Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

Options

Comments

• coonie
    coonie Member Posts: 2,582
    edited October 2010
    Options

3 years next month!!!!!

PhewwwwSmile

• Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010
    Options

Dx #1 13 years 9 months

DX #2 4 years 3 months

• sandee107
    sandee107 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2013
    Options

2 years 5 months for me.

• Mollydog
    Mollydog Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2010
    Options

I was diagnosed in February 2008 - Feb 13 when my BS called to say my path report was positive for ILC and and that I was looking at a lumpectomy and Feb 20 when my surgeon called again to say my MRI showed that the ILC was pervasive throughout the breast and that I needed a mastectomy.  Chemo started in April, radiation in July.  DIEP in October.  I must be a survivor, because my doctors don't worry about me anymore.

• KKing
    KKing Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2010
    Options

I was diagnosed April 2008, so that makes it 2 years and 6 months.  Glad I can join you all.

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2010
    Options

My date of diagnosis was my birthday--:  10/1/2008.  Two year survivor and will never forget!  I fight for my kids--  FUCK OFF CANCER!

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited October 2010
    Options

I am 8 years out from dx and surgery.  Doing well and pray each year that I'm not going to have to do it all over again.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Iodine...did I say 10 years already?

• memory
    memory Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2010
    Options

I'll be a year from diagnosis on Oct. 28. A year from surgery on Dec. 2.

• scrapmom40
    scrapmom40 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2010
    Options

I will be three years in January.  I was dx on 1/31/08 (so I guess I am a survivor for 2 years and 8 mos. since I count from date of diagnosis.  Surgery was in March 2008.

Best wishes to all of you for continued good health and continued NED!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited October 2010
    Options

Two years and i agreewith Heather.

• gwerfil
    gwerfil Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2010
    Options

Nineteen months from diagnosis, which was Friday the thirteenth. Surgery took place six days later.

So far, so good.

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited October 2010
    Options

I count from the day I had this horrible thing removed from my body--2 years on 10/28/10.

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2013
    Options

I was diagnosed in 1993, I see my oncologist and surgeon once a year, had a biopsy of my chest wall microcalcifications 4 years later,so far so good, but I do not let my guard down, sometimes I say to myself 'you had chemo,surgeries ,you need a hug"I have learned to keep people that are negative away ,and to pamper myself.

I have chronic pain, but I am not a whinny person, I tell myself"At least it is not cancer " I am stronger and have more patience.

What help me during my treatments , was to attend a support group and to volunteer at a cancer center, that later became a full time career that I love.

• Baxter
    Baxter Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi there,

I've always wondered what criteria people use for "survivor" date too. I guess I go from my surgery dates as final pathology. So, the mastectomy from my first cancer was 10/17/08 and the mastectomy from my second cancer was 11/9/09. So I guess 11/9/10  will be one year for me.

Candi 

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Heatherbless - love your attitude!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2010
    Options

Candi,

Long time no see.  Glad to see you're coming up on your one year Suvivor date.  I use my surgery/clean pathology date also.  We can do that since we are free of cancer.  The woman who still have active cancer, I think use the date they were diagnosed.

How are you doing?  Any follow up's recently?  I go for a one year follow up with the surgical oncologist 10/19.  I'll be curious to see if I have to go once a year.

Suzy

• Baxter
    Baxter Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Suzy,

I had my follow up last week. All was okay.  I go again in 6 months. Since they don't do any testing or bloodwork,  I'm still kind of in the dark as to how useful it is. The idea of needing symptoms to present themselves to pursue a recurrance bothers me, but I guess that's how it works with most BMX patients.

I have pain in my hands and feet which I saw my PCP for and all tests and xrays came back okay. My onc. beleives it is related to menopause.

I just got my appointment today for my tattooing and small fat grating in early December. I will be finished at that point!

What's the latest with you?

Candi     

• liz19
    liz19 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2010
    Options

HELLO LADIES;

I HAVE BEEN A SURVIVOR FOR 2 1/2 YRS NOW , WE HAVE 4 CHILDREN 3 DAUGHTERS AND 1 SON AND HE IS 3 NOW !!! WHEN I FOUND IT HE WAS ONLY 6 MO OLD :(   I  THANK GOD EVERYDAY FOR ALL MY PRAYERS TO STAY WELL AND GOOD CHECKUPS!!! I HAVE TRIPLE NEG. THATS MEANS NO PILL TO TAKE !  LIKE SOME DO -  ALOT OF PRAYERS :)

IF ANYONE WANTS TO PRIVATE CHAT  SEND ME A MESS :)              

LIZ19 

• jillyG
    jillyG Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010
    Options

Great thread!!!  Success stories and survivor threads are the way to go, we need this boost!  When I see people talking about 20 years out, it really lifts my spirts. 

It will be 2 years on Nov 3rd. I'm going by Dx because I feel like that was the day I decided I am going to become a survivor and beat this thing!  Kids were 3 and 5, now they are 5 and almost 8.  Woohoo!  Here's to many more years to come :) 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited October 2010
    Options

I do not know about mine. I have this same lump since I was 15 ys old (38 ys now). I just got diagnosed in this Aug.

Seems most of the long term survivors got lumpectomy. But in my impression, BC was treated using mx. so I am confused about which way actually have a better chance to survive long term. I mean those BC who had the choice for either lumpectomy or mx.

Meg.

• SVLove
    SVLove Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Options

This New Year's eve it will be eight years since diagnosis. 

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For myself it will be 2 years cancer free in December.....BUT.....I have a cousin who is 14 years cancer free, and I talk to ladies in my job ALL the time who are well beyond the 15 year mark soooooo it is my intent to grow old and crotchety and die of something totally non cancer related :)
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited October 2010
    Options

meglove, I don't think lumpectomy vs. mastectomy has any bearing on survivorshp at all.  We all get different diagnoses and that's how we base our decisons about treatment.  So many factors come into play that we'd have to do a very very long spreadsheet to chart everything!!!  The thing to rejoice is that we ARE survivors from whatever date you choose, but just keep increasing that time of survivorship, ya know?  hugs to all

• Godlistens
    Godlistens Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi ladies! I am new to this site and am enjoying all of your posts. I am a three year survivor and counting!!  Congrats to all of you!!!

• kyra
    kyra Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    Options

congratulations to all you girls Laughing

l was DX 12th Dec 07

Lumpectomy 19th Dec 07

Mastectomy Jan 08

Chemo & Radiation 2008

Bilateral Diep Reconstruction Nov, 09

l was told l was all clear in Feb 2009, so it as been 18 months so far, my fingers are crossed Smile but still getting  lots of pain in my legs and fingers but l think this is through hormone treatment, but l am going to get an appointment to have a check up, it is always in the back of my mind it is still there or come back as l had multi focal cancer DCIS & ILC invasive but my lymph nodes were clear ( 6 of them tested)  it does scare the hell out of me that they might have missed one? l have had 8 in my family with cancers but all survived.

l think we all live on knife edge but it does make you appreciate being alive. good luck to you all it is a long journey that l think we will never forget

think of today and not tomorrow, tomrrow is another day,

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2010
    Options

Two and a half years.

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2011
    Options

My maternal aunt is a 45 year survivor!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited March 2011
    Options

I discovered my cancer in November of 1982.  Cancer free until November of 2010 (I was checking myself extra carefully because it was the anniversary of my mastectomy) when I found a small, hard lump in my other breast.

What a shock!  I really didn't think it could happen twice, but at least it wasn't a recurrence which would have meant finding it in the bones, brain or liver.

It was a completely new cancer the onc said and the same size as the other one. 

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi , don't call myself that;  (to me, survivor  implies it could have won, and I won't accept that idea.  Besides, we are all victims of a fatal disease called life.  So to me, that term was sort of weird.  I went in telling myself "of course you'll survive.  It's a battle, but you'll win it.")

So, call myself a "veteran", instead.  I went 7 years, had a new one and am now 3 years out from that.

BFs mom has gone 25 years and so has her sister (in fact, sister is 30 years) to date.

Slinky, what awesome news that is! :)

positive, great thread.  thanks!