Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

On a lighter note.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I know when I went on ESD (anastrozole) I was checked for 5 months to be sure that I didn't go back out of chemopause. I know its working because I have the stiffness and will get warm flashes early morning if I eat spicy food… at way too much Kim Chee yesterday Tongue Out

• swimmom01
    swimmom01 Member Posts: 32

The plan is for me to go onto tamoxifen after last so maybe my period won't come back and it looks like that is a good thing. As for the hourly hot flashes! Wow that seems like a lot! currently the first 5-6 days after tx I have really bad hot flashes and the further i get from tx the better. I guess that means I have hot flashes to look forward to during tamoxifen but ill take that over estrogen going crazy.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

swimmom - I started with the hourly hot flashes after the second chemo and it hasn't really changed much in frequency except during that brief respite on letrozole.  Adding tamoxifen after rads didn't make any difference.  My hot flashes are less intense now, when they first started I would get nauseous and then would get very cold afterwards.  Not I just get hot and sweat some.  

• Hmm, I haven't had any hot flashes yet. I'm on Taxol and Herceptin. In December, I move on to FEC and Herceptin for 4 cycles. Then surgery and then radiation. My doctor asked if I was done having kids (I have 3 boys) and when I said yes, he suggested the ooph. I'm 38. I'll have to go back to my pathology report and see what my estrogen levels were at but my gut feeling when he suggested the procedure was relief - take away the hormone producers! But I should definitely do some more research to go by rather than my first initial gut reaction. Any ideas on good places to start?

Also: TonLee, I LOL'ed on your TMI stuff. But seriously, really good information to have and consider.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Forever,  I know it's a PITA, but we discussed this a couple times in the last 6 months on this thread....if you can skim through the posts, or use my username and search...I listed several studies as a good place to start.  I'm on a new computer now and didn't transfer the links .... since I'm done with that ... but they're here....somewhere...lol

Actually start looking around page 217 on this thread....

• melster
    melster Member Posts: 46

I'm 35 and both my MO and my OB say no to oomph or hyst. I haven't had my period in over a year now, although I did have bleeding three months ago. Had a sonogram and it was just some shedding. I have terrible hot flashes..started within two weeks of my weekly Taxol. Still have them. Two weeks before my bleeding episode, my flashes stopped but as soon as the bleeding stopped, flashes started up again and haven't stopped.

I wonder why the big discrepancy in who gets oomph versus who doesn't etc. I also wonder if my ovaries are permantently fried.

Also, I though you COULD still get a period on Tamox?

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749

melster yes you can still get periods on tamox.  As tonlee points out we have discussed the ooph issue several times and yes there is a lot of controversy on removing them.  I believe tonlee's studies have shown a benefit to removing them IF your periods come back.  Funny thing is, my friend is still being told no even tho her periods have returned (she is being treated at the #1 cancer ctr in Canada)  She is also young (37).  I think they may be weighing the risks vs benefits since she is young?  maybe all the risks that tonlee talked about? i have no idea.  I am scheduled for removal in jan but i am a little closer to memo (i'll be 44) so not sure if that makes a difference.  If my periods do not return i may sit tight

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Here is the study...phase 3~http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01376349

Here's a quick blurb on the DHEA gel...the pharmacy called me, it is Gateway Health Mart Pharmacy in Bismarck North Dakota.

http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=57938

My insurance supposedly doesn't cover this and it is $34 a month, not $28.  I am calling my insurance company now. :)

Since DHEA is an OTC drug, this article suggests any compounding pharmacy should be able to make it for you.  http://zrtdocsblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/dhea-as-vaginal-treatment.html

And because it is OTC, my insurance won't cover it to be compounded.  Dirt bags.

I will post the pics of it, and the doses with instructions for you all when I get it in a few days...and then Oh-la-la...I hope it works!  :)

• Thanks, TonLee! Found the start of it around page 202!

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Quick break in this topic since I'm boyfriendless and as I told my BS--there's no action going on here (pointing to my boobs).  Sadly, no action in the pubes either.  My treatment center called today and they'd set up an appointment for me next Monday with the radiation oncologist.  I'm a little surprised.  Do they do chemo and radiation at the same time?  I will start chemo in early November...I thought radiation would start afterwards.

Anything I should expect with the radiation appointment?

• omaz

pbrain - I think it is pretty common to meet with the rad onc.  I saw mine for the first time before surgery.  As far as I know though, rads come after chemo.

• camillegal

Rozem I bet age has something, maybe to do with it??? How are u feeling now.?

Pbrain all my stuff started in 2007, I didn't meet my rad til 2010--I think they didn't want hime to leave the hospital if he knew I would eventually be his patient.

• camillegal

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Camillegal, you seriously make me laugh!!!

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

TonLee, thanks for the info on the DHEA.  I look forward to hearing your report back! 

Since we are on the sex topic, I'm curious...anyone find Tamoxifen stops the ability to have the big O?  That's what happened to me.  I stopped Tamox and the ability came back...I saw a few studies that showed it is a possible SE. 

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Nickythebean, I just sent you a PM about the rectal bleeding issue. Decided not to subject the thread to the gory details. Hope you're doing ok.

• camillegal

Excuuuuse me Sol--I am single and just because I am a senior doesn't mean there is no activity on the homefront.

Even tho it's true, but I could be if I wanted to be, so there.

• omaz

cami - I like the pumpkin on the far right - whoever made it thought outside the box and used the stem as a nose - clever!

• camillegal

• omaz

LOL!!

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

Cami-lol...you are funny!

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Cami - love these pics!  I've stolen a few for my FB page, in fact! 

• camillegal

I don't own them steal away LOL

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

PBrain radiation it typically after chemo. My onc told me to set up an appointment but didn't seem to be in any rush. I did before chemo because I wanted to know what was in store… ended up getting a pass (I was in a grey area). I came pretty close to hugging my rad onc. Before I saw the rad onc I was felt up by 2 residents. I asked for my Marti Gras beads. Female got it, the male resident looked confused.

• omaz

One of my friends who was a great support for me during treatment was just diagnosed today.  They caught it early and it looks like she will have surg/rads/anti-estrogen.  Can't believe it.

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

Lago-you deserve the beads! It's the least they could give us through all of this right? Lol:)

Omaz- I am so sorry about your friend. I am glad it was caught early though.

• omaz

Thanks Jennifer - me too.  I encouraged her to get the oncotype dx test.  It wasn't offered to me since my tumor was her2+ but I think for node neg, ER+ they offer it.

• camillegal

Omaz I'm sorry for u'r friend too, but she couldn't have a better support than you. And now with u'r knowlede she's in good hands.

• omaz

Thanks Cami