Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2011
    Options

I think there is a misunderstanding with some of us as to what being a "survivor" means.  I was surprised recently to find out that it seems to have a different meaning to my oncologist and maybe many others.  From what I was told, they go by the type of cancer one gets and the diagnosis.  Some diagnosis have the "5 year" Survivor code on them and that seems to mean to the Onc that one has to be still alive or not have it return within 5 years to be able to consider onesself a "Survivor".  Others, with my diagnosis which seems to be more agressive, have a 15 year code and we must be alive and without bc for 15 years before we can consider ourselves as having survived it or call ourselves "survivors".  This is the reason that although I was diagnosed in 2003, he feels I still have 7 years to go before I can  be at peace that it won't return.  This is also the reason he insists I have to continue on the Arimidex for extra protection.

However, as I wrote earlier, it is up to how one wants to interpret being a survivor and if your Onc follows the same theory as my Onc does.  So.....I guess I am still not a survivor until I can be at peace that it may never return again.

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2011
    Options

Medigal,

Could you give a little more info as to what dx's fall into which category.  Many of us would like to determine if we are in the 5 yr or 15 yr code...........thanks.

Caren

• kt1966
    kt1966 Member Posts: 1,021
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi this is my first post here. I was diagnosed in 2003 & have been good till this year when my tumour markers started climbing (but NED on scans). I have started a new hormonal regime & am going to kick its butt!

I thought the slower growing cancers took longer if they were going to make a comeback? My onco said something about that anyway- mine being grade 2, can show up 10-15 years later... The more agressive seem to show up sooner, but who knows? Just what I heard.

• Mountains1day
    Mountains1day Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

I choose to consider myself a "pioneer" rather than "survivior".  Being Her-2 positive, gratefully found at an early stage, I just made the protocols allowing the drug Herceptin in an adjuvant setting. Being 3 1/2 years out now....NED! 

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2011
    Options

Caren:  I have no idea what dxs fall into certain categories.  I was very shocked when my Onc blew my mine by his info.  Maybe they have a manual which gives them this info.  I don't think he would just make it up to upset me.  Next time I see him, I just may ask him if that info is available to patients on the internet and where I can find it.  I know I was trying to find an excuse to quit Arimidex that day after being on it for almost 8 years and he was giving me his reason for why he felt I needed the extra help.  I am ER+, PR+, Herp-2 neu positive.  When I was diagnosed, they would not give Herceptin to anyone unless they were Stage IV so I have never gotten the drug. I also had 1/27 lumph nodes positive.   Maybe that is why he feels I need to keep taking the Arimidex for extra help as long as my bones don't deteriorate. 

If you are curious about yourself, maybe you can ask your own Onc about this and ask him if he know anything about this "survivor" issue and how many years your diagnosis would put you in.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited August 2011
    Options

Old article mentions 15 years......

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCallPlusBreastCancerNews/story?id=5566177&page=1

Gone for Good? Breast Cancer Recurrence Debate Rages

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks Medigal.   I see my onc next Wednesday and will try to remember to ask him.  I have only been on arimidex about 2 and half years and our dx's are different, but I am curious............Caren

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2011
    Options

Re: discussion of survival rates

As a social science kind of person (and by education), discussion of "survival rates" can get very tricky. It's not only based on your staging, but it's also based on the type of BC you have, your race and ethnicity, your age, your genetics, etc., etc. etc. Additionally, the information, as it is formally measured by the feds, is relative to general population AND the data is a few years old. If you're really interested in this stuff, you can check out http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html.

Just don't get too wrapped around the axel by what you read. Remember, the data is dated, it's compared to the general population, and is very complicated by staging and exact diagnoses. 

Every patient is different. There have been huge strides, as we all know, in treatment and survival rates in the past few years. We have strength. We have faith. We have science. All on our side. Cool

• aner18
    aner18 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2011
    Options

Today feels important although I don't feel like celebrating.  Today marks 5 years since diagnosis.  I am glad I made it this far, and now I join so many women who also made it.  I put my thoughts and prayers and action into the medical community in finding a cure!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011
    Options

aner18 congrats on 5 years!!!!!!! that is a milestone in this BC world we live in.

• tiff2008
    tiff2008 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2011
    Options

I'm almost 4 years out from dx :))))  Although I wish I didn't still think about bc everyday....Congrats to all the survivors out there.

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited December 2011
    Options

Congrats to everyone celebrating being years out from cancer!!

I can finally join you.... One year out as of 11/30/11!! The day they cut that bugger out! :) 

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited December 2011
    Options

Checking in -

A.A.

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2011
    Options

congrats to all!  I am 3 years out!!!!

• jillyG
    jillyG Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2012
    Options

The years are flying by.........was 3 years in November!  Woohoo.  Congrats everyone.

• Jan244
    Jan244 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    Options

Well, I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse.  Originally diagnosed with Stage II BC in December of 1985, in April of 2009 I had a mass removed from my rt eye orbit which turned out to be a met from the original BC which in turn changed my staging to Stage IV.  So I went 23-1/2 years as a survivor and although I'm now in treatment for the rest of my life, I'm still here!

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited January 2012
    Options

Clocking in at 10 years this week...

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2012
    Options

I just saw this thread pop up. I remember posting here last year when I was almost a year out. Now I'm 2 years out. Awesome to see this today:)  

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2012
    Options

Congrats everyone!!!!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited January 2012
    Options

Over 11 years now since DX....NED ..9

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2012
    Options

8 years, by crackie!

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2012
    Options

19 years...until my diagnosis with a new primary last month.  But I'm going AT LEAST another 19 years this time....:)

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2012
    Options

19 years...until my diagnosis with a new primary last month.  But I'm going AT LEAST another 19 years this time....:)

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2012
    Options

9 months! I was told to count from the date of my surgery. I refuse to call it a cancerversary! It's my Rebirthday! This has been weighing heavily on me so God bless you ladies who posted that you're  20 to 30 years out! My mom is an 8 yr. survivor, though she was Stage 3 when diagnosed. I met a lady in Walmart who is a 20 yr. survivor. I'm praying for the day when we can say, I'm a 60 yr. survivor thanks to the CURE!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rohanna it's your NEDversary or your NED anniversary. I agree not a cancerversary.
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2012
    Options

I also consider the date of my BMX, which in this case is now 14 months and counting.....I don't really call it anything - not a cancerversary or NEDversary as that not a date I really associate with that type of celebration- just semantics I know, but that's me:) It is like the "day of infamy" for me. I will not forget it made me stronger, and it changed my life (hopefully for the better for a very long time).....

• lou789
    lou789 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options

4 years 7 months for me ❤