Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2019
    Options

This is the first one I quilted on my own machine. I was so afraid of wrecking it

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

imageThis is the first one that I quilted myself on my little machine. I was so afraid of wrecking it

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited January 2019
    Options

Those are SO CHEERFUL! They would brighten any room. I was going to ask if you quilt by hand or machine. I have to do machine. My hand sewing goes up and down - just like my handwriting.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited January 2019
    Options

Very pretty Sherry.

Wren, I have no idea what I’m going to do with it, but I have learned my lesson about not picking up a fabric line I really like because it will all be gone fast. Besides, everyone was running sales:)

I need to get with it on my quilting. I have multiple unfinished projects and I always swore I was never going to do that. Too much other stuff going on over the holidays

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

MelissaDallas, thank you! I love your fabric. I remember when I first started I took a class at my local quilting shop and I remember asking how many projects people had on the go. I always thought I'd have to finish one before starting another. Haha, that didn't last very long!

Wren44, thank you!I could never hand quilt! My grandmother did all of her quilting by hand! I love my machine!

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2019
    Options

I don't hand quilt, either. Depending on the size, sometimes I send me out to be quilted. It's pretty inexpensive here.

Where I am in Florida, there are over 1300 quilters who belong to our quilting guild. I think we now have about 20+ chapters and each of them has between 40-75 members. It's pretty amazing. These women are so knowledgeable! I'll have to see if I can post some of the ones I've made. Our Showcase of Quilts is the end of this month, so I've been trying to get mine finished in time.

This is the first one I made. It was for my youngest daughter for Christmas. She lives on the North Shore of Boston very close to the beach.

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

I made this one for a dear friend going through horrible chemo for neck cancer. He's a huge Broncos fan. This is the front; the back was Broncos fabric. My husband's feet got in the picture!

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

I made this for my sister, who is a classical pianist.

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Sherry - your quilts are beautiful! I can't believe you quilted that big one on your home machine! what kind do you have?

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited January 2019
    Options

Mellisa I agree, I once bought only a few fabrics from a wonderfull fabrics line and thought that I could buy the rest later... well, it was nowhere to get! your fabric bundle is beautiful.

I am sewing clothes, mostly... I love all those quilts here! I admire your work very much!

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

JaBoo, I have done some epic (and expensive) searches putting together, piece by piece, fabrics from an old line. I’m trying not to do it again..

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom your quilts are beautiful! I usually sent mine out to be quilted as well but really wanted to try one. I practiced on an old sheet! I found that I do not meander very well! When I did the big quilt I tended to stay to straight lines. My machine is an entry level Janome

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

I have a Brother Innov-Is 700 Project Runway. It has a nice 9" throat but I still hesitate to try to quilt anything big. I would love to try a quilt as you go but haven't tackled one yet. I was so busy with table runners, etc. for Christmas so now I have time for other things. I want to make a quilt for each of my 4 granddaughters that is specific to each of them. The youngest is 11 and the oldest is almost 14, so I guess I better get going! I have all of the fabrics I want to use for each one of them, but now I have to figure out a pattern to use. Quilting has been my lifeline since my diagnosis. I can lose myself for hours and that has really helped me. Our "den" became my sewing room/she shed, and my DH has been great about helping me make that room all mine!

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

I don't meander well at all either! So anything I do usually ends up stitch in the ditch. I really need to practice quilting!!!

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

I think the quilting is part of my problem with unfinished projects. Sandwiching is hard. I want my quilting on my domestic machine to look like Judi Madsen’s on her long arm, so I am dissatisfied with “plain” home quilting, but when I try getting elaborate it is too labor intensive. I’m not a big fan of computerized edge to edge, but it is the only reasonably priced option to have someone else do it, and even that can cost well over $100

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Melissa - I usually only pay about $50 for edge to edge (depending on the size of the quilt). I just had a 60x60 quilt custom quilted for our Showcase of Quilts and she charged me $147.00. And it's absolutely gorgeous. I think it depends on where you live as to what the long armers charge. I made a whole bunch of 12x12 squares of sandwiched muslin and that's what I practice on but I haven't been able to master anything yet. So when I do it myself, I end up doing stitch in the ditch or just straight lines. It's very frustrating. There's a good book called "Machine Quilting Made Easy!" By Maurine Noble that has really helped me. Do you have it? It's very easy to follow. that being said, I'm still practicing!!!

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Okay, I am going to have to brag!! I made a quilt called I Love Us that I saw online. I started it just after my BMX in June, 2017 and finished in in May, 2018 just in time for my one year anniversary. So we call it my recovery quilt.

Our Showcase of Quilts show is coming up at the end of this month and a friend in my quilting chapter made me enter my quilt, even though I really didn't want to. And guess what - I won a prize!!!! I will find out on the 25th how I placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd, honorable mention). I suspect honorable mention, which would be fine with me. I'm still in shock and I'm so proud!!!

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom: Yay! You’ll have to post a picture of it.

Is it this pattern?

https://www.inbetweenstitches.com/shop/Patterns/p/I-Love-Us-x9104370.htm

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Yup, that's it!

• wren44
    edited January 2019
    Options

I think you should get honorable mention just for finishing it. It looks like a whole lot of work.

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

Really cute pattern. I’ve only done stems for applique once and that will hold me for a long time..

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom, that is so exciting! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing it!

• josieo
    josieo Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2019
    Options

congrats! You worked hard and you’ve received a nice reward. Adds something nice to your recovery date!

Looking forward to a photo- of your quil and the prize.

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thankyou all for your supportive comments. I'll find out on the 25th and my DH will be taking a picture of me with the quilt, so I'll post it then.

Melissa - the stems are actually made from a strip of double bias tape. There was just no way I could do it myself and have it turn out looking like a stem!!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited January 2019
    Options

Currently working on a latch hook rug with two sunflowers in the design. Got it from an aunt last year who never had time to work on it

• snickersmom
    edited January 2019
    Options

Here I am with my quilt. I got Honorable Mention in my category. I have only been quilting 4-1/2 years, so I am very excited that I really won something! I think of this as my "recovery" quilt because I started it a few weeks after my BMX and finished it just before my first anniversary. It's going to hang on the wall somewhere in the house!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2019
    Options

Congratulations Snickersmom! Fantastic achievement and your quilt definitely deserves the honorable mention........it's gorgeous!

• melissadallas
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom: I LOVE your quilt. So pretty and cheerful. Congratulations!

• sherry35
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom your quilt is beautiful! Congratulations

• wren44
    edited January 2019
    Options

Snickersmom, It's a totally cheery quilt and deserved it's honorable mention. It also looks like it was a lot of work.