Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

so far, so good....no blotches yet!

• CrazyKitties
    CrazyKitties Member Posts: 58
    Options

I just use tan in a tube, no spray tan, and i wear a 30spf tinted moisturizer every day. I look like a broken down old broad right now, oh well!!!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Always was taken for 10-15 younger years than I was -------now thank you BC anf Ai's ----Not

• AjaLou
    AjaLou Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yes, I too feel that I have aged since having BC.  DCIS stage 0.  My lumpectomy was in Oct. followed by radiation.  I am 64 (not too old) but when I look in the mirror feeling like I have aged more.  Thought it was my imagination but now I know it isn't since other people say the same. I also fear every little pain I have anywhere is from cancer which makes me very depressed.

• fighter33
    fighter33 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello ladies--i am 35 years old and have just completed 6 rounds of chemo (no rad) on April 21st...today i look worst now than i did two months ago!!

I have now lost all my eyebrows and eyelashes, which really doesn't bother me that much b/c i know they are going to grow back...but I also have HUGE dark circles around my eyes...they are so dark...it almost looks like i have two black eyes...i look so scary...i have to apply a ton of make-up to just look decent...this is really depressing me...

has anyone had this experience with the dark ciricles...what did you do? do they go away eventually? 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

fighter33 I did not have chemo but I am sure someone will chime in to help you out.

• desdemona222b
    desdemona222b Member Posts: 90
    Options

Philosophy has wonderful skin care and makeup products that make you look much more youthful.  I particularly like the Supernatural line - I use the flawless base tinted moistuizer and there is also a pinkish tinted moisturizer (BARELY pink)  that is translucent - both are very moisturizing.  I'm 57, and I have not been able to wear foundation of any kind in years because of my dry skin.  These products are truly different and they last a long time if you're concerned about the price.  Another great one is When Hope is Not Enough moisturizer.

• Cyborg
    Cyborg Member Posts: 192
    Options

I also have some darkness around my eyes and hope it will go away when this is done. I think the experience takes a toll on our soul and the worrying about our future does too. At least us wireless know that we will be diligent about our health care ! I like the Bobby Brown care line. I have a really moisturizing foundation from them with sunscreen and have also heard sone good things about Philosophy. Planning on going to the gym for a short time today. I haven't been since March.

• fighter33
    fighter33 Member Posts: 9
    Options

hello ladies, thanks so much for your words of encouragement.

love+blessings 

• ruthbru
    Options

Have you ever done a 'Look Good, Feel Better' event? It is sponsered by the American Cancer Society and your clinic should also have information. You have a couple hour session with make up/hair experts and they give you tons of tips on how to wear makeup, how to wear cool headwear etc. to keep you looking good during all of this. Plus they give you several hundred dollars worth of really good, high end makeup. It is all FREE.

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    Options

Sure did, ruthbru, and here in Canada you can take along a friend, although they don't get the goodies.   I have recommended this to a friend going through chemo for lymphoma out in Alberta as you learn some neat tricks but also it gets you in touch with other ladies going through cancer so you can see you are really not alone, the support for each other was awesome and was just what I needed at the time. 

• ruthbru
    Options

It is really a wonderful thing. It is the best right when you are starting out, but I brought along a friend who was done with everything except Herception. She didn't think she'd 'count'!! "OMG," said I, "come with me, of course you 'count'....you have more than paid your dues!!" She had a great time and got the free makeup and some good tips that anybody could use to look good.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Concealer for under the eyes.  Plus a good liner to draw the eye upwards.

I think that problem will correct itself once your red cell counts go back up.

One benefit of this whole experience is that I am ever so much better with makeup, especially liner and brow pencil.

Isn't makeup wonderful!!!  (If you don't believe this, there are pictures of some of the stars w/o.  Hardly the same stellar specimins you see on the silver screen.) - Claire

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Fighter33:  you sure look great from what I can see Wink  The dark circles did go away for me and I am 4 1/2 months post 6 rounds of TAC.  It gets better!

as for skin: I knew I was in for it as there is no disputing the estrogen-collagen connection.   Before this all started I was still getting carded for wine!   No more, girls, no more...!  BC-the gift that just keeps on giving! 

• ruthbru
    Options
    Have to frequent darker bars Wink
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I look like a hooker when I line my eyes....sigh. Even if I just do where the lashes are. My girls can do dramatic black lines and look very chique. I look cheap.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    Options

I have the dark circles as well.  I pat concealer (a shade or 2 lighter than foundation) over the dark rings. 

Also, don't wear dark eyeliner on your bottom lash line.  Use something soft (like a thin line of matte brown eyeshadow), or nothing at all...I see SO many women cake the liner on the bottom (to make up for lost lashes) and it just draws more attention to it. 

Eyeliner is meant to enhance the eyelash line, and frame the eye.  So if you follow the lash line with the liner on the top, and a softer color at the bottom....it makes the eye pop. 

Ringing it in dark black or brown doesn't do that imo. 

• Sherryc
    Options

No one has been on here in quiet awhile.  Thought it was appropriate that this is about physical appearance that I broke my front tooth eating a cherry last Thursday.  My Dentist was out on Friday so Tomorrow I get to go get it fixed.  Can't wait.  I hate being a snaggle toothe.

• Unknown
    Options

My crepe paper skin on my arms now looks like alligator hide  because I have been getting a lot of sun working in the yard. My eyebrows are getting very sparse so I guess I am going to get to try some of those tips they gave us at Look Good, Feel Better for drawing them on. Remaining hair seems to be holding on and what is left is very white.  Oddly enough, I am really not too concerned about any of this.  Are you eating cherry pits, Sherry? 

• Sherryc
    Options

Marybe the cherrys were whole fresh and i thought I was being careful in bitting into it but not so much. 

Sounds like the class is going to come in handy for you. the tops of my thighs look like crepe paper so I have been keeping sunscreen on them to keep them from looking worse. 

• Monty
    Options

I was lucky enough to take a week vacation last week while we had the gorgeous weather here in Ontario.  Got to spend the whole week out doors doing my favourite thing - gardening.  I transformed my backyard into my idea of a backyard oasis - 5 yards of gravel and 2 yards of additional rocks and pebbles, many yards of landscaping material etc.  When the stone was delivered I almost had a heart attack at the mountain on the driveway, and wondered if I had taken on too big a task for me to handle alone, but 1 week later and everything was done. 

The exercise made me feel so much better, my upper body muscles look more like they used to, the tan is great and I feel so proud of my achievements - I felt like I was pre cancer again!!!!! 

Unfortunately it;s back to work this week - why do good things always have to come to an end?

Love to all, Gaynor

• Unknown
    Options
    Ok, here is a pic of my head.....actually my hair is OK if I am around short people, but sadly the majority of the world is over 5'2", but you know what I still am not going to wear a wig until I absolutely have to and by then with any luck I will be not working cuz I want to qualify for SS disability.  I fought it for years and now all of a sudden, I am finding time to be more important than a pay check. I think this is how most men go bald....the crown first. Note that it is getting tan up there.
  • barbe1958
    Options

You're right Marybe, it is tan. It would be weird looking in bright pink! Strangely it looks healthy this way. I think this is the more forgiving way to have thin hair. I have a co-worker who's hair is thinning at the front too, and she is a brunette with a bright pink scalp! You really notice it on hers. But in all fairness, we only notice when it's pointed out to us.

I'm glad you're coming around to SS. I fought going on SHORT term disability and now that I'm off, I wonder how I even went to work!!! It is amazing how much energy I spent just trying to be normal. I'm still sleeping 12 hours a night and I've been off for almost a month. Holy cow. How the heck did I get anything done before?? Was I walking around in a coma?

• Sherryc
    Options

marybe I am 5'3" so we could hang and I would not notice the top of your head.  It is strange that you are getting a tan, maybe you should wear sunblock, don't get burned.  I too am glad you are coming around to SS, my SIL waited until the very end to apply for hers.  Looking from the outside i wondered why she did not do it sooner but then again she said going to work for her was giving her something to look forward to each morning.  She really only worked part time because of all of her treatments.  She worked for a school district and all the other employees donated all their sick time to her the three years that she battled BC.  I guess everyone has to deal with it their own way, but for you I am glad you came to this decision.

• barbe1958
    Options

Sherry, that is truly amazing that others donated sick time for your SIL!!! How heart-warming is that? I don't know if I could have done that as I tend to usually need it.

• Unknown
    Options

It may look more tan in the pic than it actually is, but I am tan.  I have been getting quite a bit of sun working out in the yard and they did not caution me to stay out of the sun so I enjoying it.  I remember one time I was on an antibioitc and got a bad sunburn, but in general I tan and I like to be tan and feel better. You know what I am talking about Gaynor.  It is a famer's tan since I am out there in a shirt, not a bathing suit, but that's OK. Sherry, Maybe your sister got a lot of pleasure out of being able to work and hopefully was not sorry she waited too late to apply.....I really do love my job and coworkers, just think it is time.  Honestly, if they would pay me under the table I would sub if they ever needed me and I was available.  Listen to me talking like I already have it.  I am worried I might not even be able to get it now that I want it.

Onco told me absolutely nothing today which was what I expected.  Got treatment, Xgeva, and go back tomorrow for neulasta....oh and he had them run a CA27;29 so I will be hoping they went down again,more this time.    I had him feel that lump which he had said before is not a lipoma as the PA said way back I forget when, Jan?, Feb?   He said he didnt think it was larger and I said it IS.....it is and now it moves, that is palpable right?  He did admit it is hard and did not recall that from before.  So of course he then said the scans will show it if it anything.   I showed him the letter where the ins said they will not pay for cell searches....I cannot understand this becasue they did before, but they are saying some cancer board says it is not a test that is needed in metastatic BC.  Without ins I could not live, but it is a PIA. 

• Monty
    Options

Marybe, I sure do get the tan thing.  Actually I did where a bikini top while gardening but I made sure to wear sunscreen too, then we went for a boat ride at the weekend and I was wearing a tank top so it spoil the tan somewhat, made more of a farmers tan but still any tan is better than none, right!  I agree that having a tan does make you feel better. 

Sorry to hear about your problems with insurance.  While we do have some medical coverage here in Ontario not everything is covered as I found out last year when the onc wanted me to start with Zometa, but it isn't considered a standard of care here so the insurance would not cover it, guess I will have to wait till osteoporosis sets in then I should be OK, go figure, surely it's better to treat and prevent than wait for the full blown thing, but I guess the insurance doesn't see it that way?

• barbe1958
    Options

Marybe maybe your work WOULD pay you cash if you subbed. Have you talked to them? I would certainly rather have someone that knows the office/procedures to work a day or two than try to bring in a temp from an agency....

• Unknown
    Options

A bikini top.....OH NO!!!....I will spare my neighbors that!   I am going to stay and talk to my boss tonight about the sub thing....am pretty sure you are only allowed to do it so many times before they have to fill out a W2 for you....that goverment doesn't skip a beat when it comes to taking our money.  Off to the mines now.  Have a great day all.   Think young and beautiful cuz we are!!

• barbe1958
    Options

We are!!