Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

Thanks Eric. I did PM the Mods and they shared that too - below in case I'm not the only one having issues:

! If you highlight the word(s) you would like to format, a little menu will appear, and give you the buttons to click on to bold, italicize, strikethrough, inline code or make something into a link

Oh Eric… sourdough. YUM. How is your MIL? I can't remember where she is settled now. Sorry about the darn LDL. I finally agreed to a minimum dose of generic crestor, since 3 years of diet & walking improved the HDL and the Triglyceride numbers, but not so much the LDL. But I still believe in walking & veggie diets. I might add fish or chicken to my veggies/rice/pasta a once or twice a week but I usually don't reach for beef. That doesn't mean I still don't like a good T-bone or RibEye occasionally. But vegan w/no milk, eggs or cheese is just not on for me.

On that note - I have my half of leftover BEEF patty melt in the fridge, so that may be dinner tonight instead of the rice I cooked and chilled for shrimp fried rice. And now I have the leftover pasta from yesterday's outing. I seem to just get my fridge organized for two or three days of meals and then there's "must eat" stuff. Somehow by not paying attention, I have two bags of Dole Sunflower Crunch salad in my fridge at one time!!! Sigh. At least cabbage lasts longer than lettuce.

Texas Roadhouse equals or exceeds the noise at Pappadeaux or Pappacitos. UGH. If I feel I have to eat at one of those places, I'm either there at 11am when they open or I eat very late lunch around 3pm. Actually the noise at 4pm on a weekday isn't too terrible. I used to go to Pappadeaux for the Cobb salad with crab, but after COVID they removed "Louie" dressing from the menu. How can a supposed Louisiana/Gulf restaurant not even have remoulade??

Sorry for the length - but one more question. Has anyone made Lebanese Mujadara? It looks super easy and I love lentils & rice & onions (the three ingredients) so I think I'll give this a try.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,062
    Options

Perhaps veggan is a better term as we do eat some eggs. We are not wanting to be super strict on the diet. "90% strict" is kind of what we're hoping for and I'll see how the cholesterol numbers change. I told the doctor what we are doing and he wants to check it in a few months.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Happy Mother’s Day to all. I’ve been missing my own mother today as I know many of you are as well.

Last night was skillet roasted lemon chicken with a side of boiled potatoes and peas with meted butter and a liberal sprinkling of Penzys SunnyParis seasoning. It was all delicious.

Tonight will be carry out Chinese - vegetable fried rice for me, spring rolls and possibly hot and sour soup. DH will have his usual orange chicken. A carb heavy but satisfying meal that I don’t have to fix. Win win!

• auntienance
    Options

I just counted and to get to this page I have to click on something seven different times after I sign in when it used to be one or two. This is not an improvement.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,840
    Options

The skillet rice dish last night was delicious. Diced smoked sausage and leftover cooked pork tenderloin, mushrooms, small sweet colored peppers and cooked brown rice. I grated some parm reg on my portion and dh doused his with soy sauce. I was happy. Our side was steamed yellow squash with melted butter.

Slim pickings in the freezer. Tonight will be chicken thighs.

I will have brown rice topped with a couple of eggs for breakfast.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,578
    Options

Dinner was Angel hair with Roa’s marinara and a hunk of french bread, easy and so good.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

tofu/cauliflower indian "stew" of sorts. Not fabulous but not bad. Leftovers tomorrow; Going into Sequim tomorrow.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 847
    Options

A friend's hubby gifted us homemade sausage so we had them, grilled, along with baked beans, potato salad and a quick caprese ( sliced tomato, shredded mozzarella and o/v.) Tasty.

Site navigation for me completely changed overnight. It took me many tries to navigate here. I hope it's a short-lived lived glitch.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,033
    Options

reader, the sausage dinner sounds delish!

• eric95us
    Options

Last night was one of those "jump up" nights. We took our dog to get his teeth cleaned. Drop him off at 8am, pick him up around 4pm. We got home around 5pm and neither of us felt like cooking, so we had whatever we could find in the refrigerator.

He had four teeth pulled. :-(

He is fine….his "evening potty walk" was 1-1/2 miles and he very much wanted to go farther.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight is pork chops, rosemary potatoes, Brussels sprouts and sautéed carrots. Everything turned out great and at a good temperature.

• carolehalston
    Options

Good food photo, as always, Mae.

We ate at George's Mexican restaurant with neighbors last night. I had a top shelf margarita and George's nachos, my usual. We were comfortable eating outside on the patio, thanks to ceiling fans. Inside dining room is too noisy with live music. Are we in the minority, wanting to have conversation during a meal?

• wallycat
    Options

You are not alone, Carole. I don't know that I care about conversation so much as I hate the buzz and loud noise when I'm dining…well…anytime, I guess. I'm officially a curmudgeon, LOL.

Last of the leftover tofu/cauli tonight.

Illimae, yup, the pictures are so beautiful. Love your meal!

• eric95us
    Options

I'd rather have a nice conversation as well.

• auntienance
    Options

Wow - I don’t know what happened but as soon as I signed in after only one nag screen I ended up right on this page. Awesome!

I hate noisy restaurants. I have tinnitus and even moderate background noise makes it difficult to hear conversation. The louder the restaurant the less enjoyable the meal for me.

Today was a Costco run so I picked up some ribs from the deli. They are usually quite good. Sides will be baked beans and a cucumber tomato salad.

Illimae your veggies look delectable!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,033
    edited May 2023
    Options

Count me in as another who doesn’t like noisy restaurants. Once after a morning of getting up extra early, spending an hour+ in traffic then getting scans at the hospital and having a dr appt., I met my son for lunch (he lives not far from the cancer center). We went to some supposedly trendy little place which overall I didn’t care for and the worst part was they had this very loud blender in constant use behind the counter that made gawd awful noise which jarred my already raw and overstimulated psyche from my morning ordeal.

There was another time when dh and I went to a newly remodeled restaurant on a lake and they also had a blender behind the counter that was quite irritating. Plus the remodel turned the place into a much younger person’s hang out and I wasn’t feeling the new vibe.

Occasionally, we end up at a restaurant at the height of its busy time when everyone seems to have converged on it at once, and then as we finally get seated and get our meal, suddenly most of the activity dies down as people leave.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight was a seared sirloin, asparagus and garlic & turmeric cauliflower. The steak is wonderful but too much, so half will probably go into scrambled eggs tomorrow.

• carolehalston
    Options

Last night's dinner was Yuck. Salmon steak out of the freezer and leftover green pea salad on romaine with some sliced avocado. The best part was the avocado and romaine. I over cooked the salmon. We ate our dinner without commenting. LOL.

Three dinners to go. A package of ground beef and a pork tenderloin in the freezer with some odds and ends.

Glad I have some company in disliking noisy restaurants. The loud blender made me cringe.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    Options

I haven't been in a restaurant in 3 years, since Covid! I'm not vaccinated, so a bit scared. I chose not to get vaxed due to them not knowing how it would affect cancer treatments. Knock on wood, I haven't had it! And now, I would be dining alone anyways. I will do carry outs/drive thru's on occasion.

Has anyone noticed, our locations have disappeared again!

• eric95us
    Options

Goldie, I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. Either I'm not very observant, or I already know where the usual posters are located.

I don't think I mentioned it…the garage final inspection is complete and the inspector signed off on the "certificate of occupancy", so I can officially start using the garage. Now comes the effort of moving stuff from storage to the garage…and reducing the storage unit fees.

Dinner last night was spaghetti with Rao's marinara with added peppers (sweet and hot), onion and some extra garlic.

Sharon and I can't decide how her mom is doing. Some days she's okay and some days she is so short of breath that she can't carry on a conversation. The other thing is that she's lost about 40 pounds since the end of November…She's not eating because her stomach is upset and the doctor says her stomach is upset because she's not eating…. :-(

• minustwo
    Options

Eric - definitely a conundrum about your MIL. Is she relatively content where she is? Or lots of stress with that? And maybe nothing to tempt her to eat because (OMG) it might not be healthy?? My old standby would be Beneprotein. No smell, no taste and mixes & dissolves with anything - from instant breakfast to applesauce to mashed potatoes to oatmeal.

Mae - I love the vegetables.

Carole - last minutes clean out. Have a safe trip.

Goldie - I HATE that the locations are gone again.

Glad Nance checked in. Still waiting to hear form Special K.

• wallycat
    Options

Last night was costco hummus and 1/2 a ham sandwich (that I schlepped all the way to seattle and back). What a horrific experience traveling there….glad no accidents but JAYSUS the 6 lane xpressways and traffic, traffic, traffic!! Coming home, an accident on the other side ..and MILE upon mile upon mile of cars that were just sitting….the thought of doing this 5 more times is enough to make me puke. 18 miles from the Edmonds ferry to Swedish hospital…over an hour to get there. I am screaming very loudly in my head.

We'll finish the sandwiches for lunch and maybe do a burger or a frozen za with a salad tonight.

DH is doing very well from the Pluvicto, so far. The hardest is remembering to stay 3 feet apart for 3 days. He's radioactive. Cat is upset there is no lap for him, LOL.

• minustwo
    Options

Wally - I feel your pain. Last time I was in Washington I flew into SEA-TAC , rented a car and navigated out to stay with a friend in Sequim. The ferry was difficult at rush hours.

I took a day trip to visit a friend in Port Washington. And another day trip into the Olympic National Park. Then I drove down to Portland and out to stay with a friend on the coast in Newport, Oregon. Then because I'm totally nuts - drove down to San Francisco to see my son. I don't mind driving as long as I'm not in a hurry & can avoid rush hours. Oh - and if I have a good PAPER map that I can study in advance since I'm not conversant with GPS.

Sorry to hear that you'll have repeat trips to Swedish Hospital since they don't want you to stay over night. Hope your DH does well with the treatments.

• wallycat
    Options

Wow, minus, I'm impressed with the distances you drive and alone. I'm not great with directions and always second guess myself. Paris was the only place I felt grounded and knew where I was going…that was after a week. WHY oh why didn't I get the navigation gene! Thank you for the kind comments for DH. He's hanging in there so far. I've doubted what the onco said and sent him some abstracts and hope they reply on Monday.

Tuna melt tonight with some odd sides to use up (baked beans, cauliflower, green beans). Last night was the frozen burger with the baked beans and green beans.

• wallycat
    Options

Tonight, salmon burgers, roasted cauliflower with red onion and a side of corn (with butter).

• reader425
    edited May 2023
    Options

Scottish salmon on the grill, kale salad and baked sweet potatoes, along with a sweet rose were dinner. Great weather, and DH grilled the salmon perfectly. A food one.

• reader425
    Options

I corrected the word food to good 3x. Oh well you get the idea.

• illimae
    Options

Dinner tonight was seasoned and seared chicken, spinach, broccoli and a brown rice/quinoa blend. I didn’t like like rice blend much but everything else was great.

• minustwo
    Options

A friend invited me to go out with her daughter to one of my favorite restaurants - Laurenzos - for Prime Rib French Dip. Yum - but way too much food - and that's even before I brought 1/2 home. Accompanied by a glass of 1000 Stories Zin.

Big neighborhood Spring Fling yesterday. I'm too tired to even write, but it went well.

• wallycat
    Options

Made a pot of red beans, used up the roasted cauliflower and added scrambled eggs. YUMMY.