Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Thank you all for your support. I'm hanging in there. Nausea a tad better. Just feel weakness now. No doubt from laying in bed for two days. I'm praying for the no mental downs this time. Right now, I just want to go back to bed or nap!

Pbrain- your amazing. You are getting chemo, taking care of yourself, and the little furry babies, dealing with bad SE from this last chemo, and still going to work. Just remember that.

(((Cami)))

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

You are all soooo funny - it's a good thing we don't all live close together we could wreck havoc -especially on inappropriate co-workers - Pbrain - glad it's going well, I love the fake dog pooh idea Laughing

"angels everywhere"  so true, I couldn't believe how many angels came out of the woodwork when I was diagnosed.  They just seemed to be everywhere.

I was constantly amazed by some of the medical staff that work daily in this field, yet don't really know what they are talking about, and actually give out mis-information. Not only mis-information, but detrimental info.  The chemo nurses were awesome and a constant source of info, but some of the rest of them - not so much.  And now my poor PCP has had my residual SE care dumped on her and she hasn't actually had to do this before, and she's much better informed then some of those that work with BC. 

• Bellanan
    Bellanan Member Posts: 25

Hi all! I haven't been writing for a week or so , but have been reading and am so impressed how everyone is tolerating. I feel like I am fortunate that I am not working - retired. I'm probably on the older side of this group, however, SE don't seem to distinguish age in the mix! Last round was infinitely easier, except an overwhelming desire to sleep! I guess I would compare it to when I was pregnant - always tired and nauseous. I am sitting in my Chemo chair and after today I am halfway there. Yeah! Of course I have the Herceptin until Oct. and 6 weeks of radiation. Minor in comparison - I think. The big question for the day is: no sores in my mouth, but my nose is full of sores and runs constantly. Has anyone had this problem? I would love some suggestions.

Hope all Gobbled their day away on Thursday!

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Ha ha ha if it fits it ships

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

I just spoke with the oncologist.  He says the results of the FISH test indicate the tumor was/is (I like to think of it in the past tense) definitely Her2+.  It tested at 7.2

He says this is a good thing - well, good in that I can be treated with Herceptin.

He had previously said that if I didn't test positive for Her2 on the FISH test that I could go into a clinical trial for women who don't test positive so apparently they're looking into the benefit of Herceptin for all types of tumors/cancers?  I don't know anything more about that than what he had mentioned briefly but just putting it out there. 

So, I assume I'm here in this Triple Positive group to stay.  

• LindaKR

Welcome Lee as a permanent resident Smile

• LeeA

Thank you, Linda Smile 

I had a feeling the status wouldn't change considering it was Her2+++ via the other type of test but I have seen (in the fabled archives) people who have come and then gone due to further testing. 

That reminds me of a line from my favorite poem of all time - 

"In the room the women come and go. Talking of Michelangelo" - T.S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufock

Oh, if only all we had to speak of was Michelangelo...

• LindaKR

LeeA - I love that quote!

I think the others were borderline Her2 to start with, not +++.  I was ER+++, PR+++ & HER2+++ on my pathology!  I basically was given no treatment choices - "this is what you have to do to live" No Oncotype DX for me, as there was no point.  I hope you have a great dayKiss

• LeeA

Thanks, LindaKR, I hope you have a great day as well!

If you like that quote you might love the entire poem.  Years ago I took a graduate level class wherein we studied that poem for weeks on end.  No wonder it's my favorite!  We analyzed (anal eyed) every line from it. 

Here's the beginning of it: 

Let us go then, you and I, 

When the evening is spread out against the sky

Like a patient etherized upon a table; 

And here's a link to it in its entirety: 
    http://www.bartleby.com/198/1.html

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

LeeA is here to stay!

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Bella,

Congrats on being half way!!  WOO HOO!

I didn't get sores on the inside of my nose, but I did get a nosebleed once or twice.  I do remember everything being really dry in that area, the eyes, the nose, the mouth. 

One of the reasons I may not have gotten anything in my nose is because (THIS IS GROSS!) I lined the inside with Vaseline to keep things moist.  Just stuck a pinky finger in the Vaseline, then up the nose and twist...lol.  Gross, but it really helped out.  When I didn't do it, my nose bled.

Hope that helps!

t

• LindaKR

Thanks Lee, I'm going to read it.

Cami - I take Ativan for the claustrophobia that I get with scans, and also it helps to put a cool cloth on your face (according to my mom)

I forgot I got bloody noses through the whole thing, more during chemo, but I did still get them with herceptin, but not as frequently. 

Did I tell you guys I'm 2 years post final chemo and 1 1/2 post herceptin and my latest blood draw was the first one for everything to be within normal ranges since treatment started, there were always some things off or weird that required explanation.  I do believe it takes a while for your body to recover.  Also - does that mean that it was still working until now?

Solt - remember the rule, if it's consistent and lasts two weeks call your onc.  And I think everything is mets, so I have nothing to say about your thinking that.  Love the idea of a terrified scream emoticon!!!!

• lago

Solt you got it.

Linda Congratulations. I'm right behind you.

Pbrain I found some stocking stuffers for the office gals
    linky 1    linky 2

• ang7894
    ang7894 Member Posts: 427

This was sent to me today thought I would share...

'Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.
    She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of sh!t.'

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

Oh Ang   that is funny and true...Thanks for sharing

• lago

ang love that

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Ang - that was a good one. Just what I needed to read today Smile Went back to work a few weeks ago, and am still adjusting to it. Miss all the free time i had to focus on myself (I was off for a year), and I'm not interested in dealing with all the crap that comes with my job. Trying to keep it all in perspective and not let the little things that used to get to me bother me anymore.

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Sol, I would think more gall bladder than anything.  Watch when it happens and see if it has something to do with food (like high fat or high fiber).  Don't go to the scary place, although I'm sure I'll be wandering there many times myself.  Also, in general liver mets don't hurt.  ;-)

Lago, I just love the dog poop earrings.  I think I need a pair for myself at least!

Cami, hang in there.  We are here to listen!

• Bellanan
    Bellanan Member Posts: 25

Thanks Solt and Tonlee. I think u are both right. Runny and bloody nose is partly because of the dryness. I run a cold mist vaporize in my bedroom and it does help. Also, FYI, I saw my oncologist today and told him I was using Vaseline. He said it was not good because of the petroleum. He suggested a cream as in a moisturizing face cream. I will let you all know how it works. I checked out the nose hairs - pretty sparse. Think I'll lose eye lashes and brows? Not that it really matters, my head is shaved and I love it!!

You are all such inspiration that I can't feel anything but positive.

Dx 9/19/2012, 2cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+Chemotherapy 10/04/2012 carboplatin, Taxotere and Herceptin
    Radiation and one oral drugs for 5 years.
  • LindaKR

Solt - do you have pain under your right shoulder blade too?  When my gall bladder went bad sometimes I felt nauseous, sometimes uncomfortable right under my ribs on the right, and sometimes I got pain under my right shoulder blade that felt like a pulled muscle - it was worse when I ate greasy food, particularly fast food.  Good luck - and don't worry to much Laughing

Oh my goodness Ang - that was wonderful!

Nose hairs - it took me forever to figure out part of the reason my nose ran all the time is because there were no nose hairs.  It's kind of overwheming you when realize all the places on your body, face and head that you lost hair!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Solt, I had side/rib pain during and after chemo. An US showed nothing & it eventually went away. You're right - it can be attributed to so many things, even just the trauma of surgeries and chemo. Try not to go to scary thoughts.Many pages back you gave me some meditation tips & a mantra is so helpful - but I didn't know it should be 108 times. I wake up so often at night & find repeating my mantra helps me get back to sleep. Let us know what your MO says about the side pain.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Sol, I had pain under the rib cage after my surgery. It felt like a broken rib. I thought it was ghr alladerm. It just went away after a while. But I suppose it could have been just pain from the surgery that I didn't notice unrolled all the other pain went away..

Lee, you mention having an echo 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I had mine then too. Insist that they use an unopened bottle of the gel before they use it on you and that they go around the stitches. good luck. Much love

• lago

I too remember rib pain on the cancer side. I felt it was from surgery. Also nuelasta made it worse.

In general when I find something wrong with me I try to find what it could be besides cancer. Then if I have the symptom for 3-4 weeks I'll call my onc… so far I haven't had to call my onc.

• LeeA

Okay, this is apropos of nothing but I have a column labeled HERCEPTIN always open in Tweetdeck (which is a Twitter application).  I just scrolled across the page and saw this tweet and it made me smile and thought it might make some of you smile as well.

It most certainly wasn't the kind of tweet I expected to see in that column!

#

Mom just said "excuses are like buttholes, everybody's got one".....ohh mother what is Herceptin treatment doing to you?! God be with her

• LindaKR

Too funny Lee - I know chemo changed the way I think - that's my DD's thought I needed the Ativan!

• LeeA

For me, everything is more intense on the cancer side.  I think I could be a relief pitcher for the minor leagues with my right arm if it wasn't for this darn left arm/side.

Of course, today's echocardiogram was all about the .... LEFT SIDE.  Ugh.  And Moonflwer, I never even thought to ask for a clean tube BUT my stitches are all still covered.  

I thought an echocardiogram was a stress test.  Ha.  I thought I was going to be jogging on a treadmill versus having that wand pressed against what used to be my left breast! It bordered on painful but now it's over...  

First time driving a long distance (only 12 miles - total about 30 miles) on my own.  Got home and couldn't figure out why my arms felt so week - duh - driving and using those muscles for the first time.  

As I was lying on the table in the darkened room waiting for the echocardiogram to begin I heard the typical sounds of a hospital around me.  Doctors being paged, announcements, the whir of machines, and I thought (for about the millionth time) "I can't believe this is happening."  It was a solo trip today so no court jester (read: husband) to throw out yarn balls.  This is my third hospital since starting the cancer experience.  I was feeling particularly morose when I drove up and looked over at it and thought "will I eventually die in this place?"  Very dark thoughts today.  Not good.  Tomorrow is a new day.  And of course I know, this is all just the anticipation of what's coming next.  Could be more surgery, could be chemo first, who knows but once I get the plan started for this next phase I'm sure I'll feel more happy dappy doodle.

• LeeA

Gosh, it hit me after I posted it - what if that was posted by the daughter of someone who posts at BCO!  

Regardless, I thought it was cute and real. 

• LindaKR

I wondered what you were talking about walking on a treadmill in your earlier post - I thought maybe she's having something different than I had.  My tech for the first echo was so careful and worried that he would hurt the surgery area.  Good job going by yourself.  I had my abdominal CT, echo and bone scan all on the same day - it was exhausting!  My husband left me there for the day while he drove another 200 miles (round trip) to pick up our daughter - she had been to the Kentucky Derby with her brother (during the big floods) and had just gotten back.  Quite a memorable time.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

LOL LeeA! I keep hearing you say, in a very southern voice, " Tuh more rah is another day" LOL

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183

Lee,

You will feel better once a plan of action is in place.  I remember being so anxious after I was diagnosed but before I knew when my surgery would be (and then what chemo plan, if any I would need) that the nurse practioner in my BS's office called the Integrative Healing department at the hospital to set me up with a complimentary massage!!!  The therapists there are used to dealing with anxious, stressed out bc patients and they were really good about putting everything in perspective and calming me down.  

My hospital is very into complimentary therapies and they recorded a series of "self healing through guided imagery" cds for dealing with surgery, chemo and staying positive.  I have downloaded  then onto my ipod, and I listen occasionally when I am stressed.  If you (or anybody else) would like, pm me your email address and I can send you mp3s of the cds.    Even now, my hospital offers $20 massages to all cancer patients in active treatment.  It really helps.

See if your hospital has anything like that that you can take advantage of.