Connecticut Girls

Options

Comments

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Heebie-Jeebie-Well I was going to get the gummies from the start but I noticed that I keep liking the upper pole fullness of the rounds. Since I'm bilateral I didn't need to match my natural breast. I think if I had been a uni I would have definitely went with the gummy.  I took some other factors into consideration too and really I didn't know which way to go.  At my last fill back in Aug I just decided to go with the rounds knowing that they could still be switched out the gummies. I have no way of knowing which would look better so I just made a choice. If I had wanted the gummies I would have had to be enrolled in the study and he would have had to have them ordered in advance for the surgery. He wouldn't have taken both styles in with him because it's something you have to decide on before hand.

I'm glad your doing well. The MX is definitely a lot harder then the exchange and I think you've done really good. I think I only had like three fills. I had 250 at surgery and then I had to have one TE replaced so that one was under filled and I had wait for a while. I think one fill was 50 and the other 100 and that was it. None of them hurt at all.The longer you wait and the more time you have to heal before the fills the more comfortable they will be too. 

• heebie_jeebie
    heebie_jeebie Member Posts: 92
    Options

Thanks sweeite:  when do you get to peek at the new girls?   Are you in the same kind of bra as after the MX?  Also, did you have to get drains this time?  I would rather never see one again.

Has anyone else considered some way to alter the seat belt in the car or maybe have a small pillow to  put between it and the chest.  I hate how it feels against me, especially when I'm driving.

BTW:  if implants are called foobs, my daughter decided that the TE should be called the anti-boob. Smile

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    Options

The hospital gave me a pillow for the seatbelt - i think it was from the american cancer society

how r u both doing?

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

claire:  is the pillow any different than a small regular pillow?

I'm doing really well except 2 things:  This TE is a reall bother-  It feels icky and irritating much of the time.  And I get tired so fast. 

• Claire82
    Options

Nope - it was a small soft pillow

the icky and iritating part will go away -mine only bothered me after fills for a couple of days.

and again - my PT was an important part of that - she kept everything loose and comfortable

the tiredness goes away after about 3-4 weeks - until u start chemo

are you doing chemo?

u sound incredibly good heebie

much better than me at the same time

• Claire82
    Options

Heebie

do u have access to the picture forum?

PM timtam and ask for it if you dont

• sweetie2040
    Options

Heebie- I have been peeking. They look really natural. No step off at all. No drains at all. The surgery really was a piece of cake. I feel so much better today except for being tired. They gave me a little pillow after my MX in the hospital. I do remember the TE being very irritating in the beginning. After a while you will get used to it and won't notice it as much.

Girls I read this in the Hartford Courant today-if anyone wants to go it's free and a great opportunity

Monday Oct 18th "An evening with Dr. Susan M. Love-The future of breast cancer." The free event is from 5:30-9:00 pm at the Aqua Turf 556 Mulberry St, Plantsville. Speaking program is at 7 pm. The evening will include hors d'oeuvers and questions and answers and book signing by Dr. Susan Love. Registration is required by Monday Oct 11, at 860-224-5900 ext 6321.

Sounds really good. I read her book and it was the first thing I read right before I was DX with BC. I read it after getting my mamo and  was questioning my dense breast tissue. She is an excellent Dr. and author. Let me know if anyone wants to go we can meet there.

• Claire82
    Options

I have two other events that week

One of which is the dinner in bristol and then the nite for lite laughter with lily tomlin

enough for me :)

thanks though!

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

I guess St. Francis doesn't give pillows.  I will try one I have already and see if it helps.

No for chemo - I had to give it alot of thought.  I had 3 onco opinions: Yes, No and Maybe.  For my Oncotype score - 16 - it is usually a no, but my Onc wants me to go in a study where you are randomized for chemo: no thanks, I don't do random. (that is the maybe opinion).

I have gotten the photo access, thanks.

Sweetie - I'm glad they are looking good and you feel so well already.  Yea for no drains.

I'll take a look in my caldender for the 18th,  I would like to go if I can fit it into my schedule.  Do you know the price?

• sweetie2040
    Options

Heebie-the event is free! Dr. Love is a well known author and speaker so it should be good. You have to just call to reserve your spot. yay, for no chemo. My onco type DX score was 14 and I didn't needed it and your close that. Are you taking Tamoxifen?

For the girls going to Nutchies. I called today or reservation is under BC.org or breast cancer.org or Laura. She is holding us a table. It should be pretty much full because I have 3 other girls I know going too.

• Claire82
    Options

yes I'm ready!

Will you flash for us? j/k

• sweetie2040
    Options

Claire-of course!

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Sweetie:

So glad that it went well.  Can't wait to see you all next week.  My last Herceptin treatment is tomorrow- can't believe after a year and a half I am almost done.... :)

Mimi

• Claire82
    Options

Congrats! I know we aren't supposed drink, but we have a lot to celebrate.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Mimi-thanks hon! I  am so happy for you too. 

Claire-the ticket includes a free drink, what do you think? I think we deserve at least one!

• heebie_jeebie
    Options
    Sweetie:  I called to register and am going to the Susan Love talk on Monday.  We need to coordinate something so we can meet.  (a flower in the lapel??Wink)
  • sweetie2040
    Options

Heebie-Jeebie-sounds great, glad you can come. You know the Nutchies thing is the next day right? I'm not sure which room the Susan Love talk is in and  the Aqua Turf is a big place, so right before we go I'll PM you my # and we figure where to meet. I am taking my mom too.

How are you feeling? Is the shoulder any better. I'm just a little tired and sometimes dizzy. I think its because I have to keep this surgical bra and I'm so constricted I feel like I can't breathe.

• kjbrown92
    kjbrown92 Member Posts: 51
    Options

I got my lumpectomy at St. Francis, and my doctor gave me a little heart shaped pillow for the seatbelt (it was made by a Quilt Group from around there). I'm having my PBM there Nov. 2 as well. I'll be bringing my pillow back with me. I used it about 3-4 weeks with the lumpectomy depending which car I was driving; mine was annoying me so I kept borrowing my husband's car. I'm getting nervous about the surgery.

• Claire82
    Options

I'm having my TEs put back in Nov. 2. I'll be thinking of you hunni.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Kbrown-will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Which Dr/hosptial did you choose to go with?

Claire82-I stoped at Nutchies today and I got my ticket which makes four (3 ppl I know), and there are four from BC.org, you (2), Heebie and Mimi. who are we missing? if there are no more she will give the other two seats away because they have a waiting list. Our table will be held for us though.

also-I posted my pics on the pic forum. I don' t think they look that good right now because they have been all smashed in by the surgical bra and they have marks from the bra on them. I wish they could have been a little bigger too.

• Claire82
    Options

They look awesome! Look at my pictures - then yours. I was thinking of hiring a hit man...

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

today was a crap day.  I had my meeting with my Onco.  She ran 1.5 hours late and then gave me the hard sell on chemo.  My oncotype is 16 which is listed as low risk, but she calls it "moderate" and it is those dumb "isolated tumor cells in my otherwise negative node that is the big red flag for her.  If it was her with my stats, she would do the chemo..........but meanwhile, she would be ok with me going in a study which would randomize me for chemo or just horomone therapy..............so coming home in rush hour traffic at 5:30 from a 2:30pm appt at St. Francis I was crying most of the way.  I am miserable. My physical self is doing really well, on a positive note.

On another note,  Yes sweetie, I know the events are back to back......2 nights out for me in a row, very unusual.  I've never been to aqua turf....I'll look for your message before I leave on Monday. 

• Claire82
    Options

Have you gotten a second opinion hun?

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

My second opinion is the same, but my own research, which I did more of last night shows only a 3% decrease in 15 year mortality from cancer with the chemo added to the Tamoxifin.  That is not compeling enough for me.  I am going to see if I get any insights at the Susan Love talk on Monday.  I also picked up the book last night and will see what info I can glean.

Thanks, claire...........Things do look brighter this morning as I have some distance from yesterday.

• Carole66
    Carole66 Member Posts: 26
    Options

Hello CT girls. Sorry I haven't posted much lately.

Heebie_Jeeb - good for you for doing your own research. I did the same when they recommended doing radiation after I did chemo and BMX. The percentage was so low I opted not to get it but will have my ovaries removed at the same time of my exchange to reduce further risks.

Well my red breast condition has sort of stabilized so I had my first fill last Wednesday. I started at 250. He did 50 on the right, the red breast is on the left and was bigger so at least now I am even :) My next fill is next Wednesday.

I am on the picture board under survivor44 if anyone wants to check me out. I have posted several pics.

Sorry I have to miss the gatherings but I have my daughter weekdays so I do not have any free time but I am doing the cancer walk in New Haven on the 24th. My team is called the Marching Melons. Is anyone else doing it?

Hope everyone is doing well.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Claire- thanks for the support. I saw your pics and I feel so bad for for what you went through. I have to ask does that guy even know he is doing?! I am glad you are now in good hands and I KNOW you are going to have a fab result when all is said in done.

Heebie-I am so sorry  your having have a hard time. I would say to you, do your research, get your opinions, but ultimately it is YOUR choice. I talked to a women one time who had a onco score of 14 or 15 and her Dr recommended chemo and she asked point blank, how much will that really decrease my risk, he said 1 or 2%. She just couldn't see doing it for that. Some Drs feel they want to do everything possible to decrease your risk which makes sense but you have to really look at what the percentages mean against the effects of chemo to your body. Have you been on Susan Love's website? She has a lot of great information on there. I think your answer will come to you, it has to feel right to you and something that gives you peace of mind. I'm glad your physically doing well and recovering nicely from your MX.

For the Susan Love talk I'm not sure what time I'll get there but it will before her talk. The place is beautiful and has a lot of rooms. I'm going to PM you my # now so you have it. You can call me when you get there and we can meet up.

Carole66- glad to hear your doing well. I will check out your pics. I posted my post exchange ones too. That walk sounds good, can you pm me the link or the details?

• Carole66
    Options

Hi Sweetie,

I just took a look at your pics, You look great. I am so glad they can take care of the gap at exchange time as I have one too,

Here is the link to the New Haven one. There is one in Hartford this weekend and I think in another town too.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY11NewEngland?sid=16393&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=28149

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

carole - I could not find your photos - I did a search of survivor44, but nothing came up.

I know that the chemo is my decision and I was sure I was not going to do it until the "sales talk" by the Onc.  Now after talking with friends any DH, I am sure again.  I think I will wait till after the Susan Love talk to make my official decision and call the onc. back and tell her.  She wants me to get a uterous scan before starting tamoxifin.  did anyone else do that?

• sweetie2040
    Options

Carole66-thanks for the encouragement. He wasn't able to move them that close together because of where my muscle ends. However the TE look so exaggerated that the implants automatically look better anyway. When I get fitted for a bra I will be able to push them together too.I couldn't find your pics either.

Heebie-my Dr did not mention anything about a uterus scan and I have been on Tamoxifen for 3months. I will mention to my GYN when I go for my annual. I know uterine cancer is a risk when you take Tamoxifen but I think it's rare. It seems like your Dr is very thorough, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe she just want's a baseline of  how healthy your uterus looks so she can monitor if there is any change after starting Tamoxifen. I am going to ask my Dr on my next visit since at that point it will six months on T.

• Carole66
    Options

That's very strange. I searched for myself and couldn't find any posts. lol. But my thread is called "My story with starting reconstruction" maybe you can find me that way.