Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant Exchange (oYo) ~ Anyone go/stay SMALL?? (B cup)

Options

Comments

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have been a full sometimes overflowing C since my early twenties. 

When I first saw my PS after my uni mast I told him I wanted to be the same size or a bit smaller and he told me that since I had radiation I would probably end up smaller than what I currently was.

I told him specifically that I wanted to be smaller or at least the same size so that I could fit into my tops and current clothes.

I was surprized after my TE surgery that he only put in 300 cc expanders.  After reading all the sizes on here I was worried I'd be too small.

He assured me that I would only be a bit smaller if not the same size after my exchange so I trusted him.

I had my exchange on Feb 2nd and he put in 560 cc full height extra projection gummy implants.  I thought I'd be HUGE!

But a reconstructed breast is much different than an augmented breast!

I recently tried on a 34 C demi cup bra and I think it fits perfect.

The point I'm trying to make is that the size of the implant doesn't really matter and it's hard to compare from one person to the other.  It's how it looks on your frame that makes all the difference.

My photos are up on the photos site if anyone is interested.

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited February 2011
    Options

I agree Marie, it is very hard to compare implant size, bra size from one person to another.  I suppose that's why so many of us struggle with uncertainty at this point in the game... when should I stop fills?  Am I going to be too big? Am I going to be too small?  One person may consider an average "C cup" as "too small" ... while another may consider it "too big"!

I guess it just shows how much trust we put into our PS and how important it is to really communicate the "look" you are wanting to acheive.

And, Marie, I just found your photos.... your uni exchange and lift/reduction looks really really nice!  I can't even tell the difference between the two in your pink bra! :)  So.. .question.... does you implant side feel heavier/lighter than the natural side? Or can you not tell the difference? .. oh wait... I see you have the Gummy.  I wonder if that makes a difference in weight too?  Congrats on your exchange and lovely results! 

• MarieK
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan it weighs a TON! 

I was without a breast for over a year and I think my body got used to it.  I'm finding this implant to be as heavy if not heavier than my silicone prosthetic (which I loved)

http://www.anita.com/gb-en/Products,Anita_care,Breast_forms,Lightweight_full_breast_forms,Ripped_design

The only difference is that the prosthetic was supported by the bra pocket and this is supported by my muscle, ribcage, shoulders and back.

I have to make a conscious effort to pull my shoulders back and roll my shoulders every once and a while to relieve it.

This implant is 560 ccs of silicone gel - my TE was only 360 ccs and the saline was much lighter.  I had to wait 2 months for my exchange and near the end I actually would forget that I had a TE in!

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that I had the opportunity to have reconstruction and with time it will get better I know.  It's just the exchange surgery is not the end all and be all that I thought it would be.

I'm very happy that I did not go bigger!

• MarieK
    edited February 2011
    Options

Oh I forgot to add that it's been 2 weeks now since my exchange and I'm still having to take some "horizontal time" in the afternoon.

With the implant dropping and settling I was feeling a lot of ripping/burning pain as well as the weight and the only relief I get sometimes is to lie down. 

It's so nice to lie down - I'm very comfortable sleeping on my back and lately I'm even able to sleep on my right side now!

• soccermomofthree
    soccermomofthree Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2011
    Options

goldlining-I am thinking that the bra fitter lady was not so nice.  I felt like when my breasts were larger (when I was in my TEs) I felt more "round" if you will...you are right it is a very personal decision that we have to live with.  I have two friends that have had breast reduction.  Very interesting that yours went back to the original size.  My mom did not have reconstruction and she is content with her decision.  I like your "less boobage" verbiage that made me laugh :)

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

Marie-Thank you for sharing. I am almost three weeks past my exchange and I am still a bit tired by mid day.  Sorry you are feeling that ripping pain :(  Wow you can sleep on your side? is that the reconstructed side?  I am a side sleeper and I have not asked PS if I can sleep on my sides yet...that will be a grand night!!!

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Less "boobage" made me laugh too! :)

I am a side sleeper too!  It has taken quite a bit for me to get used to sleeping just on my back.  Only recently (like the last two weeks) am I able to sleep (with a strategically placed set of pillows) on my side and it's been heaven!  Not looking forward to going back to the exclusive back sleeping after the exchange! 

Marie ~ I was wondering if you notice a big diff between the weight, and that's interesting!  I wonder if the gummy is heavier per cc than saline or regular silicone?  I've never had enough "boobage" :) to even notice a "weight" from them.  Hmmm... then again.... I have plenty of "bummage"  and I don't notice necessarily feel an extra "weight" from that.. perhaps you do just get used to it! Tongue out 

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415
    edited February 2011
    Options

It is so interesting toread everyone's comments.  After exchange my PS said no sleeping on side for a few weeks - now that I can it is wonderful!!  I'm leaving for a cruise today - so I wish everyone well!!

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

vmudrow-Have a wonderful time on your cruise!!!

• speech529
    speech529 Member Posts: 148
    edited February 2011
    Options

Wow, what an interesting thread.  I did not get to read everyone's posts but obviously there are many of us out there who were small and wanted to stay that way. 

Marie I agree with you---its a combination of implant size and the woman's chest/rib cage.  I am 5'4'', 138 lbs and very thin in the chest area.  My PS said she would make sure I was no larger than a B or small C because of my frame.  I had 354cc in my mx breast (and 270 in native breast).  I am a D cup...but I don't look like a D.  I don't think my PS changed her mind in surgery...I think she put in what looked best.  I am pleased.  I also go braless at home and it feels great.  I wear a bra to work and out.  

I think I look better now than I did before.   I also have photos posted on TimTam website.

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444
    edited February 2011
    Options

Susan - the pic is pre-BC, this past summer, so if you can tell, I was pretty small "up top" ;-).  I am wearing a dress with a built in bra, so it's pretty accurate as to my actual boob-size.

I will be bigger than that (hopefully!!!) but I also want to be able to go braless if I choose.  Right now I only wear a sportsbra on occasion or just a shelf-tank.  I've never been into bra's - except to boost up the volume! ;-)  

To answer from a couple pages back about where to fill to, my PS said with the fill I have he can make me about what I am looking for.  I did talk to Whippetmom (I emailed her pics since I am computer-illiterate on putting the on the forum!) and followed her guidance, which was pretty much just what the nurses/PS recommended for fill volume.  I am at 450, feeling quite cumbersome, and think I will be happy about 400.  With all of these unknowns about the final "products", I just appreciate knowing what doesn't work for me now size-wise.  Here's to hopin' right?!?!

such a great thread - ...just love the input from everyone... :-)

• seafoobs
    seafoobs Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2011
    Options

fire-dancer: If you are filled to 450 and think you will be happy with 400, you might want to go back to your PS and have 50-75 removed.  If you are 450 and exchange out to 400 you might have a lot of sag  Yell

• fire-dancer
    edited February 2011
    Options

SeaFoobs - my PS feels comfortable that he will be able to work well with the space I have.  His "way" is to get to a size you like, then go one more fill for good measure.  He has said several times that I shouldn't worry...but alas, I do ;-)  ...what was your PS philosophy on fills/what was your experience?  I didn't think that 50 cc's would produce that much sag? hmmmm.....

• MarieK
    edited February 2011
    Options

Regarding the side sleeping - I'm a UNI so I'm sleeping on my reduced/lifted natural side not on my implant side.  It's still a bit too early for that I think.

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Valerie  ~ A cruise? I'm jealous! :) Have a great time!!

Speech~ I will go look at your pics on the pic forum.. I'm so glad that is available because it really helps to see how the cc's can look so different depending on the ribcage, frame,etc.  I'm glad you like your size and can go braless on occasion! 

Megan~ I think you look great in that pic. you look like you have some nice cleavage going on there! ;) Regarding the overfilling "sag".  From what I've seen on the boards... every PS is SO different.  Some insist on overfilling past the intended implant size in order to get a more "natural droop" or IMF.  Some say that isn't necessary and exchange to the same size as the fill.  Some put in larger implants than the TE's at the exchange.  I think whippetmom explained it on the sizing thread before (much better than I can! :)  My PS said he USED to overfill..but now prefers not to because, as he says "Why would you want to start out with sagging?"  Heck, I don't know. My PS does use alloderm so I started out with a decent IMF from the beginning, so maybe that's why he does it this way?  I have pics on the timtam site too... I haven't updated them since the last 100cc's so maybe I'll do that today. :)

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you Marie about the side sleeping.  I see my PS on Tue so I will ask when I can.:)

• soccermomofthree
    edited February 2011
    Options

fire-dancer-I was over filled about 55cc and there is not a sag in sight...

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2011
    Options

firedancer will be fine with 450 ccs expansion and 400 cc implants.  Her TEs are actually 350 ccs -  with 100 ccs overfill.  So her implants are essentially going to be 50 ccs greater than her TEs.  The overfill is employed to sufficient stretch the skin for good implant closure. She wants to be smaller than her TEs and so this is why it will work for her. 

The issue of selecting implants larger than the TEs [as SeaFoobs explained above] the base volume, not the overfill volume, is essential when the patient hopes to achieve equivalent or increased volume with implants than she has with the TEs.  In this case, the dimension of the TEs vs. the dimension of the implants would be of important consideration.

Deborah

• whippetmom
    edited February 2011
    Options

Interesting dissertation regarding the subject of weight:  Implants vs. natural breast tissue...a number of different responses by plastic surgeons....

http://www.realself.com/question/women-cups-dd-cups-experience-wieght-natural-cup

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited February 2011
    Options

Is one reason to fill more than the implant to also avoid pain and capsular contraction?

• MarieK
    edited February 2011
    Options

Very interesting!  Thanks Deborah for posting that link.

I can only speak from personal experience and I definately feel like my left side (implant) is heavier than my right (natural) but then again I went for over a year without a breast and I think my body adjusted and needs to adjust again to the weight.

I guess it would be different for women that have had immediate reconstruction or were used to heavier breasts or had larger TEs?

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2011
    Options

My exchange surgery was a month ago. I haven't had bras fitted. But my PS said he aimed for a full B. The implant was only 230 cc but my skin looks quite streched. (I'm 5-3, 117 lb.) About 10 days post-op, I became concerned about the dark, reddish skin undertone and when it didn't improved after 10 days, I went to see my primary care physician. I thought that way if I needed any referrals, the process would be speedy. My PCP speculated the implant was too big and put stress on the skin. Later, my PS said it looked normal to him (under his office's white light). And I feel since it's not infection, I would rather avoid any revision surgery.

• whippetmom
    edited February 2011
    Options

Athena:  The reason or purpose for overfilling the TEs is controversial amongst plastic surgeons.  Some "almost never" overfill and some "always" overfill.  My PS takes the former position.   I do not see how a PS can say, "I always overfill."  I personally can see the benefit in certain circumstances, but not in every circumstance.  A few thoughts:

1.  For a unilateral who has a native breast which has considerable droop and there is no planned lift:  Overfilling in this case can enable the PS to create "ptosis" or natural droop - to match the opposing breast.

3.  In a previously small breasted patient or with measurable skin flap loss after MX: Overfilling can aid in stretching out the skin - increasing projection of the TE and expansion of the skin where it is most important, in order to ensure good skin closure over the future implant and also to achieve some small degree of ptosis and a nicely defined inframammary fold.  You don't want an ill-defined IMF.

4.  In the case of an undersized TE being utilized, secondary to patient-chest wall issues or other complications:  Overfilling might enable the PS to achieve more expansion in order to help fulfill the patient's hopes regarding sufficient implant volume.  Or let's say the PS uses a 350 cc TE, planning to use implants with a volume of 450 ccs.  But the patient decides that 450 ccs will be too small and she instead wants implants with a volume of 500 ccs or 550 ccs: Therefore, her PS may need to overfill the TEs in order to utiilize the larger implant volume, as long as the skin is permitting.

I would say that overwhelmingly, most plastic surgeons overfill in order to achieve ptosis or droop.  From what I have seen and from what I have read from the experts, a patient's skin integrity is the most important consideration during the expansion process  Aggressive overfilling can further compromise thin skin.  A patient's age, size of breasts prior to MX, amount of droop [maternal droop] typically with "C" cups and larger - should all be taken into consideration.   The natural elasticity capability of the skin would be an important factor during the expansion process.

I honestly do not know that overfilling would have any benefit to guard against the development of capsular contracture.  Good question though!!

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks Deborah - you are a tower of knowledge.

Edited to add: I think mine must have underfilled or filled to normal capacity because I wanted to go smaller and specifically wanted breasts that would not require a bra. I do wear a bra as a rule, but I love that I don't have to. I would assume that for women who stayed the same or went bigger (not the women on this thread, but the majority of women) overfilling was more common.

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks for the link on breast tissue weight vs. implant weight, Deborah! Very interesting how several of them have such differing opinions!

And thank you so much for your detailed thoughts on overfilling vs. underfilling.  Again, so interesting that the PS's have such differing opinions!  

• memory
    memory Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2011
    Options

1Athena1 -- off-topic, but I love your quote about the Mafia.

I always tell people that getting breast cancer is like being a guest in the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. (For the younger ladies on the forum,t that's a line from an old Eagles song.)

i I do feel the way you described, though: like I'll forever be looking over my shoulder.

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yes - I changed my signature back because I didn't want to have a chip on my shoulder about having to look over my shoulder (repetition not even meant as a joke - just unimaginative writing here). But thanks! 

• SusansGarden
    edited February 2011
    Options

Oooooo.. I missed the Mafia quote! What was it? :)   ~ edited to add... oops.. I can see it.. didn't know the signatures changes don't effect past posts! :)

Though I do love the "future tx" one!  Makes me smile everytime!

And Memory ~ that Hotel California line/analogy is spot on! I am going to steal that one when trying to explain BC to my friends! 

• 1Athena1
    edited February 2011
    Options
    .....Laughing
  • fire-dancer
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you, Deborah, you are always such a support and a knowledgable source!

I am away on vacay, but had to comment quickly, the "Hotel California" reference will forever stick with me...and yes, what a way to explain BC to our friends!

I can't wait to read back and catch up, but...good night for now, friends!!! :-)