Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

Marybe.. you could just wear a scarf as a headband in some way.. looks cool, is cool and even if people see the bald no one cares.

My daughter has some interesting and flattering products.. tinted moisterizer that actually makes one look good,  sparkly nail polish (which we save for special occasions) and this awesome highlighter that is a white reflective powder suspended in a lotion from ELF.. only one dollar.. she is always up at the grocer's in the makeup aisle  the ELF display. I put this hilighter all around my eyes as a foundation.. looks awesome and covers up the dark circles I get from drinking Jack Daniels... (I wish)  

don't drink the hard stuff.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Marybe I have a brother that has had dissabilty for mental illness and it seems I remember that he could work some during the time he was drawing dissability.  It was limited but it did give him some extra money.  I think they look at it as a trying to get back out there kinda thing.  You may want to ask about it.

• MariannaLaFrance
    MariannaLaFrance Member Posts: 166
    Options

Wanted to see if any of you ladies had heard of this. My nutritionist gave me Vitamin A, miscellized, derived from Pollack oil and Zinc 30 IU. Within 1 day of taking this combination, my skin looked 10 years younger. I am not kidding.

I know that I can't take Vitamin A (fat soluable) for long periods of time, but the results were amazing. I am thinking of adding this into my routine every 8 weeks to "bump" up the condition of my skin. It even makes the creases recede a little bit, it's that amazing. Wish I could take it all the time.

Anyone here tried this?

• Sherryc
    Options

Marianna sounds wonderful think I should try it.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Is it a cream or a pill?

• Unknown
    Options

Oh shit....CA 27/29 is 3,173.9....last time it was 2,635.   I got my shot of neulasta and was talking to nurse and said I just don't know what to think...have been worried since hair stopped falling out.  She asked what Cody says and I said he never says anything, but make SURE HE SEES THIS.  I will still get scans but am not hoping for anything good to show.  Now must go post on Halaven thread and my thread about tumor makers.  Know this is not the proper thread, but wanted to let you all know. 

• barbe1958
    Options

Why can't someone have Vitamin A?

Breast cancer took my breasts, but not my sense of humour!

• MariannaLaFrance
    Options

That's something I asked my nutritionist. He pointed to several studies that proved that Vitamin A was not a risk for breast cancer patients, though there was a study which pointed to Vitamin A exhibiting growth properties for skin cancer.  As far as long term usage, we have a "limit" to how much Vitamin A we can withstand, so it's not a good supplement to take long term.

The Vit A I take is GNLD brand, and the Zinc is by Designs for Health.  I see a lot of this combination on the Acne.org boards, but never here.

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options

The mention zinc is interesting.  I work for an ophthalmologist who administers Botox.  She has recently been recommending to patients (who are finding that the Botox doesn't "hold them" for the entire 3 months between injections) that they take zinc 4 days prior to getting their Botox for the express reason of enhancing its effect.  In addition there is also a new prescription which is zinc based that serves the same purpose.  Both of these options is for people who receive Botox for medically necessary purposes, but there has to be a connection between zinc, the skin, and the muscles.

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    Options

A friend of mine recommended zinc tablets for my son when he was suffering with "teenage spots".  I bought him at the local health food store and it really did work, apparently it helps to clean the toxins out of your blood.  When I mentioned this to my mom in the UK she said that this was a very old remedy she remembered using when she was a teenager too.  More recently a friend was going on vacation and had terrible acne type spots on his back, he tried the zinc tablets - and guess what it cleared up the problem right away, takes about 2 weeks to really kick in but the results are amazing.

• barbe1958
    Options

The baby diaper rash stuff is zinc....makes sense!

• Sherryc
    Options

Been a long time since anyone posted and I had something I wanted to share about organic cocount oil.  I know that we have discussed this on this thread before and it't benefits.  Anyway my DS and DIL were visiting from Seattle.  It has been two years since we have seen them.  My DIL commented on how great my skin was looking and wanted to know what I had been doing.  It is the coconut oil.  I started using it on my face around January and I knew that it was helping me but did not realize how much.  

• MariannaLaFrance
    Options

Sherry,

I use it as well, and constantly get comments on my skin since I've started on Coconut oil.  I consider it "my beauty secret", after years of suffering from acne, blotchiness, and pregnancy induced melasma.  My skin tone looks really nice, and I notice if I don't use it for a day or two. I use it in tandem with Apricot oil, and my skin tone has never looked better! Well, maybe it did look better in my 20s, but it certainly is improved! 

• Monty
    Options

Glad to see ladies are back on here posting, I was missing our beauty talks.  I have decided against any juvaderm treatments etc for now.  I finally got the OK results from the thyroid tests and everything is back in normal ranges which is what I was waiting for before making any decisions about cosmetic surgery.  However, I have decided to try coconut oil instead as you ladies appear to have fabulous results/  I will let you know how it goes, how long did it take before you started seeing results?

• Sherryc
    Options

Monty I have started using on my legs as well and the top of my thighs have aging due to sun bathing as a youngster.  Anyway been using it about 1 month now and am starting to see an improvement.

• LaughterHelps
    LaughterHelps Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have aged at least 10 years in the last year. Thought I was the only one with this problem, glad to know it's not just me. When I had my reconstuction surgery in April I gave myself a present and had my eyelids done at the same time. Looked great for 3 months and then I had a heart attack, cardiac catheterization with stent placement. All that money on the eyes down the drain! Between the BC diagnosis, the heart attack, stress, depression, and constant anxiety - I can hardly stand to look in the mirror anymore. I'm preparing for my daughter's wedding next month and sure wish I could go back in time and look like I did prior to diagnosis, even if just for that one special day!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

Pay and have your makeup applied by an expert. They can work (temporary) wonders.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

I agree with ruth, you are worth it for that one day especially!!!

• lifelover
    lifelover Member Posts: 263
    Options

Oooohhhh, I think I'll join this thread.  It looks fun!

After surgery and chemo my skin is more wrinkled now than it was 6 months ago.   I look too old for my youngish age (50  Smile ).   I have darker bags under my eyes and my eyes are puffy in the morning.  I also lost my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes during chemo.

My new beauty regime is applying jojoba oil to my scalp which has about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of new growth on it and to my face.  I've also been using a good moisturizer on my face made by Benefit that I love - it's soothing and doesn't irritate my skin or cause me to break out.  Benefit has a cream that bleaches dark circles under eyes that I also use and love. 

During chemo I was too uncomfortable to wear my wig or make-up most of the time.  Now that the weather is cooler here and chemo and most of the side-effects are over I have started wearing my wig and putting on make-up.  The wig and make-up help my self-esteem and confidence as I get back into going out into the world again.

I got a bag of fab cosmetics and make-up at the "Look Good Feel Better" workshop I attended during chemo.  I now put liner on so that my eyes don't look so bare without eyelashes and I put a light dusting of brown eyeshadow where my eyebrows used to be.  I am so much happier with the way I look.  The cosmeticians at the workshop taught me the correct way to apply everything to my face - for my specific features as well.

OK, I'll stop rambling now.  Please keep your tips and stories coming Ladies.  It really helps!!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options
    For my daughters wedding I spoiled myself and had my makeup done.It was so worth it I actually had full eyelashes and eyebrows for the day.Laughing
  • Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    Options

LaughterHelps:  You certainly have had more than your share of problems during the past year.  So sorry for your troubles.  I hope your daughter's wedding will be a great day for all of you.  What a good idea to have your make-up done professionally.  I am sure it will be a boost for you.  May you have much happiness in the future.

• agada
    agada Member Posts: 26
    Options

This has probably been posted some place but there is a neat book out there called "Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls".  I had my ovaries out and  I am getting facial hair as well (yuck).  Laser anyone?  Pro makeup sounds like a good idea! good for you!

• Cyborg
    Cyborg Member Posts: 192
    Options

I have tons of facial hair since rads are over!!!

• Monty
    Options

I haven't managed to find any coconut oil yet, any ideas where we can buy it in Ontario, Canada.  My face cream I was using has run out and I really want to try the coconut oil idea since so many of one seem to have had success using it.  I am going on a girlie shopping trip to Niagara Falls and Buffalo, NY at the weekend with my BGF so may be I will find it there.  I am so looking forward to having a girlie weekend, seems like forever since the last one.

As for facial hair, I sooooo understand that one.  Olay have just brought out a new product, advertized on TV constantly, so maybe we could try that and see how it goes.  I imagine that laser treatment would be really quite expensive and I hear it can take many treatments before you see significant results, plus it's only useful for people with dark hair, so I understand.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options

I bought a bottle at BodyShop which is in most malls.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

Monty, try   www.vitaminshoppe.com   Search for Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Great prices.

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options
    Monty I'm sure that Wegman's in Buffalo will have coconut oil as well.  I buy it at my local Stop and Shop in the health food section.
  • MariannaLaFrance
    Options

I buy it at Whole Foods. I purchased the 365 brand, located in the vitamins/ skin care area.

• Monty
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for all your suggestions of stores to try.  I will make sure I purchase some at the weekend and I will let you know how it goes, sure hope it works miracles!!!!

Gaynor

• LaughterHelps
    LaughterHelps Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all for the suggestion of getting professional makeup done for my daughter's wedding. I am going to do it, great idea!  I'm just grateful to be alive and able to attend her wedding...she's my only child so this will be such a special day, I want to look the best I can and not "sick".