Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Fitz33

While it's true about questionnable sourcing on that particular list food recommendations...there is really not much about the foods recommended that is controversial. A very long and varied list of extremely nutrient rich foods. Not like they're saying eat dirt or something.

I read all the nutrition stuff . Can't hurt.

• nancedawg
    nancedawg Member Posts: 61

I want to lie on my side!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    nance I think that took about a year before I could do that and find it comfortable… and with the LE I try not to do that on the left side. I used to be a belly sleeper. I know longer find that comfortable with my larger boobie prizes. Life changes us.
  • arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Wow, great news in here today.  Congrats Jackboo.

Thanks for the link Ashla.  So cool about the Herceptin.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Cute picture Arlene!

nance - I remember.  It does get better. 

• Fitz33
    Fitz33 Member Posts: 123

Asla, I agree that it's a good nutrition list but there are other foods that should be added. Some women go overboard, like my neighbor who is 10 yrs out, eating spinach to the point she describes it as inhaling it every night. Whatever works. My ONP said to have everything in moderation, not to eliminate anything unless you just don't like it.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Omaz- I will try to cut and paste a few links from Pubmed about the icing of the fingers. Lots of studies to choose from. I googled and came up with plenty. I am working off an ipad, and can barely turn the sucker off and on. So, when my tech team comes around (teenage daughter, lol), I will see what I can
    find for you!

TonLee, I am days behind, but you look mahvelous as always. Not helmet-y at all. and lawdy, your exchange has motivated me to bite the bullet and just get recon OVER. I keep dragging it out. I feel so good right now, and not terribly interested in surgery. But, if I go ahead...it will be over and maybe I can look half as good as you do!!

I am probably an "overboard" with the food as referenced above. My neighbor cut his grass the other day then yelled over at me, asking if I wanted to come juice his clippings. Bahaha. Bozo.

My sister in law had her "debulking" surgery today for ovarian cancer. Sounds dreadful. She was under 5 hours, but did well. The surgeon said the cancer was the type that responds really well to chemo, so everyone was happy. I kept quiet....to me that means it's super agressive. this time last week she was bouncing her first grandchild around at the playground. One week and some stomach pains later...her life is upside down.

• melster
    melster Member Posts: 46

My ENT just called...my scan was totally clear. PRAISE GOD. Thank you for your help earlier today you guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take an Antivert and go to sleep!

• lago

No ferris wheel for you Melster. Good to hear the news.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Melster, hooray! geewhiz, glad the surgery went well for your DSIL . Congrats jackboo. Nance, fingers crossed for a god report. Ashla, that is interesting news about Herceptin. Much love to all.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Thought you all might find this snippet of an interview interesting:

OncologySTAT: There has been a lot of research looking at HER2-positive breast cancer with several HER2-targeted agents now being evaluated. Which of the recent studies are the most important in terms of affecting clinical practice, and what are the key points for practicing oncologists to keep in mind?

Dr. Gelmon: I think the important points are looking at risk. HER2-positive tumors are always risky, but some are riskier than others. We do not know yet which of the HER2-positive tumors can be treated with chemotherapy and Herceptin with high cure rates and which are the resistant tumors. We are looking at studies of dual HER2 targeting. We are doing studies with pertuzumab and Herceptin now in the adjuvant setting. We have been doing studies with lapatinib and Herceptin in the adjuvant setting. What is going to be important prior to committing everyone to dual therapy is to understand which of the tumors are going to need the dual therapy and which are not. The expense of putting everyone on dual therapy will be too great for any healthcare system; however, the problem with not figuring out which types are resistant is that we would not move the area forward at all. What behooves us right now is to do these studies of dual therapy, and also do the studies to determine who is responsive and who is not.

Source

• arlenea

Wow Dance.  Interesting information!

• psm201244
    psm201244 Member Posts: 19

First yay Cindy! I'm still working right now and hope I can continue!

I was suppose to have treatment #5 today but has been postponed. I have mixed feelings but mostly down about it being dragged out now. have some fluid on of my lungs and congestion and lots of fluid retention in both legs. So am on diuretic and go for Muga scan in the morning. It's going to be a long anxious night .

• geewhiz

Wow, very interesting Dance! What a slippery slope though...figuring out resistance. Even determining study populations seems a bit of a crapshoot. In vivo and In vitro yield can very different results in tumor studies.

SWEET DREAMS Melster!! Woohooo for you!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

PSM, praying for you

• geewhiz

Just saw your post pop up PSM. Hang in there! I am sure they are just making extra sure your body can process that chemo. Have you tried walking a bit? That always helped ease my fluid retention a bit during chemo. I remember looking down at my legs after a chemo thinking..."Whose legs ARE these?!". It passes. I hope the night brings sweet dreams for you as well as Melster : )

• psm201244

Thanks y'all, I appreciate your posts and prayers. I walk quite a bit at work and have spent the last couple of nights in the recliner legs propped up with pillows and by morning I can see some semblance of ankles! Haha. But by noon they are gone. I laughed at your comment geewhiz about not recognizing my legs! Guess I'm mostly worried all these treatments have damaged my heart ( was taken off herceptin after treatment #3 cuz Muga showed down to 52%.)

• dancetrancer

psm - hope you feel better soon and hope the MUGA comes back ok!!! 

• arlenea

PSM....keep the faith, I'm sure it will all be just fine.  If you are at 52%, you can take a break and then they can begin it again.  I stopped several times and made it to 10 and then finally stopped when EF dropped from 60 to 50.....my onc was uncomfortable with a 10 point drop.   Lots and lots of fluids is really important but I'm sure you know that.  Remember that for the majority of people the EF returns.  I started at 73.9 and went all the way to 50 and now back up to 65. 

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

Great news Melster! 

Hope everyone else's check-ups come out well too Smile

Any diet that stipulates good nutrition can't be bad. I think our dr's get their "knickers in a knot" sometimes about patient's taking natural medicines and "weird" diets. But really, most of us are pretty sensible and just want to do things in moderation.

I am "sort of" dancing a happy dance today. After quitting rads and changing the plan to going back in to have a double mastectomy  (couple of major reasons - check back through my old messages if you really want to know...) this morning I had my appt with the PS. Already met with my BS who is happy to do the BMX soon even after me having had 12 days of rads. The meeting today was with the PS was to meet him and see if he is happy to do an immediate reconstruction.

My preference was TEs and implants - quick, easy (haha), cheaper (we have to pay here in Australia). But the PS had to let me know that because I have a wide chest I would have to have at least 15cm implants which means they'd be at least a D when I'm currently a C (put on some weight) and at my ideal weight am usually an A-B. He also thinks that because of my age and level of fitness (haha - moderate) I am a better candidate for flap surgery and will be happier with the outcome. I must admit that his "after" photos of patients were AMAZING. He definitely gets a very natural look for women and with their nipple reconstructions and areola tatoos you couldn't even tell that most of the women in those photos had anything done!

So, the operating room has been booked for me on the 28th of September and I just have to decide in the next 2 weeks which surgery I am going with. He gave me a few names and numbers of women that I can call to find out about their experiences with him...

Jenn

• lago
    Jenn just to let you know I was very fit at BMX. I used to wear a 34B, and I mean small B. With my implants I'm now sporting a 34D, and full cup. My implant base is about 13" and I have a small frame (that's why I wear the 34 band). I have moderate profile Allergen Naterelle style 15 (397cc). I too got wider rather than high profile. I would PM Whippetmom about the implants. I'm not saying flap surgery isn't right for you but if you really want implants I would get a 2nd opinion to be sure. I'm very happy with mine. I did want to go a little bigger. Granted there are ladies here that have done flaps and love them.
  • TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

PSM,

One thing that really helps with the leg swelling...professional massage.  I also had to stop Herceptin because of 27 point drop in EF.  My heart has not improved in the almost year since I stopped, and my legs are still swollen a little bit.

Regardless, massage makes them "mine" again for 24 hours.  It's AMAZING!  I'll go in with thighs tight in shorts, and leave with a two inch gap in the same shorts!  I'm not exaggerating.  (Just remind your therapist to push upward more often than down......)

Anyway, I also take dandelion root twice a day.  It comes in capsules, and you can make a tea of it if desired.  Dandelion is a natural diuretic.  Now it doesn't work like real prescribed and over the counter diuretics ... it's not as potent, but it helps the body shed some excess fluid gently without overtaxing the kidneys.  The added benefit is it helps, ever so little, to reduce the fluid load on the heart....which is good when you have an ejection fraction problem.

I buy it at Vitamin World, and it's pretty cheap...though I can't remember exactly how much right off.

So, in short, weekly massage and dandelion root.  They've worked wonders for my legs.

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Hi Ladies

Have any of you had an oil cyst. The sonographer said it could eventually disappear on its own. Its a bit sore and I probably should have taken him up on his offer to drain it instead of hot tailing it the hell outta there. I am still such a chicken when it comes to small proceedures. 

I have reduction surgery booked for 15 November and would be interested to chat to anyone who has had this done. I am somewhere between a DD/E and will be reduced to a D cup.

Nancedawg: How are you feeling today. The recovery process seems like it will last for ever. Just tell yourself that every day is a step closer to healing.

Great news Melster, have you had a good rest. These scares take such a toll .

Dancetrancer: interesting article. How long do you think it will be before dual therapies are offered. From this point are we talking years?

Have a great weekend everybody. 

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

Eeeek:/ sorry about the links. I have been reading so much about diet lately and in cross referencing have found that those foods seem to be listed on numerous websites and books that I am reading. But, I did not realize that those lists in particular did not have verified sources. Super sorry. On that note,I am trying to figure out what my new diet should be like. I need to loose weight from babies anyway.

I am still do confused about flaxseed. Do we really need it if we are eating fish with omega three twice a week?

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Jennifer404

No need to apologize for the post.There are long lists of their sources on the bottom of each page,

All of the foods listed are extremely nutrient rich and many have been cited in other articles I've read.

As far as flaxseed,I have been reading about its medicinal qualities for a few years now. My dad's surgeon was Andrew Larson . He and his wife wrote a book called the Gold Coast Cure. She was dxed with MS in her 20's and touts flax seed with explanations. It's a very good nutrition book with recipes. As far as need...maybe not but that's a really good nutrient rich product.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71

Jennifer404- flaxseed is a great source of omega 3's (as are chia seeds), but they are also phytoestrogens which stirs up some controversy. As I understand it, flaxseed acts somewhat similarly to tamoxifen in that it attaches itself to estrogen receptors in the cells and prevents the "bad" kind of estrogen in our bodies from doing the same and creating tumors. A good book that addresses the topic is Waking the Warrior Goddess by Dr. Christine Horner. She also has a lot of other good nutritional info in there relating to breast cancer.

• dancetrancer

jackboo - I don't know about the dual therapy - it's all new to me!  But it sure was interesting to read about, including the need to find out who is resistant to Herceptin and why.

Mammogram and US today =  BENIGN oil cyst!  Yippee, happy dance!

Jennifer, I stay away from flaxseed, b/c I have read conflicting studies.  Same for soy.  I mean I might eat it now and again, but I'm surely not supplementing my daily diet with either one.  I too eat wild salmon at least twice a week to try to get my Omega 3's.    And I agree, no need to apologize for the post.  I too have seen the long list of references at the bottom of the page on that website.  And, they don't recommend anything other than food - no supplements, etc.  All healthy food stuff.  

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Dancetrancer, hey fantastic news! We are the oil cyst sisters! Does yours hurt. Are you leaving it alone or Having it drained?

• dancetrancer

Jackboo - hello fellow oil sista!  LOL  Mine hurts only if I palpate it a bunch.  Otherwise I wouldn't know it is there.  No, I'm not having it drained since it isn't bothering me.  I know one person who had hers drained 2 times, and it filled back up, so she's not bothering anymore.  Does yours hurt all the time or just when you palpate it? 

• psm201244

Thanks TonLee! Professional massage sounds wonderful. Radiologist told me after scan that it looked slightly improved , I will take that and run! (haha if I could!)