Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,806
    Options

Clars, what was the stuffing for the cabbage leaves?

Last night was a familiar meal in the rotation. Linguine with Rao's and Italian sausage. A delicious tossed salad with favored ingredients. Enough leftover for another meal.

I'm hoping to grill a pork steak for dinner if the daily thunder storm will hold off. It has turned hot (wally would be miserable, for sure) and I had to turn on the a/c yesterday afternoon. Fortunately the rain cooled things off enough to open up at bedtime. That would not be a possibility at home.

• carolehalston
    Options

No rain here last night to cool things off, even though other areas had storms. We had to run the a/c.

DH grilled the pork steak and long slices of zucchini (sp?). Good to keep the cooking heat outside. It was so warm that we didn't go over to Mary's deck for Happy Hour.

Probably leftover pasta for dinner.

Where is everyone? I'm talking to myself. LOL.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,825
    Options

Carole, maybe they're all over on Mary's deck!

😂

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,058
    Options

I've been reading but not posting much. Now that the garage is finished and we have a place to stage stuff, we've been moving the "rest of the stuff" out of storage. Sp, now we are getting more than the bare necessities into the house. It is sure nice having the things that are nice, but not absolutely necessary.

We are going to Phoenix for a few days (friend's 80somethingTH birthday), so yesterday I was also figuring out an automatic watering system for the potted plants.

Last night Sharon cooked enchiladas.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,244
    Options

Eric, YUM on the enchiladas! Carole, same for the pork steak. I love it!

Today is DH's 83rd b-day. We are thrilled that his treatment is working, so far—but it is early days. Sadly, he's got a gum/dental issue that has been robbing him of sleep. If it's not one thing, it's another. Poor guy. My stress just hangs there and I'm trying to figure out how to work through it all…it's hard. The new onco agreed with the articles I showed him and is restarting the abiraterone/prednisone with the Pluvicto.

We had leftover frozen pizzas when we got home from the lawyer (will, estate, morbid but necessary crap—stress!). Tonight DH's request is for tuna steaks, so that will be that. Some steamed spinach and either a sweet potato or corn/bean mix. We were going to pick up a fancy/expensive pie at the local bakery but they were all out, so ice cream is on hand.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,825
    Options

Eric, if you're getting something with a timer and connected to water in house, be sure to set the plants in a sink/tub etc., in case something were to go wrong. You don't think they will be ok for a few days? We used to sell drip irrigation systems. Sold the business shortly before my DH passed, as I couldn't handle it alone, on top of everything else!

WallyCat, you poor thing. Wish I had some advice for you re the stress.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,571
    Options

DH made taco’s last night, so I’ll have taco salad tonight to use up the leftovers. He’s thinking about spaghetti tomorrow and I’m enjoying a few days off from cooking. I feel fine, just not motivated this week.

Hi to everyone 🙂

• carolehalston
    Options

Taco salad is a favorite of mine but I never make it. I guess because I never have a taco bowl. 😏

• illimae
    Options

Carole, I don’t have a taco bowl either, just going to top everything on shredded lettuce in a regular bowl.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 842
    Options

I love tacos 🌮 great idea for dinner tomorrow gals! I am going "lite" hiking with a group of women friends tomorrow so that will be an easy option if I come home tired or in need of a nap 😴

• wallycat
    Options

yesterday's dinner.

Tonight, tofu udon noodle with broccoli.

• illimae
    Options

Yum!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

Reader - what is "lite" hiking?

I finally resumed walking. No excuse really why I quit so I started again 6/1. Today was day three for 2 hours at a brisk pace. Obviously before noon since by then it's 96 degrees. Fingers crossed that I can keep it up. It's interesting to consider the fits & starts. I walked several miles each way both to Jr. High & Hi School. I walked for 4 years on a college campus (no car). I walked every day with a buggy or stroller when my son was little. I walked several times a day for year when I quit smoking. I walked for more than a year during COVID - usually 6 miles a day. It's time to get going again.

Due to Civic Club activities & issues, dinner all last week was things like black olives, or one hot dog or Ruffles PT chips. Tonight I poached a salmon steak and made the delicious sauteed carrot recipe with dill & rosemary & bouillon & Honey. Served with the leftover Bob Evans Mashed Cauliflower. Reporting back that the taste was delicious but the consistency was WAY too thin. Think cream of wheat or grits with an extra cup of milk. Accompanied by a large glass of Spanish Tempranillo red wine. Now to find the recliner & a book with a glass of Bailey's Irish Cream - my choice of desserts instead of chocolate tonight.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight was seared chicken, Knorr chicken and herb rice and sautéed Brussels sprouts.

• reader425
    Options

Minus, I meant flat, non- hilly walking....but it was actually a bit tough for me. Like you I need to do it more. Pre-medicating with celebrex. Tomorrow could be rough.

Dinner was a burger from Shake shack. A first for me. Tasty.

• carolehalston
    Options

Yesterday morning I cut a rack of baby back ribs into pieces that would fit into a mid size slow cooker and set it at low out on the deck. By the time we got home from the Farmers Market about 1:30pm, the ribs had cooked to a stage that was too tender for finishing on the grill. So I warmed them up with barbecue sauce for dinner. We had them with canned Bush's Grillin' beans.

Tonight will be—ta dah—taco salad! I have a lb of ground beef in the freezer. And other ingredients including avocado and cheddar cheese.

The heat wave continues.

• carolehalston
    Options

The taco salad was delicious. I could eat another one tonight. This heat has me totally uninterested in cooking.

• aussie12
    aussie12 Member Posts: 421
    edited June 2023
    Options

Spaghetti Bolognaise from the other day.

• aussie12
    aussie12 Member Posts: 421
    edited June 2023
    Options

Off topic. Double rainbow the other day when we had a big storm. And my garden.

• eric95us
    Options

I sometimes get to see a double rainbow.

We were in Phoenix for the weekend, staying with friends and helping celebrate an 80th birthday.

• carolehalston
    Options

Beautiful rainbow. Yummy food.

Last night was Meatloaf Monday at nearby Clancy's. We went with another couple who spend the summer here. DH enjoyed his meatloaf and mashed potatoes with gravy and I enjoyed my walleye sandwich and glass of chardonnay.

It was cool enough at bedtime to turn off the a/c and open the bedroom window. By this morning we had pulled up the comforter.

Sending anti-stress vibes to Wally.

• eric95us
    Options

I meant to add….that is a bright rainbow. The ones I see around here seem to be a lot less bright.

• wallycat
    Options

Yesterday was a frozen burger, steamed asparagus and a sweet potato. Not sure if our planned grilled cheese will make it…DH has yet another doc appointment. It's killing me…sigh.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,870
    edited June 2023
    Options

Greetings all! I'm enjoying your foods if not my own. Don't know if I mentioned it but early in may I pulled a muscle lifting a flower basket which caused problems with my sciatica. It's been plaguing me now for a month. I finally went to the ortho doc who took x-rays and informed me that I have scoliosis and degenerating discs one of which is pinching the sciatic nerve. Wonderful. A round of steroids did nothing but I started physical therapy this week which I hope will bring me some relief. I've never given birth but I've had a ruptured appendix and I don't remember anything I've experienced hurting this bad - even a previous bout of sciatica. Between that and the other knee there are days I can't even walk.

Consequently, my appetite and meal prep have been hit and miss. There has been takeout, canned soups, scrambled eggs and meals from friends taking pity on me. We haven't starved but meals have been considerably less than inspiring. My poor DH, he deserves better. But tonight I'm fixing the very simple but tasty pasta with ground beef and Rao's. If I can stand long enough I'll fix a salad too. We'll see how that goes. DH will be happy about the pasta and indifferent about the salad.

Carole - I ate Cheerios a lot, and loved them, mainly because with diabetes you get more volume for your carb buck.. But you're right - they don't stick with you. I find plain granola and oatmeal do a better job but you get a pitifully small portion.

DH has ocular migraines as did his mother. He mostly gets vision disturbances but rarely a headache. He's had few of them in recent years.

Special - ugh on the stomach bug. How I hate norovirus. Hope you are over it.

Wally - I'm sorry you're having so much on your plate. I know the feeling and hope things even out for you.

Minus - I hope you ate the donut.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,000
    edited June 2023
    Options

auntienance, I’m so sorry to hear of your sciatic nerve pain, especially as you say it’s worse than other pain you’ve experienced. It’s understandable that it’s affecting your appetite and meal prep. I hope the physical therapy offers some relief.

Today we had Chicken Caesar salad using romaine and radishes from dh’s garden. Dh made the salad, adding store bought tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions. I boiled some eggs for topping. We just heat frozen cooked chicken strips on the stove. I used Good Seasons Italian dressing (dh is a Ranch guy) and it was pretty delicious. Lots of leftovers, I will probably add some green olives with the next salad serving.

• reader425
    Options

Tonight DH grilled 2 NY Strips he got at Costco and I made a summer "beach pasta salad". We are going away for a few days with some family to the shore and I'll bring that and a chocolate chip quick bread I made.

The salad is an easy, old standby. Makes a lot. Just pasta, tomato, cucumber, red onion tossed with oil and vinegar, a four seasons packet, and instead of "suddenly salad " seasoning ( loaded with msg) I threw in Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle. Keeps for days.

Thinking of all who have a more than full plate, for various reasons.

• carolehalston
    Options

Nance, hope PT helps. Sorry you're in so much pain. Must be depressing.

I really like pasta salad, but without raw onions.

We had a large salad topped with chicken thigh strips for dinner last night. Among the ingredients were slices of radish and salad turnips I bought at the Farmers Market. The turnips are white and the size of jumbo radishes and have a sweet tart taste.

We'll probably have store made cheddar brats for dinner.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,000
    Options

Ohmygosh, reader. I am a huge fan of pasta salad. Sometimes I make it for weeks and eat it daily for lunch or snack. I’m thinking your mention of four seasons is Good Seasons dressing and I’ve used that as well. Dh is something of a snob when it comes to Italian dressing (shame on him), so I sometimes substitute a bottle of Caesar salad dressing when I make pasta salad. I add the same things as you and include broccoli and julienne cut carrots. Never heard of Penzys Pasta Sprinkle but if I can find it, I’ll try it. Is it much different from Suddenly Salad?

• reader425
    Options

Divinemrsm, yes Good Seasons is the right term, haha! I too love, love pasta salads.. alas DH does not, ar least too often, but you've inspired me to do it more just for myself. And add carrots and broccoli

Penzys has stores but started online so it should be easy to find.

• wallycat
    Options

Nance, I'm so sorry for that pain. DH has degenerative bone-on-bone spots in his spine so it had been really hard to determine if the pain was coming from that or from all the cancer in every bone of his body, poor guy. Now he is having gum/dental issues and we suspect a side effect from the recent new radioligand therapy…but who knows. Getting old hurts. I hope you can get some pain resolution. Living with pain is the worst.

I'm due for my endoscopy tomorrow so I hope that won't open up another whole can o worms. OY! Terrified.

Chard, cheese, mushroom frittata last night and leftovers tonight.