Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• Fearless_One
    Fearless_One Member Posts: 905
    Options

Clyn, I never spent big bucks on my "treats", either.   A new lipstick or nail polish made me feel happy and pretty.

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

After every chemo tx I would stop by the jeweler and pick up a new Pandora charm for my bracelet. It made the experience a tad less dreadful, and actually looked forward to it.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

When I went to Look Good Feel Better I noticed when I got home...probably 75% of the cosmetics had parabens and phthylates in them. So disappointed.....I gave them away:(     Learned some great makeup tricks and even scarf wearing for the bald days.

Sherrill- love the Pandora idea. Going to try to work that in to some type of reward for me. Maybe every 5 lbs lost, or something like that.

Joni

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

The words for the nail things are Onchyolysis, Onchomadesis and Beaus lines. You can google them. It's been to long for me to give a proper definition. Once you see pics, you'll know which ones applied to you.

Marybe you looked great bald---------it's all in the smile. You could be that girl on Star TREk.

• Unknown
    Options

SAS,  Is there an old girl on Star Trek....actually the hair is going, but not all that fast, maybe it will just get thin like one of the women on the halaven thread's did.  I went to the nail site....yep, that is exactly what mine looked like...didn't get the lines, but they certainly did get yellow like that and they lifted up and would ooze...both hands and feet, but the toenails are the ones that have still not recovered and it's been almost two years now.They still look dry and brittle , but are now white. The big toenails are the worse and I do not think they will ever go back to looking normal.  My thumbnails have about 1/8 of an inch to go.  One thing I will say, these nails are strong, hard as a rock and difficult to trim

At this stage of the game, I do not care about Parabens and phthylates.  I only use certain things anyway, but do not look at ingredients.  Like Clinique Al about Eyes and their repairwear and tinted moisturizer and I like my Channel lipstick for when and if I wear any at all, and eye makeup, well, I just go for texture and color more with it than a brand.  I plan on sharing the free stuff I get tomorrow with my friends.  Yesterday I went to a breast cancer program where Marisa Weiss, founder of BC.org  spoke along with some other oncologists and researchers, and if you stayed away from all the things that are bad for you, we would not be living in my opinion. 

They say you can't microwave things in plastic, have to be careful what sort of plastic waterbottle you have, all sorts of bad things out there.

However, I am going to end the love affair I have been having with food for the last few months...fast food has become my best friend and I think it is time to go back to WW since summer is approaching.....however, that sleeveless top I was so excited about buying is going back.  

Have a beautiful day, beautiful women. 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

I might be a little over cautious now with ingredients. I never looked at labels before bc. But now I read everything. And yes, you have to pick and choose how important it is for you. Personally, I feel like I'm living,now, more than ever. I feel good about the changes I've made in what I put on my skin. Definitely not a health nut, but love being aware of what I'm using.

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    Options

Marybe-  I certainly hated the way I looked bald.  I would scare myself when I walked by a mirror.  I kept wondering who that old man was!  Anyway I have a theory about looks and baldness.  I never wore much makeup pre BC.  But now I do wear foundation and eyeliner and mascara.  When I really emphasize my eyes people tell me I look great.  I am convinced that a bald head with made up eyes is the way to go !

As you can see from my avatar my hair has returned.  But still get compliments on my looks with the eyeliner on.

• Unknown
    Options

And big earrings help also.  Wow, your hair has really grown, JFV if you were bald.  I am not saying it isn't good to be cautious, jacee, I just don't think additives caused any of my problems and they add so much crap to just about everything these days, that is really difficult to avoid potential toxins.  Also, I am lazy. 

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    Options

I have had OVCA stage 4 and BC two times (2006-2008)with bilateral masc.

I do look a lot older than I did 8 yrs ago, (dx2003 with ovca)but I am 61. I do hate the aging but try to accept it.

One comment/question. Do any of you think stress can cause or attribute to recurrance??. My husband and I wanted to take a very high stress couples job(wokring as managers in retirement facility) 48-60 hrs a week and live in-house. the training made me fearful that I would recur?? so we did not finish and are home now.

any comments are appreciated.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I said this on another post. To be stressed is a human condition. When animals get stressed they die. Humans need stress to grow, learn, improve, enjoy, animate, increase, etc all parts of their lives. Those people that live to 110? Notice they live in the mountains with no electricity! Stress is normal, if you aren't stressed you aren't living and growing and experiencing life. Animals live by rote, humans don't. I thrive on stress and I still got cancer, so there!

But, on the other hand, if the thought of having ADDITIONAL stress stresses you out...don't do it. IMHO

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

bestock, I do think there's something to the stress connection, at least for some of us.  Not that stress per se causes bc, but that chemicals like adrenaline that are dumped into our systems when we're under stress upset our natural hormone/chemical balance and wreak havoc with our immune systems.  I agree with Barbe that stress like ordinary job stress or just too much to do is a natural part of living for most of us, but I think it's David Servan-Schreiber (author of Anti-Cancer, A New Way Of Life) who suggests that it's the kind of stress over which we have no control that's the most harmful.    

Something I've noticed since bc tx, is that even though I don't sweat a lot of the small stuff as much, my frustration tolerance level with complex things that seem to be beyond my control is very low, and I'm more easily stressed over certain situations that would not have stressed me in the past -- if that makes sense.  

It sounds like your gut was wisely saying "no" to that job opportunity, perhaps partly because your housing would have been tied into the deal, so if you weren't happy there, you might have been inclined to feel stuck in the situation.    Deanna

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    Options

Marybe-  Yes I was completely bald.  I lost my hair June 2010 to dear old chemo.  It was really humid when that picture was taken and my hair looked like a bunch of brown corkscrews on the top of my head !   I had a wave prior to chemo but wore a short bob and blew dry my hair everyday.   So, this is the new me.  As far as the earrings go I agree !  I always wore tiy earrings prior to being bald and now I look for big dangly ones when I shop !  I hope this 'round of chemo is easy on you and stops those little cancer cells right in their tracks !  How is your hair doing ?

The whole stress/ exercise/ lifestyle issue has me confused.  I certainly understand that a healthy pleasant life helps a healthy immune system and that is my goal.  But,  I don't want to have avoided some potentially great things in life because I was worried it would trigger a recurrence.  Having said that I do need to develop some habits to manage stress.

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options

Yoga is good for stress!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

wenweb I agree Yoga is great for stress!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

There was something in the news that reported that Yoga was better than plain stretching. It was just in the last few days, Can't remember where though----------google it.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

All sorts of exercises are good for relieving stress; both mentally, and using some of the 'fight or flight' hormones for a good cause (fitness and health)!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

MD Anderson Cancer Center has just been given a huge grant to study the healing effects of yoga on BC patients recovering from surgery.  Thought that was interesting. I did yoga before and after my surgery and through rads treatment.  When the RO did my CT scan for my boost they could no longer see my seroma.  It had completely healed. That was 3 1/2 months post surgery

• Fearless_One
    Options

OMG, I just tried a new color on my hair and I look REALLY aged now.   I am so depressed.   I usually use extra light golden brown and went with light brown which turned medium/flat/dark brown with no highlights.   It was Natural Instincts...

Should I just wash it several times to try to get it out, or is there something I can buy?   Cry

I look really bad right now - I have super pale skin and this does not help.  

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

Fearless -- So sorry that happened to you.  It's amazing how hair color can make such a difference. I had 2 ideas when I saw your problem.  Unless the medium brown is just the wrong choice (like too warm or cool) for your skin tone, I'm wondering if you or a stylist could add a lot of highlights, so that the darker shade becomes just a base color. Otherwise, maybe ask at a beauty supply store if there's something that will take out the type of color you used.      Deanna

• Fearless_One
    Options

Deanna, that is a good idea.   I think some highlights might take away from the wicked-witch-of-the-West look, especially if they are a little warm.   I guess I need to stick to warm tones in the future. 

I was trying to give myself a confidence boost since my mastectomy and I guess it backfired! 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

Get thee to a beautican!

• Fearless_One
    Options

Thee can't afford that.    It will be okay.   It is semi-permanent, so I will just keep washing it, it will fade.   I just have to be patient, will take a few weeks.   Is very harsh looking against my pale skin.

• MariannaLaFrance
    MariannaLaFrance Member Posts: 166
    Options

Fearless One,

I have done that before. I went to a salon years ago and asked for dark hair (I'm a natural light brown/honeyblonde) and left the salon feeling terrible! Just keep washing, and I am sure a little bit of vinegar rinse at the end of each shampoo will probably pull the color shade down a notch.  Sorry to hear, but you will look beautiful when it tones down. Don't worry! Nothing in this life is permanent!!! 

• Unknown
    Options

Some of my dye jobs faded into shades that I really liked....ah, those were the days.  I am fortunate I didn't end up bald way back when, all the stuff I did to my hair.  I am both horrified and fascinated by the skin on my arms...it is not just wrinkles, it is crinkles....sure I can plump it up by hydrating and lots of moisturizer, but it's there and most definitely is not going to get any better since the road ahead is always going to be some form of chemo.  But really it isn't upsetting me as much as I find it just really amazing....keep going around to people (not total strangers) and saying Look at this!  Hair continues to fall out and am hoping the beautician gets back to me today and can get me in for a really short buzz....am wearing the scarves now just to maintain the fallout.  

• barbe1958
    Options

{{{{{{{{{{{ Marybe }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633
    Options

I think something happened to my hair after it grew (and not much yet!) back in after chemo....like it's more porous.  Like you, I colored my hair with a medium brown semi permanent color, like I used to do (before chemo), only left it on half the time the directions said and it came out BLACK! Now, a month later, I'm still waiting for it to fade - Yikes. Like you, it makes me look washed out unless I at least take three minutes in the morning to put on a tinted facial lotion and add a dab of cheek color.  It does help. Maybe go to one of those hair supply warehouse places and see if they have a solution to strip semi-permanent colour?

• Fearless_One
    Options

Yes!   It does seem more porous since chemo.   I will try the vinegar rinses like Marianna suggested, I think it will fade.   Thank God I didn't use permanent.    I can always add highlights if I have to, to take away from the harshness of the color.

• barbe1958
    Options
    I recently used a dye (don't know if it was permanent or semi....huh...Undecided) of a blond colour, hoping to dye my grays blonde and keep my dark, brown. Now all my hair is a dark, dark blonde...go figure! So, maybe if you re-dyed it with a light blond, it will strip some of the dye off. I just used a $5 box.
  • Fearless_One
    Options

Ok, it's fading a bit....went from a dark, inky brown to a medium ash brown.   It's a more normal color now, but I still need something to brighten me up.   I don't want to be a blonde, but maybe just some highlights.  

Anyone try that Loreal colour experte kit?

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

This little eyebrow kit, no longer available at Walgreens is absolutely awesome.  only 4 bucks.  It looks so natural and you can actually brush on little hairs.. or what looks like hairs.

http://www.nonpareilboutique.com/makeup--eyes--eyebrow-enhancers--wet-n-wild-ultimate-brow-kit.html