Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Thanks Heart:

I was just trying to see if anyone else was having the same issues I was and it looks like we have started a nice 'beauty tip' thread.

Thanks for the input.

Jan

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options

Just before reading this thread, I was brushing my teeth and noticing how "old" I looked.  Thanks everyone for all of the great tips.  I especially like the Dove Body Wash/Suave Conditioner idea.  I'm going to get me some tomorrow.  Botox would probably help, but I can't bring myself to do it...

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options

I'd do it but my bank account says NO!!!!

• DiDel
    DiDel Member Posts: 733
    Options

OMG I had a little B the other day for the first time and my PS said he would give me a discount...one cause I referred him some business and 2 because he likes me. I thought that was so sweet. So here I was thinking he shaved off like $100 uhh no he did it for less than half price!! I didn't realize each eye and in between eyes counted as 3 separate injection sites...I don't know why I didn't think that but I didnt.  Anyhow, I gotta either drum up more business for him or take on a second job if I ever want those shots again. I probably won't it is too expensive but for now it makes me happy!

Diane

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Heartnsoul and anyone else with super short hair.....

Don't toss clothes that are out of proportion until your hair grows back.

Just saying, as I don't look right in some hats right now, and I have to wait on some skirts.  Right now, I don't have the hair volume to balance everything out.  I really don't want to ditch my cool Chanel skirt unless I have to.  Or my hats I have had forever and usually look fab on me.  Right now, the proportions are off.  So I am giving it a rest for a year.

Oddly enough, these things looked just fine with my wig last year, and I even work one of my hats for Easter.  But not now. - Claire

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I have always shaved with hair conditioner so was surprised to see it recommended! I thought I was just cheap.....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options
    Funny but my PS is giving a groupon today. Guess business is slow after the holidays. ;-)
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

Minxie- my mom, god bless her, is 84 and has used pond's cold cream FOREVER...her skin is beautiful. Sigh, I should have listened...:)

• annettek
    Options

groupon for plastic surgery...ok...next up, transplants at 25% off if you make it by 5pm today!

• annettek
    Options

Minxie- my mom has used ponds cold cream for decades and at 84 her skin is beautiful...of course her daughter is a doofus who didn't listen to her mom about a lot of things:)

I had botox for the first time and only time last spring. I felt so shallow but I wanted a boost and had finally made up my mind that I wasn't going to get a breast job, finally making peace with their droop after feeding two kids and living five decades with heavy roadwear, decided invasive surgery was not worth it (how ironic is that?!)

But, the botox rocked. So subtle and everyone kept commenting as the days went by that I looked so refreshed and what in the heck was I doing. I didn't tell anyone except for a few close friends, so it was really crazy to hear. Alas, it has worn off although I got plenty of mileage out of it, more than 4 months. Right before DX I was considering it again. It was minimal amount as I didn't want to be frozen. I have decided when I am settled on my course of treatment (AI or alternative) I am getting me some-grammar and superficiality be damned. 

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

I use Argan Oil for just about everything, and I love it!  I put a drop or 2 on my hands, rub together and smooth over my hair after I dry it.  Great for smoothing frizz.  I also use it on my cuticles and a little on my face at night.  Olive oil works well, too, for the cuticles, and much cheaper.

I also started using conditioner for shaving a while back, because bought some for my hair and I didn't like how it made my hair feel, so I just started using it for shaving my legs.  Works better than any shave gel, IMO.

Keep the beauty tips coming!

Sherrill

• elaineg
    elaineg Member Posts: 85
    Options

I am still doing chemo and was hoping that was why I seem to look so old.  Sounds like this is not temporary?  Oh well.  I look in the mirror and think I am so glad I don't feel as bad as I look.  Claire, I have no idea what you mean about proportion, I think you must be blessed with a good eye for fashion.  I have no clue on fashion, in fact when I watch that show called "what not to wear" I am often thinking I like the stuff they put in the trash.  I wish you lived here so we could shop :)

• elaineg
    elaineg Member Posts: 85
    Options

I am adding this to my favorite topics, maybe I will learn something that makes me look fab !!

• lago
    Options
    elaineg you're cracking me up. Come down to Chicago some time. I'll shop with you. I'm not a fashion designer but I am (an over-educated) designer.
  • jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

So, we should all apply to What Not To Wear as BC survivor club!

I think Stacey and Clinton would like that!

Jan

• barbe1958
    Options

I actually had that suggestion about 18 months ago and emailed the show. They did do a survivor I hear, but she was ashamed of her flatness and didn't embrace it. That wasn't quite the image I wanted them to portray so I'm glad I didn't see the show!

• lago
    Options

Barbe I had to embrace my flatness before BC until my 40's when my A flats tuned into full A small B. Who knows if the implants don't work I might have to go backwards again. ;-)

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

elaineg.....I mean that when butts were given out, I got the extra-generous model.  Thus, without a lot of bushy hair, everything is out of balance with some clothes.

As for your complexion, I wouldn't worry at this time.  My skin is a bit more dry now than prior to diagnosis, but it is clear and looks great.  I just need to moisturize more.  This probably would have happened anyway.

Ruth recommended a makeover post treatment.  I second that one.  In fact, I would do more than one.  I would do the first once brows and lashes grow in, and then again about six months later.  There are all sorts of tricks to enhance our good features.

I learned about 20 years ago that make up experts are my friends.  True, I end up buying products, but I also learned you waste a lot less money when you buy flattering stuff for your skin type.  Plus, you look fab.

That should be an expectation.

Plus getting outdoors, eating a reasonably decent diet, and having fun in life.

Anyway, hang in there.  You will feel a lot perkier post chemo, and your skin will recover.  You will then be able to figure the rest out.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    Options

Just found this thread.  And I've been on tamoxifen 2 years.  People are still amazed and think I am in my 30s, even though I just turned 50 and I see new wrinkles every year.  I really was stressed out about some of them about a year ago.  However, this past summer, I really was vigilant about using sunscreen and not exposing my face to much sun at the beach and I honestly saw no changes, my skin looks as good as or better than last year.  I've tried different face creams too, and I drink tons of water and eat tons of fruits and veggies and mostly avoid the bad fats and carbs and rarely go near fast food or anything processed.  I haven't had to ever color my hair yet either and I keep it somewhat long.  When I look at pictures where my hair was shorter, I think it made me look more aged.  Not smoking and working out regularly will help also.

Oh and I had permanent eyeliner tatooed on upper and lower lids about a year and a half ago, a very fine line.  I hated how I looked without eyeliner and I'm so happy with the results.  Eyeliner was getting difficult to apply with drooping eyeskin and most eyeliners were starting to irritate my eyes for the year or two prior to getting this done.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    Options

Ahhhh, I really think chemo aged me as well. But the effects weren't quite as lasting as the effects of losing my estrogen with the hysterectomy/ooph I had last year. Within a couple months I could see the sag in my jaw line. I have found a few products that help (although not cure) this:

Drink, drink, drink. I am horrible about my fluid intake! Days when I drink plenty of water not only help my skin, but help my lymphedema as well. Multiple benefits to staying hydrated besides those two!

Mychelle skin care products. They can be found online or at places like Whole Foods or New Seasons market. Actually, the best prices though are at VitaCost.com... and that is not just for Mychelle, but for a lot of other products too.

Coconut oil. Really. This oil has so many different uses that I have quickly become a big fan. Not only does it help plump up my face, but it has worked wonders on my scars. It is all natural, pleasant... and if you need its help... ummm... in the bedroom too - it is great there (although Yes products from Great Britain are my favorite in that category). 

Well, I am glad I am not the only one. I am saving my $$ for thermage or laser tightening or something... I am in my 40's and now look it. Before my hysterectomy I looked 10 years younger than my age. Now, although I am told otherwise, I feel I simply look my age. These products are helping knock some of the years off, but I think it is safe to say I will never go back to normal!

Oh, and one last recommendation from one of my friends that has also had hyst/ooph is the use of Flax seed and/or flax seed oil. She said it has helped her skin tremendously, although I have not tried it yet. Guess I had better get on it!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    Options

For estrogen positive gals flax-seed is problematic; it produces a pseudo-estrogen effect. I avoid it, and wouldn't purposely add it to my diet Frown.

• Nordy
    Options

Ruthbru - I did not know this! I have heard of this with Soy (but recent studies say that is safe). I will have to look more into it. I do not know if my friend was ER positive or not! I will try to find out! Thank you for the info.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Origins is paraben, pthalate and a bunch of other yucky ingredient free as well. They have many products that I love and they will give you free samples in store. 

• barbe1958
    Options

Be careful with soy if they are referring back to the only China study! If you are brought up eating soy every day of your life it can be a bc deterrant. BUT if you all of a sudden introduce it into your diet as an adult it can cause bc!!!

• Nordy
    Options

Barbe - in all honesty I would be more concerned about Soy or any food for that matter, that is genetically engineered by Monsanto than I would about naturally grown soy... And these days there are companies trying to genetically engineer salmon. SO, is it really the food or all the crap that the food companies do to it that have adverse effects, which sometimes take years to identify???

• agada
    agada Member Posts: 26
    Options

Now that you mentioned it I have noticed more lines in my face in the last year.  My doctor said that was normal, and if you have chemo you get more lines.  I would love a facelift at this point but money is very tight right now and my savings have been depleted.  So much for my face lift :-)

laser resurfacing is supposed to be good and cheaper that a facelift.  I will not do botox since it is the most toxic poinson we have on the plantet. I know its diluted but I am afraid to take the chance.  If someone does get laser resurfacing let me know what happens.

Agada

• barbe1958
    Options

Agada, I have had a lot of botox injected in my back as nerves blocks with no harm. I was getting 18 needles each treatment. Each treatment used up 3 vials. That was the most you could inject into someone at one time. I kidded the doc about putting it in my brows. He said I can put it here for free (my back) or there (my face) for a couple thousand dollars. I chose my back.

Nordy, it would be good if soy were altered to not have plant estrogens in them. I'm pretty sure the organic ones would be the worst ones for you.

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    Options

barbe, Nordy, Ruthbru, anyone - I've asked on a few different boards and gotten no answers - Does anyone know what the deal is with soy and parabens and estrogenics if you are triple negative? I can't find any information. I would think it would be OK, but I also think my triple neg BC was caused by all the fertility drugs I took that ramped up my estrogen levels (no proof of course and the drug companies aren't saying anything).

So TNs - soy or no? flax or no? parabens or no?

• lago
    Options

minxie keep in mind that you can get a new breast cancer that is very different from your first. I would think staying away from HRT, keeping your weight down and anything else that can lower your estrogen might not be such a bad idea even fore triple negatives.

Not saying you will get a new breast cancer but we are at a slightly higher risk than the general public now that we have 1 diagnosis of bc.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,508
    Options

I know that when I look in the mirror I see "old"...but thats maybe because I see my mother when I look in the mirror...now she looks great for her age!!! But I'm sure I don't look as old to others than I do to myself, especially when I have makeup on...I've always had dark circles under my eyes...and "bags" even as a younster...when I was dating my husband in college, he once asked how I got the black eye!!! No black eye at all....just my dark circles....my mother has them as did her mother.....I talk to the make up consultants, but they aren't always on the same page as me....I am a minimalist when it comes to make-up....use eye concealer, tinted moisturizer, eye shadow, mascara and when I remember lipstick....I don't dye my hair even though I have lots of grey as I find it more of a bother to think about all the upkeep...I just got my hair trimmed last Sunday...try to let the layers grow out and keep it all chin length to shoulder length....I wear "ball" caps or berets all the time, so wanted a style that would look good with them...I had been keeping my hair short as it has thinned and gotten so fine....such a contrast after having coarse hair for 50 years!!! Even the hair stylest commented last week how soft my hair is.....funny...when my hair came in after chemo...it came back thick and curly and pretty much stayed that way till 2 years after starting AI's...then it went straight and started thinning....from June 2008 at my daughters college graduation to Oct 2008, I went from shoulder length thick curly hair to mid back straight, stringy hair.....my gf sometime hair stylest cut it in the cutest short cut....and told me that I didn't have the hair anymore to have it long.....BUT, generally, I am okay how I look and in some of my outfits, I feel pretty darn good....I've bought some of those newer skirts that fit closer to the hits and have a bit of a "wave" in the skirt and are just below the knee....I love how they look and feel....plus I generally wear cardigans done up so I don't tuck anything in...and that helps keep the "paunch" that I have regained......and in some ways, I don't mind looking my age...54...but I don't want to look older than I am!!!!  I'm proud to be a middle age mom of a middle schooler....oh well, I think I have lost track of the thread and been rambling too long!!!  Hugs :)

• Nordy
    Options

Barbe - Sorry. I have to disagree with you on this one. Altering our food sources is of great controversy and I stand on the side that says, "Do NOT alter!" When scientists start messing around with natural whole foods it never ends up pretty (see The Omnivore's Dilemma (although the kid's version of this book is much more entertaining), The China Study, Food Inc, In Defense of Food - just for a start). So, in this line of thinking we will have to agree to disagree, because I am pretty certain I would never be able to change your mind and I know for a fact that you will never change mine! Also, when I talked to my oncologist about eating soy (not taking as a supplement) he said that the phytoestrogen like properties could never even come close to what my body used to make when I had ovaries. 

http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/everyone/nutrition/foods/soy.jsp

Anyway, ladies, sorry to venture off topic here. I know the thread was about aging. So: Hydrate, use paraben/pthalate free products when possible - Origins & Mychelle are just 2 examples, and save up for laser treatments! (Oh, wait, the last one was just for me! Wink

My motto: Shop the perimeter of the store, Buy Local, Eat Fresh, Eat Organic when possible. Know your farmer. Know where your food comes from. (Maybe I need to change my signature line!)