Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

Options

Comments

• shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2010
    Options

It has been just over a year since I was diagnosed and next week it will be a year since my BMX.

Its been a tough year, surgery, chemo, herceptin. I have more surgery to go and more herceptin.

When I read about long term survivors it alleviates a lot of anxiety. I love the stories about people in their 80's and still going strong. Keep those stories coming!

Thanks.

• JRae
    JRae Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Options

I'm a newbie too--only a few months.  But wanted to share that my mother is a 31 year survivor.  She's 81 and still going strong.

2-28-12 I'm back to add--now I'm almost a 2 year survivor.  Just completed an MRI which showed no areas of concern.   My mother is still going strong as a 33-year survivor, just had her 83rd birthday.   May we all be so blessed.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited October 2010
    Options

i use dx date .. easier for me to remember, and that was 5 yrs and 5 weeks ago.  i don't care what anyone says about 7 yrs or 10 yrs .. making 5 yrs felt pretty friggin wonderful!!!!   had lumpectomy, chemo (1 sentinel was positive), axillary node removal (all clear), radiation, tamoxifen, now aromasin.  i've done more travelling in the last 5 yrs than in the prior 50, including 2 trips with women i met in the chat rooms, and another coming up this wed to sun in williamsburg, va with chatters.  i didn't vote to get bc, and woudln't wish it on anyone, but some really good things have come out of it for me.  i wish that for all of you.

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited October 2010
    Options

I just had my BMX in May 2010, so it's only 5 months, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread.  I am very depressed the past couple days and I have been worried alot that even though I am Stage 1 I might not see my son graduate and get married etc.  (He's only 14) but this thread gave me so much hope for the future.  I am so glad to hear all the positive stories.  Congrats to all of you for making it through all of this struggle and to many more years ahead.  Take Care.  Allison

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2010
    Options

I count from day of diagnosis. I'm a 5 years and one month survivor! Smile

• quiltmom
    quiltmom Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Options

6 years, yeah!

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi everyone-

1 year 10 months!  Smile  I'm not too sure what date to use-diagnosis date, surgery date or date of last active treatment. I go by the date of surgery...

Congratulations to all the survivors!  We are truly a remarkable group of people.

• maggie5
    maggie5 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Options

I'm going to go by date of surgery also - 1 year 5 months.

• MarieKelly
    MarieKelly Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2010
    Options

It's been 6 years and 7 months since my diagnosis the end of February 2004. The only treatment I've had was a lumpectomy a few weeks after the diagnosis.

• halah
    halah Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2010
    Options

I'm going by date of dx for survivorship, but also the date I went NED is very important to me as well, and that date was the day of my surgery.

• See
    See Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options

1 year 6 months. How often do you go for mammogram ? I went for mine 1 year after.

Stage 1.ER/PR+ .

• juli0212
    juli0212 Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2010
    Options

marlegal:  You seem to have had a bit of the same treatments I did (2nd surgery caused partial mastectomy due to no clear margins).  Tamoxifen, now Aromasin.  2 days after my 2nd surgery (which also implanted the port), I drove 2 hours away to help my BF pick up his sports car that was being tuned.  I had no problems...also drove myself to all chemo/radiation treatments/doc appts.  (Not bragging, just wanted to stay independent as long as possible thru the treatments, I could've used the Cancer Society I was told--as my bf is an independent truck driver, no sub driver for him).  I have a good friend who had similar treatments, then developed bc again 10 years after her first dx....that's why I'd rather go with a 7 or 10 year NED survival....just my own preference there (also my docs say that too).   My best to everyone, we ARE all surviving best we can.  ~juli

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options

I count mine from the date of my surgery date - the day I went NED! It has been 16 months since then. I have definitely changed things in my life that I maybe wouldn't of if I never had this disease. So some good has come out of something bad!

• Carolina59
    Carolina59 Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2013
    Options

Counting from date of surgery, 3 yrs. 3 mos. Both my breast surgeon and onc. count from that date.

• aspen
    aspen Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

Well let's see....

#1 13 years this month  Left lumpectomy with radiation-DCIS

#2   6 years this past April.  Right lumpectomy with radiation- ILC

#3   5 years this past April.  BMX due to new DCIS/IDC on left.  Finished 5 years of Femara in Aug !!!!

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited October 2010
    Options

Dx 4/2006, IDC stage 2A, ER+ PR+ HER-, node 1/18. lumpectomy, chemo, rads, ooph tamox --> Femara + Zometa.

• juli0212
    juli0212 Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2010
    Options

aspen/rita...WOW!  that is unreal...talk about a survivor!~!    :O

cp418:  I also am going to be put on a bone drug, my primary doc is researching which is best to go along with Aromasin and my other health issues.  How long you been on Zometa, if I can ask?  Side effects?   You also were close to me in treatment/dx/year.  (Partial mastectomy for me as no clear margins in first surgery)  I still have a port too, a power-port now, my old port developed a sheath, and since it's virtually impossible to get blood outta me in the one arm we can use, another port was warranted thankfully!  I LOVE it...for dye injections/bloodwork, etc.

anyway...yes, we are all survivors...one way or another.  ~juli

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2010
    Options

For me 10 years next month

• tiff2008
    tiff2008 Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

2 yrs 8 months for  me!!  yea

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2010
    Options

I COUNT THE DAY THE DR TOLD ME I WAS NED.OCT 1,2010.@2.15...

• kathylev
    kathylev Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2010
    Options

Congratulations and continued good health to you all!  October 23 will be one year from my surgery date.   Had a clear mammo in June and will have another (hopefully clear, as well) in December. 

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited October 2010
    Options

It will 1 year 5 months since being dx-ed.

OR

10 months from the surgery.

• wrsmith2x
    wrsmith2x Member Posts: 127
    edited October 2010
    Options

Since date of surgery when I was NED......will be 3 years Nov. 29th, 2010.  Triple negative so I should be on the down-swing very soon!

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited October 2010
    Options

juli0212 - I started out with normal bone density (age 49 when dx), but after the ooph and switch to Femara had osteopenia after 22 months.  I've had 4 Zometa infusions so far (twice yearly).  The first one gave me flu-like symptoms and body ache.  My onc said to take extra-strength Tylenol and no more issues.  Now, the Zometa infusions are easy and I I foget to take the Tylenol.  I took care of some major dental work before starting the infusions.  See dentist twice yearly and follow good dental health.  I am glad to take Zometa with the recent good result for bone health.

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783
    edited October 2010
    Options

The survival period  of mine  is 5 years  & 6 months  w.e.f. March,2005. Feeling good  as the survival period seems to be extended because of great self care, I must say the truth.

• gogaserbia
    gogaserbia Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Options

5.25.10 was lumpectomy,now almost 5 m.dx DCIS 3cm NG3 clear nodes even 20YellCry!ER+PR+HER2+ hugs to all of u wonderful girls!

• Sarahlee
    Sarahlee Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options

6 Month since Dx-ed. just finished the last Chemo yesterday. Take care all of you !

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2010
    Options

Diagnosed 12/22/09, so not quite a year yet.

• renee2010
    renee2010 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2010
    Options

The date of my surgery June 23 2010

3 months 6 days survivor I beleive not been told if in remission or NED but still hereInnocent

Diagnosed April 2010

Stage 2 B

Grade 3

2/13 nodes

extrapular invasion in one node

Finished chemo October 6 2010

Radation to follow

Hugs to you all

Renee

• gogaserbia
    gogaserbia Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010