretty confusing isn't it.

I'm still waffleing between a PS at Hartford and one at Sloan Kettering for my revision - if you can call a whole new re-do a revision lol

Sweetie - do you have a date yet? and did you decide on gummies?

Carole - I just got my hair trimmed and colored. She showed me how to make it look like a style instead of dog hair lol

• Carole66
    Options

haha I think I will have dog hair for a while. It's still too short to do anything with it but I am getting compliments that it looks good so I will go with that. I went to see my PS today as I was supposed to get my first fill and ended up getting my left breast drained instead. No wonder it was so painful. They wanted to put a drain back in. I panicked as I am leaving on a short vacation to Maryland tomorrow so he opted to drain it and see how I do over the weekend. It's slightly less painful so I am hoping for the best.

• April-2010
    April-2010 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Heebie_jeebie:  I see Dr. DeFusco for my follow-up care.  She has a top-notch reputation and she seems very thorough in her exams.  You never feel rushed, she asks a lot of questions to make sure she covers everything and her physical exam is probably the most thorough out of all my other doctors so I always feel like I'm getting checked out pretty good.  I do have to warn you though that about a month or so ago all her patients received a notice in the mail that her office has hired a Physician Assistant (PA) and the aim will be to alternate follow up visits between her and the PA.  I'm not too thrilled about that because the reason I picked her is to see her but we'll see how this works out.  I know she's got a lot of patients and she divides her time between 3 office locations so she probably could use the help...but still...    Another oncologist that is very highly recommended is out of New Britain - Dr. Fallon.  Apparently her qualifications are on par with Dr. DeFusco's.  I've been to a breast cancer presentation where she gave an overview and I thought she was very knowledgeable and personable. Just some info for you as you make your decisions.

Emme - so glad to hear you're on the mend!

Carole & Claire - lol...I'm laughing about the 'dog' hair comments because my hair is at that exact stage so I can completely relate!  I'm still wearing my wig to work and just venture out without it when I know I won't run into anyone I know.  It seems like it's taking forever to grow out too.  Carole - enjoy your vacation!

Are there any single ladies on here?  Just wondering if anyone has any dating stories to share...

• Claire82
    Options

My breast group is doing the same with the PA, but you can refuse to see the PA and make the appt with the doc only. I did this. I figured with triple negative that I needed all the expertise I can get for the next 5 years. It is my body and I think I still have the right to say who touches it ;)