Connecticut Girls

Options

Comments

• April-2010
    April-2010 Member Posts: 3
    Options

That's a good idea Claire.  I already have an appointment scheduled in October and it'll be interesting to see who I'll get to see... although now that you say that, I may actually call and see if they can put me with Dr. DeFusco even if they have to move the appointment around a little.  I would feel so much better seeing her.  Thanks!

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Claire-I'm seeing the PS today to go over the implants. My surgery should in Oct but I want to make sure I'm ready with the size,etc. I'll keep you posted. Not sure on the type of implants yet.

April and Heebie-Jeebie-I don't personally have Defusco but a close friend of mine does and she loves her. I hear really good things about her but I know she is super busy. I agree with Claire you can request the Dr instead of the PA, at least if you have pressing questions and issues. Maybe later in the follow up the PA will be fine. I see a trend to this with many Dr's doing this now. They just don't seem to have the time to spend with patients, especially surgeons. I know their schedule has got to be packed.

• kjbrown92
    kjbrown92 Member Posts: 51
    Options

I got an appt with Dr. Brady for the beginning of October. I need to get all my records to bring with me. How do I ask my original breast surgeon for the records? I feel like I'm cheating on her by getting a second opinion!

End of next week I have my regular physical and I have to get a mammogram of my left breast, since they didn't do it when they were looking at the lump in my right in June, even though my regular doctor asked them to do both. Though I'm wondering if they're going to do a baseline MRI instead? Every time I get more tests, I worry more. And I started the Tamoxifen last night.

• sweetie2040
    Options

KJbrown-you don't have to ask your regular Dr, just call the office and say you need copies of your records. You will likely have sign for them so you will be picking them up. They usually transfer you to the records department and you tell them what you need, when they are ready you just go pick them up at the front desk.

Try not to worry too much about the tests. Try to think of it this way, they are used to give you a clearer picture of your overall DX. It could mean ruling out things so that can be very positive. Take a deep breath, it all works out. Good luck with the T.

• heebie_jeebie
    heebie_jeebie Member Posts: 92
    Options

Thanks everyone for the oncologist info. It's been very helpful. 

I need to make a decision and make an appt. if I want do see defusco - I think I should do it and at least give myself another option.

• Emme
    Emme Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi Ladies..

I have been trying to catch up on the posts..my head is spinning..it's nice to see everyone comparing notes on their healthcare providers...it certainly is helpful when your trying to decide on a provider.  

Welcome to all of you ladies that are new...I know I'm behind :)

I ran a fever the other night and so Dr. DeLucia ordered me another week of anitbiotics.  I am still praying that it holds the infection off...

Are there any plans for a get together soon?  I would love to meet everyone.  I was on vacation last time.

and finally I was wondering if any of you attend any support groups?  Cocoapuff told me about the one that meets in Enfield...  Are they helpful?  Lately I have been feeling depressed and anxious...  The easiest way to explain it is...I feel like I witnessed a horrible accident and do what I had to in the moment of the emergency...calmly and efficiently...and then afterwards when you sit back..you think to yourself  "what the hell just happened?"  That is how I feel about my cancer treatments this whole year...suddenly I am looking back and trying to process what happened to me and it is overwhelming.  I feel like when I was really sick I just put one foot infront of the other for so long...and now my mind is trying to process what happened.  I have started seeing a new therapist and I hope she can help me thru this...It is very hard.

My parents have asked me to move in with them for a while.  I have 7 more months of treatment with the herceptin.  Quite frankly I need some help at this point.  I guess I thought that my husband would be there for me.  It is heartbreaking that he is unable to be the person I want him to be for me...but the truth came out he has been having this affair for over a year.  Im finding it hard to deal with that and I have put it on the back burner for n ow.  I am living in the safe net home for another few months and probably will go to my folks for a while.  I am focused on getting better now, If  I  focus on my husband too much it sucks the energy out of me.  I need that energy to get better...(sometimes that is easier said than done).

I pray for all of you...and I am so thankful to be a part of this group.

Em 

• kjbrown92
    Options

Oh, Emme, my heart goes out to you. So much for you to deal with. Sending hugs across the state to you.

Kathy

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Ladies:

New to this site, but suspect I know some of you from Chess.  Still plugging along at physical therapy trying to fix the right side so that we can get an expander back in following the infection.  Fighting the insurance company all they way.... On a brighter note, only 2 Herceptin treatments left.  I have no idea what I am going to do with myself once I don't have to go to the oncologist every 3 weeks. To Emme:  Hang in there girl...You are the most important thing right now...nothing else matters!

Mimi

• poucharoo
    poucharoo Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am from Ct. living in North Carolina- I launched a surgical drain holder called poucharoo-- I am trying to have it available in the hospitals so women have a poucharoo immediately post-op------- the poucharoo haolds 4 surgical drains------ my problem is hospitals are slow in getting in new products-------- any suggestions--I want to get the word out--- I am a nurse and have wanted to make a contribution to this cause---------- I tried Stamford hospital- Greenwich hospital- the hospitals are satisfied sending a woman home with 4 drains and safety pins to secure the drains that's unsatisfactory-- thanks patti @poucharoo.com

• kjbrown92
    Options

There's a store in CT that sells specialty items for mastectomy etc. The plastic surgeon is the one who told me about it, so maybe you should be marketing to the mastectomy stores, or to the actual surgeons. I had said I couldn't wear a bra (causes back spasms) and the PA told me that I could get a special tank top at the mastectomy store that held the drains and such. So that might be an option.

• poucharoo
    poucharoo Member Posts: 2
    Options

thanks so much -I will look for this store

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    Options

It's called Essentials for the Special Woman. It's in Vernon. Great place if you haven't been there.

Mimi - I think I've seen you on the discussion board at CHESS. You have Kristen as your PT, don't you. She was the best support I got through all of this. I miss her so much.

Emme - You make tears come to my eyes. Just know you aren't alone. Dang! We need to meet. Someone from the Hartford area - pick a place, date and time. I prefer weekends or weeknights as I work. I only know restaurants Middletown and south.

Emme - I kept thinking I was strong too and didn't need anyone. I crashed after my exchange when I learned I had to totally re-do it. We only have so much strength until we realize we have to reach out. I understand your analogy to a horrible accident. The thing about cancer is that the accident keeps happening...

• sweetie2040
    Options

Emme- oh Emme my heart goes out to you. I know it's such a hard time. I agree that you should get into a support group. I am not in one, BC.org has been my support group, but I think you need to meet with people in person and talk through some of this issues. Have you called the Helen Harry Gray cancer center? They may be able to direct you to one. I think it might be good if you move in with your mom. Is is always good to be around family who loves you at these tough times. I wish you well,thoughts and prayers always.

I'm not sure where to meet, maybe near Westfarms mall at a restaurant over there like Chilli's or Ruby Tuesday's. I don't know what works for all of you ladies? I know a couple of use are coming up for surgeries soon.

Mimi-welcome

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

emme - so sorry that you are going thru so much at one time.  my best wishes go out to you.  I know when I called the Hartford hospital cancer line really nice people answered the phone and were able to get me any info I needed (and I'm not even a patient there).

Also there is "your shoes" - where you call 800-221-2141 and speak to a BC survivor who shares your same issues.  I have not done it, but maybe it would be helpful for you. this is their website:  http://www.networkofstrength.org/

• sweetie2040
    Options

Hey ladies, I know a few of you are considering gummies. I found this thread about them where the women who have them rated them. I thought you'd find it helpful.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/731574

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Sweetie - the link dosn't work - is there another way to get there?

• Emme
    Emme Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi- Just chiming in..Im going to a support group this week, cocoapuff, belongs to it in Enfield.  The meeting was postponed from last week until this week.  I am looking forward to it.  Thank you everone for your support.  I am looking forward to meeting all of you in person...My schedule is flexable so pick the time and place and I will show up.

Claire- A special hug to you...thank you so much.

Mimi Is that your horse?  I have a friend in Ellington who I met thru another friend, that is in recon right now...she has horses too. 

So far so good with the meds....no more fevers!  Im keeping everything crossed, well except for my eyes...and hoping for the best.

• Claire82
    Options

heebie - there is a space at the end of the link for some reason

copy and paste it - it works then

• Claire82
    Options

Sweetie - i love that thread - i bumped it to the top in hopes that some 2010 gummy wearers comment.

• Claire82
    Options
  • Claire82
    Options

ok i give up - copy and paste lol

• sweetie2040
    Options

Claire82-I'm sorry I can't figure out how to get the links to work,first they work,then they don't. There is one more thread you should see it's called "all about gummies" that one is more current and has a lot of information on it.

• Carole66
    Carole66 Member Posts: 26
    Options

I am back from a few days away in Maryland. I so needed this vacation that almost didn't happen. I went to see my PS Wednesday to what I thought was my first fill. I was told I had fluid build up (seroma) in my left breast. Which makes sense since it has been getting bigger lately. He wanted to aspirate it and then put a drain back in and I told him , hell no. I am leaving tomorrow morning. So they scheduled me to do an ultrasound guided aspiration right away and removed about 50cc of fluid and they were sending it out for testing. I am still waiting for results. I am still quite bigger on the left side but the pain has subsided to a point where I do not need pain meds anymore. But I am not sure what will be happening next. I just want to get this over it.

Emme. So sorry to hear about what you are going through. Things will get better for you I hope.

• mimi791
    Options

Hi all:

To Claire:  Yes, Kristin is my therapist at ERN in Glastonbury, she is the best ever.  I am also lucky that she is a coworker, so I have lots of references when I need them.

To Emme:  Yes, that's my horse, or therapist depending on how you look at him.  Not sure how I managed to ride through 16 rounds of chemo, but I did.

To all:  New Britain hospital is hosting a survivor series if you are mostly done with treatment.  You can be on Tamoxifen or Herceptin.  It starts tomorrow night and there are 6 sessions between now and November 23.  Tomorrow is "you're a survivo, now what"  It's free and goes from 5:30-7:30 and dinner is included.  I am going because I think I need to.  If anyone else is interested they can contact Donna Boehm at 860-224-5900 x 6307.

Hope you're all hanging in there.

Mimi

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Ok everybody - here I go...............my last day with my 2 original girls - even if one has a few bits missing it's still mine.  I surprisingly feel pretty cheery - I thought I would be a weep-fest.  Must be cause I am keeping so busy - just finished the vacuuming and on to cleaning out the fridge.  If I have time I'm going to bake some cupcakes for my family and visitors and maybe make gift tags for the homemade soap I made for the people who have offered to cook meals for me and my family..........gosh.. I sound like a crazy person!!?!

Anyway, first thing friday is my boob amputation and I get my expanders...ie water balloon inserts.  The question of the momement...............will I wake up with nipples and if so, will they survive?

Sweetie............did you get an exchange date yet?? is it going to be gummies??

emme - hope you are still doing well.

• mimi791
    Options

Heebie:

Best of luck tomorrow- it's an experience that defies description, but I was just so happy to get the cancer out that my blood pressure dropped back to normal as soon as I woke up.  If you call the partnership for breast care, they will send someone to see you and bring you a great bag filled with dressing changes, pillows to stuff under your seatbelt, physical therapy references and a nifty top to hide your drains in.  If you can, ask for a second surgical bra...you have to wear it for a while and I only got one, so I would get in the shower...and my poor husband would hand wash it and run and put it in the dryer.  All my prayers go with you tomorrow.

Mimi

• heebie_jeebie
    Options

Thank you mimi - speak to everyone after the deed is done. 

My chores are all done except for icing a big batch of red velvet cupcakes. 

Time to relax a little and say goodby to lefty. Undecided

• Claire82
    Options

heebie, my thoughts are with you

please check in as soon as you can

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    Options

Claire82- Went to Haddam today and had lunch at the Blue Oar.  Needless to say I was thinking of you folks. 

Mimi- horses here also, although I can't ride right now, had back surgery.

What town is the mall in????  Any chance of meeting somewhere in Harford or New Haven so it's easy to get to for everyone?  Haddam, for instance, was a 2 hour drive for me "you can't get there from here"   My vote would be for somewhere in the state off 95 or 84.