Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    edited March 16
    Options

My meal was cheerios with a banana. I wasn't very hungry and I'm trying to use up milk!!

Somehow daylight savings has gotten the better of me. I have been eating around 4pm the last several months. Now it's 7pm before I'm even aware it's time to start cooking. So much for my planned crab linguine.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,065
    Options

Carole, good that you passed your stress test…I guess nothing else is in the way of the replacement/exchange except for the scheduling.

Special.

Broken ankles are no fun…. Hopefully it's not anything complicated to repair.

I remember the same thing about fruits in southern California. The commissary on the marine base had excellent fruits of all kinds….even better than the stores had in town.

I haven't had tuna "steaks" in so long that I've forgotten what they taste like. We do eat other fish though and the air fryer's fish setting does a great job with everything we've tried.

It has been raining-snowing-"graupeling" for the past couple of days and the clay type mud is reaching "legendary status". I have a pair of mud boots that I wear outside and pull off outside the door. When walking around (walking with the dog), my boot prints are about 4 inches deep. The driveway is gravel out to the road so that's not too bad, however, there is a dirt (currently mud) road between the driveway and the main road. Every car around here, ours too, is the same mud color. If It gets worse, I'll be using the old 1950 Jeep that has the old WW2 style NDT tires that are perfect for "swimming" through the mud.

Dinner tonight was chicken & dumplings.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Eric, I wouldn't be taking a walk in your yard! LOL.

The best part of last night's dinner was the delicious salad with favorite ingredients. I had a small portion of the oven barbecued pork, which was overcooked. The turnips were good. A ho hum meal.

Not sure about tonight's meal.

• eric95us
    Options

While walking the dog last night, a jack rabbit, about 10 feet (downwind) from the dog, took off. The dog jumped after the rabbit, the leash went taut and I went skiing. I somehow managed to stay upright.

• carolehalston
    Options

Eric, what a funny word picture! I've no doubt I would have hit the mud.

I'm thawing a carton of raw oysters I froze in December because we didn't get around to eating them. I read that freezing can change the texture, which seems reasonable. I got out my recipe for Oysters Mosca, a version of Italian baked oysters. I went to the store for parsley, green onions and a loaf of French bread. I have the other ingredients.

• minustwo
    Options

The crab Linguine was forgettable. In fact I'll eat any pasta, anytime - but I would have had to be starving to eat this. I actually threw most of it away.

Eric - love the dog story. Carole - if the Oysters Mosca turns out good, I'd like the recipe.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Been off here (except the "Older" thread) because I really don't dine out much anymore. Still have an appetite but get full pretty quickly. Yesterday Bob brought home a "St Joseph's Cake" (actual a baba ricotta). I was curious about what it tasted like and planned to cut myself a sliver…but I was too full from the shrimp egg foo yung I made for dinner. Started mid-Jan. at 183, BMI 34.11, and today I'm at 158.5, BMI 28.99. Lightest I've been in over a year. a1c is down to 5.5. But I don't really crave anything. My gut can no longer handle sugar (which is fine because I don't want it anyway), I'm hydrating like crazy, eating small portions and carefully including whole grains and a wider variety of fruits in my diet. Today's breakfast was prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, a broiled half-tomato with fresh basil (gotta pinch off the plant to keep it from flowering), and a small chunk of Parm. Regg.

Some may say I'm taking the easy way out with Zepbound, but I pay full price (Medicare doesn't cover ANY weight loss meds and mfr. coupons require insurance) less GoodRx or SingleCare discount. It's pricey, but what we save on restaurant meals (especially now that we bring home more leftovers) pays for more than half of it; and this year I have to start mandatory IRA withdrawals anyway. Side effects thus far (still on the lowest dose) are manageable. It's basically giving me the "willpower" I was never really able to have or maintain. I'm on it "for life;" but at 73 that doesn't sound as onerous as if I were 20 years younger.

Lori, holding you in my heart and hoping your pain doesn't get worse for a long time. 

Only travel plan thus far is an eclipse-watching trip to Cleveland Apr. 7-9. 

Tonight we're going out for tapas so I can eat as sparingly as I need to, tomorrow night to Cooper's Hawk for their St. Patrick's Day specials. (I've been lusting after corned beef & cabbage, and will have lots of leftovers. Bob hates cabbage, so I can make him a Reuben if he didn't have a meat lunch (he's doing Lent).

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 895
    Options

Eric, It sounds like you have entered mud season. Our snowfall is down this year so hopefully there will be less mud.

Carole, I have never frozen oysters before. I hope your Oysters Mosca turned out well.

Minus, Who would have thought that Cheerios and banana would taste better than crab linguine.

Sandy, Glad you are doing well with the Zepbound. Tapas are a great idea for a meal out.

Dinner tonight was shepherd’s pie made with ground lamb. We’ll have corned beef and cabbage tomorrow so I guess it’s a St. Patrick’s weekend.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

You have to avoid places where you would be around a group of people because of RIPF?

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

illimae and maggie15 - those both sound delish!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Making the traditional St. Patty’s Day dinner!

• maggie15
    Options

Homemom, I (and my DH) have to live like it is still covid lockdown. I can be inside with other people for more than 20 min. only if everyone in addition to me is masked which means no eating or drinking. I can go without a mask at a sparsely attended outdoor event (spent a couple of weeks in FL watching showjumping which only has crowds one night a week) but I need to double mask if it is crowded (like the spring training game I went to.) What I really miss is live music and not being able to spend much time with my family since they can't stay over or have a meal in bad weather despite the long drive. The rules are no respiratory infections, no intubation and no meds with ILD as a SE. However, to feel grateful I just have to recall the phone call from my pulmonologist telling me it now looked like I would see my next birthday. This is not exactly how I envisioned my life after bc treatment but I'm no longer tethered to an oxygen tank and it sure beats the alternative.

Tonight's dinner was corned beef and cabbage. It's Irish American rather than Irish but my DH agrees that a good cut is much tastier than boiled bacon, the Irish equivalent. My DS and DD both made green jello with a mini marshmallow shamrock on top for dessert but I’m happy to ditch that now that they’re grown and gone.

When I lived in Ireland St. Patrick's was a day off work for attending church. There is a large multi-day parade in Dublin now since it brings in the tourists.

• minustwo
    Options

maggie - sorry you still have such a stringent mask protocol. I pretty much still wear a mask if I go out to eat or to the grocery store or…. I actually went to a small, local volunteer play last weekend. Mostly older people, but I had my mask in place. People look at me like I'm nuts, but frankly, I don't care. I don't need a respiratory infection.

Trying to clean in case my son actually does come to visit on Tuesday for a couple of days. Dinner was an English Muffin with peanut butter. His partner is vegetarian so I try to cook 'meat'. I have chicken breasts to make Laurie's Salsa Chicken and a pork tenderloin which I'll serve with scalloped potatoes. And then he's gone again….

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Sorry about your basically having to near-quarantine, Maggie. I have an MGUS, but my heme-onc says it's "very slight" (her words) and to take common-sense measures to avoid infections. I am fully vaccinated against every respiratory pathogen for which there's a vaccine: second booster of the new COVID vaccine (shot #8), TDaP, flu, RSV, Prevnar 13 & 20, Pneumovax. I mask when shopping (especially at pharmacies, which are—duh—full of sick people), at medical appts. including PT, on public transit (and planes), sitting in small theaters. I am rolling the dice on restaurant dining—which I do less often on Zepbound. I wash my hands often enough that I am using hand cream like crazy. Otherwise, I'm living my life.

Brunch today was an indiv. container of cottage cheese with chopped raw veg stirred in, plus a slice of toasted Dave's Killer Bread. Kept me so full I had to take several ginger chews and a Gas-X. Went to Cooper's Hawk Winery for St. Pat's Day dinner special of corned beef & cabbage. Gargantuan portions, of course—took 2/3 of my plate home (including all the potatoes. Didn't drink, but did take a sip & a sniff of Bob's "Volcano" red (an Etna Rosso-style blend of grapes from Sicily). If I have any dessert tonight it'll probably be a protein bar or shake…maybe. (Getting too late to eat).

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who celebrate.

We had leftovers (DH had his tuna steak leftover so I thawed more scallops and ate them raw), with our leftover sides. Tomorrow, I'm making Italian sausage, potatoes and cabbage…not sure on the details yet but all the ingredients are there.

Maggie, I bought some frozen okra in hopes of making that recipe you linked for me. I may try to use tofu instead of chicken since I need to use up some I already have.

My "green" dessert was a small pour of Green Chartreuse…a generous gift from DH's daughter.

• carolehalston
    Options

I got out the InstaPot to cook the corned beef brisket for dinner last night. In searching for recipes with cooking time, I came upon the Instant Pot website and used the recipe there. 70 minutes on High pressure yielded a perfectly done brisket. While it was resting, I cooked cabbage wedges, potatoes, carrots and onions kept intact with toothpicks for three minutes. A little overcooked but good.

Nance will approve that I may start using the InstaPot more.

I love reading comments following recipes and the comments following this recipe were all over the place. Perfect outcome. Not cooked enough. Not enough liquid. Cooked too much. Next time I would cook the veggies 2 minutes. Of course, this oldie printed out the recipe. I need to make a notation.

The Oysters Mosca wasn't as good as in the past. The thawed oysters were too varied in size and watery. Minus, the recipe has a lot of butter and olive oil. I doubt you would make it but I will post the recipe if you like.

• eric95us
    Options

I have a falling apart cookbook with pencil written notes in the margins. Reading those early 1980s notes brings back some memories and also causes some smiles.

One note said, "No hope. No ideas. Mitzy ignored it." It was a beef recipe and Mitzy was the neighbor's dog.

That's got to be annoying to still be needing the masks. Where we live, COVID has pretty much disappeared, but RSV and influenza "took over" and those two are also best avoided.

• carolehalston
    Options

I have my implant replacement surgery scheduled for next Tuesday at one of the two local hospitals. I'm nervous but relieved at the prospect of getting the surgery done. If all goes well, I should have adequate time to recover before May 20, the date we plan to head north to MN. Between now and Tuesday, I hope to get some yard work done. I have 30 bales of pine straw stacked up outside for mulching.

Tonight will be a vegetarian main dish. Mushrooms, leeks, spinach and brown rice. No recipe at the moment.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, It's too bad the thawed oysters didn't work out. If you ever have to use frozen oysters again oyster stew might be a better bet. I also print out recipes so I can make notes on them for the next time I use them. It's good that your surgery date should fit in with your travel plans.

Wally, You win the prize for the best St. Patrick's day dessert!

Sandy, I should try Dave's Killer Bread. I can buy an excellent low carb bread made by When Pigs Fly bakery in York ME but the delivery day to my local grocery store is so variable I can never count on being able to get some. It would mean a special trip to Target, though.

Minus, My brother's wife is vegetarian so he pretty much eats what she cooks. When he gets a craving for meat he throws some on the grill to add to his dinner. His cholesterol did improve after they moved in together.

Eric, The neighbor's dog refusing to eat a ground beef recipe is the ultimate insult. It must be fun to read the comments from forty years ago.

Dinner tonight was Reuben sandwiches made from the leftover corned beef.

• eric95us
    Options

Yes, some of the notes are fun to read. They were from my university days.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Made Shake n Bake boneless por ribs, rice and beets for dinner tonight.

• minustwo
    Options

My son flew in for a couple of days. He wanted to stop & get 'tex-mex' like his childhood. We had totally forgetable meal. I couldn't eat my Enchiladas Verdes at all since they were stuffed with cilantro. I'll make Laurie's Salsa Chicken tomorrow.

• maggie15
    Options

Dinner tonight was unstuffed cabbage rolls. It used up the leftover cabbage.

• carolehalston
    Options

Enjoy your son's visit Minus.

We had leftover beef stew with rice last night. Also a delicious romaine salad with Greek olives, blue cheese and avocado.

Tonight will be another leftover meal with corned beef and veggies. I'll cook more cabbage.

Thinking about Nance and hoping she and her dh are doing well.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

leftovers tonight

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

We've been eating leftovers. I plan to thaw one of the fish I caught, for tomorrow.

Raining and cooling down (YAY). The dreaded back-to-seattle will be Tuesday and I hope the last follow-up for DH's surgical stuff.

Carole, I hope your DH is doing well with his pain. I'll be thinking about you for your exchange surgery.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

mommy - I love beets! DH and DS, not so much, but DD is a fan!

carole - glad your surgery is scheduled - sometimes I think the anticipation is worse than the event. I think you will have plenty of time to get back up to speed before your planned trip. How is DH doing?

I intended to make corned beef and cabbage for the 17th, but didn't actually grocery shop until that day. It is a time intensive dish and I missed the window. I should make it now because all that corned beef is on sale most likely. My mom always made it, it is a memory for sure. I have two recipes - a boiled version and a baked one. I actually like both ways.

Last night's dinner was honey mustard chicken for DH - mixed up honey and multiple kinds of mustard with some smoked paprika and onion powder and slathered it on chicken breasts. I put Greek dressing and garlic pepper on mine, and baked. Had roasted broccoli with it and some rice pilaf. I need to think about what to do for tonight. I have some of the Greek flavored chicken left and also a salad kit. I may stretch it with additional chopped romaine and add avocado and feta.

minus - enjoy your visit with your DS!

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, I hope your DH's surgical follow-up goes well.

Minus, Your son will probably enjoy your homecooked meals more than something from a random "Tex-Mex" restaurant. The only place I have had good luck stopping in at the local "Tex-Mex" is in northern California where the food is closer to Mexican. There is nothing very good where I live now so I cook my own not quite authentic but not bad recipes.

Special, I bought an extra piece of corned beef since it was on sale and it had an expiration date six weeks in the future. That's enough time to enjoy a second round.

Dinner tonight was meatloaf made from ground chicken. I’m heading out soon to get another COVID booster when CVS is deserted.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Tonight was a filet and shrimp surf n turf with roasted red potatoes and carrots, everything turned out just about perfect (except that I spilled the rosemary and had to scrape some off)

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Look at the size of this thing! DH suggested cabbage rolls, so that’s what he’s cooking tonight.