Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2019
    Options

Congratulations Snickersmom! 

Lovely quilt made by a lovely lady! 

It looks like you learned a lot in your quilting adventures. Keep up the great work!

It deserves a place of honor in your home. 

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2019
    Options

Just found this thread! I am a sometimes quilter --not much in the past year since BC diagnosis, in part because my "she shack" is upstairs and in part because the last time I tried piecing before diagnosis (using a pattern I had used before) I couldn't figure out how to put a square together correctly ( can anyone say brain fog?). 2018 was a year of major and minor surgeries for me so I'm looking forward to getting back to the machine. I did finish a quilt my granddaughter, age 11, had started so she could have it for Christmas. Used fluffy batting and taught her how to tie it so she could say she finished it herself.

I, too, only machine quilt as arthritis in my thumbs gets very unhappy when I try to do hand quilting. I have a Pfaff which I am still learning to use as, just like the newer cars, it has so many features that I haven't figured them all out yet! I tend to stitch in and out of the ditch or in curvy lines; that way it is harder to tell if a variation is a mistake or on purpose.

Snickersmom, congrats on your prize. If yours was honorable mention the others must have been over the top! Very detailed blocks.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Beaverntx, welcome! Yes, I think we all at some point have had (and some still do) that pesky brain fog but eventually it lifts enough to allow us back to enjoy the things we do.

I'm still working on extending a sing quilt into a queen size for my niece but have been dealing with as whole host of docs again due to progression. My machine is sitting quietly with it's new partner, a specialized quilting machine with a much larger throat (a gift from my nearest and dearest) just waiting for me to feel like getting stuck in once again. In the meantime, between visits and in the waiting rooms, I sit and crochet granny squares for snuggle rugs for my three great granddaughters and the new babe on the way.

Keep up the good work all as I love seeing what you have accomplished.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• beaverntx
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thank you, chrissyb. My other craft at the moment is crocheting my first "knitted knocker".

• chrissyb
    edited January 2019
    Options

Beaverntx, that sounds like a perfect thing to crochet. If you can, when you are done, post a pick so we can all see.

• beaverntx
    edited January 2019
    Options

Actually, I crocheted half a knitted knocker-- tissue removed during my surgery was from the lower half of my breast and regular bra fillers (protheses) are too big. My bra fitter says I need a pusher or push up. She did provide one at my last visit but I wanted to see how the yarn one does in anticipation of hot Texas weather! Knitted knockers.org only has instructions for the full knocker as they state they serve mastectomy patients. I had a partial mastectomy so need a partial knocker.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2019
    Options

Wow Beaverntx, you've done a good job of making a half foob! Hope it fits well and does the job nicely for you.

• beaverntx
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks, chrissyb. At the very least it should be better than a folded sock!

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2019
    Options

If they don't fit the way you want them to, send me a PM and I'll send you my knitted knockers. I got them at the American Cancer Society office and also got a pair specifically for my bathing suit from the group that makes them. You can take out as much of the polyfill as you want so maybe you could make them fit.

Ann

• beaverntx
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thank you, Snickersmom, for your kind offer. I tried the foob on before finishing closing it so it fits -- and I'm really interested in a prop and am feeling more comfy since my bra fitter found a silicone one for me. Just looking for an alternative to the silicone when we get summer weather in the 90s and higher with high humidity. I used the knitted knockers crochet pattern but only made the front half, not sure how the organization would feel about that, but it appears to meet my needs. Have enough of the requisite yarn to make at least one more so can have one to wear and one in the laundry. 😊

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Good for you! I think that's great!

Ann/Snickersmom

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited January 2019
    Options

My latest latch hook project

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

beautiful!!

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2019
    Options

What beautiful sunflowers! Added some brightness to a very cold dreary day in southwestern Ontario

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited January 2019
    Options

That is downright cheery! Beautiful.

• beaverntx
    edited January 2019
    Options

MOmmyof 2, Thanks for sharing. A cheery sight on a grey day!

• m0mmyof3
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks. Probably won’t bind them until later this year.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2019
    Options

MOmmyof2, that rug is a stunner! Thanks for sharing.

• m0mmyof3
    edited February 2019
    Options

yw

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited March 2019
    Options

Ladies, I'm new to this thread, but not to BCO. I have made 5 quilts in the past, mostly 4-,9-, and 16-squares. I machine sew the tops, then finish the quilting by hand. My machine is an inexpensive Montgomery Ward 1977 model. It's gumming up stitches in the bobbin and the tension isn't right, even after several visits to the repair shop. It's been a workhorse, but it's time for a new one.

Here's the thing. I just need something straight- forward, nothing fancy. I don't want to spend a lot, under $150, if possible. I only use the machine to sew straight lines and make simple dresses for girls. I'd like to have something easily portable, too (mine is in a cabinet.) I've read lots of reviews on Amazon, but I come away confused.

Is there a reasonably priced, lightweight portable machine that's easy to use and sees reliably?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited March 2019
    Options

I would consider looking at used machines. A lot of people I know need to downsize and have not sewed for a few years (I may turn out to be one of them). I have a Singer DH bought me about 8 years ago and I believe it was under $200. A lot of sewing machine places refurbish trade-ins. My Mom made school dresses for me on a old treadle that had been rigged to be electric.

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2019
    Options

MustLovePoodles... singer and brother make some no frills machines with some very basic stitches as extras or even with no extras. Check walmart

I wish you lived near me I'd give you a machine... it belonged to my MIL who passed away in July and has under 10 hours on it

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited March 2019
    Options

Don’t buy a Singerthey are very poor quality now.

• melissadallas
    edited March 2019
    Options

http://www.eversewn.com/maker200

For 150 I would look at this Eversewn mechanical machine.

• snickersmom
    edited March 2019
    Options

Must love -- when I first started quilting about 4 years ago, I researched for hours and every site and everyone I talked to recommended the Brother 6000si and so that's what I bought. What a workhorse that machine has turned out to be!! It has about 60 stitches on it, which I have rarely used, and cost me $147 on Amazon. I would not hesitate to recommend it for any type of sewing. it's very lightweight, which makes it very portable. I honestly love it!

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. This gives me a starting place.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi, all! So glad to find this topic. I'm a serious quilter, but pretty derailed from it since my diagnosis at the end of February. Well, that, plus I was out of town for 3 weeks in March/April, and then came home to surgery! But my brain sure isn't engaged in quilting right now. That's sort of okay with me and sort of disappointing.

Let's see if this works -- this is my most recent quilt. It's a baby quilt for my 3-week old grandson. My son is in the Air Force.

• melissadallas
    edited April 2019
    Options

Very. cute baby quilt! I am trying to talk myself into trimming 400+ half square triangles so I can sew the last twelve blocks of this one. There needs to be more sewing & less ironing & cutting;)

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited April 2019
    Options

Really pretty colors, Melissa. I love working with HST -- once they're already made!

• snickersmom
    edited April 2019
    Options

Melissa - I agree! More sewing! I'd love to have someone to cut everything for me. And iron it, too!

Mountain - welcome to this forum. That's a really cute quilt. I have only been quilting/sewing for about 5 years. I found that quilting was the one thing that helped me keep my sanity throughout this madness called breast cancer. I started a quilt just before my diagnosis and finished it almost exactly on my one year anniversary date. I was able to go into my she cave, turn on music, and lose myself in trying to follow a pattern, cutting, etc. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have that. That quilt now hangs in my living room and every time I look at it, I am reminded of how far I've come. I entered it into our Showase of Quilts in January and won Honorable Mention! Anyway, welcome!