Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

YAHOOOO!!!! Congratulations, and welcome to the light at the end of the tunnel!!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Nora-my bil is my dentist. I hate the dentist. I lie to him during numbing so he gives me more. He also makes me take a valium as i get so stressed out. Gas gives me a headache and diesnt work. I end up looking like a stroke victim and i dont care.

I typed up a timeline of all my procedures and one for medications. I would give it to the docs and they still made me repeat it. I said i was a little bothered that they didnt read it. They all said they like to hear it from the patient. Finally told them my memory isnt that good and i am tired of repeating it. They could read while i waited. Made them laugh but they also reviewed it then.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

Fluffqueen....

I have to laugh when you said your BIL is a dentist. I HATE going to the dentist too. They give me gas just to have my teeth cleaned. Anything more than that they give me conscious sedation. Yes, I am a HUGE baby.

Soooooo when I was having my port removed and just hopped up on the table with a great attitude yet a bit nervous what does the guy tell me? "This is so easy, it's just like going to the dentist!!"  To which I got more panicked when I declared, "I hate the dentist!"

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

Off to the onc to find out the results of my many blood tests about my low platelets.  Wish me luck that I do, in fact, have a Vit. B deficiency.  Otherwise she says we will need to look at my bone marrow.  I'm thinking it's the B though b/c I've been eating a plant based diet since August, and B deficiency is common with that.  Seems like too much of a coincidence to be anything else.

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Nora_az  Do they have a theory as to why you dont respond to numbing?  She numbed me well and I couldnt feel a thing, but I could hear her instruments cutting away the scar tissue, and her pulling to get it out.  just kinda creepy feeling.  I have dissolvable sutures, and can shower today. Even though kind of sore last night, I still slept better than having it in.

Funny about the dentist...I also get the gas and lots of numbing before they even look at me, maybe a valium would help. 

• nora_az

Carberry

I never thought about the fact that I may have issues with Novocaine in general prior to this. I have never had it other than at the dentist. Never have had to have stitches anything like that to need novocaine anywhere other than my mouth during my lifetime. Something for me to take note of for the future.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

My BIL is a dentist too. Wish he was local but I do love my current one.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

saralmom - good luck and also hoping it is a B deficiency only!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Good luck Saralmom!

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

My platelets rebounded and are almost in the normal range.  No Vit. B or folate deficiency either.  Hooray!  Just watching them in my bloodwork every 3 months for now.  I'm going to start a B-12 supp today just in case though.  Thanks for the luck.

• nora_az

Oh that's sounds great saralmom!  Good news!  I bet you are relieved

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

saralmom - yay!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Good news saralmom!

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

Nora:  I too have some issues with numbing at the dentist - they always give me 3 shots no matter what I'm having done.  When I was supposed to be having my four wisdom teeth out, I woke up and he told me that I kept waking up so they only could get three of them out because I had used up all the sedation that they were allowed to give!  Had to go back a month later and do it again!

One of my six kids has a condition called Ehlers-Danlos (you can look it up) and people with it sometimes have trouble with numbing.  The geneticist that she sees says that I have it too, so I always assumed that's why I don't numb well.  Some people have it and don't even know it (like I do) but my little one just happens to have it to a much higher degree than me so she was diagnosed really early (I think she was 5) - she has numbing issues at the dentist also.

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178

Thank God I numb well!!!!   Sounds like a nightmare!! I have heard of people being sedated and unable to move or speak, but feel EVERYTHING!!!  I thought about that before I had my bmx. How horrible!!!

Congratulations to Carberry and Saralmom!!!

• nora_az

achpurple,

I have never heard of that disorder. I'll have to look it up, thx

bucky,

Yes, I have thought of that one a couple times before surgery too. Hoping to God that I wasnt one of those people you hear about who are sedated but feel and hear everything. That would be a total nightmare! I dont think that happens too often thank goodness!

• nora_az

Dang I have a sore throat AGAIN! I called my ONC office a week ago today. I told them I was having sore throats and did it have anything to do with treatments, did I need to be seen or what. Told her it was being treated by my family doctor and I had already had one refill of antibiotics. She (the onc nurse) said she would review it with the onc nurse practitioner and get back with me. I got a call and she put me on augmentin and Ive been on it since Friday. I now have a horrible sore throat again WHILE on augmentin. This has been going off and on since September!

I do have a Doctor appointment with my PCP on Wednesday. Just a follow up. Should I insist he cultures it? They keep trying to treat me yet never have they cultured it. I also noticed yesterday that my left lymph node in my neck is swollen. It swells quite often when I am run down/sick

• lago

Nora do you have heartburn too? If yes the sore throat could be from acid reflux. I had reflux so bad several years back I lost my voice.

• nora_az

No heartburt at all. Just a scratchy sore throat. No post nasal drip either.

My only symptoms....I feel run down, my lymph node in my neck is swollen and I have a sore throat.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Hope you feel better soon nora!
  • arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Nora:  Get well soon.  I think you should ask for a culture.

• neetah74
    neetah74 Member Posts: 10

Scheduled to get my port in at 7:45 am Thursday & then right over to start the 1st infusion. Ordered the wig today hope it comes in on time. Gotta get all the meds now. Fun Fun!!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Good luck neetah74. You will be grateful for the port. What chemo cocktail are you having? You should also look for a December chemo thread in the chemotherapy forum. It helps to have others going through it with you, even if it is only on line.

• nora_az

Yep....the ONC office called today and referered me to my PCP. I will call on Monday if I am feeling worse, otherwise I already have a follow up appointment on Wednesday morning.

Neetah....Good Luck with everything!!  Let us know how it went.

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

Its been awhile since I posted,,,,,,, hope you feel better and get some answers Nora. Good luck Neehta on your chemo and port.

Hugs

• Judy67
    Judy67 Member Posts: 213

Hello Ladies,  sorry I haven't checked in lately.  Trying to get everything done before my surgery yesterday.  I had my exchange done and my new silicone foobs feel so much nicer than the expanders. 

I also had my port placed.  My BS placed the port from my chest up in my neck to my jugular instead of going to my heart.  Anyone ever heard of that.  My husband thinks it's because I requested to have port placed on the left side instead of the right.  My neck is really sore today.

• nora_az

I'm glad your surgery went well! 

Mine was done the same way and it was on my left side as well. They placed it there because the BC was on my right breast. I dont know why that would make a difference since I had a double mastectomy but it made sense to him  :)

Yea, I remember my neck was killing me too. You'll get used to it in time. Just get plenty of rest. You'll learn to really appreciate your port!  I didnt like mine but was soooo happy to have it during all my treatments.

• Judy67
    Judy67 Member Posts: 213

Thanks Nora!

• lago
    Judy67 my port surgeon (Yes he really does specialize in placing vascular devices) discussed the possibility of placing my port in the neck if he couldn't get access in the other place. I don't remember the details (over a year ago) but I do specifically remembering him mentioning it.
  • dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Judy67 Do you mean that your actual port was placed in your chest and there is a catheter tube running from the port, over the collar bone and up to your neck with a small incision at the jugular vein (or am I misunderstanding)? That's how mine was placed on the left side by my vascular surgeon-I think it's the common placement. Mine was really sore for approximately a week and I couldn't sleep on that side for a while...