Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• changes
    changes Member Posts: 42
    Options

I had very good skin until starting Tamoxifen. A month or two after starting it, I noticed my facial skin was MUCH drier and wrinkling more. However, I started taking a fish oil supplement (for its anticancer and cardiovascular benefits) and that turned it around. My skin is back to looking like it had been. Turned out to be an expected perk.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    Options
    Sorry Barbe. I didn't say it was "rude". I said it was presumptuous and that I didn't want to sound rude. I am referring to your sentence (and I quote), "Nordy, you are ER- so of course it wouldn't make a difference in your case." Am I on the defense? Hmmm... I didn't necessarily think so. I just wanted to underscore that we all have different concerns and it isn't up to us to judge or decide what is right for one another. That is why I always tell people to discuss anything that they may decide to change or add to their diet, to check with their doctors, and that all of these things are very personal decisions for people. I use a phytoestrogen cream, I occassionally eat soy, but I don't touch alcohol or tobacco or eat too much sugar - where someone else might decide to do those things. It is personal. We each make the best decisions we can given the information we are given and what we can live with. I told you I didn't want to sound rude, but I think you took it that way anyway, and for that I apologize.
  • heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

lago - thanks for the video! That's a good song to have running through your head! 

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    Options

Yes Lago, thanks for the video!  I also supplement with fish oil and use olive oil in my cooking.  My skin seems to soak it up.  I have used coconut oil in certain area's mentioned on the mojo thread but I never thought about using it on my scars and body.  I think I will try that since it smells wonderful.

• donnadio
    donnadio Member Posts: 674
    Options

lago...Dr.s feel sleeping pills are the answer to all of my sleep issues. Have gone to a Natural dr and had me on Life Extension Melatnin, which I still do and Magnesium and Kavinace ( for support of GABA receptors..B6 and taurine). ALso doin a glass of tart cherry juice 2 hrs before bed as it does support melatonin production! I just cannot get answers to not a fullnights sleep. I want my bio-identical hormones back!!!!

I will probably age another 10 years after my ooph!!!!lolo.. I will take that quote I just read and love me for who I am but it is not easy in the mirror..!!It is defintley a grief period and a lesson in letting go!!!

THANKS all for great info and comments!!!sorry I am so vain but i miss the old me on the outside and the change was just too abrupt!!

Donna

• donnadio
    Options

Oh I use cooconut oil on skin after shower and on breast scars. DID not do so much on face and will now!!Use at times almond or grapeseed Oil on me too. Do fish oils and cook with good oils! A antioxidant like Vit C  mositurzer is really good for face!!!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

Donna - you're certainly NOT vain! We all miss our old selves and we want to get back to them somehow. My wrinkles are okay, but my skin seems to be looser after the chemo and now I appear to have wiggly jowls! Not good! Maybe like Barbe says, they are straightening out the wrinkles!

I have a feeling I might need some professional intervention there, I don't know if that entails Botox, but I don't think so. I don't think I would do the Botox because it just doesn't last long enough, but never say never. I am really so tired of maintenance, and I would just be bringing on another maintenance chore. Well, at any rate, first I'm going to try one of those jaw-firmer things As Seen On TV!

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

I've been trying so hard to get off of paraben stuff.

I'm into all Burts Bees stuff but I need to find paraben free makeup and hair color and hair spray.

Then I'll be good to go :)

Jan

• IHOP
    IHOP Member Posts: 24
    Options

paraben free makeup?  Try the mineral powders like bare escentual.

• jan508
    Options

Oh, I already use bare essentials, have been using for years! Yeah!!!

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    Options

I can thank my grandmother and mother for my bc, but at the same time, I can thank them for good genes for my skin.  I have wrinkles, but they really do not bother me much.  I found out this week that I have a pre-cancerous lesion on my upper lip.  It has been shaved off once and will be shaved again this upcoming week.  I did not know about parabens (or at least was not ready to accept it) until recently and slathered it all over my face for 2 years after bc.  I can't say this is the reason I had this--much more likely it was due to years of being in the sun, being fair skinned and having my immune system shot with chemo. 

If any of you want real organic food and live near Ithaca, NY, my niece and her husband have a CSA--community supported agriculture organic farm in Trumansburg,  I wish I lived near there.  They truly know organic and do it right.

www.sweetlandfarm.org  The beautiful picture is my niece.

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    Options

I'm also with Barbe on this one,  NO forms of estrogen if I can help it in or on my body.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options

A good professionally done spray on tan can make you look great.

For sleep issues, I have used prescription sleep aids (and if you need them, USE THEM), but recently I bought a hypnosis CD with the title of 'Reduce Stress and Power Napping". I put that on at night and WHAM I am knocked out!!! If I wake up, I put it on again and WHAM I am back asleep!! I am amazed as I have been a crappy sleeper for years. www.FrederickWinters.com

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Ruth, is the CD really that good or is it just boring? ehehehehehhehe

Nordy Innocent

• ruthbru
    Options

Seriously, his voice and the music knock you right out....I had to listen to it once in the middle of the day and keep moving around so I wouldn't fall asleep, so I could hear what he was saying all the way to the end....it's very strange!

• barbe1958
    Options

So, is it like Barry White reading an algebra text or something? Like really, what does it say? I've fallen asleep to sound machines before, but not talkine ones.

• ginadmc
    ginadmc Member Posts: 183
    Options

I, too, feel like I've aged after surgeries, chemo, rads and now Tamoxifen. My face is drier so I've been trying different lotions, without parabens. Right now I'm using Yes to carrots. I'm not sure that it's thick enough. I can't tell if it's just winter dry or dry due to lack of estrogen. Over the last year, I have often thought that the appearance changes attributed to BC are very insulting. Scars, baldness, wrinkles around my eyes, bags under my eyes, facial hair ~~all these things I never had before BC. Echoing what many of already said, I never feel I looked my age until now. I will be 50 this year so I'm probably hyper-critical of how I look. Thanks for the coconut oil tip. I will be buying some today. Any recommendations for a good (paraben-free) facial cleanser and moisturizer? I'm trying to replace my products as they run out. I'm using deodrants without aluminum, Shampure shampoo/conditioner by Aveda. Body Shop body butter and soap. Thanks! Gina

• jan508
    Options

Gina:

I, too am replacing my products. I just bought some paraben free deodorant in the grocery store. It was with the other deodorants but marked 'natural' and lists paraben free. It is called 'Crystal' body deodorant stick.  I'm using Burts Bees products for now but I do like the shampoo/cream rinse. If I find another I like better I'll try it.  I just bought Burts Bees body lotion but have not used it yet. Little by little I'm trying to use the paraben free products and I try to eat right and I exercise almost every day, take me Tamox and supplements.  I'm doing the best I can

I don't know if the dry skin is from the winter either but we'll probably be able to figure that out in a couple of months!

Good luck to all on 'getting this right'

Jan

• IHOP
    IHOP Member Posts: 24
    Options

I've tried the natural deodorants but I guess I must sweat and stink like a pig because they just weren't strong enough for me.  It is the one thing I wish I could change but can't.

• jan508
    Options

I never used them but I'll let you know how this one works out. I'm not a big sweater so we'll see

• donnadio
    Options

thanks hearts!! I know about the jowl thing.. drives me crazy!!!Look like a chipmunck getting ready for a long winter lolol.!!! I too, BOTOX..would love it but not if it is for short term. It would be a tease.. getting it done and loving it and then 6 mos later, back to where I was. Knowing me, i would become addicited to it all too!!!

ruth...yes.. i do take an occassional sleep pill if need it. I just hate it as I teach and feel so icky the next day and do you beleive even with an Ambien, I am awake 4-6 hours later! I want to know where i can get that tape.. order it online? Sounds like a great idea!!!!I also use to be able to nap 1-2hrs and restorative prior to BC and now 10 mins tops. I think chemo did something to my cnetral nervous system, as my body does not relaz like it use to!!!

No estrogen for me,,, triple negative but like Nordy,  I have been using a phyto-based cream at night by Derme E that mimics progestrone etc. I need to use it more consitency as i do not feel a difference. It also has Vit E ,black cohosh and I think chamomille??

I am slowly changing out product for Burt;s Bee. Just got a new shower gel from them and love it. Used facial produicts before too and hand cream.

Thanks for great tips!!!!

Donna

• barbe1958
    Options

Bewary of black cohosh too!

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    Options

Hi everyone ... I've been following this thread with interest!

Can anyone remember who posted a while back about a cure for fungus in your toenail?  Did it have something to do with soaking it in Listerine?  I wish I could remember.

Thanks!

Bren

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Yes that was me. I soaked my toe in Listerine (green kind although I am not convinced it matters) for 20 minutes, once a day for about 3 weeks. The toe started to grow out great. It was almost gone then chemo did some nasty things to it and now most of it had been removed by my podiatrist.

You can do a google search on Listerine, toe nail fungus. There are many formulas:  http://www.ehow.com/way_5149770_listerine-cure-toenail-fungus.html

--------------------------------------------------

BTW I've tried the extra virgin coconut oil on my face twice now. It does seem better and I didn't break out.

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    Options

Thanks Lago .. I knew one of you gals had the "cure."  I'll try that .. it's so much better than taking an oral medication for four months!

Bren

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

and much better for the kidneys.

• ruthbru
    Options

Vicks Vapor Rub is suppose to work for toenail fungus too.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

I was told to used Toms of Maine deoderant.Well it doesnt work unless you use it 3x a day.at least for me it doesnt.i keep asking the techs who do the rads tx. DO YOU SMELL ME???/ they tell me its in my head.NO ITS NOT.

BTW TO COCONUT OIL WORKS ON THE FACE,BODY AND HAIR TREATMENT TOO.EVEN A SPOON DAILY IS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR THE STOMACH.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

GrannyD I use Crystal Pump spray deoderant and it works great. I use the solid crystal deoderant on trips and it also works great.

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi. I have tried a lot of different natural deoterants and none seemed to work for me until I read a book that recommended Dr. Mist hygiene spray.  It works wonderful.  I buy it online.  Its cheaper on their own website but you can find it on amazon too.