Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• lg10
    lg10 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2018
    Options

hi princessmeg. I am doing ok. I have 4 more taxol treatments left and I cannot wait to be done with chemo. It has been manageable, but I don’t think I even know what normal feels like anymore. The good news is that my hair has started to grow back!! I will start radiation in August. How was that for you? And how are you in general

Out and about— the hair loss is hard, but you do get used to it. You find ways to make it work. I have about 5 wigs I switch between. I try to see it as a “fun” way to try out new styles and colors. And it does come back! But I’m thinking about you as you start this journey.

• Ebronson19
    Ebronson19 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2018
    Options

Out-and-about, thank you for sharing. I suppose the week of not worrying was a small silver lining, but I think he was also so embarrassed that he wouldn't call me to discuss the results. Apparently once he had the pathology report he simply sent it back to my PCP, and they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone, so it took another 5 days to get an appointment just so I could find out my DX. It was a rollercoaster for sure.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your trouble with (what should be happy) milestones. I lost my Dad 1.5 yrs before our wedding and it was still hard not having him there.

• Lavenderlee
    Lavenderlee Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2018
    Options

I really appreciate the positive responses, I’m kind of surprised at how many of us are in our 30s and younger going through this. I’m glad to have a place to come and read about similar experiences. Out and About I totally agree about the morbid jokes - it’s a coping mechanism I have found myself using as well.

I met my plastic surgeon on Friday and he is ready to proceed with a nipple-sparing BMX and straight to a silicone implant. I’m glad to only have the one surgery, but have heard it’s a harder recovery. I’m waiting patiently for a date...maybe not so patiently, but waiting nonetheless.

• out_and_about
    out_and_about Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Options

On a positive note, I am so grateful about how amazing my friends have been through this. They know I am dealing with house and chemo at the same time, and that I have basically a week to get the house liveable so I can be living there instead of with my in-laws when I go through round 2. I have already had 11 different people come to help me with painting and cleaning the house, and I have several more offers for help tomorrow. Not to mention a group of girls coming to support me when I get my head shaved (many of them were also there to help me pick out a wig). I am not usually one to ask for help, but it has really made a difference for me to take some of the stress off of myself, and some of the burden off my husband. My own family lives a few hours away, but my sister is coming next week to help me through the worst of the chemo side effects.

• Each_day_2018
    Each_day_2018 Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hey ladies!

I was diagnosed last month at 31. I have 3 kids age 4,7,8 and work full time. Planning to have mastectomy next month but waiting for results from MRI and additional genetics to decide if a bilateral mastectomy would be recommended.

• RDizon124
    RDizon124 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi all! My name is Rhoda, and was recently diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma. I've been struggling with anxiety and depression the last two years so I have a lot on my plate. I don't have kids, but I do have a supportive boyfriend who has been a rock so far. I also have a career as an art teacher and am disappointed I will not be there for some of the school year. I am anxiously waiting for my doctor to refer me to a breast surgeon to let me know what stage I'm in, and what type of procedure I'll need.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi, I'm 38 with husband and 2 kids 7 + 4 years. .. currently dealing with chemo and the kids during school vacation. But this second week after chemo is OK and we even took the kids to the ZOO for a whole day. My WBC was very good yesterday, so I thought let the kids have a bit of summer. Our seaside vacation must have been cancelled, the kids haven't been by the sea yet. I hope we will be able to take them next year.

At least my lump was immediately taken seriously and I was able to get appointments very quickly. I got the cancer dx exactly one week after I found the lump (biopsy was 2 days after I found it).

Currently I'm deciding to have a BMX after chemo. I hope to cut back at least some rads/boosts with this. I am also very anxious about recurence and I don't like the post-lumpectomy path results - close margins even after the second one. It constantly nags at me - I am sure there is something left (I can't be sure, but you know what I mean...). So the way I see it, I am in neo-adjuvant tx

• jinx27
    jinx27 Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hello!!!

Im 29, will be turning 30 this Saturday. I believe im now 3 1/2 years out of treatment. If any of you need someone to chat with im here! I think there are a few others as well. Hug

• Livlife
    Livlife Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JaBoo, we are close in age I’m 37 and diagnosed 2 months ago. Have 2 Kids 9 and 7, but I am just starting chemo on August 1, I had re excision too 2 weeks ago as my margin the first time was close. Good thing now it’s clear. I’m glad the chemo has not been so bad as you’re able to do still do things with Kids. I am worried about that part.

Jinx27 you are so nice to offer that kind of support, and I’m glad you’re NEd now for 3.5 years, that’s super awesome!
  • jaboo
    edited July 2018
    Options

LivM, what kind of chemo are you having? Yes, my 1st chemo was ok, I guess, nausea was cleared with pills and nothing else occured, just tired a few days. I hope your chemo will be managable too.

With kids, it's really different... I really don't have any space in my chemo-brain left to think about me... Mostly I just try to keep the kids occupied sonewhat. two nights now there was no sleep for me due to toothache of one of them, hopefully it got cleared today at the dentist's. there's always something 🙂

• Livlife
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JaBoo - I’ll be having TCH x6 every 3 weeks. I hope you continue to have a manageable treatment, do you think your toothache is related to the SE of your treatment? How many session are you having?
  • jaboo
    edited July 2018
    Options

LivM, not my tootache - one of my kids got it, the pooor thing. But DH took him to the dentist and it looks good, the ache is gone. Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue....

I'm having AC every 2 weeks and then 12x Taxol with Herceptin weekly.

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018
    Options

LivM - I’m actually part of the June Chemo Group - while our diagnosis is slightly different we are both HER2 positive and I am also getting TCHPx6 - I just had my second round this past Monday - just wanted to let u know it’s been doable - I’ve had minimal side effects so far so I am thankful - I just had my port placed yesterday - procedure was easy - it just feels like it doesn’t belong but what can ya do - just gotta go with the flow to get through this!

• Livlife
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Bheg79 - that’s really good news, with the kids after school activities I was worried that they might not be able to do all the sport they want. I have a regular after school sitter but she can’t drive kids yet until next year.

I won’t have a port though, onco said no need, so I guess they just have to find my vein each time I do my chemo. Are you icing your hands? Or doing cold cap by chance? I read some people do it, but with 5 hours session I don’t think I want to do that hassle or if it’s worth it? Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope and pray you continue to have minimal side effect. :-)
  • bheg79
    edited July 2018
    Options

LivM - I am scalp cooling using a Paxman machine - so far I still have most of my hair so fingers crossed - I am shedding somewhat but I was told that would happen - I do ice my hands and feet during the taxotere just in case. Honestly I would just make sure u stay on top of ur meds for side effects - my worst has been constipation which I’m still trying to get under control the first week after but I’ve had zero nausea

• VVV
    VVV Member Posts: 50
    edited October 2018
    Options

Bheg79, I had bad constipation for the first week after each infusion. I started taking miralax 1-2 times a day starting the a day or two before infusions and then for a few days afterwards until I didn't need it anymore (aka when the diarrhea started). It really helped a lot.

• bheg79
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you JVP - I will try that - the senekot does not seem to be doing the trick and I hate feeling constipated - it’s a horrible feeling - ugh

• VVV
    VVV Member Posts: 50
    edited October 2018
    Options

Before diagnosis, I had a bunch of oral surgeries so I'm experienced with extreme medication induced constipation (it's the worst!). Bowels basically get paralyzed and the contractions that move things along stop. Miralax is a osmotic laxative so it draws water in and prevents everything from getting dried out, basically. In my experience, it's really gentle so you aren't dealing with cramps etc that can happen with others and it can take awhile to start working which is why you want to start a little early and my doctor told me it was ok to take a second dose, if needed, sometimes . I think some people combine it with a stimulant laxative, like senna, as well since the purpose of that one is to cause contractions but I never did. You have to put it in drinks but it doesn't have much of a flavor. When I was in chemo I liked it best mixed with lemonade :)

• YangSainst
    YangSainst Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hello Ladies here,

Just want to ask if how many cycles all of you will be getting and is it AC or TC? I'm 34 and finish 4 cycle AC hesitant to finish the rest of 2 cycle..

Hope to hear all your insights thanks to all..

• Livlife
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Bheg79 thanks for the input. I read that aloe Vera helps too with constipation.

YangSaints I have exact thoughts about it too. I asked my onco why other people I know with same stats as me only had 4 cycle, she said 4 is minimum but 6 is really the goal and because I’m younger - that I can tolerate it better and will benefit me more. But I don’t know, she said if during the treatment and I find my self struggling with side effects after the 4th then we can talk, otherwise if I’m tolerating it good then she wants to finish 6.
  • kk2018
    kk2018 Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi All-I feel like I am on the cusp here-too old for this group, too young for the next. I turned 40 two weeks after my diagnosis and I have a 7&10 year old. Bmx in a few days and trying not to panic!

• jaboo
    edited July 2018
    Options

YangSainst - I'm getting 4 x AC dose dense (=every 2 weeks) and then 12 x Taxol with Hercetin weekly. I'm 38 years old

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited July 2018
    Options

kk2018- you can do this!! I am 33, diagnosis this past April and I had a BMX on may 21. I have a daughter who just turned 2 on July 15. The pain was totally bareable and managed well with pain meds (I only took the heavy stuff for 3 days then just Tylenol/Motrin). If you are going the expander route they aren’t that bad, annoying and I wish I could lay on my side but they aren’t as bad as I expected. The week leading up to my surgery I was a mess, it is a lot to handle and digest. You aren’t just having something done to you’re body because you don’t feel well, there is something in there that could kill you and I think that was the hardest part for me to cope with, all the unknowns going into surgery. But it looks like you are making a decision that will help you be here for your two kids for a very long time! I focused on my daughter a lot to get me through even though she has no idea what happened to me. I still look at her daily and am so grateful we had her when we did! The waiting in the worse, but you can do this!! I wish you the best of luck for a complication free surgery and recover

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018
    Options

Yangsaint: I just finished AC#4 and will be starting Taxol x12 August 8th. After chemo is complete I will be having BMX around Thanksgiving with tissue expanders placed. I also will be having total hysterectomy with ovaries and tubes removed as well since I tested positive for BRCA 2. I’m hoping they can do this at the time of the implant exchange but this may be wishful thinking. AC#4 is really kicking my butt, exhausted, headache, and heart racing into the 110’s. Just feel awful! Hope everyone is ding well.

• Popcornme
    Popcornme Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi all,

I'm 32 yo, diagnosed this April with stage 2A ER/PR+ Her2- IDC. Had mastectomy end of April and started chemo in June. I just finished 4 cycles of AC and will start T next week. SE's with AC have been mild. Hoping Taxol won't be too bad

• Kms2016
    Kms2016 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2018
    Options

SLL101984,

I’m so sorry, I just now saw this post. Yes it was definitely from swelling. They aren’t up under my chin anymore lol. Hope your surgery went well and that you are doing well!

• kk2018
    kk2018 Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2018
    Options

Tomorrow is the big day! Thanks for the positivity SLL-I’m hoping that being young and strong is an advantage in this. I’m glad to wake up to something-even if it is just tissue expanders. I think emotionally it would be too hard to go from DD to flat. I’m pretty emotional today. I did get good news yesterday-both my chest scan and bone scan came back clean, so I can go into this surgery with some positivity at my back!

Popcornme-I am so glad to read that your AC SE were manageable-I’m expecting AC&T if the pathology comes back as anticipated. I’m nervous about it, but gotta focus on the surgery first. One step at a time-at least that is what I am trying to convince my brain to do-I feel like it has become a hamster wheel up there! Lo

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited August 2018
    Options

JaBoo:

I see your cancer is HER2 positive. I was wondering, are you also getting Perjeta along with the Herceptin?

• jaboo
    edited August 2018
    Options

W3C - no, it isn't approved in my country for my stage, I believe there are even big problems for later stages to get Perjeta. The perks of our insurance system. I think I'm a borderline case for Perjeta, but I will ask whether I can get it and will push for it. I'm not sure I will be able to get it though...

• Kiso20
    Kiso20 Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi ladies, new to this and so greatful I found this community. I'm 32 and I have a strong family history of breast cancer. Back in February I had a routine mammogram and ultrasound that were negative but the radiologist suggested to get an MRI due to family history. Sure enough the MRI came back showing a mass but suggested it's "probably benign". I went for an ultrasound guided biopsy but they couldn't see the lump and told me I was fine. Few days later I got a call that I'm scheduled for an MRI guided biopsy. At that point I was so sure it was nothing I didn't rush and went on with my life until July I decided I should get the biopsy just in case. Sure enough results came back positive. I have IDC with DCIS Stage 1 ER/PR+ Her2- about 1.5cm. They suggested I do a lumpectomy which is faster and quick recovery and scheduled me for August 7.

I did a lot of research and went to a lot of second and third and fourth opinions and all I heard is even if I get a lumpectomy I may still get Chemo. I know both radiation and chemotherapy have bad side effects and decided I should avoid extra treatments if I can. So I cancelled my lumpectomy and have finally decided to do a BMx. I have Plastic surgery appointment end of the month to decide which type of surgery will work for me and we'll go from there.

It was the hardest decision ever but I feel at peace. I've never liked my boobs so I'm okay to let them go. I am worried what it'll look like after surgery and what my love life will become but at this point I'm more focused on now and getting through this. I broke up with my boyfriend the day after I found out since I knew he wasn't the one and there was no need to put him in a bad situation.

I'm starting school next week and have to have the talk with my professors in case I have to miss some of my classes.

Anyway, sorry if this is too long but good luck to all of us!! Happy thoughts everyone!