Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2010
    Options

Redninrah - I agree you need water water water!!!! chemo has irritated your bladder could lead to infection call the DOC!

• Poppalicious
    Poppalicious Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013
    Options

Redninrah - I "third" the advice already given, hope you feel better soon!

leelee32 - I got silicone (one breast) as my surgeon strongly recommended it (i.e. "most natural in terms of feel and shape" and the new generation is very safe and sturdy - never thought I'd ever use this word for my breast!)  I was attracted to saline at first as the body can naturally absorb the liquid and it's easier to tell straight away if there is a rupture, whereas with silcone, the breast tends to hold its shape and a MRI is needed to confirm bursts.  Anyway I went with my dr's recommendation and have no complaints yet - it does feel a bit heavier in weight when I don't wear a bra but other than that, it is not much different to my natural one.  I don't think there is necessarily one better type over the other but rather it is more of a personal choice (some are very happy with saline too.)  Also if you are not happy with the exisiting one, you can always get it removed or get another type put in later (my surgeon made it sound like a relatively easy proceedure, I guess it is when compared to the actual masectomy and reconstruction!)

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Redninrah -ditto what tiffany and jessamine said - water, water, water and call your onc.   One thing I did while in chemo is I had some of those plastic 'ketchup' squirt bottles you can get at wal-mart in the kitchen section. I kept two of those bottles filled with water on the back of toilet at all times.   Whenever I went to the bathroom (1 or 2), I would 'rinse off' by squirting the water on me.  It soothed the irritated skin and removed any residue as the chemo chemicals worked their way out of my body. Hope you are feeling better SOON!
  • redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hey Sisters!

I called the onc yesterday and he faxed a RX for ani biotic- picked it up yesterday and started on it straight away. It is much better today!!! HOORAY! and yes I will drink more water! LOL

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2010
    Options

poppalicious...

Just curious..I think you said you had just one implant done?

I am scheduled to go back and see my PS about recon, I had a left side mastectomy done in feb and finished rads.

I am so curious how the outcome is when doing an implant on one side? did you have a mastectomy? did they need to do anything to the other breast to get the right symetry?

So many questions sorry

Mo :)

• PGK
    PGK Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi there,

This is my first post.  I am 38 and was diagnosed this July.  Had a bilateral mastectomy in September and am starting systemic treatment next week.  No kids, but my boyfriend has a 7 year old daughter.  I'm going in for my MUGA today and, unfortunately, am needlephobic.  I'm learning that I'll have to get over that pretty quickly because there are a lot of IVs in my future.  My oncologist is recommending 4.5 months of TCH and 7.5 months of herceptin alone to follow.  I'm trying to plan ahead and get a nice looking wig or two.  Any wig suggestions? 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I am considering to order a hat from http://hatswithhair.com/. but would be glad to know other options too.
  • 4Sophia
    4Sophia Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hello ladies,

It has been some time since I have been on the thread, but thought I would stop by.  I was 35 when diagnosed. I have two sons, 18 and 13.  My 18 y/o just started his freshman year in college.  I have also relocated and had to radiation right when I got to my new home for a year.  I am finishing my doctoral degree all the while.  I just completed radiation last week and am now giving myself until Monday to start Tamoxifen.  It feels different not having those daily and weekly appointments to contend with.  I am glad to say I have hair covering my entire head and that I have eyebrows now.  It is the little things that seem to count.  It is daunting how many of us are young with families that have to cope with this diagnosis.  I think for me, it was giving up my mobility and my ability to balance numerous things at the same time.  My boys have been phenomenal and my great Dad went to every single chemo appointment with me. 

TwinMom - we are in close proximity to one another.  I am glad you are doing well in spite of the lack of support from your husband.

• mommichelle
    mommichelle Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2013
    Options

Grammarkitty,

Did you think about getting a port?  I hate needles too and althought it s another minor surgery, with a year of infusions (I am Her2 + too) and one arm that is not accessable due to mastecomy and lymph node dissection, it is sweet.  My port has become my best friend.  They take blood draws from it the day before and the day of is a breeze.  Something to think about. 

I was dead set on not leaving the house without wigs.  Hate them!  I usually wear it just to my son's school (I think he is still a little uneasy - he's 5).  Otherwise I have totally become a scarf girl.  Didn't even have any because I was determined to do a wig.

Good luck with everything.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Michelle

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    Options

Tiffany - hello to another buckeye gal!  I'm always glad to meet other ladies in my area...well, not happy about the way we meet, but just glad I'm not alone in NE Ohio! Congrats on finishing rads! If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your treatment?  My sweet dad came to every chemo with me too.

Redinrah - so glad you're feeling better!  UTI-like pain is the worst!

For the questions about wigs and other head coverings - I hated my wig.  I hate even more that I spent $400 on it and wore it a handful of times.  I was a scarf girl for sure and I got a lot of mine from headcovers.com.  They have a huge selection and they're reasonably priced.

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2010
    Options

yes, I feel exactly the same about my wig! I wasted all that money, didn't like it, never wore it, and it was too hot/uncomfortable to stand anyway- maybe if I could have gotten a real hair one it would have been different, but $1000-1500! However! I did buy some real hair bangs online which I liked very much. You just tuck them into your hat or scarf and it really is great! I only used them for special occasions though, honestly- with the hot flashes, it was just unbearable. :(

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=162515753760448&index=1 

• Poppalicious
    Poppalicious Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi ladym13,

Feel free to ask away as that is what we are here for! Smile

I had a masectomy on the same side as yours and reconstruction at the same time.  They used my left back flap and a silicone implant to make the new breast.  I was a little bit worried about how the scarring would look afterwards (looked at lots of 'after' pictures before my surgery to help come to terms with my new appearance) but was not too worried about symmetry as I was a bit uneven to start with - that's what happens when you have bigger boobs! haha (I'm a 36DD)  My PS said he would do his best to match my new breast to the other (so no need to do anything surgical to the natural one.)

The recovery part was not easy but it's now a distant memory.  In the end My PS did a beautiful job - I have perfect symmetry between my breasts (hooray - no longer lopsided!) and he also created a perfectly round symerical breast scar which is 'almost pretty'.  Also my new cleavage looks very natural (it makes me smile when I catch someone looking there now) and I could wear a bikini without anyone being able to tell I've had something done.  All in all, I am very happy with the outcome and I can't wait for my fipple in Dec! 

The only thing is the new breast will stay roughly the same size if I lose weight (the natural one would get smaller) and I would be unable to breast feed from the new one.  In the whole scheme of things, these are a small price to pay to be where I am today given the situation.

Hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask more/PM me.  You should also talk to you PS as well about what he intends to do and his expected results, I understand not everyone goes through the same reconstruction proceedure so you might end up with a different type of scar to mine etc.

All the very best!

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010
    Options

My local paper did a breast cancer special, the entire issue is printed on pink paper, but it is soooo depressing!  I don't know if their intention was to drum up money or what, but as a breast cancer survivor it pisses me off!! 

Here's one line about The Caring Place... "It is a place where patients go to get their minds off a scourge that has doctors slashing, poisoning, and burning their malignancies- a process less disfiguring and painful than in the bad old days of 20 years ago, but one that still leaves patients so wounded they wonder whether the hoped-for cure is worse than the disease." 

Then there's an article about a woman planning her death and talking about her husband's next wife!  Her little son, 7 years old, shows some cards she's made and says "I can read these after you die." 

WTF?! 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wow. That article is disgusting!! Don't they have common sense that positive attitute is crucial for fighting cancer?!

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Options

OMG - That article is crazy!!! Is the whole issue like that? How sad....

I have 2 wigs that I didn't wear once! I was a total scarf girl, they are much more comfortable and convenient. I got most of mine from www.4women.com. They have tons of designs and they are already tied so you just have to slip them on your head. They are a little expensive but well worth it in my opinion - especially if you're not going to spend the money on a wig. I even submitted the bill to my insurance (like Aflac) and they reimbursed me! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi,

My wife Olga, originally diagnosed at 31, is now 33. We have two boys - 8 and 5 y.o. now.

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

I really don't understand what they were thinking!!  No wonder people have a skewed perception of women living as cancer survivors... we are strong, healthy, vibrant women who get through incredible challenges with strength, compassion, and friendship.  Sure it's tough and sometimes we feel like crap but look at how many beautiful women are on here every day supporting each other through thick and thin!!  They should get on here and chat with those of us who are positive!! 

I'm going to write a letter... a happy, kind letter on behalf of all the "other" cancer survivors!!!  Smile  

• Lady_Madonna
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi leprechaun & Olga, Cute pic!!  Isn't it fun having boys?  I miss it when mine were that little.  They're teens now.  Sometimes I wish I could go back and just squeeze them.... 

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady M - we're happy to have you speak on our behalf, Go for it!

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010
    Options

Lady M,

Yeah, the older one has a "hedgehog" nature. If you want to hug him and squeeze, he'll allow that for just a moment, but then will retreat. The little one has a "kitten" personality - he's all for hugs and kisses. :)

Yan.

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2010
    Options

Lady M - what a positive, inspirational article...NOT!  That's just unbelievable.  Keep us posted about your letter and the response they give, if any.

Leprechaun - your wife is adorable!  Is she on here too?

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2013
    Options

Twinmom77: no, Olga is not coming here... Thanks!

• Kate0574
    Kate0574 Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello ladies.... you all rock, I am over three years out and I still visit weekly.  I just thought I would let you ladies know about a free subscription to a magazine "CURE" CANCER UPDATE, RESEARCH AND EDUCATION....... I got a new one today and thought I would share with you guys.... just go to www.curetoday.com. (click on free subscription) I get an issue about every three months, so four a year and it is full of information and what not... have a great weekend ladies and gentleman!!!! 

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited October 2010
    Options

Read on the MSN homepage 'breast cancer myths' ... felt like I was reading propaganda.  Breast Cancer is not genetic, simply NOT true. 

Had the chance to meet Dr. Paul Goodfellow who is a genetic researcher who is convinced that it IS genetic and he's dedicated the second half of his life to find the links.  Thank God for men and women like him.

Be encouraged, ladies.  Someone is fighting for us:

http://outlook.wustl.edu/summer2007/cancer.htm

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

Yan, it's really great that you're on here with all these ladies...lol!  I've often been impressed and a little curious about the men on here.  Are there many of you?  Do you guys have a chat room?  

How is Olga doing?  I've seen a few of your other posts... I have a wonderful friend locally with stage IV triple negative as well as a cousin with the same diagnosis.  It's a tricky bugger.  How are you guys managing with her care and the kids?  Is she stable now? 

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi,

I turned 38 last month....

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010
    Options

Lady M,

I'm not usually going to other parts of the board than Stage IV. There're at least 4 husbands there, while wife of only one of us is a member here too.

Olga is doing not too bad now, her pain has lessened, the liver enzimes went down. The chemo is working. She's stable now. It's tough to manage with all her care and the kids, but I can work from home pretty much so that solves many problems.

• hicksv3
    hicksv3 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Mommytwo2,

You and I have the same diagnosis.  I was diagnosed at the age of 34.  But unfortunately, mine came back and it is in my spine and bones now.  I am going to try the Coley's toxin, wish me luck, I need it.

I had the DIEP flap in 2008, and it was the best thing I have done since I got cancer.  I actually have beautiful breasts that are my own skin.  The whole procedure was done at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, by an excellent surgeon named William Casey.  If anyone wants info about that just ask.   

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hello everyone.  My name is Allison.  I am 34 years old and was just diagnosed in April.  I had a BMX with immed recon. (TE's)  I developed an infection in July and had the left TE removed August 9th.  I have a fourteen year old son and I am on my second marriage for three and half years now.  My husband has no kids of his own and is an only child, so this BC thing kind of put a damper or our child plans.  I feel kind of bad that he may never be able to be a father and I know he would be a good dad.  I was working full time as a medical assistant and going to nursing school full time before the dx,  but for now I am just staying home until I am done with chemo and surgeries.  Needless to say, this BC thing has put my life on hold for a while.  Sorry for the rambling, but just trying to introduce myself.  I look forward to talking to ladies my age and seeing how you all deal with the day to day stress of this crappy disease.  Take Care.  Allison

• karbarn
    karbarn Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi, everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Karen. I am 33 and was diagnosed with IDC on 09/27/2010. One margin was not clear following lumpectomy. Partial mastectomy and SNB scheduled for 10/05. Glad to have found this site and am grateful for the support.