Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

MHP70,

In the past my problem areas, as far as weight gain, have always been in my thighs and rear-end.  Since starting Tamoxifen my weight gain has really become right around my belly.  Uuuuuuugghhhhh!

I REALLY do believe that women tend to gain in their thighs and rear BUT men tend to gain in their bellies.  

My theory is, once you start the Tamoxifen and it does it's job of capping the estrogen receptors, we, as women, are thrown into a case where we have more testosterone getting to our cells without estrogen to balance it (since those receptors are capped by the Tamoxifen).  Therefore we 'tend' toward a more male pattern of weight gain.  Just my theory but, really wish the pounds would just STOP piling on! 

Oh well, New Year and new resolution to get this under control!! 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

ruthbru,

Thank you for your suggestion!  I will definitely check it out since insurance will NOT cover his inserts and the fact that he is still growing like a weed and would likely outgrow any orthotics (at $600.00 a clip) before the year is out.

We will do it if we NEED to but, I think I would like to see if something a bit less expensive will get us through for the next year or so until he's done growing.  And then invest in long-term orthotics as a solution!

The fun just truly doesn't end!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options

They very well might work; I know they saved me a trip to the orthopedic people. Also with foot problems you should actually wear your shoes (with the inserts) most of the time instead of running around barefoot (according to a friend who did go to an orthopedist).

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    Options

I bought a pair of Easy Spirit Travel mules this summer and loved them.  I just bought 2 more pain in dark colors to wear to work.  Feel like I'm cheating wearing such comfortable shoes that look good for work but feel like sneakers.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    Options

Moisturizer before shower:  the heat activates it, and the moisturizer keeps the water from drying the skin.  From a top plastic surgeon, for what it's worth!  I imagine oil based moisture, like coconut oil, works best in this way.

My mother's podiatrist told her to not wear the same shoes day after day in a row.  It's better for your feet to change it up. And man, is it ever true:  if your feet hurt, fuggedaboudit.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

ruthbru,

I think we may try to head down there tomorrow.  Where in Walmart is the foot mapping machine located?  In the shoe area, pharmacy or elsewhere?  Was the machine pretty self-explantory as to how to use it?

Thanks!

• Kitchenwitch
    Kitchenwitch Member Posts: 80
    Options

Barbe1958 (and I believe we were born the same year, if that's your birth year!) - Someone once told me that as you age you have to choose between your ass and your face. I'm definitely choosing the face! You look wonderful. I did lose a bunch of weight on WW but I think the women who diet down to a sparrow's weight... well.. it's not the look I want.

• ruthbru
    Options

In our store it is by the vitamins, shaving cream, bandaids, reading glasses etc. Yes it is totally easy to use; you just step on it and it will tell you what to do, takes about 3 minutes.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Kitchenwitch,

I agree!  I'll go with the face as well.. the problem has been that I have gained weight and, at the same time, my face and neck are going down the drain!! I'm getting the worst of both Cry

I'm starting with many of the suggestions here!  Stay hydrated (difference between a raisin and a grape and LORD I want to be the grape! thanks barbe), do facial exercises (thanks Kitchenwitch for that suggestion), get enough rest (thanks annettek and others) and exercise (thanks claire), think about switching it up with what I use to moisturize (thanks all!)  Have the hair appointment! 

We'll see!  I certainly am hopeful that I am going to see the new me soon (or as my husband and I joke, without our glasses, we BOTH look GREAT..lol)

• SeasideMemories
    Options

ruthbru,

Thanks for the info!  If it works out, I think I owe you a commision...lol

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

A couple of other good shoe brands are:

Finn Comfort

Think!

Mephisto

All three of my kids wear orthodics for various reasons.  One had hip pain, one knee and the other foot!

The beauty of the "orthopedic" shoes is that many of them come with cork foot beds, or memory foot beds.   Some have steel shanks, such as the Durea that really cushion your feet.  Some of the shoes allow you to take out the footbed and replace it with an orthodic.  Many orthodic shoe stores sell orthodics at different price points.

Here's my suggestion if your feet hurt.  Go to a foot doctor with a shopping bag full of your shoes.  Let the foot doctor advise you about what kind of shoes you need to wear.  My foot doctor advised me not to get orthodics because my feet hurt on the top AND bottom.  Orthodics would only squeeze my feet more.  She recommended rocker sole shoes to begin with.  I went to the orthopedic shoe store and bought two expensive pairs.  Over the course of a few weeks, my pain disappeared.  I now scour the web and also go to the Eneselow flagship store on Park Avenue South in Manhattan when they have a sale. 

Over the last three years I've thrown out every uncomfortable pair of shoes in my closet.  It took me three years to change every pair.  Interestingly, I don't own a pair of sneakers.  They do not offer enough support.  Naturalizers, Aerosoles, Eccos and Easy Spirits used to make up the majority of shoes in my closet.  But what I found was that they would be comfortable for a few weeks, and then I'd wear them out. 

It took tremendous patience and a great deal of work to get my feet in a comfortable place.  But I have to tell you all from my experience at the foot doctor.  That shopping bag full of shoes that I brought to the doctor was a hunk of garbage because NONE OF THE SHOES FIT!  I needed a wide "toe box" to wiggle my toes and support throughout the sole and I found out, that despite having a petite body, I HAVE EXTRA-WIDE FEET.  Sandals with velcro  and ankle straps are my best friend. 

So, if you want to look good and feel good, open up your closets and part with those shoes that hurt your feet.  I promise you will feel better, just by hauling out of your homes those painful shoes.  Then do your homework and get your feet properly measured.   Then, happy hunting!Laughing

• Kitchenwitch
    Options

VoraciousReader, Double thumbs up to comfortable shoes! Can't look and feel beautiful when your feet are crying. Glad to see so many people considering my mother's old beauty tip... she was in some ways so not vain, so not hung up on looks, but she definitely cared about looking great as long as it didn't involve face lifts, too much makeup or uncomfortable shoes. 

• LtotheK
    Options

A friend recently got turned on to Finn Comforts.  She's in heaven!  They are pricey--I keep my eye out on Ebay.  But...one pair of great shoes is worth three junkers.  That's a cool list, voraciousreader.  The Finn Comforts, sadly, lose the "cute award" on that list, tho ; )

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

I love Naots. Really pretty and very comfortable.

• Fearless_One
    Fearless_One Member Posts: 905
    Options

MH, I agree with you about being misled by "natural products".   I am amazed they can get away with such claims, and you look at the label and it's all chemicals.   They throw in one or two "natural" ingredients and call it "natural".   

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    Options

I lost a lot of weight during chemo and I know it made me look older, actually. When I started to gain it back the wrinkles on my face smoothed out a bit. An awesome moisturizer, proven to hydrate better than tons of more expensive creams - Olay Regenerist Sculpting cream. I also use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer as foundation - great for my 44 year old skin. I used to use mineral makeup, but I now think that only looks good on younger, plusher skin - it started to make mine look powdery and dry and old.

Another suggestion - dress stylishly, dump the frump. I'm not saying shop at the junior department for skinny jeans (ack! they look good on NO ONE), but don't go for the "mom" jeans either.  It's amazing how much better you feel about yourself when you wear something modern and stylish that flatters your figure.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

I LOVED Olay, especially Regenerist....until breast cancer. Here is a link to the line in Cosmetics database. Sigh. It really works, too. Sigh. Sorry I couldn't get the link to activate. 

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch_free.php?query=Olay Regenerist &&start=0

• LtotheK
    Options

What I often do is find out what the active ingredient is, and see if I can come up with an alternative.  The Weleda Everon cream I really love is mostly sweet almond oil.  I can get that at the health food store.  The hydroxy type acids that work to turn over skin cells faster are available in non-toxic cosmetics.  Even my beloved Dr. Hauschka, though, is more risk than I thought.  Mario Badescu isn't in the database, I have loved their (overpriced but good) products.

• ruthbru
    Options
    "Dump the Frump';  love it Smile, and how about: "If you don't glow, it must go."
  • minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    Options

interesting link Barbara. I didn't see the Sculpting cream in with the Olay products but In looking at the other Regenerist products none of them have what the site would classify as cancer causing ingredients. Are you against using them because of the cell-regeneration type properties?

My 70+ year old aunt who has BEAUTIFUL skin slathers Vaseline on her face every night - that's her beauty secret :)  Looks pretty low risk - maybe I'll switch to that though it seems a lot messier!

• Kitchenwitch
    Options

Barbara, Why did you stop loving Olay? I like some cheapish night-firming cream they made (I can't seem to find it anymore) and I love their eye gel (also hard to find but I think it's online). Their whole product line got so expensive and complicated, it's kind of daunting, but I do like their things still.

Yay for dumping the frump! I had to go to work 12 days after my mastectomy and still had two drains in. Hiding them became the entire focus of my life. Sometimes I wore this huge black oversized top and hid the drains in a Chinese silk shoulder bag, and I didn't care that it was sticking out a little. Other times, I pinned them inside a black t-shirt and wore a boxy jacket over that. On the bottom I wore skinny jeans (thank you, tummy tuck and abdominal binder). I feel I could write at least an article on dressing post-mastectomy... 

• LtotheK
    Options

Minxie...petroleum is not good stuff.  Try castor oil, it does the same, and has a lot of added benefits, too!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

For the body I use 2 part Dove body wash with 1 part Suave hair conditioner. My 73 YO mom taught me this. It can take a week or two to make a difference but it's great. I started this, this past summer. This is the first winter I haven't had to use body moisturizer and I'm not itchy from dry skin. (Granted if I had to shave my legs I would still moisturize but chemo had taken care of the leg hair).

As for my face… I look better on chemo. I have an oval shaped face and I'm a normal (sometimes thin) weight. My face thinned with age. So when chemo came along if filled in my face nicely. My onc aways tells me how great I look. I told her I would look like crap once chemo ended because my face would deflate ;-)

I would love to know how to get rid of those "laugh lines" around my eyes but they have been growing for a while now. It will be interesting once off chemo and arimidex starts.

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Lago:

Your avatar is lovely! 

I will have to try the body wash.  Sounds like a winner to me.

Jan

• lago
    Options

Thanks Jan that's me Dec 18th at my nieces bat mitzvah. First (and last so far) time I wore my wig. I told you I look great on chemo ;-)

and make sure you add the hair conditioner to the body wash.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options
    Hey Lago---lookin good girl.its never too late.right????
  • lago
    Options

Too late for what? wearing the wig. I'm not done with chemo just yet. Last on Jan 18. It will be a while before the hair grows & is presentable. I wear scarves.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

I went to a conference with drains under my camisole and jacket.  Just closed the buttons and put a bright scarf on top.  No problem here.

Accessories are our friend, so some fab jewelry and scarves.  I didn't wear scarves on my head as didn't think I would want to wear them around my neck later.

I use a French skincare line....Clarins.  For me that works, and the tinted moisturizer matches the slightly olive undertones in my skin.  (Big surprise, I'm one quarter French Canadian.)

Right now, the new footwear I need is cycling shoes and x-country ski boots.

The only clothes I have remotely frumpy are cashmere sweats I wear apres ski and apres hot bath.  Then they are divine.  Resale shop specials.

For the record, I don't do frump underneath it all either.  Firm believer that "less is more" here.

I also love Body Shop for all sorts of bath things.  Lovely scents, and you are often supporting a good cause.

Exercise is the most amazing though.  I swear I sometimes look 15 years younger when I get back.  Plus, feel that all is well with the world. - Claire

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options
    Claire, DiDel, ruthbru and all you lovely ladies - thanks for the very inspiring posts and great tips! Very uplifting for me since I just finished 6 months of chemo and radiation treatments 2 weeks ago - I feel like I've been dragged through the mud - and worse! And thanks for starting this timely thread, Jan! Right around New Year's when we start re-evaluating our lives.....and our closets, our hair, our makeup, our skin care...
  • DiDel
    DiDel Member Posts: 733
    Options

Aww anytime! I love sharing beauty secrets and tips. Finding a good moisturizer is right up there with finding a great pair of shoes!! I've picked up some great tips and facts from this site. Sharing secrets is part of the sisterhood!!

Diane