Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Western New York Area

Options

Comments

• janb
    janb Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi fellow WNY"S I can't believe I saw this I read often but seldom post then I say this I'm from the southern tier near Jamestown .. We just got to Florida to flee the snow for a month and I the person that never minded the snow then BC will be 3 years in Feb since my diagnose. Its good to hear from you all and if I could would send some sun .. Oh we all need a little sun stay Warm.Janet

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited February 2011
    Options

We got about 4 inches last night, they jumped the gun and closed schools last night, so the kids did get their first snowday.  Looks like Chicago got what people think of when they hear about Buffalo winters.  It is snowing quite steadily now, forecasters are calling for another 2 inches.  Some snow is forecast for Thurs., Fri., and Sat., but nothing to speak of.  We dodged another bullet. Stay warm.  Karen

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hey Karen, Agreed, got up this morning and thought, that's all?  The schools are closed for this? UB and Buff State too?  When I saw that closing I thought we were really in for bad weather.  Darling hubby is finally on the mend from the flu. He never gets sick, and I'm sleeping on the couch and far away from him. Onc put me on antibiotics anyway.  Right now seems to be really snowing outside. Janb, welcome to the wny thread!! Jamestown is a pretty area, like it a lot. can you send us some sand and sun? Phil better be right this year LOL.  I want to see the jet skis and the hot dog stands.  Any of the ladies on the site have hobbies, sewing, crafting??

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited February 2011
    Options

We actually had about 8 inches in our driveway and about 12 inches where it drifts in front of our doors and in the back yard. Snow was up to my top of my high boots .  I like the snow though. It's just tough when I need to coordinate child care. Luckily my husband was home so were all set.

I am not a crafter or into sewing, I never seemed to have the patience. But I love to walk, excercise, read, rollerblade on the bike path by UB, ski (slowly), go to Shea's..swim - go out to eat!!.

Maureen - you made mention you used to travel out to Strong, I did too about 10 years ago.  Back then they were the only place that did donor services for IVF.  Dr Queenan was my doc. We have a lovely daughter!  What did you have to travel there for..?

JanB - welcome.!!!

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

My son (4yrs. old at the time) developed seizures after a bad flu and Children's couldn't figure it out.  Ended up going to the Neurology clinic, Dr. McBride who straightened everything out.  He's now a healthy almost 18yrs. old young man graduating from HS in the spring.  Love him to death. Also have a DD who takes me to all my chemo tx. and is my rock.  Have DH who travels quite a bit but is very supportive.  I'm so lucky to have such a great family around me. I've biked the UB path but never roller bladed.  I like Shea's, last time I went was to see the Xmas show with the Rockettes, great show well worth the money. Prior to bc dx. I was walking 2 miles every night in the neighborhood.  Maybe I'll get back to that some day.  Not fast, from house to Dodge and back is 2 miles, house to bridge and back is one mile.  

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi ladies from WNY,  Its snowing and blowing right now, but its not as bad as I thought it would be.  I had to take my sister for her first Radiation atp this morning and all night I was up thinking we weren't going to make it.  It wasn't that bad at all the 90 was clear we just went a little slower.

Yes the blizzard of 77 that was a Storm, I have some great pictures of it.  We do the Shea thing and we eat out to much, but I love it.

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

HI Betty - glad your drive wasnt too bad to get to radiation. Both you and your sister have BC?

My favorite eating place...- The Left Bank- heading there for my Birthday this month!!

• kindone
    edited February 2011
    Options

Bevin, I was just to the Left Bank.  I have a gift care for there also and my brithday is Feb 10.

Happy Birthday

All four of us sisters had bc my second sister passed 2yrs ago.  She was 54.  My older sister had Dics and has been clear for 6yrs.  I was DX 3yrs ago and my youngest sister just DX at 50.  I was tested for the Gene it was neg. and no other family history.

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

The Left Bank?  Is that on Rhode Island in Buffalo?  Thinking I had a work dinner meeting there earlier in the year and the food was wonderful!! 

Betty, glad you had a good trip through the weather. I really like a little place up the road, the original Rizzo's on the corner of Dodge and New, really small place, only sits ~40-50 people unlike the larger Rizzo's. They have a really good chicken parm dinner.  DH and I can have a complete meal under 40.00 and it's close to home.

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

ok YUM - now I'm hungry and just finished dinner...Laughing, HI Maureen, yes It's on Rhode Island. Love it there.  Its not very expensive either.

Rizzo's sounds nice. I am sure my husband would love it there.  He loves chicken parm..

ah well - off to sleep soon. Believe it or not, I'm exhausted..It must be the Snow! or the shoveling...

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

yep, remember the Left Bank, great food!! You should try Rizzo's or meet me and DH in spring for dinner. It is really good.  Didn't shovel this time, hubby was home sick so he plowed the driveway, thank god, at this point in the winter, I'd pay someone to get this garbage out of the driveway. Shoveling is good exercise but I'm getting sick of this snow.  We can look forward to "in like a lion, out like a lamb" ?? maybe??  I do know my DD birthday is 2/12 and it's always snowing or really cold for her BD.  I remember on her 7th BD, I invited 20 girls over for her outdoor party, had all these activities planned and on the day of her BD, the wind chill was -30 degrees.  We moved everything inside....boy was that fun!! Foot in mouth  I can't believe she will be 21 yrs. old this year, where does the time go??  Off to bed, have a great evening

Maureen

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Here we go again, snow.  Honestly, I don't recall such a lousy winter.  Talking to coworkers in MD and they are overwhelmed with the snow. This is two years in a row they got hit. Bring on sun....and the end of chemo or rads or whatever, just light at the end of the tunnel.

Bevin/Karen/Kindone/Janb/Laura, how's everyone doing? Watching the superbowl? Even they have snow!!

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hey, does anyone know if there is a lymphedema place/care in WNY?  Thinkig I'll need to fly after tx and wondering if I need a sleeve/glove whatever.  Searched the links on the lymph thread but doesn't come up with any in our area.  Ideas?

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2011
    Options

Maureen, did you try the Therapist Locator? It's here:

http://www.mylymphedema.com/therapist.htm

Try searching all four of the schools listed there. Some ask for your zip code and email but get back to you quickly with results. Hope you find help close by!
    Binney

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you Binney4.  The closest one is ~60miles away.  I was hoping someone from the area is seeing someone and can make recommendation.   60 miles is quite a distance is something happens and I need to work with them on a frequent basis. PT or whatever. 

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yes, I hope someone can suggest a closer therapist too, but if not do call a couple of those on the list and ask who they know that's closer to you. Sometimes they have a network and can recommend a colleague.

Good luck!
    Binney

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Maurren, Dr Lindfield on sheridan drive near Harlem  has a lymphedema clinic within her practice. Here is the link to her website. Look under services.  Good luck. Hope you feel better!!

http://www.wnycfbh.com/services.html

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

Kindone - I am sorry about the passing of your sister.  I am sure that was a very difficult time for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I am really glad you have your family for support.

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks Bevin, I will follow that lead.

Kindone: I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so much bc in your family, and so young. You're all Brac negative?  Scary stuff.  I wonder if there is more "Coke" plant issues in this area than we think? 

• karen333
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi all, looking forward to the SuperBowl game today, go Steelers!!!!  I transfered my alligance to the next closest city after the Bills season, oh that was painful to watch - maybe next year.  No snow here, but a few flurries in the forecast for tomorrow  and I have an appt. with my BS tomorrow.   I think I may have the breast infection again, it is red and swollen again.  Had to go to two funerals yesterday, one for my granddaughter's best friends' mom from a cancer that usually affects only children, it was bitterly sad, she was so young.  The other, one of my friend's mother, she was elderly and it was expected but my friend lost her dad last year to cancer, so it was very hard for her for her, lots of tears shed at both funerals.  Sometimes it feels like it is all around me.  My godmother was diagnosed Friday with lung cancer, she is 87, and has always been a second mom to me.  I lost both my parents to cancer in the 70's, so her diagnosis has hit especially hard.  Cancer is a !@#@%&^ dreadful disease.  It is all around me, thanks for letting me vent and cry to my cyber friends, I needed to cry.  Karen

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Karen- I am so sorry about your situation. That's a lot to deal with.  Especially after losing your parents to this dreadful disease.  You can vent to us anytime - that's why we're here..  I hope you don't have an infection, but that sounds like at least something you may be able to take care of with antibiotics.  Sending a big hug your way.

Try to watch the game, laugh at the commercials and take your mind away from all this for a bit.

xoxo

Bevin 

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Karen, I'm so sorry for both of your loss ((((((hugs))))))))you've certainly had your share of crisis events. Cancer is a beast and takes so much from everyone, not just the patient but the family as well.  Why the hell can't they cure this disease?  I just don't understand it anymore.  The progress has been toward tx, where the hell is the cure???

How's your Dgranddaughter and friend doing?  So hoping they'll move toward good things and healing.  If you have a breast infection, they can give you antibiotics to clear it up. Hope the weather is uneventful for the trip.  We had quite the snow last night and son came home to get SUV to deliver pizzas because the delivery boy refused to drive in the weather.  Not much snow 4-5 inches but really slippery out. I want spring

Everytime I think superbowl I recall Scotty, felt so sorry for him and angry at the same time. Really wish he would've made that field goal.  Concerning teams, I'm not partial to either one.  I think while DH is watching the game I'll get some work done.  Monday is chemo day and usually don't feel the best. Oh well, after tomorrow, FOUR MORE TO GO!!

Love,
    Maureen  

• karen333
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you Maureen and bevin for your kind words, I really needed to vent.  I was able to enjoy the game and put all the crisis aside.  Saw the BS surgeon today in Rochester, it is edema making it hard and radiation burn changing the texture of the breast.  So all is clear and I can relax. I asked about seeing a lymphedema therapist, he did not think it necessary since it is not causing pain.  No appt. for 6 mos, unless there is a problem.  My Dgranddaughter and Emmie will be seeing a councilor at school today to talk thru Emmie"s feelings and Mica's role in supporting her. Both seemed in fair spirits after spending the day together.  No snow today, quite the difference in temp.,but it is supposed to plumet again for the next few days.  We need Spring.  Karen    Take it easy tonight Maureen, only 4 more and you are finished with chemo.!!!!

• janb
    janb Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Options

Karen-- Sending you a hug and some warmth .... sorry to hear  all you've had to deal. Glad your appointment was Ok . Maureen....sending you a hug ..  I was lucky no chemo for me . I broke my elbow in Dec.  that was part of our reason to flee to Florida for a month ..made for a very long Dec. Its been nice since we got here the 28th of Jan. I've been swimming orthopedic said it would be good PT for elbow.. We'er already talking about our trip home. Our son is keeping an eye on our place and taking care of our 2 dogs.. But he keeps us informed on all the snow. Stay warm and safe all.  janb

• karen333
    edited February 2011
    Options

I'll take that hug, and you sent warmth, it was high 20's today.  You know when you think high 20's - low 30's are nice winter days, even a little sun added in, are super days in WNY.  Temps due to drop however.  Karen

• kindone
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi ladies, I am sick of the cold!!!!!!!!

• bevin
    edited February 2011
    Options

Ditto! time for a reprieve.

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Think Spring ladies!!!  I'm sitting here freezing my butt off. I have to shop for a 21st birthday and dont' want to go outside.  Where's the heat?

• karen333
    edited February 2011
    Options

Had to run errands with Dgranddaughter, 4 different stores, it is just bitter out there!!

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yep, I'm staying in, too cold for me, collected garbage and will have DS take it to the curb, if he doesn't, it's not going out till morning, too windy, will blow away.  Is it me?  Is this winter been soooo long?  We need sun,  can I get a script for a trip to Cancun to increase my Vitamin D (LOL)  Off to watch Criminal minds, one of my favorite, have a good nite ladies :)