Connecticut Girls

Options

Comments

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Claire82-awesome! would be happy to meet her, she's an encouragement to all of us then who are stilling going through this part.

• heebie_jeebie
    heebie_jeebie Member Posts: 92
    Options

Hi everyone - I wish I could say life is peach without drains, but I still have one.  But....it is supposed to come out Monday morning.  I don't know about you, but the first one  felt awful coming out and for a while after - he said people say it usually doesn't hurt. 

I am on day 10 now and I still feel so weak and sleepy alot.  I start out pretty strong in the morning.  I do a 1/2 hour slow walk on the treadmill and some arm stretchhing before my shower and by lunch, I am ready for a rest.  Today I tried an afternoon walk outside, and it was too painful and I had to quit after 10 minutes to come home and collapse on the couch.

On the nipple front: on thursday the ps said it is still touch-and-go on whether the skin will make it through. (and I thought it looked fine- what do I know?!?)  So fingers crossed cause I am not ready for another trip to the OR yet.

Did anyone else have back pain?  my whole back hurts so much - just sitting in this supportive computer chair isn't even comforable.  and I can't figure out why.  the tylenol doesn't do much to sooth it and I'm trying to cut back on the narcotics although that would take the pain away,I feel like it is cheating cause it isn't surgery related pain.  Also, I want to be able to drive again one day soon - driving comes in very handy as everyone knows.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    Options

When did he say that you can start the PT - that may help back pain.

Soon you will feel much better.

Do you think you can come to the dinner?

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

No mention of PT for me.  In fact when I asked about any restrictions, he said I could do anything but swim or lift weigths with my pecs - and I know that there are other things I shouldn't be doing - sports and stuff.  when he saw that I could lift my arm above my shoulder, he was surprised and said he sents people to PT if they can't raise their arms even with their shoulder after 4 weeks.

did everyone else have PT?

I would love to commit to the dinner, but I need to wait to see if I have to go back into surgery for the nipple removal and I may not know for a few weeks. 

• sweetie2040
    Options

Heebie-jeebie-I have to say your doing way more than I did after my BMX. Maybe it is because you had one side done, but it took me weeks to feel like I could get up and walk. All I did was sleep. My back was killing me! It was because I could only sleep on my back and I would lay there all day and after a while I was so locked up. I think after about six weeks I went to PT so he could try to loosen up that area, but not too much in the front. I didn't want him touching the chest area at all for a long,long time. I had problems with my neck and back pain before my MX so I had been seeing a PT regularly anyway. I think your actually doing really good. it's important to give yourself time to heal and to not try to overdue it. Your body still needs rest and a lot of muscles were cut and manipulated. Take your time, your'll get there. Try not to worry about the nipple. I'm sure it's going to be fine.

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Drain free at last. He took out the remaining one this morning and said he is very happy with how the nipple looks.  I still may lose some of it, but it is looking better Laughing 

I am being careful not to overdo it.  I had to take a nap today after the dr. appt - A friend drove me there so I took her out to lunch in West Hartford Center and we walked around a little - I called that my walking for the day.

I was stiffer in the arm today then since the surgery.  The Dr. said to expect good and bad days and he was not concerned.

• Claire82
    Options

I saw a PT who specialized in lymphodema and TE care. I saw her 2 weeks after my mx until I had my exchange. She kept everything loose and it was especially nice as the fills increased. I don't have lymphodema but I did have some issues with my cords clogging. My PT was mny  lifeline :)

• Claire82
    Options

when is nuchies opened? i called yesterday and today - should i be calling somewhere else to reserve my spot?

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Claire:

I just called Nuchies and paid, I think they are closed on Mondays. 

Heebie:  Your back will jurt because 1- you are sleeping in funny positions, 2- they stretch a lot of thoracic nerves when they are doing the mastectomy ( you didn't have a lumpectomy, right?) and it will take months for those things to get back to feeling mostly normal.  I was sore also along my ribs in the front and back- thought it was cancer....oncologist reassured me I was nuts :)  I saw the same therapist as Claire82- Kristin Carroll at the ERN in Glastonbury.  I also work with her....kind of helpful....really worth getting a prescription.  Lots of the PS's don't have any idea that we need therapy, but Dr. DeLucia is trained!  There just aren't that many therapists that do it.  If you can get to Glastonbury the number is 860-657-4723.

See you all in a few weeks!

Mimi

• Claire82
    Options

OK I just called and he said call before 4. I'll try tomorrow.

I always felt my doctors thought I was nuts also lol

My surgery to replace my implant and put the TE back in is Nov. 2. Now that I have a date, i"m getting nervous. I keep thinking - awww i can hide this hideous thing with a good bra and prothesis, but then I think of the summer again. I want to wear a bathing suit and enjoy myself at the beach!

So I'm definately doing it! I decided to go with the female PS at Sloan. A lot of her research is on women's self- esteem and breast cancer. She has also been doing gummies for 10 years.

Hopefully the fills won't take as long. It really needs to stretch the lower pole. The upper pole is overstretched lol

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

As things are looking good I decided I can commit - I just paid for the dinner on the 19th.  So excited to see you all then. 

Here is a problem I'm having as a uni - I am holding my bad side shouldar higher uncounsiously - another reason for my back to hurt.  I try to remember to lower it, but it creeps back up, especially when the pain acts up.

Almost a full day without narcotics yesterday, but after I could not sleep for a few hours in the middle of the night I took a couple - the pain wasn't that bad, but I just could not get comfortable.  So still no driving.

• sweetie2040
    Options

heebie_jeebie-glad to hear you can come. I still have to call to confirm my reservation but I was waiting until after my exchange to make sure I feel alright too. I'm not a uni but I can imagine how your body would want to compensate for the side that is painful. It does take awhile for the swelling and soreness to go down. Honestly I think you are doing remarkably well. I was on pain meds for at least a few weeks and a pill to sleep at night for over a month. I couldn't move at all at night and had to lay flat on my back for weeks straight, hence the intense back pain. I think with pain meds it is best to wean slowly. If your not sure about the sleeping pill just take half and see how you do. How's the nipple looking?

• sweetie2040
    Options

heebie_jeebie-glad to hear you can come. I still have to call to confirm my reservation but I was waiting until after my exchange to make sure I feel alright too. I'm not a uni but I can imagine how your body would want to compensate for the side that is painful. It does take awhile for the swelling and soreness to go down. Honestly I think you are doing remarkably well. I was on pain meds for at least a few weeks and a pill to sleep at night for over a month. I couldn't move at all at night and had to lay flat on my back for weeks straight, hence the intense back pain. I think with pain meds it is best to wean slowly. If your not sure about the sleeping pill just take half and see how you do. How's the nipple looking?

• Claire82
    Options

I called and secured two spots this morning so at that time it was 6 - now with heebie added it's 7.    3 more to go :)

BTW my name is Sally

It probably would be good to know the names of the rest who are going - otherwise I'll be looking for heebie, sweetie and mimi

• mimi791
    Options

Hey Sally:

I'm Melissa :), but I will answer to MImi, and I have short grey curly hair, which is not the straight red hair I had before chemo!

Mimi

• sweetie2040
    Options

Mimi and Claire (Melissa and Sally) I reserved our table under BC.org. when I call back I will make sure of the name.  I know three other girls going from my town so if there are no others from here I will put them with us, otherwise we will need to add a second table if we have more.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Mimi and Claire (Melissa and Sally) I reserved our table on BC.org. when I call back I will make sure of the name.  I know three other girls going from my town so if there are no others from here I will put them with us, otherwise we will need to add a second table if we have more.

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

I'm Alisa - but I think we are going to need a cheet sheet with us to remember which alias = which name.Wink

When I called and they asked me which reservation I told them BC.org, and they put me there.

• Claire82
    Options

me too!

• mimi791
    Options

Me too!

• Claire82
    Options

Sweetie,

Is your exchange tomorrow? I saw the date on one of the threads!

Wishing you luck

• sweetie2040
    Options

Hey ladies, I went for my exchange today and was all set to go. They had me prepped and I talked to the Dr. About an hour later the nurse told me the surgery center was having problems with the equipment and they could not do any surgeries until it was fixed. It was looking like that wouldn't happen for several hours at least so the Dr had me reschedule for next week. So I'm a little sad today, no new boobies yet.

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

OMG sweetie - that is awful - to be all ready and have to go home.   

When next week are you going? 

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    Options

oh sweetie- Im so sorry to hear of the delay.  It so hard when you get yourself finally psyched up and it gets put on hold.  Hugs.

• Claire82
    Options

Sweetie - My heart dropped when I read about your situation! Unbelievable! Now to have to go through this for another week.My thoughts are with you.

• sweetie2040
    Options

thanks for the support girls. It was really a let down getting all psyched up and then having to go home. I got over it though and hopefully this week passes quickly. I am rescheduled for Friday. I'll keep you posted.

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Sweetie - if you get this message before you go - best of luck with your exchange, second try.

• Claire82
    Options

GL Sweetie. I will be thinking about you.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Heebie and Claire-thanks for the well wishes. Everything went fine and I'm doing well. I ended up with 450 round HP's. He took in sizers and said that is what looked best. I can't really look all the way because he told me to keep the surgical bra on. As soon as I get it off I'll post pics. I think I will be able to go the Nutchies dinner for sure and I'll call Monday to confirm and make sure our table is all set. We'll have to figure out a way to all meet.

Heebie-How are you feeling?        

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Sweetie - good to hear it went well.  So no gummies for you.  Did you make the decision in advance or did he choose based on the shape at the surgery?

I'm feeling pretty good.  I am at 3 weeks since mx and still get tired alot and feel like a frisbee is wedged in my chest, but otherwise I am doing fine.  My front close sport bra was was putting a dent in my side, so I dashed over to Kohls yesterday and found a comfy cotton sports bra.  I need an extra-large (40-42 equivilant) to be comfy even though I usually wear a 34. 

He did not want to fill yet to allow more time for healing so I get 100 cc in 2 weeks.  Did you get that much per fill.  It sounds like alot. (I'm starting with 150 cc that went in at the mx)