Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited March 2017
    Options

So pretty Chrissy. I wish I had more time to sew

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Gang - it has been awhile!!

It's been so long I forgot my password. Life has been rolling along, still working as a hospice nurse for about 3 1/2 yrs now. Haven't gone back to finish my breast reconstruction, yet...maybe this year. Also thinking about going part time in a year or two. We lost my Dad in February, so it's been sad getting used to life without him. Also lost my sweet pup Olivia in November.

On a brighter note, I am thinking about buying a sewing machine to start making some simple clothes and moving up to Crazy Quilting and fiber art to frame. You folks are my EXPERTS on sewing machines, so please advise on what type to get, hopefully something under $550? I have been researching on-line, but would love to get some advice!!

• melissadallas
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Shellshine!

Here's what I did-I wanted a very serious quilting machine on a very small budget. Most authorized dealers have a repairman and also sell revamped used machines they take in as trade ins. I got very very lucky and found a well used Janome MC6600P for $350. They clean them, tune them up and usually give some kind of warranty. Mine has been perfect & hasn't missed a lick in four years or so. This way you can get way more machine than you could otherwise afford.

My next machine for quilting will be a non-computerized straight stitch only Juki. They are workhorses & you can service them yourself, rather than worry about "computer" problems

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Shellshine!

When I was dx stage IV I got rid of my very expensive sewing machine thinking that I would never sew again.........here I am almost eight years along and still sewing. I ended up buying a Brother mid range that handles quilting with ease and has some good fancy stitches that work well for embellishment of a crazy quilt.

It cost me around the $500 mark but that is Australian dollars.

Melissa gas a great idea for getting what would probably be the best way to get yourself the perfect machine for not a lot of money.

Goodluck and I look forward to seeing your work!

• kelly32773
    kelly32773 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2017
    Options

Oh My!!!!!!! Smaarty, those are AMAZING!!!!!!

I just hope I can get that good some day!

• kelly32773
    kelly32773 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good afternoon ladies,

Looking for some advice.

I love making the quilt tops but I am scarred of the quilting process. I have done some straight line quilting on my quilts but would like to get more creative. However, the few that I have tried on, did not turn out well and ruined the work I put into the top by having unattractive quilting. I don't want to have to pay a quilter to do the work, because then I feel like its not "my" quilt.

Any advice on how to overcome my fear and not screw up my quilt tops. ( I currently have 5 unfinished)

Thanks

• melissadallas
    edited March 2017
    Options

Kelly, take a class, preferably in person, but some of the Craftsy ones are really helpful too. You can order those preprinted mini whole cloth quilts to practice on. We used them in my free-motion quilting class. It takes a lot of practice and I am still not entirely happy with mine either, but you are probably a lot more critical of your work than anyone else would be, Especially when it has been washed and "crinkled up." I KNOW I am too critical of my own work.

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited June 2017
    Options

Been a very long time since I logged in. Here is my latest quilt. The pattern is Rolling Circles.

• tedwilliams
    edited June 2017
    Options

This is Shredded Roses.

• tedwilliams
    edited June 2017
    Options

Beautiful!

• melissadallas
    edited June 2017
    Options

Very pretty Tedwilliams.

I just finished this top. I think it looks so cool & summery.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great quilts Ted and Melissa.

• chrissyb
    edited June 2017
    Options

Wow! You girls have been busy!

tedwilliams, your quilts remind me of the quilts made back in the thirtirs and fourties with your patterns and colour combinations. ........lovely!

Melissa your top is very fresh and summery! I can never remember the name of that pattern, but I really like it and all your points are very precise.

Good job girls!

I haven't done any quilting since I finished the two for my nieces as I've been busy relearning to play the keyboard. I haven't played for fourty years so its been a bit of a challenge to get up to accompanying standard.......lol.....not quite there yet but I will keep practising.

Love n hugs all. Chrissy

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,031
    edited September 2017
    Options

We love seeing these quilts. Any recent work you haven't posted?

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited September 2017
    Options

These are going in my local quilt show next weekend. The yellow one is being judged.

• chrissyb
    edited September 2017
    Options

Oh Smaarty they are stunning!! I so admire your talent.........your yellow one takes my breath away!

Goodluck with the competition judging!!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Smaarty
    edited September 2017
    Options

Quilt show is finally over. 4 days of work, I'm exhausted! I didn't win any ribbons, didn't rely expect to. Was hoping to get a raffle basket but didn't win that either. Now to get busy finishing the next opportunity quilt. Taking 13 blocks with me to retreat this weekend to put on corners and square up

• chrissyb
    edited September 2017
    Options

Oh my gosh Smaarty! If you didn't win anything with your quilt the ones that did must have been extra, extra extrordinary! Enjoy the retreat!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Smaarty
    edited September 2017
    Options

here's 4 of the 13 I got done. Picking out the smashing fabric tomorrow. Picking fabric by committee is such a pain. Oh well, it's suppose to be a group effort. Had to fix 4 others that were really done poorly.

• chrissyb
    edited September 2017
    Options

Wow, wow, wow!!!! They are fantastic!! Love the colors and can't wait to see ot all together!!

• Smaarty
    edited December 2017
    Options

Got it done in time for Christmas. This is for my great granddaughter.Some of you must be getting things done too!

• chrissyb
    edited December 2017
    Options

oh Smaarty that is just adorable!!! I love that giraffe in all its wonderful colors!! Stunning!!

I'm afraid my machine has been idle for some time now but I'm hoping to get some dresses made for the summer. I even got the sewing room sorted so I have a space to work in, now all I have to do is get started.......lol.

• Smaarty
    edited December 2017
    Options

• chrissyb
    edited December 2017
    Options

Love it!! Merry Christmas to all!! May your blessings be many, your troubles small and your health be as good as it possibly can be.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Smaarty
    edited December 2017
    Options

For those not sewing! Have a happy and safe holidays

• melissadallas
    edited December 2017
    Options

Merry Christmas everyone!

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited December 2017
    Options

Ornaments I made for my kids; their names and Merry Christmas on the backs. (Designs from old Cross Stitcher magazines).

• chrissyb
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oh Tessu, they are lovely and such wonderful heirlooms of the future!

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks chrissyb :) I started in 2015 (my bc year) and plan to continue as long as I’m able. Wish I had started when they were born! Our tree is full of ornaments our kids made in school ages ago, some I crafted while still single, and lots of little things we’ve picked up while traveling (some actual ornaments, most not, LOL ). Decorating (and undecorating) brings back so many memories :)

• chrissyb
    edited December 2017
    Options

When you are decorating your tree hopefully one or more of your children or grandchildren are with you so you can share the stories and memories.