Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2017
    Options

One of the thing's that makes me sad about having taken up quilting later in life is all the times I think to myself "I wish I could show this to Grandmother." She was a very talented seamstress and very artistic. Nobody else would "get it" like she would have. She would have been proud of me

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited December 2017
    Options

chrissyb —it's been a family tradition for as long as I can remember that my younger son and I decorate our tree, even since he moved out for college. Older son not that interested, and husband would actuallly prefer to skip "all the Christmas fuss" LOL

• tessu
    edited December 2017
    Options

MelissaDallas I’m also a late starter. I tried to learn quilting at a community college class last January, but had to drop out because my chemo brain was still so bad, I couldn’t keep up, had trouble understanding the techniques. But I’m looking forward to trying again, on my own, when life settles down a bit after the New Year celebrations. I’m not back to my old normal, and maybe will never be, but I’mbetter than a year ago - and I’ve got all that fabric!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited July 2018
    Options

I don't do quilting but I do mostly plastic canvas and latch hook rugs. I am currently slogging through the one in the picture. After I get this one done I have some plastic canvas projects that I want to do before I tackle a latch hook rug an aunt gave me back in May when hubby and I were on vacation.

Instead of a rug as it is pictured, it might become a wall hanging.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited July 2018
    Options

OMG MOmmyof2!! That is stunning!! You don't have to be a quilter to be here, just a crafter. Most of us do multiple crafts so welcome.

If this is just a sample of what you do, I can't wait to see more.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited July 2018
    Options

I vote for wall hanging. Too nice to get dirty as a rug. Really beautiful.

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wow, I haven't seen this thread until tonight and I'm so glad I did! I just started quilting about 4 years ago and I sure wish I had started years and years ago! At 71, I have a lot of catching up to do. I have made about 10 comfort quilts to give to friends who have been ill, a few terminal but most have recovered, thankfully. My quilt that's just for me is being quilted and when I get it back and am done binding it, I will post a picture of it.

So glad I found this thread!

• chrissyb
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi Snikersmom, welcome! It doesn't matter when you start quilting just as long as you enjoy it. I was also a late starter.😁

How lovely of you to make comfort quilts, I'm perceiving a generous loving heart in you. I look forward to seeing your quilt once it's completed.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• m0mmyof3
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks all! Crafting keeps me sane.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wonderful wolves!

I love sewing too, started because of/for the kids... so mostly clothes (they grow out of it very quickly) or toys and occasional blanket too... I wondwr whether I will be able to sew during chemo 🤨 have found a chemo cap pattern and it would be the highest time to finish it with my chemo starting tomorrow

• chrissyb
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi JaBoo, welcome to you too!

There is no earthly reason why you couldn't see during chemo other than maybe a few days after treatment. It's good to try to do your normal things if at all possible.

Oh yes, I so remember sewing for my kids when they were young also......at one point of our lives I made my whole family's clothes! Much better for the budget and way more individual in style.😁

Good luck with your first chemo and I do hope it treats you gently while bashing the crap out of the cancer.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• m0mmyof3
    edited July 2018
    Options

Almost got the one wolf in the rug that is staring straight ahead finished.

• kayarose
    kayarose Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    Options

I just came across this thread and it made me smile. I have never been a big crafter (just plain no talent) but for some unknown reason while going through chemo I ordered a sewing machine online. I have never sewn a stitch in my life. The machine was on a "lightening" deal on Amazon and my malfunctioning chemo brain thought it was just what I needed. Ha. After buying the machine, I spent the next couple of weeks (in bed, sick as a dog) looking for a sewing cabinet to put my new machine on. I still remember how bad I felt watching my dh try to assemble it while I just watched - too sick to help.

What the heck was I thinking? Anyway, as it turns out, my chemo brain was right! I really struggled with chemo brain for quite some time. Just couldn't concentrate, remember things, well, you all know. My MO suggested I take up a very detailed hobby that would force me to focus. Ah ha, my sewing machine! I took a sewing class and made an apron (well, I called it an apron). Seriously, it helped me so much. I watched videos, took another class and although I'm not very good, I have made several pot holders, placemats, beach bags, clutch purses, etc. Everything in the "beginner" stage.

I now have a functioning brain (somewhat functioning anyway) and a lot of the credit goes to trying to figure out how to use my machine and actually make something with it. I'll never be a real seamstress but it has been fun.

I really would like to try quilting but am afraid it's way beyond my capabilities. I do admire those of you who are quilters. I am looking forward to following this thread. Thanks!

• wren44
    edited July 2018
    Options

I would start with a quilting class. One woman did that and in a year was making really gorgeous quilts. Saying that, I bought a book and learned with it. You need to use a rotary cutter to cut pieces and sew a straight line. There's a book called Quilt in a Day that has some easy patterns to start with. Also start with something small. Crib quilt or a wall hanging.

• snickersmom
    edited July 2018
    Options

Kayarose- Wren has good suggestions for you. Alex Anderson has written some very clear and easy books for beginners. I did exactly what she said and it helped get me started. But we live in a very large active adult community in Florida with 22 chapters, about 1400 quilters. So I got the added benefit of their expertise. Quilting has saved me through this whole lousy cancer crap. I can go into my sewing room and lose myself for hours. Just me, my rotary cutter and rulers, and my wonderful new machine!

• snickersmom
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi Chrissy! I spent 8 weeks in Australia 4 years ago at the home of a dear friend who lived in Mosman, just outside of Sydney. I fell in love with your beautiful country, friendly people, etc. Even though it was a short 8 weeks, I still miss it!!

• melissadallas
    edited July 2018
    Options

Craftsy has some good cheap beginners classes, and you will always have access to the classes you paid for. Lots of good youtube videos too. I hadn't sewed in thirty years when I took my first class. The hardest part for me was learning to cut accurately and sew a consistent scant 1/4" seam. I still struggle with it:

• m0mmyof3
    edited July 2018
    Options

The only thing I use my sewing machine for is to make curtains for my house and repair clothing when they need it.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited July 2018
    Options

chrisib - yes, I know I can surely sew during treatment, I just thought about the general fatigue between caring for my small kids... prior to diagnosis I was sewing almost exclusively at night, when they were asleep. I guess I will go to bed with the kids most of the time now. But I really have to sew that chemo cap. Just got my first chemo dose...

KayaRose, thats a great reason to start a hobby! You may learn a lot just from the internet... I started to sew in pregnancy and a patchwork blanket was the second thing I ever made. I just chose a simple pattern of squares. you will surely manage

• vampeyes
    vampeyes Member Posts: 523
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hello All,

There are some beautiful works of art on this thread, some very talanted women!

I am a quilter, scrapbooker, gardner, I just love crafting. I may not be great at any of it, but I still love trying and creating. Here are a couple quilts I did. The first one I donated to Cure for a Cause and the other I gave to a woman I knew who had just finished treatments. I haven't been in my sewing room for awhile now, my current project is a Harry Potter paper piecing quilt for a friend. Really need to get back in there and finish it.

• kayarose
    kayarose Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Just wanted to thank everyone for the encouragement. I may just try my hand at a simple quilt.

MelissaDallas, I discovered Craftsy, too. I love it. I learned a ton from that site. Also, the internet is amazing. You Tube has been a godsend to me. I do so much better when I can see what to do rather than simply read it. I guess I'm just more of a visual learner. The class I took was ok but with several women in a class of very, very beginners, the instructor had her hands full. I really took it to learn about the machine so I wouldn't break it through my ignorance.

Snickersmom, We recently bought a condo down in Bonita Springs, Florida and plan on spending our first winter down there this year. I can't wait. Chicago winters can be a nightmare and ever since all my treatments, I just can't take the cold anymore. I'll be taking my sewing machine down and plan on working on a few things here and there. I've already made flamingo pillows for the couch - very Florida, LOL.

JaBoo, I had the same chemo as you but I had mine before surgery. I had chemo then surgery then radiation. The AC part of chemo was a bit more difficult than the Taxol. My advantage over you is that I was 65 years old and retired. Your life at 38 with children is a lot busier than mine at 65, I'm sure. Just remember to take it easy on yourself. Drink lots of fluids (even though they may taste awful), rest when you need to and accept help when offered and needed. My favorite quote during chemo was from W. Churchill - "If you're going through hell, keep going." Wishing you good luck!

• snickersmom
    edited July 2018
    Options

Gorgeous!!

• tessu
    edited July 2018
    Options

I love this thread! Such beautiful projects!

I tried to take a quilting class a year ago at our community college, but had to drop out after 3 sessions because I my chemo brain was still so bad, I couldn’t follow the instructions or keep up with the homework. This, after having sewn a lot of my own clothes since my teen years (I’m in my 60’s now.) Bit by bit my brain’s recovering. I’ve been doing counted cross stitch embroidery (which was also very difficult at first, but has gotten easier with time.) Almost ready to try quilting again, maybe...Have to do something with all the pretty fabric pieces I bought for that quilting course!

MOmmyof2 I LOVE your wolves! Definitely put it on the wall so it doesn’t get desteoyed by feet!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2018
    Options

The rug of the two wolves is finally done. Started working on a plastic canvas house for a Christmas village I have been working on for at least a decade off and on.

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2019
    Options

I haven't sewnin a very long time! I started quilting after my first Dx in 2007. I made what I call my healing quilt. Have done many since then. I also crochet, water colours, colour, but haven't been very crafty lately. I'm looking for some inspiration!

Cheers all

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

I bought myself this fat quarter bundle, plus eight yards of the coral dandelion print after Christmas

• wren44
    edited January 2019
    Options

Sherry, There's also an art thread called Let's Make an Art Gallery. Feel free to post paintings there and quilts here. Do you have photos of some of the ones you've made?

Melissa, Can't wait to see what you do with that.

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

imagethis is the first quilt I made

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

I made this one for my best friend's 40th birthday gift

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

This one was fun to make! I fell in love with the border and the rest was based off of that. It's not quilted yet