Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• Kitchenwitch
    Kitchenwitch Member Posts: 80
    Options

Absolutely, and ditto on the "hair color is my best friend."

And I know there's a link between how stressed and frightened you are, and how it can age you, because after the path report came back from my mastectomy saying the margins were great and I did not need rads, my BS said, You look 10 years younger! And I knew he was right, I did look much more relaxed and happy.

My mother's anti-aging tip had to do with keeping your chinline/jaw firm by doing isometric exercises every day - basically sticking out her tongue as far as she could a couple of times a day for a minute or two. She had the best chinline I've ever seen on someone her age! So I try to do that now. 

In general, sleep helps, ditto on white teeth, and trying to do something nice for yourself whether it's some makeup or a good hair cut  or whatever makes you feel better.  Avoid sun at all costs (I wish I could go back in time on this one!)

• DiamondGirl
    DiamondGirl Member Posts: 695
    Options

So happy I found this thread and thank you for posting it, I also thought I was the only one turning into a prune!

Before dx I looked like 30s (actual age 48), I just finished radiation I looked like 50s.  Nothing I put on my face will moisturize the skin, arrgh!  And thanks for pointing out the website and parabens, I was not aware before this.  

Love the good advice and tips so keep them coming :)

Happy New Year to all!

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    Options

Anyone else have skin on hands that has aged 20 years?  Thin and wrinkled. . .

• Barbie7
    Barbie7 Member Posts: 126
    Options

Rock on Ruth and Annette.  I like how you ladies think.

I'm like so many of you, I aged 20+ years, and I blame it all on the Tamoxifen (lack of estrogen, lack of sleep) and stress.

Yes Jane, my hands have caught up to looking like my mother's hands currently do!  

I'm going to go stick my tongue out as far as I can (thank you Kitchenwitch) and check out the paraben levels on my products.  Although I do agree with Barbe & the others, there is a point where a little bit isn't going to hurt all that much.  Which is why I still use real butter.

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

I also agree Ruth.  I don't wear makeup every day since I work from home but I have been using Oil of Olay forever.  In fact, I just replenished my supply.  My makeup is paraben free (Bare Minerals).

I'll see if I can find a inexpensive parabe free moisturizer and try it.  I can always give my Oil of Olay to someone.

I've been at the gym almost everyday, quit smoking, eating healhier but I do like my one glass of red wine with dinner.

Jan

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    Options

barbe1958, you look great for your age! Continue to take care of yourself...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options
    Kiss
  • SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Well, I have been an Oil of Olay gal (as their ad used to say: I'm not going to grow old gracefully) since I was in my 20's guess I didn't realize the reason I was  not going to grow old gracefully was because my moisturizer was going to kill me!

Boy, there is bad stuff in so MANY products.  I will need to do some more thinking on what this all means to me but, have a tendency to believe there's only so many things you can worry about. 

In my case, it's not so much the wrinkles (although I have those as well) that have me feeling down, it's the sagging skin.  I've noticed it suddenly along my jaw line and neck!  I really do think it is from the estrogen being blocked by the Tamoxifen but, I guess looking a bit older is better than the alternative of having my cancer return.

Oh well,  sitting here with my jug of water, sticking my tongue out Wink hoping something works!

barbe1958,

If that is a recent picture of you, I wouldn't have even had you pegged as in your 40's!  Keep doing what you're doing cuz it's working!

• barbe1958
    Options

I do believe that holding on to a bit of weight helps too. I have a girlfriend that had a face-lift 5 years ago (but thought she looked great at 103 lbs)!!! My sister-in-law is 60+ and looks like late 40's. So I'll take the bit of extra to help plump out the wrinkles. I do look like death when I loose too much weight. My face is very long and narrow and with my deep-set eyes I look absolutely haggard when my weight goes down!

• barbe1958
    Options

Oh, I'm so rude! Thank you for the compliments! Typical woman...sigh....why can't I just say thank-you?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options
    OK, I am going to gain weight and run around sticking out my tongue Laughing!!!!!
  • tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

Hi all!

I definitely noticed a change in my face since DX, mainly after chemo.  I just felt like every sun spot decided to surface all at once.  For me, it's not really the wrinkles, it's the spotsYell!

This past summer I went on a little trip w/ a group of friends I haven't seen in a while.  When my one friend saw me, she said, "WOW your short hair is so adorable...and those freckles...how cute!" Bless her heart, she called them "freckles"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  More like major sun damage from growing up at the beach and not using sunscreen until about age 25...little too late, I guess! 

I also take Tamoxefin, so I wonder if that isn't helping matters, either.  At least I can say that I haven't had any gray hairs yet...I was convinced that when my hair grew back it would be gray, but it still is my original color.  My face may be a mess, but at least my hair came back nice.

Count me in for weight gain and sticking my tongue out all daySmile

Sherrill

• jan508
    Options
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

You look mahhhhh-va-lous!!!!

• jan508
    Options

I need to get a post DX pic.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    Options

I happened to go by the Doctors on TV when surfing the other day, and heard that sake has a type of acid that takes away dark spots on the face.

It was Deneuve who said a woman has to choose between her rear and her face.  Weight definitely plumps the face, but the weight I carry in my middle just plain-ol' looks like a middle-aged paunch.

My feeling on the products is, you can't go too crazy--I just looked up my Jason natural deodorant, and even with their "Pure, Natural, & Organic" logo, it turns out it's not all that safe. Crazy.  But...with so many good alternatives out there, I just haven't used the standard Proctor and Gamble/Johnson and Johnson stuff in ages. It's just full of junk.  Moisturizer is one I'd be careful of:  if you put it all over the body, it stays there and gets absorbed.

My understanding is that Tamoxifen is not an estrogen-robber like an AI.  It is a blocker of high-grade cells, which is why they often refer to it as chemo.  It actually estrogenizes the uterus.  So it doesn't rob the body entirely, but skin, hair, nails often suffer since they all have high turnover cells.  Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

My hands look like the hands of someone 20 years older.  I work with my hands, that's part of it.  Now, I'm slathering castor oil on them at night, and on my feet!

• barbaraa
    Options

MHP try coconut oil. I get organic virgin coconut oil at the healthfood store and slather it all over my body and hands. I can see improvement in just the two weeks I started doing it.

• barbaraa
    Options

Plus, I have another one I use for cooking. Delicious. Better than Olive oil.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

Thank you Barbie 7- I needed that:)

And Barbe from canada- you do look a hell of a lot younger than your age, ehhh:!

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    Options

Cool, Barbara, thanks!  I have it for cooking, will repurpose it tonight!  Oh, another thing on The Doctors:  put on moisturizer before you shower!

• jan508
    Options

I;m not too familiar with the paraben stuff. How do you know if it's in your lotion?

Jan

• D4Hope
    D4Hope Member Posts: 37
    Options

I don't look oldre but my body feels like I am 90 some days.

• jan508
    Options

Why put on moisturizer before shower??

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Jan,

What a great picture!  You are such a cute couple and, may I say, you look beautiful... So nice to put a face with the name.  I will need to work on figuring out how to get a picture at the very least as my avatar!

Barbara posted a bit back on this thread a link where you can enter in your product and see how good (or not) it may be for you!

Barbara,

I'll have to check out the coconut oil (now that's different from coco-butter?).  Can that be used for your face as well?  The problem I am having is, no matter what I use, my skin, everywhere, is just SO dry!   I've said it before but will say it again... Lookin' good sistah!!

I, too, seem to have developed a bad case of my MOM'S hands!

• jan508
    Options

Jennifer:

Yes, I remember Barbara did post a link. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for reminding me (Tamox brain)?

That pic was taken last Valentine's day in the Caribbean. I was 58 in that pic...I'll have to get a new pic taken soon.

Jan

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    Options

Lots of water and a little botox :)

• jan508
    Options

Kathryn:

I plan on asking my PS about botox when all my surgery is done...or maybe even before.

Jan

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Ladies --- What about a good pair of comfortable shoes???

The DD and I wear the following brands and swear by them:

Wolky

Durea

Waldlaufer

Ziera/Kumfs

I'm telling you, if your feet hurt, you look and feel like S#*T! 

We started going to the orthopedic shoe store to buy these foreign made shoes and haven't looked back!  I recently asked my daughter's fiance how he felt about being with a young woman who wears "orthopedic shoes" and the fellow said, without missing a beat, "It doesn't bother me, because I only look at her from the waist up."Laughing

For her birthday last May, I treated her to a new pair of Kumfs.  She and the fiance walked the Brooklyn Bridge BOTH WAYS on her special day and her feet felt great.  The fiance's feet?  Not so good!

I'm telling you, a good pair of shoes makes you feel and look terrific!

Oh, BTW - I'm on Tamoxifen, Lupron and Zometa and I'm going to be 54 in a few weeks.  I've told very few people about my diagnosis and I have to say, people continue to compliment my youthful appearance.  My secret?  I start EVERYDAY with a 45 minute to 1 hour walk.  If it's too hot or too cold, I walk at the local mall.  There are folks there with walkers and canes walking.  Amazing!  Most days, I try to fit in a second walk as well in the afternoon or evening.

I also have a wisp of gray hair and will NEVER color it.  Anne Kreamer's book, Going Gray is my bible!  The only thing that I do differently now with my hair is use conditioners designed for gray hair that give me a great shine.

That's my story and I'm sticking by it.  Comfortable shoes make you smile!Laughing

• SeasideMemories
    Options

voraciousreader,

Thanks for your footwear suggestions!  As one of my New Year's resolutions I have decided to exercise more so have been doing the treadmill for 2 miles per day (it's cold here in the northeast, otherwise I would be outside) and noticed my shins were hurting a bit!  I think it is time for new shoes and will look into your suggestions!

I do agree that what you have on your feet matters from your toes all the way up!  My son, who is a hockey player, was having some problems with his knees during the practices that they had before the season started where they were doing a lot of running!  We took him to the doctor's because of it.  Turns out his problem was NOT with his knees at all, it's in his FEET!  He's very flat footed!  Orthotics in his shoes was the answer!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options

If you want to try some cheaper inserts (cheaper than prescription ones anyway); go to Walmart and get on the Dr Scholl's Foot Mapping machine. It will measure your foot and recommend which level of the Dr. Scholl's inserts are right for you (the inserts cost about $50). They really have worked for me. I bought a couple pair and alternate them between my shoes.