Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant Exchange (oYo) ~ Anyone go/stay SMALL?? (B cup)

Options

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited February 2011
    Options
    soccermomofthree I too never thought a B was small. I thought that was average.
  • SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited February 2011
    Options

I thought B was average too!!!..... but it seemed not so much for BC reconstruction patients ~ at least what I've noticed on these boards.  Seems the majority of women end up D or DD!!  Granted, everyone says they may measure that big, but they don't LOOK that big.  When I go to the pic forum.. I think they actually DO look that big!

I honestly have a hard time finding people that decided to stay "smaller"....seems most ladies want to "upgrade" when given the opportunity.

My TE's are about a full B right now and I think they look great.  Fit in clothes nice, don't get in the way too much, don't look too busty.  However, I can't tell you guys how many people (mostly men ~ but plenty of women) have asked me... "So... you are going to go BIGGER with the exchange to implants, right?"

Bastards! Kiss 

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan, thanks for starting this thread and thanks to all who have commented - I needed this!!!

I was a big A - pre-BC and am filled to a whopping 450!  I am planning on being a big B in the end, but on my PS advice, I went one more fill past where I was happy.  He says that better to have more room to maneuver in, than too small a space.  

Right now I feel like these 450's are getting in the way, I bump them with my little 2 or 3 lb weights at the gym when doing an aerobics class, ;-) it's been a bit cumbersome...buuut, the good thing of being filled too big is now I am confident that I pretty much know where to stop/what's too big.  I think I will be happy at 400, this should be somewhere about the right size for me.  (I'm 5'6, 125 lbs, 30 inch ribcage) Exchange is 3/21, just about a month to go!!!! wahooooo!!!!

Thanks again for all the great input, ladies!!!

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Our measurement are almost identical, Megan!  Well... umm.. except that I currently weigh about 30 pounds more than you!  However, I'm workin' on it, damnit! :) .... I've been eating healthier and have really upped the exercise so I know (hope? :) I can do it.  I would love to be at least 10 lbs lighter before my surgery!

My TE's are currently at 430 and my PS doesn't overfill.. so my exchange size will be similiar.  I have an appt to talk specifics with him March 9th... and just scheduled my surgery date for 4/22!!

Won't it be nice to have one more thing OVER with on our way back to our "new normal"!! :)

I look forward to hearing how your exchange goes! 

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan, you look fabulous in your pic!!! I am sure you have a fab figure!!!

I must admit I am about 7 lbs lighter than usual right now...there's no diet like the "cancer stress diet"!!!  I lost like 13 lbs from diagnosis to BMX, but my belly is determined to find every last one again!!! grrrr!!!!  eh, I just want to go into exchange feeling healthy and with a little "wiggle room" in the poundage-department ;-)  

I read back a few comments and you are at the gym, too...I am trying to stay healthy since before BMX I was 'relativley' fit and just knowing recovery is benefitted from good health, etc ....but I digress..... ;-)

I also can't wait to hear how your exchange goes - I never thought I would look forward to "going under"!!! I am actually counting the days...I know I will be anxious, but I am trying to take the attitude that I am jumping in with 2 feet and no regrets about size after, I really want to go in with a positive attitide, although deep down I am worried about being too big or too small - but I am really working on letting go of that and trusting in the reality that my PS is as successful as he is for a reason....ok, now I shall breathe deep and relaxxxxx!!! ;-)

• seafoobs
    seafoobs Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2011
    Options

fire-dancer: Whippetmom always says that you should go larger than your TE.  So you should be doing 475-500cc implants.  If you don't want to go that big you can go back to your PS and have some of the fill removed.  Just a thought.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan and Megan - so you guys are filled at 430 and 450ccs - so I am 5'6" and weigh 120 pounds and TEs were filled to 400ccs and exchanged for 450cc implants.  I must say that on the picture forum the boobs do look bigger than they really are....maybe too close a picture on most.  My PS helped in deciding what size for me - he didn't want them looking "too big and unnatural", so we went for what looks like a full B or small C, but just be warned when you go bra fitting to get the wires to completely go around the implant I measured a 32DD - never would have guessed that.  When I asked my closest friends what size they thought I was most said a B or small C and were totally surprised when I told them 32DD.  I play tennis competitively so I certainly didn't want to go to big - couldn't have them getting in the way.  Anyway I hope you guys will be happy with the size you chose!!!  Good luck with your exchanges. 

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my exchange a week ago.

I think I was originally a small B, but my PS said large A when he looked at me. I had wanted to stay that same size, or just a smidge bigger. I was afraid that a large B would make me look heavier.

I'm 5'1, 113 (working to lose another 5 of the weight I gained during treatment), ribcage is 30 in.

My PS filled the right side to 370, left to 420 and replaced them with 400 high profile. He said this would make me a large B, and it is early to tell, but I think I look well proportioned for my size. I don't think I look much bigger than before the BMX, but I need to wait for the "drop and fluff" to know for sure. :)

Anyway, I have photos on the picture site if you want to see what the size looks like. I am having symmetry issues, but you can at least look at 1 of the foobs. lol

• Ellie1959
    Ellie1959 Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My PS initially was kind of an idiot. My implants didn't look too bad but they hurt horribly and were rock hard but she couldn't believe I wanted them out because they looked nice. I had big boobs and a skinny body and then my ass caught up to my boobs! Then I just looked big all over. I'm happy to be smaller now but - cancer takes it toll. My 2nd PS was so good but he didn't have much to work with. I think I had maybe 8 recon's altogether  ending with the nipples - one of which kind of disappeared - we laugh about it! Kiss
  • SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Megan ~ I was gonna say you look pretty fab yourself!! Is your pic with your TE's? or before BC?  And yes.. staying healthy has really helped me feel better all around ~ physically and mentally! I can't believe I look forward to going under either!!  

Valerie ~ I really wish there could be somewhere on the picture forum where people post themselves with t-shirts and tell us what size they are! lol!  .. Though because of all the different body shapes/types and people's different perceptions of what is "big" and what is "small" ... I can understand why my PS recommends to just keep filling, try on clothes and stop when I feel I'm done.  I notice I also seem to prefer the midrange profile look so perhaps I won't have that disappointment in "loss of projection" with going from the TE's to the implants??

Ann ~ I just looked at your pics and think you look great! I actually really like your size on you!  I will be curious to see what size bra you measure out at! :)

Ellie.. how big were your original implants and what did you end up with?  I also think I "look heavier" with bigger boobs.  I like the "slimmer appearance" of a smaller chest.  .... as long as I can keep my tummy relatively flat!!!!  Hoping the fat grafting will help with that a little! ;) 

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan, I love the slimmer appearance. I feel less boxy and more feminine. And younger.

Summer is so much more pleasant now with smaller breasts. Aerobic exercise is easier. Finding a comfortable position in bed is easier and I can finally buy blouses that fit me everywhere without bulging at the buttons. My shapeless, wide, c-cup days are happily behind me.

• soccermomofthree
    soccermomofthree Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2011
    Options

My implants are smaller than my TEs.As far as ccs goes.  The diameter of my implant is larger than my TE.  When I had my TEs so very large they made me look, in my eyes, like a bigger person. Football player look :) Strange how that worked...I have 455cc implant I am 5' 7 1/2" with a 30" ribcage I weigh 132.  I am a smaller c. At first after the exchange I was thinking wow I am so small.  I was filled to 510cc in the TE. That could have been a DD on me.  I had to adjust to the implants not being hard as rocks and projecting everywhere :)  I am happy with the size we picked they feel very natural. I also don't have to start buying size large shirts just to accomidate my breasts.:)

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

I hear yah, Athena!! I have really been "studying" other people's chests lately. (My hubby thinks I'm obsessed! lol!)  I am a bit of a "pear shape" .. and my DH did at one point say something about if I wanted to balance the "top" with the "bottom" (thankfully we have a very strong relationship!) ... and I told him.. "Why the hell would I want big fat boobs to match my big fat ass?"  That would just make me look heavier!  So.... like I said... (as long as I can keep the tummy flat)... I prefer not to have a BIG chest. I think people like Jennifer Lopez.. Rhianna, etc  look just fine with their smaller chests and big boottays!  (Now if only I could get my LEGS to look like those gals!! ;)

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Soccermom ~ so your implants actually measure out a C?  What style of implant did you get (15, 20, etc)  Do you have pics on the pic site? :)

I'm glad you are happy with your results! That's what I want.. a natural look... I don't want to them to scream "boob job" when you look at them. Tongue out 

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan- lol your so cute! I fit just fine in a B bra its weird.  I did some measuring with a tape measure and it called me a C.  B bras are fine and so are Cs just depends on the bra.  I am not a big bra person...I wear them but don't spend much money on them :)  I do not look like a boob job at all :)  No I did not post pics.  I have the high profile allergan.  I choose saline though because I didn't want to go in for MRIs to check the silicone...

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Makes sense to me! .. I'm not a big "fancy schmancy" bra person either!  I usually only have a couple that I like and wear regularily.

I've bought most of mine from Target! (Shhh! ;)  I may have a "fitting" at Nordstrom's after all this is done if my PS says I need to wear a properly fitted bra for the implants.

... and, by the way, you look cute as a button in your pic! Is that your youngest of three? 

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was very concerned about the need to achieve a natural look and told my PS several times that I did not want that bullseye, perfectly round look (one reason to choose silicone over saline, although that is the choice made most often in the US anyway) that screams "California breasts".

I also participate in the picture forum. My opinion, and my opinion only, is that the bigger you go the greater the likelihood of that too-perfect look that screams "breast job." Also, IMO only, I found greater instances of stretch marks on the bigger breast (probably the saline fills were too strong and should have been staggered more) and breasts that protruded sideways, which I also warned my PS I did not want.

I see it like blowing up a balloon whose shape you are unaware of - the more you blow, the more weird shapes may come out, but also the more obnoxious the shape. Again, not scientific, but only my viewer's opinion.

I wanted the teardrop implant so as to avoid the rounded look, but they had not been approved by the time I had my reconstruction. My surgeon opted for a small implant, and I needed fat grafting twice. Also, to avoid that bullseye impression, I asked that the nipples not be perfectly rounded.  

Ultimately, it comes down to having a good PS who listens to you. I specifically asked my ps to show me before and after pictures of his cosmetic patients who went bigger, and not just reconstruction patients like me. I found his enhancements tastefully done and it convinced me that he would do well for me, which he has.

Some women hate surgery or fear it and so they want to get things done quickly and that can,. IMO, lead their PS to sense their urgency and go quickly rather than wisely. I said two things to myself when I got cancer:

1) Never make decisions based on fear, and

2) (when thinking of reconstruction) Go sloooooowly and aim for quality.

Horrible as it was to get cancer, barely endurable as were the treatments for the disease, and awful as it is to have the shadow of recurrence following me for the rest of my life (especially because I had to stop treatment prematurely), I enjoyed reconstruction. For cancer, they offer you these near-useless one-size-fits-all poisons, so it was refreshing to have the luxury to make my own choices in this area. I felt empowered. I saw it as my own project and creation. It also whet my natural appetite for shopping and I had some fun. My breasts do not look like normal breasts because they have nipples that are grafts, and I have scars. But they are really MY breasts and I like them, and IMO (and I am not the only one saying this) they look pretty. I enjoyed making something come alive and working with a very able surgeon. I have regained most of my feeling and none of what were my erogenous zones were affected.

Six* minor surgeries later I am happy in this aspect.

*Includes the cancer surgery and surgery to replace a TE that had folded in on itself.

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Athena, it sure sounds like you have a fantastic relationship with your PS!  I too have a great relationship with my PS... I actually miss him since it's been a month since my last fill!  He also stressed not to "hurry" .. saying, "this isn't a race!" .  Although I will be at my "minimum 8 week after last fill waiting period" in mid March... I'm actually not having the surgery until April 22nd.  I wanted enough time to resume my exercising/arm strength building before I had to go back to the 6 week arm restrictions again.  Also, my PS said there is also an advantage to waiting longer as the pec muscles become more relaxed in this stretched position.  I feel we have really good communication and that I am able to convey exactly what I hope for... and he is pretty honest as to what I can expect.  So I suppose I should just stop second guessing myself.. and just relax about it!! :)

Thank you for your input! 

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan, It sounds as though things are headed for exactly the right direction for you. It is normal to have doubts. I pondered saline vs. silicone and other issues for weeks. This site really helped in that regard.

• anonymice
    anonymice Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have D cups now and *if* I ever have reconstruction, it will definitely be for a or maybe a b cup size.  (bilat mx scheduled in May)

Large breasts are a pain in many ways, some of them literal - obviously it's an entirely personal decision but I am SO excited about the prospect of not having to wear a bra at all!!  

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks Athena. 

Pam~ good luck with your upcoming surgery!  And yes... I love not "having" to wear a bra! :) 

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan-I have my favorites too and I wear them till they are falling apart lol.  Yes that is my youngest.  Then I have two older boys :) 

Pam-you will have many choices :)  Interesting to hear how you would like freedom from the breasts :) When I had my TEs I finally experienced them getting in my way...not fun for sure.

Athena-good reminders and nice thought process...

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was a D prior to recon. Chose to be a full B and am delighted with it.  My massage therapist tells me of her other clients - many who have chosen to be very large sizes, who were never told about the shoulder strain and neck strain w larger breasts.

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Boy, I have enough neck/shoulder strain from my office job... would hate to add anything to that!  

Now that makes me curious.... are natural breasts size D,DD,etc a similiar weight to a implant as large?  In general, are implants lighter or heavier than natural breasts for the same volume?  I read some women talking about trying to get "used to the heaviness" of the implant.  Now that my pec muscles have relaxed more.. I dont' notice any sort of "weight" from mine at all really? My TE's are filled to 430cc.. but they also have a pretty wide footprint (14cm wide by 13cm high I believe).  Or maybe I just don't notice as much because of the still numb areas?! ;) 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,508
    edited February 2011
    Options

don't remember if I already posted or not...but I stayed small....I have 200cc mid profile silicone implants....

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Interesting question, Susan. The answer may depend on whether you end up with fat grafting, as I did, which has to be factored into the overall weight.

Separately, I wager that implants are typically more compact than a natural breast, so the weight distribution is different and that may have a bearing on how heavy they feel.

Whippetmom may know.

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was just thinking that!  I bet Deborah certainly does know.. she is a wealth of information! :) Maybe I'll go post that question on the implant sizing thread.

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

I did hear somewhere that saline weighed more than silicone...

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

Karen-where you larger than that size before your implants?

• goldlining
    goldlining Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was a DD as a teen, had a reduction that was steady B for 20 years, then they just grew back uninvited to DD size during pregnancy and never went back. So I'm stuck with a DD prosthetic in the current uni interim. When I do the other prophylactically, I would rather have NO reconstruction than be DD again afterwards. The bra fitter lady said "oh you are the right size now and smaller will make your middle look larger". Well, I was a B for 20 years, I think I know what it looked like, and I preferred it. Maybe with less boobage, I'd be exercising off more of the middle, too. I haven't had the PS consult yet, but I am not that open minded about bigness. Everyone has an opinion, but it's not their bosoms, it's ours.