Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

One of the oncs told me mine was 'environmental'.

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Yaya and Kay...very interesting about you both being twins and so far no bc in your sibs. I would think drs would be interested in that too.

What strikes me as a newcomer is that most of us are much younger than the averge age for bc diagnosis. Perhaps being in an online forum distorts this. Many older women don't use the internet as a resource as readily.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Here are the age stats from the NCI:

From 2004-2008, the median age at diagnosis for cancer of the breast was 61 years of age. Approximately 0.0% were diagnosed under age 20; 1.9% between 20 and 34; 10.2% between 35 and 44; 22.6% between 45 and 54; 24.4% between 55 and 64; 19.7% between 65 and 74; 15.5% between 75 and 84; and 5.6% 85+ years of age.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Hi- 57 at Dx.  Maternal 2 aunts- Mother, Grandmother.  BrCa 1 & 2 no, As the genetisist says, "Familial, not genetic".  translation- probably genitic, but we haven't found the right gene to say.  I am the youngest in my family history- and post menopausal 3 years. It is different for me than for many of you.  i can't tell you how impressed i am with all of you younger people, i stand in awe of you.  i really, really wish NONE of you were here though. As for the skewing of the stats on the board, I am pretty sure you are correct- most of the people I know my age, are not terribly computer savy and I'd say at least half of them don't even think of the internet as an asset most of the time.Of course, I consider myself ultra savy!  LOL.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

41 (maybe just turned 42 I can't remember if it was before my bday that week or after) at Dx.  First BC in the family.  Exactly 1 year later my first cousin, 51, diagnosed same cancer, same side, same size, same place....how weird is that?!

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

46yrs at diagnosis for me. No familial history before and no risk factors except Some extra weight that crept on over the past 2 years.

Jenn

• TonLee

Ya know, I really have to wonder about that whole "weight increases your risk" thing.  In almost two years I may have seen a hand full of chubby (not obese) women in the chemo room and rads.  I know my experience doesn't change the science, but literally I was in tx with athletes, life long athletes.  It kept me wondering....

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I have not seen any obese women at my cancer center, most patients, especially the younger ones are quite thin. And contrary to what most of you have experienced, a lot of young women there.

My twin sister had to have a hysterectomy at 40 because of fibroids. I wonder if that saved her from breast cancer. Y cutting off estrogen.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

i have not seen obese in my center either. What I have seen is what I was a year ago....overweight and sedentary. I have since dropped 25-30 pounds (depending on the day) and developed an exercise routine.

I also wonder about the hysterectomy part. I have fibroids, and have for decades. ten years ago, ob/gyn was recommending hysterectomy, but they were not bothering me so I decided that I didn't need to ask for trouble. Then, as I got older, still having periods, he changed his diagnosis to don't have the hysterectomy. I was still having regular periods with no real sign of menopause, and he thought it was keeping me off of hormones.

Then, at 55, I am diagnosed. I think that is a contributing factor, and I too wonder if I had chosen to have the hysterectomy, if I would be clear. I had one maternal aunt diagnosed in the the 50's, at age 40 who had a radical mastectomy and radiation and lived to be 94. Another maternal aunt was diagnosed about 6 years ago, at age 84. She had no treatment other than taking some kind of pill. She is now 90 and stll going.

My mom had a hysterectomy in her late 40's due to fibroids. No BC.

• TonLee

My OB said having an Ooph will eliminate fibroids without leaving a big hole (Where the uterus used to be) that eventually causes complications in 3 out of 4 women long term.  (I'm having Ooph Friday).

I DO think there is a link before dx.  Mostly because studies show pre-meno women with BC can help reduce the risk of recurrence by up to 30% with an Ooph.  I know women talk about loving estrogen, take HRT for it.  For me though, its practically poison.

• fluffqueen01

my appointment with my ob/gyn was changed to later this month as he had a delivery emergency. I am going to ask about that!

I just had a friend that was diagnosed with uterine cancer. I told her I thought I would be the person with that next, due to tamoxifen.

• omaz
    TonLee - If the chemo put me into menopause - which seems to have stuck so far (yay, estrogen levels 5 and 11 when last measured, I am 53) an ooph probably wouldn't help (as long as I take tam or an AI), true?
  • TonLee

Omaz,

Yes, that is my understanding.  If you aren't having periods then the chemo shut down your ovaries.

When I say pre-meno I mean still ovulating with the hormones to go along with it.

The KEY is to stop estrogen from plugging into cancer cells , but when a woman is producing her own, there is a "competition" for those cells between the AI/Tamox and natural estrogen.  I know I've dumbed that down, but its the only way I can wrap my head around it..lol.  Which is why when a woman is still ovulating and she has an Ooph (which eliminates most of her natural estrogen) she has up to a 30% better outcome.

They're taking my ovaries because the ovaries won't stop producing estrogen.  Yours stopped and if they don't start up again, its the "same" result.

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Anyone know anything about luminal A and B subtypes?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Triple positive is luminal B

linky 1

linky 2

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi ashla

here are the wanted dates :

Figure 4.9

Subtype

These tumors tend to be*

Prevalence

Luminal A

ER+ and/or PR+, HER2-, low Ki67

42-59%

Luminal B

ER+ and/or PR+, HER2+ (or HER2- with high Ki67)

6-19%

Triple negative/basal-like

ER-, PR-, HER2-, cytokeratin 5/6 + and/or HER1+

15-20%

HER2+

ER-, PR-, HER2+

7-12%

*These are the most common profiles for each subtype. However, not all tumors within each subtype will have all these features.

I' sending you a detailed PM!

Best

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi ashla, I'm sending you a detailed PM about!

Te deleted one wasn't understandable!

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

43 when diaganosed........ mom had breast cancer at 52. Makes you wonder hey???? Just being tested now for BRCA.

On another note I have a question....... how long did you ladies wait to start an excercise program??? I am almost 3 weeks post rads, still not able to wear a bra really but need to get active again. Hoping that the excercise will help my arm out as well,,,,,still has that pain and burning I first felt after the lymph node removal ughhhh. Radiation has certainly made it feel worse. when did you ladies start to use deoderant again???? Thanks ladies

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661

Well girls - I've been de-ported lol

Had it out on Friday, no problems, still a little tender, and very itchy - but I think the itchiness is from the dressing.

I feel great!  Feel like I've closed an awful chapter in my life, and starting back with the good stuff... now if I could only ignore that blasted Arimidex for the next 4 years, life would be pretty near perfect.

Trish

xoxo

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

yay for trish!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I was actually going to start an exercise program suggested by my MO. It is called PAL. They are using it to see if it helps prevent lymphedema or flares if you have lymphedema. I had to postpone it because I got lymphedema before I could start. Started the program last week. Tomorrow is the second of four sessions.

Saw the gyn today. Completely forgot about asking about ooph. She removed two polyps from my uterus. Apparently tamoxifen causes them. Now I have to get an ultrasound of the uterus to make sure there are no more. Oh joy.

• omaz
    Yay Trish!!
  • omaz
    Thanks for the links lago. I came across this discussion of therapy choices, LINK, the section on 'endocrine treatment' on page 139 is very interesting.  
  • lago

link didn't work. could you put the hyperlink in so I can copy and paste?

• omaz

http://www.oncoconferences.ch/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=98911

The journal Breast Care published a summary of the SG-BCC 2011 consensus. Please find here a free-of-charge download of the atricle, a courtesy of the publisher S. Karger Verlag. Many thanks from SONK for this opportunity! 

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Hey Omaz, thanks so much for posting that consensus article.  It provided some valuable information for me on treatment of t1A tumors. 

• lago

Yes thanks for that article. Still going through it.

• fluffqueen01

Tatoo Tuesday!

Nervous about getting my nipple tatoos tomorrow...and I have a bonus of my free restylane too. I am going to take an ativan or a valium. I have a few squirreled away for special occasions.

I am reading all the info on the studies that Mayo is starting and the one at Wake Forrest. Sheesh....I need a medical dictionary.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Good luck Fluffqueeen. How exciting to be at the end of the journey!!

KennyLynn...I started exercising as soon as my skin healed from rads. I worried about the sweat causing infection and held off until the skin was no longer broken open (UGH!!)

I am behind here on this thread, but no family history, raised vegetarian, slim and a lifelong competitive athlete. Go figure!!

• fluffqueen01

Thanks Gee whiz...not quiteat the end...my S does tatoos first, then waits a month and does the nipples. In my case, when he does the nipples, he will also do some fat grafting around the area that was infected and putting some more in the upper poles. Also having abdomen lipo done.

I feel like it will all not ever really be done.