Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Do you know if they give you a splitting headache whilst wearing?  I'm seeing they are packed with dry ice.  We worked with that stuff during my PhD program and you can't even touch it for very long (but it was damn fun to play with).  I worry it will be like I'm eating ice cream too fast.

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Pbrain...

Btw ..for me anyway the lumpectomy procedure was not a big deal. it was needle guided to that's a little uncomfortable . Didn't even need a tylenol afterward.

I was just really nervous beforehand and it was made worse because they had to wait for the anesthesiologist to put in the IV because due to dehydration none of the nurses could insert it. So I was late getting to the radiologist and the entire surgical team was waiting for me! Caused a 1 1/2 hour delay ! I was worried my BS would have to leave .

• Pbrain

Ashia, it looks like I'll be under general anesthesia.  Were you too, or just given the good stuff and allowed to lay there stoned?  I'm reading about the do's and don't's of anesthesia (I've never had surgery) and it looks like my night-time sleepy pill is out because it contains valerian, so tomorrow night, no herbal zonk out.  That's all I need.  I'm be laying awake staring at the ceiling...har!

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749

pbrain i will be laying awake staring at the ceiling tonite !  lumpectomy is honestly such a simple procedure, like ashla said, worst part is the prep (wire guide they insert and the snb dye).  I only took 1 pain killer when i got home and thats it. The hair was traumatic but you do get used to it very quickly, more quickly then you think. I also cut it really short before it started falling out

shore1 i have a juicer that i got from some friends when i was going through chemo - it is collecting dust.  I am going to try some juicing when i am up and at 'em.  I think it is still better to eat whole fruit and i do it a lot of it.  It may be a good way to get more veggies in your diet if that is an issue - you can drink more than you can eat.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Yeah Dance!!  WOO HOO!!  B9!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    pbrain - check out this thread LINK for cold caps - it seems to be the most active and I bet they can tell you everything.
  • TonLee

Good luck with surgery tomorrow Roze!  I'll pray for you :)

• TonLee

I saw that my Kroger is carrying PB2 now.  $4.59 a jar.  It's in the "organics" section.  I don't know why. 

Also, I'm so addicted to faux mint chocolate chip ice cream.  FOR YOU LADIES ON CHEMO...I thought it might really be a good recipe for you to try when the taste buds are funky....

I will link the video on how to make it at the end (Dani is one of my favorite clean eating gurus!)  But the ingredients are....

frozen banana (watch her video on how to freeze them properly)

spinach (you can't taste it, but it gives the "ice cream" a beautiful green color.

mint extract

a tiny bit of water or milk

chocolate chips

That's it! If you want to protein it up you could add a 1/2 cup of fage...

IT IS SO ADDICTING...thank goodness it is low cal and a GREAT WAY TO GET SPINACH IN YOUR KIDS! lol

http://cleananddelicious.com/2012/08/05/video-reader-recipe-mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/

• omaz
    It certainly is pretty TonLee!
  • ashla

Pbrain...

Have no idea what kind of anesthesia it was but I woke up at one point and asked if my doctor was there. The anestheiogist asst said oh he's here but like everything else the women are doing all the work. I woke up again as they were putting on my lovely velcro lumpectomy bra .

I had complained of nausea after my sentinel node biopsy, port placement surgery and had ekg issues. So mayb I didn't get the good stuff. It was fine though.

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

TonLee- thanks for the recipe. :-) first chemo was on Friday. My mouth had been super dry and taste a little off. I'm a chocoholic and it just doesn't taste the same. Will try your recipe.

• ashla

Pbrain...

What's your herbal sleep aid? I've alwaysbeen a great sleeper. When I was 4 I fell asleep standing waiting for Santa Claus. Even after the first time i went through menopause I slept enough to feel rested. Not anymore. Would prefer to stay away fom the prescription stuff if possible.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Yep, cold caps work, the nurse is misinformed.  Many onc's and onc nurses saw them tried years ago and fail - so they still believe they don't work.  My onc thought the same thing, told me I most certainly would lose all of my hair.  I most certainly did not - I shed quite a bit, but never enough that others could tell.

It is a big committment, and expensive, though - so it is not for everyone.  However they DO work.   

• TonLee

The ice cream really is delicious.  And the peppermint helps calm down tummy issues.....

Regarding cold caps:  (My nurses told me the same thing about them not working.)

Solt also has had a great experience with cold caps.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

I too had good results with the cold caps!!! Wish I could get professionals here to listen to me!  :)

Yum TonLee - that looks scrumptious!

• Pbrain

So youse guys haven't answered my question.  Will my head freeze off and shrivel up like a little raisin?  I don't like being cold, and even though I'm post-menopausal, I've never had a hot flash and am still always cold.  I hear chemo makes you cold too.

But it might be worth it to save my recent Brazilian blowout!! Yell 

• Pbrain

Oh, and Ashia, I take this wonderful mix from Andrew Lessman (he's a biochemist and knows his stuff) called Night Time.  It has a low dose of melatonin, chamomile, valerian and 5-HTP.  I have no trouble falling asleep, just trouble getting my busy brain into bed at a decent time.  So I take it about 2 hours before bedtime to make me stop watching TV, reading books or floating around on the internet.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Pbrain, the first two caps are really cold!  After that you get used to it.  (you change caps every 30 minutes)  No, you don't shrivel up like a raisin, lol!  I did bring an electric blanket and dressed in very warm clothes, which really helped.  I'm always cold, too (before chemopause), but I am surprised at how well I handled it.  Depends on your motivation/desire to keep your hair, I suppose.  

The icing of the fingers/toes/mouth was MUCH worse than the caps...I detested that hour and a half for Taxotere.   

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Pbrsin--I have to ask HSN vitamins.?

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Pbrain, I was in the community system also. Chace Lottich was my surgeon. She was fabulous.

Definitely use frozen peas or ice on your hands and toes. I was religious about it for chemo, and had no problems. I continued on herceptin and only had some problems at the end with some nail lifting. They are back to normal now. One big toe is still a bit lifted at the top, but improving quickly. I didn't do the cold caps as I chickened out, but I would definitely tr it if I have a recurrence.

Good luck tomorrow. If it is anything like my biopsy, first you have to get a wire put in to guide them to the spot. I HATED THAT. Freaked me out. When I had to have a second biopsy, I took an Ativan and it helped a lot. It wasnt painful, just creepy.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

TonLee, when my kids were little and we had to bring healthy snacks, I made frozen banana sundaes. Ran the bananas through a juicer/grinder (the ice cream like bananas actually came out of the waste section! LOL) and just put strawberries or blueberries on it. As long as it stayed pretty frozen, it tasted just like ice cream, and had an ice cream texture. As it melted, it tasted more of banana. But I never tried it with mint. Sounds so good.

• omaz
    Best wishes Rozem!
  • moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

To those going to a procedure tomorrow, know that you are in my prayers for it to go well and for fast healing.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Rozem....we will be thinking of you.

Pbrain....just so you don't feel totally like you are an over worrier, my bmx was the only surgery where I was under general. Had two c-sections, but with epidurals.

I wrote a letter to my BS, PS and the anesthesiologist . Customized each one, told them I had faith in their skills and wanted only positive things said during surgery. Told the PS that I ultimately wanted to be number 1 on his picture recon site. Told the anesthesiologist not to be reading magazines while I was under and to stay focused. Put a picture of my family on each one and said this is who I want to wake up to and that they should all have the a game going.

Needless to say, none of them have forgotten that, lol. I am pretty sure I was the only person to have done that.

After each component the respective doctor went and talked to my family to tell them how it was going. I have two kids and a husband. His family is huge. When the PS finished and went to talk with them, there were 13 people sitting there waiting. He still talks about it.

Of course, I woke up to that same number in my room. Literally lining the entire room. I have no idea how they talked the nurses into it, but it was quite the party until they all realized I had survived and was no longer freaked out.

So....you are not alone!

• Fluffqueen, that is an amazing story! I am definitely keeping that in mind when I start on that phase...currently on chemo. Surgery should be in February.

• MsTori

Rozem and Pbrain- thinking of you today and in my prayers.

Day 3 after first chemo. A little better today. THis past weekend was rough. My hips and thighs still ache, and port a little sore, but better today.

Fluff- your family sounds amazing! Love your story. :-)

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

MsTori I'm glad u'r feeling better today, this is such a long achy process-I hope u ave more good days than bad.

And I'm thinking about Rozem and Pbrain--for some reason I thought Pbrain was tomorrow. But I get confused. I hope we can hear from them soon.

It's nice when it's over and we hear from them---then u know the first hurdle has been completed. OK so we wait.

• ashla

Having my 17th and final Herceptin infusion right now.......lots of milestones in this journey......

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

Ashla,  Wow that is great news. Congrats.. Celebrate this new milestone..

• MsTori

Cam- thanks! I'm just achy. I wish that would go away. And drained. I think they infused me to fast for my first treatment. ?? Just took shower and wiped out. Resting again.

Ashla- yay! Congrats on your last infusion!