Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

Options

Comments

• nancyinaustin
    nancyinaustin Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

Over one whole year now, was diagnosed 2/3/2010.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hey ladies first time on this thread.....Diagnosed in Feb, operated March 2011, going to do Rads, already tatooed, due back next week..................just want to give you a great stat that will make you all smile............not me..........my son-in-laws mother.

Diagnosed Nov.1988

Mastectomy Nov 1988

Chemo, Rads, Tamoxofin

Recurrance 14 years later in 2002

Removed other breast

No further treatment still on hormone Arimidex

Great today, no problems with anything.........Hey its 2011

Ladies we're talking 23 years, and her tumor was ot small, and she was 52

Kinda makes you wanna smile doesn't itLaughing

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited April 2011
    Options

Glad to hear the great survival rates!  Especially with the Triple Positive girls like me. I am currently going through treatment with Taxol and Herceptin. Fortunately, few side effects, other than hair starting to thin.

I don't know that I will ever use the word survivor but I do like no evidence of disease or NED.

My onc throws around the stat of 95% cure rate for my stage and type. I sure hope so!

Healthy and long life wishes to all of you!

Jill

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2011
    Options

6 years 4months...

• Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Almost 5 years....Mother's day is my Anniversary!Wink
  • sanbar8771
    sanbar8771 Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2011
    Options

One year survivor!!! YAY!!!

• beergirl
    beergirl Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2011
    Options

I was diagnosed in February, 2008 and had bilateral mastectomy March 26, 2008. I still worry.

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited April 2011
    Options
    One year 4/9/10.  Laughing Congrats to everyone!
  • sandee107
    sandee107 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2011
    Options

Diagnosed three years ago this week.  I have a mammogram coming up on Tuesday and I am so very anxious about it.  I thought this would be easier this year but it's not.  I feel just as worried as I did last year. 

Congrats to everyone!

Sandee

• darsura
    darsura Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2011
    Options

2 and a half years....and I am able to forget about it for days and weeks at a time...But I hear you....when I have those tests...my annual MRI done just last week...and I am waiting for the results...it is October 2008 all over again.  The worry never really leaves... but it is 2 and a half years...and I am encouraged by these posts.....Congrats to everyone! 

• thomasj
    thomasj Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2011
    Options

I have been a survivor for 22 years this May.  One week shy of 33 at diagosis and now will be 55.  My sons were 8 and 10 at the time, now 30 and 32 and I am a grandma of a 3 and 1 year old.  I had a very early recurrance on the same side a year ago but had a dmx with reconstruction and doing great.   Best wishes to everyone.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited April 2011
    Options

7.5 months here... and counting!!

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166
    edited April 2011
    Options

On Easter Sunday, I was at a family dinner with my auntie who is a BC survivor for over 40 years and my other auntie who is a survivor for over 30 years! And then there is me (4 month survivor) and my little sis who was just diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  We were a group of strong women who survived!

• sgreenarch
    sgreenarch Member Posts: 253
    edited April 2011
    Options

I like the question. I am looking forward to counting in years. Right now I am still counting in months, but time is time and i am grateful for each minute in a new way. I do love to read about long term survivors. Keep the stories coming! A woman at the city pool where i swim is a proud twenty year survivor. She parades around the locker room naked as a jay bird with her tattooed mx scar for all to see. I got up the guts to approach her and we have become friends. She insists that this gets easier with time. Gotta believe thats true.

All the best, shari

• Aza
    Aza Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am about 11 mo. out from dx.  My BS told me 18 months will be a milestone because if it is going to recur, or has spread, it usually will have shown up by then.  Has anyone else ever heard that?

AZA

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited April 2011
    Options

Aza: My surgeon told me if it is aggressive it will show up in 18 months so yes, that is the first milestone. Then the next milestone is 5 years - if it hasn't shown up by then I would have an 85 percent change that it won't come back.  (That was 28 years ago)

I did get a new cancer though - in November - but no connection to the old one.

So now I'm counting again ---5 months so far!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited April 2011
    Options

4 years here

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi srbreastcancersurvivor, I have a large scar that my surgeon made it part of my smile line, unfortunately I do not have wrinkles yet,so my scar stands red and ugly,I was told in  2 years it will fade.last week had another biopsy in my arm.

I know it is not related with B.C. but I have never tanned, seldom I went to the beach,a very indoors lady, it will not kill you ,but very disfiguring; like with my B.Cancer, I went for an aggressive treatment.

People that have a lot of basal cell carcinomas ;seems they have a mutant gene, now they have clinical trials for them.

Best to you.

• gaybar
    gaybar Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Options

hi iam 17 months on

• nikola
    nikola Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2011
    Options

Today is one year of my bilateral mastectomy with DIEP. Since then I had chemo and oophorectomy. In three months I would have stage II and then waiting for another three months for tattooing. Hopefully, that would be the end of this ordeal.

• Ellie1959
    Ellie1959 Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2011
    Options
    5 Year 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!Cool
  • theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2011
    Options

One year, 3 months since lumpectomy!  I'm so encouraged to see the long-timers!!  I'm getting close to that 18 month milestone!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited May 2011
    Options

Congrats to all.  

Joyce, Hi neighbor.

• cheyenna
    cheyenna Member Posts: 119
    edited May 2011
    Options

i had my MX may 11 last year, that is when my cancer was gone, im just a few days away from a year...Smile im new i guess, still have another MX on other side and reconstruction. i feel like im "surviving" not a survivor yet, when i get to that 10 year mark then maybe i can call myself a survivor,

maybe cause i still have far to go, and very scared. im not negative at all, i just feel im surviving right now, not a survivor  "yet" hehe  does that make any sense?

im so thrilled to hear all the good news here,what a road we are on, reading all this gives me hope and make me smile :)

love Chey

• Linda_Lee
    Linda_Lee Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Almost 3 Years!  Cool
  • Faithroad
    Faithroad Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2011
    Options

double  MX october 2010, Hysterectomy including ovaries December 2010.and on Tamoxifen.

About 6 months cancer free.

What does NED mean? I've seen that abbreviation on other posts and can't figure it out.  Is there an abbreviation guide somewhere on this site.  Once in a while I don't know what people are refering to. Laughing

• Faithroad
    Faithroad Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2011
    Options

AAhhhh......urika!!  Thank you Jo-5!

Yes, NED is definately a geat thing!!!!

• tami48
    tami48 Member Posts: 270
    edited May 2011
    Options
    3 years & 2 days!!!!!Smile
  • marejo