Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant Exchange (oYo) ~ Anyone go/stay SMALL?? (B cup)

Options

Comments

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Wasin ~ do your friends/family agree with you that you "look like an A"?  Maybe you have the opposite of us women always thinking we look "bigger" than we really are? Wink
  • wasin
    wasin Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2011
    Options

Susan, no not yet.. I just had an exchange surgery 3 wks ago and I was told to wear this surgical bra that zips up on the front for 6 wks, which means 'till the end of this month.

My PS told me when I was getting expanded, that since my skin is so thin he won't be able to expand me alot more.  I mean, I liked the size of my expanders because they looked like a full B but he said the implants will be 10-20% smaller than the expanders.  This doctor supposedly is a top doctor in Sloan Kettering since he's a chief of plastic surgery there.  Hmmm... 

• wasin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Susan, I didn't ask my family but my husband thinks they look great although I disagreed.

I guess I should just wait 'till the end of this month to try on some possible bras to fit the girls.

I'm thinking about back to padded bras.. ;(

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444
    edited March 2011
    Options

hi wasin - sorry you aren't feeling thrilled about your implants...there are alot of women, like susan said who have gone from an A (like myself) to a larger size...I hope as you are able to get out of the surgical bra and get used to the implants that you become more comfortable with them...if not, perhaps you can discuss a revision in the future, not sure you are thinking that yet, it's still early so give it some time.  From what I've gathered here it seem alot of women are surprised after exchange with their size.  We get used to the look of the TE's and implants definitley don't sit up & out the way they do!  There's alot of newness to get used to, I hope everything works out ok for you!!!

• wasin
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi fire-dancer, thanks for sharing your insight.  You're right.. it's still too early and I need to give some time.  Maybe I was just too used to the way the expanders looked on me.

Do you know if the breast pockets stretch after having the girls in the pockets for awhile?

(just wondering.. )

• mom3band1g
    mom3band1g Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2011
    Options

wasin- I was a AA nd now measure a 32 D.  Not happy about it but I did.  I have Natrelle 325's.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited March 2011
    Options

Calling whippetmom to answer wasin's question.Yell

Wasin, it sounds as though what your PS was conveying regarding how big you could go was not intended as a fact but a judgement of your case based on your characterisitcs and frame. I would get clarification to your answers from him for this reason, because what we are telling you may or may not apply in your case. Women can go certainly from an A to a DD if they wish, but it sounds as though your PS felt that in your case it was not a good idea. It was a medical judgement call, so I think you might want to ask him why. The sooner you get answers the better, as changes can more easily be made earlier in the process.

Susan's garden - hit the nail on the head - as usual. Yes, I do think I look bigger than I am. Body image issue, perhaps? Anything is possible. I used to be a C and always thought I was HUGE and hated it. Now, I am happy, but I think I look like a B even though some bra sizes say differently.

BTW - I understand nothing about cc's and sizing - total ignoramous. Same goes for rib cage size, etc.... So I cannot give you any data on that. And it may explain why my idea of cup sizes is so off....

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2011
    Options

wasin, everyone has different circumstances. If your PS says you have thin skin, it is likely that large implants wouldn't be as successful in the long run. There are many reasons behind the recommendations given by most PS's, ask him to explain it to you.

This site offers such good support and cheerleading, but it does make me worry when people get encouraged to go for what they want, and not take no for an answer basically. (I'm not saying that this applies to you, it's a generalized statement.) Sometimes what a gal wants isn't the best thing for her situation, and then the outcome isn't as good.

I believe in finding a PS you like and trusting them. 

• SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

I agree with Athena & Cameron.. I hadn't seen the "think skin" comment before.  I thought you meant the PS was just making a general statment of "women who are a A/AA can't go bigger than a B".

Cameron ~ I saw your pics on Timtam's site.  You sure had a dramatic transformation! :)   And it looks like you are well on your way to some beautiful results! 

• Cameron
    edited March 2011
    Options
    thank you SusansGarden! It's easier for me to look at these scars and deal with this TE pain, having lived with that lopsided mess, I can get through anything now. Wink
  • SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

I can totally understand after seeing the pics!  It must feel great to not have to wear a bra right now!

• Cameron
    edited March 2011
    Options

Well, my PS is a "sports bra, 24/7" kinda guy. I am out of my sports bra only to shower and apply lotion once a day. I am VERY happy to do so, I am afraid of TE migration. So far, so good...in fact if I can ever find that bra thread, I am needing advice on a bra with more side support.

• SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

If you don't put the lotion on, do you get the hose again?

Sorry Embarassed .. I just watched Silence of the Lambs the other night and couldn't help myself. Tongue out

Well... I sports bra is better than a bra bra. :)

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have gone to get measured yet but I'm thinking that I'll be a D too even though I can fit into my old C cup bras.  It's the width that makes the difference!

Has anyone gotten a clear answer from their PS on how long these implants last?  I know they are not permanent but are we talking 5, 10 or 15 years before we need to replace them?

My hairdresser (50 years old) is on her 4th set already!

• soccermomofthree
    soccermomofthree Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2011
    Options

Marie-I heard ten years once.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have heard silicone implants last 10 years but I know women who have had theirs for longer. Interesting that Mentor has a life time guarantee on the implants but only 10 warranty for replacement assistance (due to rupture) link to warranty      

I just held my old bras up to my expanded self. I am huge compared to what I was. I've had 5 expansions and I'm scheduled for 3 more!? Last week the nurse reminded him I wanted to stay the same size. He told me he wants enough room to work with. Lets just say either I'm going to be happy with the outcome or my husband is Tongue out

• Lynkoura
    Lynkoura Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have asked PS repeatedly about life of implant and not got very clear answers. I have Silimed silicone implants. Their website says 10 years but they do have a lifetime gurantee aand PS has implied that actual life should be much longer. I have been very frustrated with my inability to get a clear answer on this. All I wanted to know was how many times I would be looking at getting it replaced (I'm a uni). After a while I would proably stop doing so.Can anyone else help?

• SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

My PS said that although the manufacturer's "recommend" replacing after 10 years...they generally follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.  i.e. If your implant is sitting in the pocket nicely, no ruptures are dedected by MRI... this is no reason to go into surgery for replacement just because you hit a 10 year mark.   Since I'm only 44, I'm assuming I'm going to be replacing these sometime down the road!  If anything... especially if they come up with a better alternative to silicone.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,508
    edited March 2011
    Options

Scoocermom.....I was small B cup prior to BC....my 1st implants were 300cc high profile....I hated them....felt so self-conscious......after I got the smaller implants, the best compliment paid to me was my girlfriend who I said I looked more like myself before BC.....its been 2 1/2 years with these implants and I'm content with them....reluctant to use the word happy, because I sure would rather have my old saggy middle age boobs, but since I have to have implants because of bc, these are as good as they get.

• fire-dancer
    edited March 2011
    Options

Susan - I have wondered how many "sets" I'm gonna go thru in this lifetime...I'm 37 and assume there will be a few more coming my way ;-) ...but I never thought about the fact that someday maybe there might be something better! 

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545
    edited March 2011
    Options

I agree the recommended is 10 but some have them much longer.  Im with Susan - they are coming up with advancements all of the time....if in 10-15 years they find something even better, then I might go do that.  At 44, I expect at least one change out....probably two.

• SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

Megan & Sue ~ My PS sincerely thinks that the technology of being able to do fat grafting from one area of your body to build up the entire breast is highly likely to be improved and available ten years down the road.  A few drs are doing it right now for augmentation and reconstruction with success.  My PS thinks it will be soon be much more common and widely available (He already does the fat grafting to aesthetically improve the areas around the implants in BMX patients.)

So...just think..... 10+ years from now, you've put on a few pounds from menopause, etc and have a couple muffin tops baking in your oven ;) .... you can go back to your PS for some reconstruction "revisions" and not only have the foreign object finally taken out of your body... but an improved waistline as well!!  And it will be covered by insurance!!!  My PS's nurse was all excited telling me about this at my very first consultation after diagnosis and I have to say it made the thought of getting a BMX that much easier "mentally" for me. :)   

• lago
    edited March 2011
    Options

Of course there will be improvements. Breast augmentation is the #1 plastic surgery for women. There is money to be made with improved technology.

Susan my PS does fat grafting too.

I'm expecting 2 exchanges if the technology doesn't change and there are no complications. I'm 49+1. 

• MarieK
    edited March 2011
    Options

I LOVE this idea!!

So Susan I should hang on to my muffin top because I might need it later? 

Here I was thinking I should lose 15lbs around my middle (reducing my natural breast too) to give me better symmetry!

• fire-dancer
    edited March 2011
    Options

Ha! I laughed out loud reading these comments re: muffin tops! ...as gravity takes a hold of my waistline I won't have to fret too much, right?!?!  Those extra "rolls" around the middle might just come in handy someday ;-) 

...really, though - to think I NEVER gave any thought to the idea of augmentation ever in my life - and now it is something that will forever be of great interest to me as the science of breast augmentation gets better...

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545
    edited March 2011
    Options

What if we just all hang upside down so gravity can get those muffin tops up to the bustline, and then just stitch them into place...like a torso lift?  Oh the endless possibilities!!!

I didnt have enough for the Diep or Team flaps this time around...I should feel complimented.  Maybe I need to put a few back on!

• MarieK
    edited March 2011
    Options

Lago I laughed at your 49+1 - I'm only 561 months old! 

• lago
    edited March 2011
    Options

Mariek my birthday was 1 month ago. I'm still getting used to the new number.

BTW I told my husband I thought I was too big. He said keep it up. I could have a new career as a stripper. I would l make more money than my current career. He also added he would definitely come and see me. Wonder if he pay or want me to get him in for free. Tongue out

• SusansGarden
    edited March 2011
    Options

You ladies are hilarious!  Lago, your stripper comment reminded me.....

There was a new nurse at one of my TE fills and she was cleaning off the "sharpie" mark, and I said to her, "Make sure you get it all off of there... I have to work tonight. I'm a stripper."

The look on her face was priceless!!! 

• lago
    edited March 2011
    Options

Susan, I love it.

Almost as bad as 2 weeks ago when I saw my PS for the first time since before chemo. I said to him "you now have more hair than me." He chuckled but I dont' think he was expecting me to say that. Last time he saw me I had very thick hair above the shoulders.