Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    Options

When looking at recipes for Spanish rice, it dawned on me that what I wanted to make was Mexican rice. In the past I've had some problems with using uncooked brown rice in baked dishes. But not this time. I combined a can of chopped tomatoes and about half a cup of salsa and water in a large measuring cup, added chili powder and other powdered seasonings. I did not brown the two large pork chops. I put the chops and brown rice into a greased baking dish, poured the tomato mixture over all and sealed tightly with foil. Cooked in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 350. The result was completely satisfactory. There is enough leftover rice for another side dish.

I can make this dish in MN, using the outdoor gas grill as an oven. And using an aluminum foil baking pan. I favor dinner meals that can be prepared ahead of time and cooked while we're enjoying our cocktail.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

Squid/calamari curry of sorts tonight. LOL, on the fish hook! I think the "old wisdom" on squid is to cook it either 2 minutes or 2 hours; anything in between means rubbery. We'll see how I do, LOL.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Carole - the rice dish sounds delicious. It sounds like you would like Carolina Red Rice although I can’t recall if I’ve ever made it with brown rice.

Big lunch out today with DH’s sister and DBIL. I had lamb gyro “sliders” and a Greek salad. Very tasty and very filling. Dinner tonight will be cheese and onion omelets with a side of buttered toast.

• auntienance
    edited May 2023
    Options

I misspoke. This is Savannah Red Rice which I first had at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room in Savannah. It’s been a favorite since then.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

Today was homemade vegetable/beef soup. A neighbor gave me a bowl as a trade for a broccoli/cheddar quiche. Served with two Hawaiian Sweet rolls.

I made a 'salad' with sliced cucumbers, sweet onions, dill & sour cream to marinate overnight. I'll eat that tomorrow either with an avocado filled with tuna, or with hot dogs.

Does anyone have any idea how to find private messages? Or how to PM the MODS? If they're answering my questions, I don't know where and I'm definitely not seeing - which is why I'm posting the question here,….

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 847
    Options

Minus try clicking on your avatar. You should see icons along the top of the page. One is an envelope. That is where mine are.

Hope it helps!

• carolehalston
    Options

Nance, my rice dish was very similar to the one you posted. Your lunch sounds delicious.

DH and I had a leftovers buffet for dinner last night along with a tossed salad.

I asked dh last night if he had any preference for dinner tonight. About an hour later he said, "Pasta." We have cooked linguine in the freezer and several yellow squash in the refrigerator. The basis for a veggie pasta dish with cream cheese/sour cream sauce.

Wally, how was the squid curry dish?

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    Options

Minus, they answered you on this thread, which also gives out your personal email address, not sure you would want that exposed on a public platform. Shown at the top of "active" topics, where you have to pass by several threads from the mods.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Hi @goldie0827 and @minustwo,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I apologize that one of our moderators did this, and have edited the image to fix this. Our moderators have been reminded to be mindful when sharing screenshots to remove personally identifying information.

• wallycat
    edited May 2023
    Options

Carole, the curry was delicious. No rubbery squid! I slipped the rings in just before serving. But…we will have leftovers so I hpe reheating it won't destroy it. It was perfect.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641
    Options

I have leftovers for dinner tonight —- white bean soup or chicken wings, broccoli with cheddar cheese melted on it and rice…. both were good the first time —- think I will have the chicken.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,578
    Options

scans were good, stable, repeat in 3 months.

Tonight was grilled steak, grilled zucchini, sautéed carrots and a leftover piece of a spinach quesadilla. Dessert was cherry pie and vanilla ice cream.

• suncris
    suncris Member Posts: 5
    Options

When the weather warms up I enjoy making lighter pasta dishes. Tonight I made a lemon and basil bucatini with grilled lemon pepper chicken. Super easy to make and delicious. Plus, the leftovers are extra flavorful the next day.

• carolehalston
    Options

A complaint. The names on the posts are so tiny I have a problem reading them. So excuse any mistakes.

Iamnancy, your choice of leftovers would definitely provide me with options.

Mae, great news on the scans.

Suncris, I would gladly sit down with you for your light pasta meals.

My pasta meal changed from veggie pasta with cream cheese/sour cream sauce to Rao's with ground beef from the freezer. The latter had more appeal for me and was a lazy substitution. Enough leftovers for another lazy meal. Side was salad.

Tonight's dinner will possibly be catfish fillets and broccoli.

• wallycat
    Options

I'm going to try and figure out a way to use up the leftover basmati rice…not sure yet…fried rice or soup or who knows….

Illimae, WOOHOOO…lovely to hear your scans are stable!! You are my hero!!

I love all the food mentioned here. This thread offers so much inspiration!!

As for complaining: I still get booted off, I still have 26 bookmarks (but really only 3) and I have discussions I no longer care about and no idea how to delete them. I also wish the print were darker.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,062
    Options

That's good news Illimae. :-)

We have been in Phoenix, AZ…got home yesterday evening.

• auntienance
    Options

Illimae - great news on the scans!

Minus - you are one busy lady. I certainly hope your neighbors appreciate you.

Last night’s dinner of beef tips and noodles was not terribly satisfactory. The beef (top sirloin) was tough, the gravy thin. This is something I’ve fixed often. Apparently I’ve lost my touch. It must be a sign that I’m to quit cooking. Hopefully tonight’s offering of chicken parm will be better. The sides will be a little pasta and a small salad. We don’t usually have pasta two nights in a row but since it’s not the main event I think it’ll be ok. Besides, neither one of us have ever been known to spurn a pasta dish.

Anyone heard from Sandy? Hope everything is ok.

• carolehalston
    Options

Nance, sounds like as good an excuse as any to quit cooking! LOL. I understand the experience of making a familiar dish and having it not taste great. Last night's catfish did not disappoint. I had bought very small fillets, so breaded and fried them whole. They tasted really good with dh's tartar sauce. Even the steamed broccoli tasted good.

Tonight's dinner will be either chicken thighs or pork tenderloin. And butternut squash.

• goldie0827
    Options

Illimae, that is awesome news! Let's keep that going! I have scans in June, been over a year, so I guess it's time!

Nothing important or exciting on the food front here, all carry out/restaurant food! Mexican twice, pizza twice, after tonight, chicken picatta twice, broasted chicken/potatoes and ribs from Chicken Shack twice!

• wallycat
    Options

Frozen pizza tonight.

• minustwo
    Options

Nance - love the excuse to quit cooking. MAE - yes GREAT news about the scans.

Goldie & Reader - thanks for the tips. I do have an 'envelope' up at the top but there is no drop down list of the people I might want to PM - including the MODS. The Mods suggested 'quick links' on yet another thread, but can't find one of those either. And frankly, I'm close to saying 'screw it'. Except I'd really miss you all.

Dinner was two Oscar Meyer bun length hot dogs. How could I eat less healthy? I'll make up for it with a salad tomorrow.

Eric - I lost track. Is your MIL in assisted living now? In PHX?

• goldie0827
    Options

Minus, I'm not sure if you are trying to message someone new or what. If I click on your name, it shows "message" and if I click on that I can message you. If I click on the envelope, my messages show in like a drop down menu.

• carolehalston
    Options

Minus, don't give up. We would miss you too much.

Where is Sandy?

Last night's meal got the BLAH rating. I marinated the pork tenderloin in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary and other seasonings. Cooked it at high temperature in air fryer, not overcooked. Side was butternut squash seasoned with salt and butter. Condiments were honey to drizzle on the squash if wanted, applesauce in a jar. We didn't go to bed hungry.

A slice of freshly baked Einkorn whole grain bread with butter saved the meal. I will miss this bread during the summer when I don't have a conventional oven. On the plus side, we buy loaf bread in MN called Dakota style whole grain that is quite good. It's widely available, including at Walmart's. The slices are a reasonable size.

Tonight is leftover pasta and a big salad.

• wallycat
    Options

Leftover frozen 'za from yesterday.

My endoscopy is scheduled for june 9th and as is my typical reaction, I'm freakin' out. Man, ladies, HOW some of you hold it together…I wish I had 1/4 of that ability.

• minustwo
    Options

Goldie - well 'hell's bells' - clicking on someone's avatar to send a PM is just so easy that I missed it.

Carole - Sandy has posted on some other threads.

Today's meal was a delicious patty melt and fries at at Angie's Country Kitchen with my ex-dh. He helped me fix some garden hose issues so I bought his lunch.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,032
    Options

Glad to know Sandy is out and about on the forum. Have also been wondering about SpecialK.

• wallycat
    Options

Glad to hear Sandy is OK. Miss her food and wine reviews!

I'm making Filipino chicken adobo tonight with bok choy and either rice or corn.

• minustwo
    Options

I hope SpecialK checks in soon. I especially miss her.

Today I went to my grand-niece's piano recital. She is 7 and most of the other children were 5-9. As you might imagine, some struggled with 'twinkle twinkle little star'. My niece played Schubert's March Millitaire.

(BTW - how do we now either underline or highlight with italics or bold???)

Dunch afterwards was at Hungary's restaurant - a ton of vegetarian choices in addition to meat & fish. My nephew was overjoyed with all the vegan selections. I had Penne Rustica with spinach, wild mushrooms & roasted tomato cream sauce.

• carolehalston
    Options

Mae recently mentioned eating at Texas Roadhouse, I recall. We have one fairly close but avoid eating there because it's so noisy. And we don't usually go to steak houses. Yesterday afternoon we broke the rule and met my youngest sister and her dh, who are fans of the restaurant, at 5 pm. I wrongly thought we would be avoiding the crowd. There were possibly more children than adults seated in our section and the noise level was beyond high.

DH and my sister and her dh enjoyed a "blooming onionm" and I tried an appetizer that was quite spicy, little fried balls of jalapeno and cheese. I forget the name. They were good once they cooled a little. I won't go into details on the meal but I had a top shelf margarita that was outstanding. The motivation behind the dinner was to get together with my sister and her dh and we enjoyed as much of the conversation as we could hear. LOL.

Dinner might be a fried rice dish using the leftover roasted pork tenderloin. I'll have to cook the rice in advance, not a problem with the handy dandy little rice cooker.

Happy Mother's Day to you moms.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,062
    Options

Minus. On my browser, I highlight the text I want to format and what I call a comic book bubble comes up that gives a bunch of formatting options.

Dinner last night was trail mix. We went on a nearly 6 mile walk around a lake…Frankie, our dog who will be 13 in August went along and was still prancing at the end. That evening we took him for his mile long pre bedtime "potty walk" and he was happy to be out on another walk. :-)

We still thinking what to make for dinner. My LDL cholesterol went back up about 60 points when we stopped the vegan/vegetarian meals, so we're going back toward that direction again to see if it helps.

Today is bread day. I've got a sourdough sponge proofing.

I sometimes wonder if the Texas Roadhouse is more noisy than a busy rifle range. But, when we were going there, it wasn't for "the quiet ambiance". :-)

I, too, am missing the "old" (previous, maybe a better word…..) regulars.