Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

Options

Comments

• KP1970
    KP1970 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2011
    Options

4 years if I count from the last day of treatment. If I count from the day of diagnosis, it will be 5 years in October. :) 

• helperro1
    helperro1 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Options

Well... 11yr survivor from my first DX... Just DX with a second primary on my opposit breast...

Here we go again!

• sherrypl
    sherrypl Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Options

2 years ago today I had my lumpectomy, still NED

• suzca
    suzca Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Options

6yrs 2 mos since first dx, local reoccurance 3 yrs ago 

• Blundin2005
    Blundin2005 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    Options

5 yrs. 7 mo since surgery and treatment for BC.  2 yrs 10 mo. for bladder cancer. NED on both.

Best wishes to all as always,

Marilyn 

• n50karen
    n50karen Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    Options

1 year since end of treatment!   4 more years of tamoxifen to go!

• Madismommy719
    Madismommy719 Member Posts: 377
    edited June 2011
    Options

Just read this whole thread, inspiring!!!! I can't WAIT to put up my future milestones!!!!

Love and hugs to every one of you!!!!!!! :0)

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2011
    Options

My Onc doesn't seem to believe in this "survivor" theory.  He says it depends upon how aggressive your bc is.  He feels I cannot consider myself in the "survivor" game for at least another 8 years.  He put a 15 year theory on my bc according to my diagnosis.  Since I have been diagnosed in 2003 that gives me another 7 or 8 years to go before I can breath a sigh of relief!  It also means he wants me to continue on (ugh!!) Arimidex for another 8 years as long as my bones don't deteriorate on me.  He doesn't seem to be concerned about what it is doing to me emotionally.  So even if I make it to the 15 year mark and am still surviving, it will have been a horrible 15 years!

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2011
    Options
    My Dr said... each and every one of us are survivorsSmile
  • Unknown
    edited July 2011
    Options

I am sure I probably put my stats on here when the thread started up, but if that was last year, I get to up the years now.  I was lst diagnosed and had a mastectomy in 1990 so that was 21 YEARS ago....I have been stage lV since 98 so that was 13 YEARS ago.  I don't know if the chemo I am on now is working or not, but I plan on being able to add a year to each of these days in 2012. 

• msjag
    msjag Member Posts: 64
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hello Everyone!! Getting nervous here, skimmed through posts didn't see any Er- Pr- Her2- (triple negative gals...tell me I missed them!!!

I consider myself a one year survivor, found the lump june 3.

Hooray for each day!!

• suzanneinphoenix
    suzanneinphoenix Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think of myself as "surviving"....it's been a year since diagnosis. Cool
  • aner18
    aner18 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options

NED today:  Aug. 9th , 2011.  

It's been 5 years since the journey began.  

As I sit in the waiting room in my gown, waiting for the radiologist to read my report, my heart pounds faster and faster as the last 5 years replay in my mind.  Ahh, finally, great news is reported!  What a relief! Tears fill my eyes.  I am so thankful.  My husband takes me out for breakfast for the best blueberry pancakes ever!  Okay, only 243 pills (tamoxifen) to go, but who's counting?  It will be another important day when I swallow that last pill. Peace and Blessings! 

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2011
    Options

aner18, 

First, CONGRATULATIONS on still being NED.  But what really caught me was your description of your emotions.  I was there with you in the exam room feeling it just as you so eloquently described.  I am three years out, and for the most part bc is no longer my every waking thought, BUT, every time there is a test we go through all the emotions once again....................and the relief of a good report is sweeter every time.

Continued good health and keep dancing with NED....................Caren

• maywin
    maywin Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    Options

Eight and a half years for this triple negative gal!!! So much for the poor prognosis of the dreaded triple negativeTongue out

• aner18
    aner18 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thank you so much Caren.

And Congratualtions to you being 3 years out.

It really helps me to describe my experiences in the present tense.  It brings it to life and to the present moment.  I actually have a writing collection of many of my bc experiences and most of them are about my return for a follow-up dr. visit/test.

And I will keep dancing and perhaps do a dance on behalf of NED (I love to dance!)

To health and healing and all the best to you.

Aner18 

• kll22
    kll22 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thank you ladies for posting!  I am 5 days PFC and am looking forward to a bright and long future!  I especially appreciate your post, MAYWIN.  As a fellow TN, I intend to follow in your footsteps!

• maywin
    maywin Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    Options

You will!!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011
    Options

Wow these post are inspiring.

I am 10 months since lumpectomy.  But will feel better when my BMX with reconstruction is done later this year.

My MIL is a 42 year survivor and she is now 82

• snicklefritz
    snicklefritz Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Options

Dx in 2003 Pleomorphic lobular, 2.5 cm, ER and PR +, 1/7 nodes +   Age 44 at dx

7 years and 8 months

Every day is a great day! 

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2011
    Options

I'm just booking marking this forum!

I read somewhere that we can call ourselves survivors as soon as we are dx'd. I suppose that's one way to think of it, but I also know that the 5 year mark is a significant one in the life of a bc survivor. I'm looking forward to that one! Money mouth

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thriving - NED 17 years

• nene2059
    nene2059 Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2011
    Options

These positive threads I love to see!  I am a 2 and 1/2 year survivor of bilateral BC and am doing great.  My grandmother is my inspiration on this journey...her birthday this October will be her 90th and she had a radical mastectomy for breast cancer in 1968!!!  43 years.  Best wishes to all of you:)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2011
    Options

My BS counts NED. Aug.31st will be my 1 year NED (and 1 year from my BMX). I'm going to play the  lottery. Something I never do.

Hauntie nice to see 17 years NED with a big tumor/grade 3 tumor… gives me hope. BTW I grew up outside of Boston.

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    Options

First of all congratulations to you all!  This site is great!

Nov 14,08 I received the call that changed my world.  I suspected it was due to the biopsy. My lump was so small, I, nor the surgeon could feel it.  Thank god for today's technology, the mammo found my lump. 

Love, Luck and prayers to us all who already received the awful news that they had B.C and unfortunately there will other's to join us. A co-worker was just dx with stage 3 a couple of months ago.. Prayers to you all   

Marlene

• suzanneinphoenix
    suzanneinphoenix Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2011
    Options

Congrats to all you wonderful ladies!  I agree with marlenet, since mammogram was how my <1 cm tumor was found.  Encourage others to continue with yearly mammos! Have a wonderful day, everyone!

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2011
    Options

congrats to all!  I'm out 4 years from my 2nd bc. (1st one was 2001, DCIS), they had to do it from a mammo only and apparently missed a tiny bit which came back after I got off the tamoxifen. 

However, MRI found it, 2007 and now it's 4 years.  I don't use "survivor" as to me, that implies that it might have won, which I won't contemplate.  I use "veteran".  I fought a war, have some battle scars.

Congratulations to everyone!  A triple neg buddy of mine is going to be very happy to see other triple negs doing well.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2011
    Options

Annie,

Thanks for sharing the term "veteran"...I like that image too. I also struggle with the term "survivor" because to me, it somehow implies "victim." I've always thought of myself as a "thriver" and that image has helped me a LOT through my treatment. 

Cheers!

Martha

• msjag
    msjag Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks for the inspiration!!!  Maywin,  thanks for the post aout TN, yahoooooo!!

And Hooray to everyone! 

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited August 2011
    Options

Just got the all clear from 2nd annual mammograms and ultrasounds.  Don't think of BC every day but always anxious just before scans and tests.  My nieghbor is 10 yrs. out and still does;t sleep the night before a mammo, so the anxiety is apparently always there.  The sense of relief after getting clear results is still so amazing!