Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece, 

I find needle tatting so much easier, and I work so tightly that I have had shuttle tatters look twice to see if they could tell it was needle tatted.  I have to have a pair of pliers to pull the needle through some times.  I also crochet really tight, so if it has to fit anybody you can forget about it.  That leaves me crocheting scarves, afghans, and doilys.  I have some old magazines with lots of doily patterns charted out, that I make from those.  I try to read the printed out word and abbreviation patterns and know that I must be dyslexic in some way.  Those words do not translate into anything like the picture looks like.  Does anybody else have that problem?

Becky 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited January 2011
    Options

I have never tried to crochet anything by pattern.  Other than scarves, afghans I don't crochet.  My grandma had to teach me, because I cannot hold the hook the right way, and my mother was unable to teach me taking that into consideration.  My grandma just had patience and just went with my stubborn little 8 year old hands.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I will try anything once. I love all crafting. Glass is my first love, but hey, you only have so many windows and it's an expensive craft. So I use a LOT of colour in my wall quilts. I've made all the way up to a king just to prove to myself that I could do it. I need a sort of quasi/messy/organized craft room to be creative. I am in a funk cause I can't find my pink tackle box that has my most expensive beads in it! DH thinks it may still be in the garage with other boxes that didn't come inside during the move. I asked why I bothered labelling EVERY box if they just made it up on moving day???? Yell
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited January 2011
    Options

Becky - I have tried to read crochet patterns but seem it get it wrong everytime.  I am one who needs to see it done and then I can copy it.  I am a"visual" person.  Quilt patterns I have no problem with most of the time.

All my health insurance stuff I keep for 2 years.  Having military insurance, I can always get copies if I missed something.  Hate to file and keep up with the stuff. 

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Cindy - Welcome to our group.  This thread is not just for quilters.  We would love to see pictures of your rugs.  That's what it is all about - sharing crafts and maybe getting others interested in new stuff.  Hang out with us and have fun.
  • samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hillik, welcome to our little - and expanding - craft room.  I have made a couple of rugs but I crochet them with a big needle and use strips of fabric. It was fun to learn but I only made something big enough for a table runner or small for in front of the door.

I've taken this neck wrap apart 4 times now.... can't seen to get the right width that I'm looking for. Don't want it to strangle my DD when she wears it because it's to big and bulky. Smile It's a process of learning ... right?

• barbe1958
    edited January 2011
    Options

Cindy, if by traditional rug making, do you mean pulling the wool up through burlap? I had a kit for years and finally finished a very, very long wall hanging with bunnies. I must get a picture and post it. I'm pretty proud of it. It ruined my fingers though! I had to tape them with masking tape as the wool and burlap were rough.....

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited January 2011
    Options

I don't quilt, but I love looking at it...

I took some pix of some I loved

• socallisa
    edited January 2011
    Options

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lisa - Those are beautiful.  Whoever did those is really talented.

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

Welcome, Cindy.

I am similar to Barbe as I will try anything once.  I have a bunch of beads but haven't done beading in years.  Many years ago I did a lot of latch hooking.  Probably still have a latch hook or two in some box.  I have done punch needle embroidery, too.  Unfortunately crafting isn't about using left over or throw away stuff like it once was, it costs plenty to start a new hobby.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Meece - I know what you mean. That is why I don't start too many new things.  The cost is sometimes too much.  I don't quilt all the time - I do Swedish Embroidery too.  I will have to get the camera out and take pictures of the afghans I have done.  I like to do that cuz I can sit in front of the TV or do it in the car when we are traveling.

• barbe1958
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lisa, was the second one a Joan Colvin?

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

This quilt was done by a close friend of the subjects, who are my friends.  I found the picture just by typing quilt and their names in Google.  The quilter has recieved awards for her portrait quilts.

I have seen this quilt in person at the subjects' home and it is amazing.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

It does look amazing - that is one talented person.

• socallisa
    edited January 2011
    Options

Barbe I have no idea who did it?

• socallisa
    edited January 2011
    Options

Barbe, I do know it was called Pirouette

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lisa - Although my avatar says I am in Texas, I am originally from Riverside, CA.  I see you are in San Diego - such a beautiful city.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    edited January 2011
    Options

That portrait quilt is amazing!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2011
    Options

I saw this the other day but just now posting. I too am an avid quilter. I do mostly wall quilts that I hung in my office, (when I had a job), or baby quilts. I did however do a queen size quilt when my quilt guild did a mystery quilt program in 2008, I got it machine quilted last year and am getting the binding sewn on now. The ladies in my guild didn't believe that I could make the top large enough for a queen size bed because they only purchased the amount of fabric on the list and couldn't find fabric for borders on their quilts. When getting the fabric, I went to my mother's very large stash and got about half of the fabric I needed so I had extra yardage. I normally prefer hand quilting but I wanted to get the 'mystery' quilt finished and bartered a filet crochet name dresser scarf for the machine quilting.

I also crochet both with yarn and thread. My passion in crocheting is making the lace snowflakes. last year I made about 10 dozen. Right now I am crocheting with lion brand 'fun fur' some fun chemo caps for a friend who is undergoing chemo as well as some for the local wig bank. 

Sheila 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2011
    Options

When my niece was born 15 weeks premmy, it was a tough time for all especially my brother and SIL.  We were lucky and she has grown to be a bright, healthy happy four year old.  For her first birthday, I made her  memory quilt with all her 'firsts' commemorated by tranferring photographs to fabric and creating a quilt.  I do have a photograph of it somewhere so when I find it I'll post so you can see.  I remember when I gave her the parcel, all she wanted was the ribbon it was tied with but my SIL burst into tears when she saw it.  That was not my intention to upset her and I told her this and she said the quilt didn't upset her, she just thought it was so beautiful.

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Sheila - Can we see some pictures of your projects?  

• Meece
    edited January 2011
    Options

Would absolutely love to see pictures of these projects.

• socallisa
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi Jo, San Diego is perfect today..sunny and high seventies with dry humidity

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lisa - Would live to be there.  It is cold and rainy here.  We do need the rain though. I love CA but DH  does not.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited January 2011
    Options

I would like to post some pictures but can't figure out if I can post them from facebook or not.

Sheila 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited January 2011
    Options

Sheila (and everyone else still 'learning')

If you have a picture posted on Facebook, all you have to do is cut and paste it here to BCO.

"Control C" on the picture while in FB, and then come into the body of the post on BCO and click

"Control V"......... sometimes it seems to post directly, sometimes there's a little message that says, "Do you want to blah blah blah"......... sometimes it seems to take me about three times to click the "Control V" command here, but eventually it seems to get here directly -- as in, you don't need to go thru Photobucket or yet another site to upload the photo.

Don't get frustrated, be persistant and voila -- it will land here.

Can't wait!!!!

****edited to add: if your photo is 'anywhere' on the web -- like I have mine on my blog perhaps, but not on FB, the same 'direct' cut/paste process will work

• jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options
    faithandfifty - To post a picture, once you have copied the url image of your picture - go to the Post A Reply box and left click on the green square next to the smiley face.  A box will come up and you will see a line that says Image URL - right click on it - image description should come up - click insert at the bottom of the box and your picture should show up in the reply box - then hit submit.  Give that a try. I think I got that right - I do it without thinking about it.
  • jo1955
    edited January 2011
    Options

• lvtwoqlt
    edited January 2011
    Options

I tried the copy paste but I am using google chrome as my browser and it won't let me copy/paste  Yell. I will see if my son can help me do this when he is not doing homework.

Sheila